Got the new mapping update today
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am quote
Went down to Af1 and Brent installed the mapping update. Takes about 20 minutes.
Run - don't walk - to get this update. It fixes all the beefs I have with the idle and recovery. Better off line, no stumble or hesitate - just smooth acceleration goodness. Most important when stopping no more plummeting RPM's causing it to stall. The RPM's stay smooth and steady at 1,200 when decelerating including when the clutch finally releases. Woo-hoo! I only wonder why it took so long.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:00 pm quote
Thanks for that report. Will have to check to see if Orlando has it. Or maybe Atlanta. I could stop there on my way up next May.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:20 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Thanks for that report. Will have to check to see if Orlando has it. Or maybe Atlanta. I could stop there on my way up next May.
yeah check with the guys at motoretta.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm quote
Yeah I will unless I can't stand the wait and Orlando has it. Bubbajon, how long does the update take? Oh wait you said 20 minutes. That would be a nice rest stop.

Last edited by stickyfrog on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2008 MP3-500
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm quote
Is this a free update?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:49 pm quote
ALEXB wrote:
Is this a free update?
That'd be nice since it fixes issues with the bike but it cost me $50. Maybe a dealer would toss it in with a service since navigator has to be used anyway.
Addicted
MP3 500, Lambretta GP TS1 225
Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 pm quote
I'm under the impression that you need the red key to do the update? So the question is did you, or can they do the update with just the regular key?

Just wanted to get this out of the way before someone shows up with the out the key and has to go home or if the red key is unnecessary.

Cheers,
Tross
Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 pm quote
I believe the red key is not needed. I hope so.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:18 pm quote
Re: Got the new mapping update today
BubbaJon wrote:
Went down to Af1 and Brent installed the mapping update. Takes about 20 minutes.
Run - don't walk - to get this update. It fixes all the beefs I have with the idle and recovery. Better off line, no stumble or hesitate - just smooth acceleration goodness. Most important when stopping no more plummeting RPM's causing it to stall. The RPM's stay smooth and steady at 1,200 when decelerating including when the clutch finally releases. Woo-hoo! I only wonder why it took so long.
I'm trying to get my local shop to hunt down this update. Do you know when the update was released in the USA?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:21 pm quote
Torqueboy wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
I'm trying to get my local shop to hunt down this update. Do you know when the update was released in the USA?
and or the release number or what ever piaggio uses to show the latest version?
Hooked
Suzuki DR650, Piaggio Ape50, Piaggio MP3 500, Honda ATC125M
Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:50 pm quote
WOW! Thats great! This solves all the problems I had with the bike!

Is there any way to tell if they are installing the correct update? Is there a date or patch number for the update?

What tool did they use to apply the update? Was it with the new diagnostic tool? or the old one?

Thanks
Stefan
Hooked
Suzuki DR650, Piaggio Ape50, Piaggio MP3 500, Honda ATC125M
Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:07 pm quote
Just got off the phone with the dealer

Looks like this update is done with the new navigator tool.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 pm quote
suzukistefan wrote:
Just got off the phone with the dealer

Looks like this update is done with the new navigator tool.
Just so - and should be done by default during a service. They'd actually have to *deny* it happening if my understanding is correct to stop it being applied - it's an on-line device I believe. This assumes your dealer actually has the tool and pays Piaggio the rather high cost to use it.
Hooked
'15 Black MP3 500, 15' BMW 1200RT, '09 Black MP3 500 (Gone but not forgotten), '09 Orione Grey MP3 400ie (Gone but not forgotten)
Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 pm quote
Do most shops/dealerships have the navigator tool? Or is this something that is considered "optional" for them to service the MP3's?
Moderaptor
Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 pm quote
Pretty much since the introduction of the injected GTS - they are mandatory for a dealer to maintain 'service dealer' status here. As these scoots can't be interrogated (properly) or updated without them.

Some third-party ones can interrogate up to a point, a very few can reset some error codes, none (at present) can do the updates as that now requires the Navigator to be online via a laptop direct to Piaggio's databases. Which are probably secure enough and obscure enough to have zero interest from hackers (using that word in its original meaning, not pejorative in the slightest).
Ossessionato
Mp3 500
Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 pm quote
You do not need the red key.
BubbaJon, when I got mine done there was so much happening I had no idea what was due to the update, its good to hear it had such an effect and you did not have other things to confuse you like i did.
Mine cost $50 as well, and had to be taken to a shop with the equipment to do it, Sportique did not have it.
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:12 am quote
Short time lurker here with a relatively virgin MP3-500 hitting my first service.

I called the local dealer here and he had no idea about any mapping update.

Is this a relatively new thing, or is it just not well known to dealers? Really stinks.
Ossessionato
Mp3 500
Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 am quote
Welcome to Piaggio world! Typical that this guy doesn't know and is probably unequiped to do it. Look for another place to take it. All you can do.
Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500
Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 am quote
Got my update and 6000 mile service yesterday at Dallas. New city grip rear tire.
Hooked
MP3 - 500
Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:44 pm quote
Torqueboy wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
My local Pensacola dealer discovered it was released Nov. last, but he had to make a phone call to find out about it.
Not too sure of the improvements as I was riding home with a Tornado Watch in effect......Not too smart, but got home safely, although sudden high winds dropped the temperature from 76 F down to 61F in less than 2 minutes. Amazing!
Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250
Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 am quote
I called both dealers in my area. All I got was a head slap. Nobody knows nuttin'.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:34 am quote
YaYaDave wrote:
I called both dealers in my area. All I got was a head slap. Nobody knows nuttin'.
Since all they have to do is call Piaggio that tells me they probably don't have the Navigator tool and want to play dumb. I'd complain to Piaggio if they claim they can service Piaggio and Vespa products because in fact there's no way they can do a proper service without it.
Hooked
Two - 2009 Genuine Buddy 125s
Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 am quote
Is the mapping specifically a "500" thing?
Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:48 am quote
Hey Jon, were there any issues, comments or questions from the maint techs / dealer regarding your various and sundry mods when you had the update performed?
Molto Verboso
Burgman 650 (May, 2012) MP3 500 (11/2009 - 5.2012)
Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:28 pm quote
BubbaJon wrote:
YaYaDave wrote:
Since all they have to do is call Piaggio that tells me they probably don't have the Navigator tool and want to play dumb. I'd complain to Piaggio if they claim they can service Piaggio and Vespa products because in fact there's no way they can do a proper service without it.
Should combine the thread I started with this one or close mine..
If someplace is an authorized dealer.. then they should be expected to also have the proper equipment.. so if one takes their MP3 to an authorized dealer.. then there shouldn't be a question.. I wouldn't think.. Can't imagine it's much of a mystery.. whether the dealer service dept knows about it or not.. How could a Piaggio (Vespa) dealer be one if they haven't been supplied with the stuff they need to service what they sell?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:36 pm quote
noth wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
YaYaDave wrote:
Should combine the thread I started with this one or close mine..
If someplace is an authorized dealer.. then they should be expected to also have the proper equipment.. so if one takes their MP3 to an authorized dealer.. then there shouldn't be a question.. I wouldn't think.. Can't imagine it's much of a mystery.. whether the dealer service dept knows about it or not.. How could a Piaggio (Vespa) dealer be one if they haven't been supplied with the stuff they need to service what they sell?
piaggio is just like any manufacture, they offer the special tooling to dealers who purchase it from them. they don't HAVE to buy them. Piaggio can't tell them they HAVE to buy x piece of equipment, they highly recommend stuff though.
Same goes for Auto dealers and other motorcycle manufactures.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Hey Jon, were there any issues, comments or questions from the maint techs / dealer regarding your various and sundry mods when you had the update performed?
Nope. AF1 crew are a pretty understanding bunch. They race bikes fer goshsakes.
Addicted
Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:43 am quote
<^>(-_-)<^>

Last edited by JTbme on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:31 am quote
JTbme wrote:
What's involved with the update? Does any tupperware have to be removed? Where do they plug-in to?
Just hook up to plug under seat. Computer updates software in MP3.
Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT
Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13 am quote
michelle_7728 wrote:
I'm curious too. Is the mapping update just for the 500, or is it needed on the 250 & 400 also?
Moderaptor
Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 am quote
Each different fuel-injected engine/model will have updates at times. Each one is specific to that engine/model. The dealer will know there's an update by either being on Piaggio's mailing list/tech forum/whatever or when the bike is plugged into the navigator and there's an internet connection - the Naviogator diagnostic unit will tell them there's an update.

If the dealer has never heard of updates, then they have probably never used a Navigator. Not all dealers have them, they are not compulsory, as they are an investment of over GBP2,000. Piaggio don't give them away.
Hooked
2013 Suzuki Burgman 400ABS
Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:24 am quote
gsheff wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:
I'm curious too. Is the mapping update just for the 500, or is it needed on the 250 & 400 also?
Even if they were to offer an update for my 400 I would pass as I'm not experiencing any problems such as stalling, stumbling, hesitation, etc.

If if ain't broke don't fix it.
Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 am quote
lloyd123 wrote:
gsheff wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:
Even if they were to offer an update for my 400 I would pass as I'm not experiencing any problems such as stalling, stumbling, hesitation, etc.

If if ain't broke don't fix it.
Reasonable approach, particularly if it's not likely the local dealer has the capability / tool to perform the mapping update.
Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250
Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:35 pm quote
They'll probably be doing the update for free at Amerivespa.

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 pm quote
Yea Right.
Molto Verboso
Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 am quote
I called the new dealer (about 40 miles away) yesterday to tell him what I had found out about the mapping update and "Navigator".. He said that they had called Piaggio on Friday, after my call, and found the same thing.. They do not have the plug in computer diagnostic tool. He said something about maybe it's on order.. and up to the owner...He said it is a pain working on them without it as it is sort of a handicap and would be a lot easier if they had one.

So, that's the answer... seems completely absurd that I can't go to an "authorized " dealer and obtain complete service.. They are also a Honda/Suzuki dealer... I'm disgusted by this.. I can pick up a silverwing or Burgman and probably depend on a decent quality of service and an authorized dealer to provide it.. I don't ask much.. but being able to depend on the word "authorized".. is not asking a lot.. What is wrong with Piaggo?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 am quote
noth wrote:
I called the new dealer (about 40 miles away) yesterday to tell him what I had found out about the mapping update and "Navigator".. He said that they had called Piaggio on Friday, after my call, and found the same thing.. They do not have the plug in computer diagnostic tool. He said something about maybe it's on order.. and up to the owner...He said it is a pain working on them without it as it is sort of a handicap and would be a lot easier if they had one.

So, that's the answer... seems completely absurd that I can't go to an "authorized " dealer and obtain complete service.. They are also a Honda/Suzuki dealer... I'm disgusted by this.. I can pick up a silverwing or Burgman and probably depend on a decent quality of service and an authorized dealer to provide it.. I don't ask much.. but being able to depend on the word "authorized".. is not asking a lot.. What is wrong with Piaggo?
don't blame piaggio. that was the dealers call not to get all the proper tools when they set up the dealership. Piaggio cannot force the dealers to buy tools only recommend that they do. Same goes for parts they can only recommend what to stock.
Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT
Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
noth wrote:

don't blame piaggio. that was the dealers call not to get all the proper tools when they set up the dealership. Piaggio cannot force the dealers to buy tools only recommend that they do. Same goes for parts they can only recommend what to stock.
I most certainly would blame Piaggo, for signing up "authorized dealers" but not requiring them to be able to completely service them. That's just plain stupid marketing in my book.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:28 am quote
gsheff wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
noth wrote:

I most certainly would blame Piaggo, for signing up "authorized dealers" but not requiring them to be able to completely service them. That's just plain stupid marketing in my book.
Nope - not marketing - even tho their marketing *does* suck. They're not selling service - they sell the perceived experience. This is plain old irresponsibility knowing that someone to whom you have sold a franchise may or may not be able to service the machines he sells - and they don't even care until it becomes a liability. Basically they try to wash their hands of it and finger pointing ensues which is simply putting the customer in the middle.
Molto Verboso
Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:07 am quote
I could care less about the process.... I go to an authorized dealer.. I'm not going to ask about what tools they have and whether they can do the job or not.. My prior dealer (who went out of business and was less than 5 miles from my house) ha done.. I certainly expect the new one (40 miles away) to do thre same job.. It's plain irresponsible and actionable to allow a dealer to be less than fully equipped. I deal with Piasggio and they direct me to the dealer....

F*ck Piaggio.. it seems that is their attitude toward me, their customer..
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1938s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0312s) ][ Debug on ]