Shorai Lithium 12 Volt Battery
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:21 am quote
Thanks for the update, Jay. Much appreciated.
Addicted
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar
Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:10 pm quote
Up Date on Lithium Iron Battery
My Scoot is hooked on Lithium!!!
So am I!!!

Hate to sound redundant but a strong battery makes my ET4 start and run better than when it was new.

You won't believe the power of these lithium Iron batteries.
Molto Verboso
Former owner of an ET4, GTS 250, BV 500, and Buddy 150
Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:26 pm quote
My BV500 battery is toast. I need a new one and am very interested in giving the Shorai a try. How do you cross-reference with the Yuasa? Just get a comparable size and AH rating?
Addicted
Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:04 pm quote
phuocsandiego wrote:
My BV500 battery is toast. I need a new one and am very interested in giving the Shorai a try. How do you cross-reference with the Yuasa? Just get a comparable size and AH rating?
Yes, select your Lithium Iron battery by amp/hour rating.
I see Batterystuff.com has the Lithium Iron battery.
Link http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/
After another Google search I see lots of folks are selling the Lithium Iron battery.

Better yet, go to http://www.shoraipower.com/ and use the battery cross-over selector. Just enter your OEM battery number.

Looks like a Shorai Lithium 12 AH PBEq 12 Volt LiFePO4
ATV and Motorcycle Battery (+ -) for a BV500
http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX12A1-BS12.html
$124
Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:22 am quote
ExonicJay wrote:
phuocsandiego wrote:
After another Google search I see lots of folks are selling the Lithium Iron battery.

Better yet, go to http://www.shoraipower.com/ and use the battery cross-over selector. Just enter your OEM battery number.

$124
Thanks man! I'll place my order today.
Addicted
Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am quote
phuocsandiego wrote:
ExonicJay wrote:
phuocsandiego wrote:

$124
Thanks man! I'll place my order today.
The lithium Iron battery comes in different terminal configurations.
(+ & - terminals can be reversed)
Be sure to order the correct terminal polarity for your BV500.
Hooked
vespa 300 gts
Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:50 am quote
Wow Post
This has to be one of the most interesting MV posts I've ever read; Well written and excellent photos!

Kuddos ExonicJay!
Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:57 am quote
This might be a stupid question but can you still charge your battery on a charger such as a Tecmate or a Battery Tender?
Resident Grump
MAC motor 2WD. 30 Oct 2006
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:00 am quote
2011Super wrote:
This might be a stupid question but can you still charge your battery on a charger such as a Tecmate or a Battery Tender?
Only for brief periods, no more than 10 minutes! Longer is said to damage the battery.
Ossessionato
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:03 am quote
louisq wrote:
2011Super wrote:
Only for brief periods, no more than 10 minutes! Longer is said to damage the battery.
Good to know and thanks louisq. So if you already own a battery charger than you would likely need to buy the Shorai Battery charger too.
Resident Grump
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:05 am quote
Next battery for me! Thanks Jay!
http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?
A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

If you are storing your vehicle and want to check the remaining capacity, or you're a racer with a constant-loss system, you'll want to know how resting voltage (i.e. with no load or load under 200mA) maps to remaining capacity. LFX batteries should be maintained such that 20% capacity remains at minimum, as best practice. Use a good-quality voltmeter to check remaining capacity, and consider recharge whenever the battery capacity falls to about 50% remaining. Of course, if you get the Shorai dedicated BMS01 charger, you can just hit the "Store Mode" button and leave it to do the work for you.

Q. Should I use a battery tender with a Li-Ion battery?

A. The short answer is "only if you really need to". Most powersports enthusiasts have gotten used to hooking up a tender to their lead-acid batteries, all the time. Shorai LFX have much slower self-discharge than the best lead acid do (1/6 to 1/7, on average), they do not sulfate as capacity drops, and they are the ultimate "deep cycle" battery, which means that they can still crank your vehicle even if the remaining capacity is quite low. Therefore most riders will not need to use a tender at all. Even a charger or tender uses energy you have to pay for, and there is always the possibility that a charger or tender can fail in some way, so if not really needed the best practice is to not use one.
A fully charged LFX can sit for a year or more and still retain adequate starting capacity, without damaging the battery. As such, any vehicle which has no current flowing when the key is OFF should never need a tender. At most it should be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on the average storage temperature (cool storage is much better for any battery). Many older vehicles and most dirtbike/atv fall into this category.
Newer vehicles may have a significant draw even when the key is OFF, to maintain clocks and computers, etc. In this case we expect that a few hours of riding per month will be all that is needed to avoid tending. If you know that you will go a number of weeks or months without riding, you can either attach a tender, or disconnect the negative cable from the battery. In any case, during storage you may use the voltage chart above and an accurate voltmeter, and consider recharging when the battery is around the 50% capacity remaining mark, or above.
Ossessionato
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:13 am quote
It looks then like the Tecmate OptiMate 4 battery charger then would not work for anyone who uses one. I have one on each bike and plug it in after each ride.
Quote:
**The OptiMate’s high voltage desulfation mode cannot engage unless the battery is first disconnected from the vehicle’s electrical system. However, even if the battery is not disconnected, the OptiMate cannot damage sensitive vehicle electronics as the higher voltage mode can only engage if minimal or zero current is flowing into the battery.
It looks like I would not need to plug one in at all and could sell mine if I decided to upgrade the battery down the road. Interesting...
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:17 am quote
The optimate 4 would be fine. It only goes into desulphation mode if the battery indicates (by its charge discharge characteristics) that it is sulphated. This won't happen with these batteries, so no worries.

But as above, you shouldn't ever need to use a battery tender anyway.
Ossessionato
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:18 am quote
jimc wrote:
The optimate 4 would be fine. It only goes into desulphation mode if the battery indicates (by its charge discharge characteristics) that it is sulphated. This won't happen with these batteries, so no worries.

Thanks Jim!
Resident Grump
Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:28 am quote
An extremely rare case of bad advice.
jimc wrote:

Their manual sys NO!

http://www.accumate.co.uk/Optimate%204%20Instructions.pdf

Picture 2.png

Ossessionato
Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:49 am quote
Here was the email I got back from Tecmate regarding their Optimate 4.
Quote:
Hello Trent

The OptiMate 4 is fine for maintaining your Lithium batteries once they are fully charged.
However we will be releasing the new OptiMate Lithium in the 4th quarter of 2011, which will be suitable for complete care of Lithium batteries.

Thanks for your interest in our products.

Mike Cooper
TecMate North America
www.tecmate.com
Tel : 905 337 2095
Email : mikecooper@tecmate.com
Resident Grump
Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 am quote
Thanks! I will go for the Shorai charger since tecmate seems confused about their product.

How do you get the battery fully charged to use the optimate 4 charger?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:22 am quote
They were being very cautious in their reply. If your battery has no problem cells (and one of these shouldn't) then the anti-sulphation higher-voltage pulses won't happen, and you could charge it from quite deeply discharged. In any case, those pulses on the Optimate are current limited, so should have no adverse effects anyway. The danger to these batteries would come from a large car-battery anti-sulphation conditioner, which might provide even-higher-voltage spikes with a much greater current allowed.
Resident Grump
Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 am quote
Thanks but I'll hang with the advise from the battery manufacturer and tecmate's manual.
Ossessionato
Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:57 am quote
The main reason I am loyal to the OptiMate products is their track record. If I decide to purchase a battery charger once I upgrade to a high quality Lithium battery then there will be only once brand of charger once it is released in the 4th quarter. I have a lot of respect for companies who are at the top of their game.
Quote:
The OptiMate has been recommended by more established global motorcycle manufacturers than all competitor products COMBINED.
Resident Grump
Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 am quote
That certainly makes sense!
Molto Verboso
Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 pm quote
Just an update on my battery... I ordered a BV500 replacement on Sunday and it arrived today. I spent some time hooking it up and making sure that the foam inserts cradles the battery snugly. The bike seems to work fine. I'll be able to tell how fast it starts up compared to the old battery after a night's cool down without a tender.

This battery is amazing though... light as a feather compared to the behemoth I had in there before.
Addicted
Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:05 pm quote
phuocsandiego wrote:
Just an update on my battery... I ordered a BV500 replacement on Sunday and it arrived today. I spent some time hooking it up and making sure that the foam inserts cradles the battery snugly. The bike seems to work fine. I'll be able to tell how fast it starts up compared to the old battery after a night's cool down without a tender.

This battery is amazing though... light as a feather compared to the behemoth I had in there before.
I think you will also be amazed how quick this battery will start your cold BV500.
Which model battery did you buy and who did you buy it from?
Molto Verboso
Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:04 am quote
ExonicJay wrote:
phuocsandiego wrote:

I think you will also be amazed how quick this battery will start your cold BV500.
I cross-referenced my Yuasa battery that I took out of my BV on the Shorai page. It tells me I had to get the LFX14L2-BS12, which I ordered from BatteryStuff.com. Even with the holidays, it took 3 days to get here from Oregon. Not bad.
Addicted
Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 am quote
phuocsandiego wrote:
ExonicJay wrote:
phuocsandiego wrote:

I cross-referenced my Yuasa battery that I took out of my BV on the Shorai page. It tells me I had to get the LFX14L2-BS12, which I ordered from BatteryStuff.com. Even with the holidays, it took 3 days to get here from Oregon. Not bad.
That's the same battery I got except for the reversed polarity (LFX14A2-BS12).
Please report back on how the battery performs.
Addicted
Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:24 pm quote
phuocsandiego
How is the new battery working out?
Enthusiast
LX 150
Thu May 10, 2012 4:36 pm quote
Are the batteries still working stong??
Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
Fri May 25, 2012 12:53 pm quote
I kind of like the downloadable Calendar Girls too.
http://www.shoraipower.com/t-shorai-models.aspx[/quote]

Dibs on the blonde on the right.
Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
Fri May 25, 2012 12:56 pm quote
As long as the charging issue is a non-issue, I'll switch over. As with a lot of mods, I'll switch over when my battery need replacing. Thanks for the info.
Ossessionato
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD
Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:22 am quote
Any updates on the Shorai batteries? Any problems?

Thanks!
Hooked
Silver '06 GT200
Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:33 am quote
Midnight Rider wrote:
Any updates on the Shorai batteries? Any problems?

Thanks!
I put one in a motorcycle 6 months ago. It is ridden infrequently, maybe 1 or 2 times a month, and no problems so far.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.3284s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0441s) ][ Debug on ]