NSR: Lincoln
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 "Belissimo"
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm quote
I caught Lincoln today and was blown away. What a great film. Daniel Day-Lewis IS Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones has me wanting to learnt more about Thaddeus Stevens.

Did you see the film? If so, did you like it?
Banned
PGO Buddy 150 "St Tropez" imported by Genuine scooter co.
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:56 pm quote
There Will Be Blood.

He is probably the best actor of my time.
Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 "Belissimo"
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm quote
Raiderfn31 wrote:
There Will Be Blood.

He is probably the best actor of my time.
Amazing!
Hooked
1953 Vespa ACMA 125 / 2007 Burgman 650
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 pm quote
Saw Lincoln in November last year

Great movie

Will get allot of Oscars
Banned
PGO Buddy 150 "St Tropez" imported by Genuine scooter co.
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm quote
Whiteknuckler wrote:
Saw Lincoln in November last year
Back handed quotes can go down the "proverbial"pipe.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
946, GS150
Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:45 pm quote
Haven't seen it (yet), but the first time I saw a preview, I thought it had a lot of Oscar potential. Then, when I realized it was Day Lewis in the lead, I KNEW it would be a monster of a performance. Can't wait to see it...
Ossessionato
2010 Portofino Green Vespa GTS 300 Super; 2006 BMW F650GS (sold);2007 BMW R1200R
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 pm quote
It is an amazing production. It was as if Daniel Day Lewis was channelling Honest Abe himself.

Funny aside. I was in Court last Thursday before a Judge that I have a good bit of experience with and who has a pretty good sense of humor. On one of the walls behind his bench there is a water color painting of Abe Lincoln.

This judge, who is bearded started teasing me about my greying beard and in response I remarked that it seemed that the only dark beard was the one painted in the picture of Daniel Day Lewis on his wall. The Judge started laughing, my opponent started laughing as did the court clerk.

Yeah, just an aside.
Molto Verboso
BV350
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:41 pm quote
I was a little surprised at how much arm twisting was involved (assuming that the movie is historically correct in that regard). That's not exactly the way it is taught in schools in the US.
Hooked
gts 300 matte black
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:04 am quote
yes a very good film but theres a number of contenders out there .
ie flight denzel washington .

hitchcock anthony hopkins .

django jamie foxx .

stand up guys pacino and walken .

i know day lewis a good actor but he only seems to pick big budget films and he does doenst do that many films people are just going to vote for him because its a film about lincoln he his so revered in the states ??
Ossessionato
2008 GTS 300 Super
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 am quote
The trailer looked very good - I'm going to try and fit in a cinema trip soon.
Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 am quote
I have to say, I've only seen Gangs is New York and There Will Be Blood, but I did not like his performances in those movies, where it seemed like he overreacted quite a bit. I saw both in the theaters, and people were laughing during some of the scenes. I'm still kind of interested in seeing Lincoln, though

Brendan
Addicted
LX150
Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am quote
Syd wrote:
I was a little surprised at how much arm twisting was involved (assuming that the movie is historically correct in that regard). That's not exactly the way it is taught in schools in the US.
That was my takeaway. We certainly were not taught this in school. It is good to have a little perspective. A lot of ugliness, which I suppose is closer to the truth. The movie was very, very good.
Addicted
Honda SH 300
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:46 am quote
watched it the other day,,,,the long speech DDL gave in a meeting was done in one take AFAIK,,,just plain brilliant
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 am quote
Last night we were pleasantly surprised to see Greek sub-titled trailers for the movie on the Athens TV channel. That means it may come to the island relatively soon. We weren't sure if a movie about an American historical character would be quickly prepared for international release.

Of course, we get movies from all over the world, so it will still have to be squeezed into the schedule of the very limited theater schedule here. Hate it when a really good film, such as "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" arrives, and it's in Swedish with Greek sub-titles, making the English language version redundant. Or when the supplemental English sub-titles are removed from a mixed language US film to make room for 100% Greek sub-titling (e.g. - The DaVinci Code)
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:36 am quote
We saw Lincoln last week. The haters we have now are apparently upholding tradition. I loved the insults on the floor of the senate. Most Americans will learn more from this film than all of their civics and history classes from school. I agree that Day-Lewis was Lincoln. "Nothing makes an Englishman shit like seeing a picture of George Washington."
Ossessionato
2007 LX150 la Negrita
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 am quote
Re: NSR: Lincoln
mbelleville wrote:
Did you see the film? If so, did you like it?
Naw, I already know how it ends

Seriously, sounds like a winner-appreciate all the thumbs up...I'll try to get to it ASAP!
Molto Verboso
Vespa GT 200, Harley Electra Glide Ultra
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 pm quote
I missed "Lincoln," but will catch it on DVD. Heard good things about it.

Went to "Les Miserables" this weekend and was expecting to be blown away. Walked out after an hour. The off key singing of dialogue is tedious and absolutely un-listenable. One of the reviewers quotes was:

"I screamed a scream as time went by."

One of the very few times I found myself in complete agreement with a movie reveiw!

Last edited by oldswimcoach on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 pm quote
Ever feel like people are talking about you, even when they aren't?
Ossessionato
Silver Scarabeo 500ie
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:21 pm quote
I just got a copy and am looking forward to watching in the next few days. I read the two most recent biographies (Team of Rivals and David Herbert Donald's Lincoln), so it will be interesting to see the film.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie, 2010 4T Stella 150
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 pm quote
oldswimcoach wrote:

Went to "Les Miserables" this weekend and was expecting to be blown away. Walked out after an hour. The off key singing of dialogue is tedious and absolutely un-listenable. One of the reviewers quotes was:

One of the very few times I found myself in complete agreement with a movie reveiw!
Meh, the singing of most of the characters wasn't that bad (with the possible exception of Mr. Crowe). They were generally singing the notes that were written, just without the vocal quality you'd expect from real singers.

What bothered me were the French street urchins speaking with a Cockney accent. WTF?
Ossessionato
Silver Scarabeo 500ie
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm quote
Silver Streak wrote:
oldswimcoach wrote:

Meh, the singing of most of the characters wasn't that bad (with the possible exception of Mr. Crowe). They were generally singing the notes that were written, just without the vocal quality you'd expect from real singers.

What bothered me were the French street urchins speaking with a Cockney accent. WTF?
Indeed. Kind of like how the Star Wars Phantom Menace trade federation characters spoke with a Chinese accent. Hmmmm.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2181s ][ Queries: 30 (0.1474s) ][ Debug on ]