Moving and shipping my Vespa
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:34 am quote
I tried to do a search on this, but didn't find anything on the forum. I live in Hawaii and I got a job in New Mexico, and I need to ship my Vespa. How much does it usually cost to send it by boat, and if I land it in San Diego on a boat, is there a company that can truck over the Vespa the rest of the way?

Any help would be appreciated!
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 am quote
Are you shipping any "household goods" such as books, furniture, etc. If so, then simply add the scooter to the shipment. Did that more times than I care to remember. Any reputable "moving company" can do a good job, and it's door to door.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:59 am quote
great idea but I am just bringing a suitcase. my household stuff will be a few months later when my family joins me. but I need my Vespa sooner.

but that is a good idea.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou"
Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:21 am quote
Once you get the bike to NM, allow me to suggest frequent washing and extra attention to oil and whatnot.

My sister has spent the last year in Roswell, and the desert gets into EVERYTHING.
Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 Super - red, of course and a 2015 Genuine Hooligan 170. (I broke the 2012 Stella 4T 'four-on-the-paw') in black
Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 am quote
Ride it here. If Top Gear can do it...
Oberlehrerhaft
GTS 250 w/ 43,000 mi
Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:53 am quote
ravenlore wrote:
Once you get the bike to NM, allow me to suggest frequent washing and extra attention to oil and whatnot.

My sister has spent the last year in Roswell, and the desert gets into EVERYTHING.
Tell me more about that. It is what local Vespa service tried telling me but I didn't swallow it. Into my fifth year in the Utah high altitude dry desert now, without any modification of my maintenance schedule, and without any bad consequences either.

So, what about it?
Hooked
2008 GTS 250 i.e.
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 am quote
Re: Moving and shipping my Vespa
thesaint wrote:
I tried to do a search on this, but didn't find anything on the forum. I live in Hawaii and I got a job in New Mexico, and I need to ship my Vespa. How much does it usually cost to send it by boat, and if I land it in San Diego on a boat, is there a company that can truck over the Vespa the rest of the way?

Any help would be appreciated!
I've not done this and can't help on the cost, but I used to be in the ocean cargo business so I can offer some limited help. Bottom line is you are going to have to spend some time on the phone getting answers and quotes, and the best way to proceed will likely become clear after talking to some shipping companies.

There are a number of ways to do this. One is to contact the actual ship operator, talk to one of their sales reps about how to prep the bike, and the cost to drop it off at the dock in Hawaii and then to pick it up at the dock in California. Then you could arrange the transhipment to NM with a trucking company. This might be the cheapest but would likely be full of logistical hassles that you would have to resolve yourself.

Another way would be to contact a freight forwarding company in Hawaii and have them arrange through shipment all the way to your new home. They may arrange to have the bike prepped for shipment, probably using a Vespa or motorcycle dealer in Hawaii. This would cost more but they would deal with all the transhipment issues to the trucker in the mainland (and your contract would include both legs).

Finally, you could call a moving company that specializes in moving household goods to the mainland. Probably the most expensive option, as they would subcontract with a freight forwarder who subcontracts with the prepper, the shipping line and the trucker in CA. However, they would likely give you a door-to-door contract that would present the fewest hassles.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou"
Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:30 pm quote
Arno1 wrote:
ravenlore wrote:

Tell me more about that. It is what local Vespa service tried telling me but I didn't swallow it. Into my fifth year in the Utah high altitude dry desert now, without any modification of my maintenance schedule, and without any bad consequences either.

So, what about it?
That was just my knee-jerk assumption after seeing her scoot, and how the grit gets into everything. If you've had no adverse affects, that's awesome news! (i've been worrying about her poor scoot this whole time)
Resident Grump
8Fun BBS01
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:22 am quote
Arno1 wrote:
ravenlore wrote:

So, what about it?
You've obviously never lived or ridden in an actual desert environment. Your current house is not a desert home. Nor have you done any back country driving and hanging out or living anywhere near a dry lake. Doing so requires severe service maintenance schedule usage. The dust is as fine or finer than baby powder. Had you the experience you wouldn't have made such a ridiculous comment.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 am quote
I'd do it with the household stuff like others have mentioned. I can check with a friend to see what company they used when they moved off island. Hopefully your company might help you with the move or you can write it off on your taxes next year. I never shipped my stuff here because of the cost. Just sold stuff and bought new on this end. Good luck on the move and you'll like NM. Not Hawaii but i love the reservations and the bluffs. To bad we didn't know you were here, you could of ridden with our gang. Got about 16 of us who own Vespa's.
Rallies Europe 2015   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2210s ][ Queries: 33 (0.1139s) ][ Debug on ]