Frozen Crank goes in.

image by Blake7even, on Flickr

And some gears too.

Everything lined up and lubed up.

Top end on.

Looking like it might just be ok with the 1.5mm gasket and not the std gasket as well.

coming together

Stator on

Clauss studio bushes modified for Al's stabiliser

Squish test and port timing check tonight then plow on with building.

Hooked
1968 Sprint 175, Lambretta Li185S
Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 am quote
Actual timings are in.

Tr 126Deg. (117/243)
Ex 180Deg. (90/270)

A touch more fruity than planned, but that seems to be the theme with this build!
Ossessionato
a lambretta or two
Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 am quote
The fly-sdie bearing race you have installed onto the crankshaft is pretty blued. You didn't heat that up with an open flame did you? Usually I boil it in a pot of water then drop it on the crankshaft arm. But if you use an open flame and get it too hot - you'll defeat the hardening. Then the crankshaft will eat that bearing and it'll shoot the pieces through the crank webs and into you top end.

But if you didn't heat it with an open flame you should be okay. You know, if you didn't heat it with an open flame.
Hooked
Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 pm quote
SFvsr wrote:
The fly-sdie bearing race you have installed onto the crankshaft is pretty blued. You didn't heat that up with an open flame did you? Usually I boil it in a pot of water then drop it on the crankshaft arm. But if you use an open flame and get it too hot - you'll defeat the hardening. Then the crankshaft will eat that bearing and it'll shoot the pieces through the crank webs and into you top end.

But if you didn't heat it with an open flame you should be okay. You know, if you didn't heat it with an open flame.
Boiling water sounds like a better idea. But i did heat it with a torch. Flame was a way away but the oil that was on the bearing flamed up and it blued instantly. I'm sure i was well south of the annealing temp of bearing steel but i'll keep an eye on the wear as I'm bound ti fiddle with the gearing once it's run in.
Hooked
Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 pm quote
Some new bits are in.

My tubless mega rims are in 130 and 210.

image by Blake7even

My SIP cosa 2 Clutch reinforced with uprated springs and a little roller bearing actuator. Really wanted the BGM but got this for a bargain.

[img]image by Blake7even, on Flickr[/img]

And I cut myself a new reed from some Polini 0.33 carbon sheet. If this wears out to fast I'll move to Glass fibre teflon coated stuff.

Change of direction on the carb and a PWK carb is in the post. I'd like to relocate the filter into the frame but not sure how yet. Didn't cosa's have a frame filter?

Got my Speedo through too. I see in the SIP catalogue a lightswitch for Super/Sprint/GT thats 12v and includes the speedo function button. It's not on their site? anybody know anything about it?

Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:30 pm quote
The cosa had an air filter in frame alright. Slots in a cut out in the storage area behind the fuel tank. Not really gonna be compatable
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125 + projects
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:38 pm quote
You could use the Cosa rubber boot however. It's about twice as long, extending inside the frame to where it connects to the second filter. You could use it to connect to any filter you can fit below the tank.

Hooked
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:51 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
You could use the Cosa rubber boot however. It's about twice as long, extending inside the frame to where it connects to the second filter. You could use it to connect to any filter you can fit below the tank.

Awesome. I'll look into that.
Hooked
Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:46 am quote
Out with the 24/24 plan and in with a 24mm PWK. Was going to go 30mm but it's a daily hack and I want to see if i can still get a weeks commute out of a tank!

Not badly mismatched this from [redacted].

Blended in

An popped on
Enthusiast
2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 200//1978 Vespa P125X//1983 Vespa PX200
Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:29 am quote
This thread is awesome. Doing a rebuilding project thread myself, just without the expert know-how. Really good, informative build. Hope everything works out perfect!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:45 pm quote
Nice work on the intake. Where did you end up getting the PWK?
Hooked
Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:06 pm quote
It's Ready!

Now you see it

Now you don't

And new one settling in

Hooked
Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:22 pm quote
Not 100% sure if this works but I designed a circuit to install the Vespatronic into the Sprint wiring using the 12v brake light switch and handlebar light switch.

Hope it's helpful to somebody, including me.

12v conversion vesptronic by Blake7even, on Flickr
bodgemaster
1963 GL, 1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:52 am quote
Fido approves.
Hooked
Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:12 am quote
It's been a nightmare of a time on the scooter. I decided to refresh the forks as the headset was off to run SIP CHT wires and throttle cables for the PWK carb.

The STO spring will NOT play well with the BGM damper. One or the other kids.

I got them together but it actually cracked the stub axle.

Also i made a rookie mistake and installed the new lower race and dust shield before putting the mudguard (fender) back on....

Good news is the engine went in with the hotrod stabiliser and all not too much trouble and it sits quite well. Wierd seeing it 10mm too far away from the frame though for the wide tyre. It is quite obvious.

Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:10 am quote
blake7even wrote:
Also i made a rookie mistake and installed the new lower race and dust shield before putting the mudguard (fender) back on....
Been there, done that. I went all in, though, and did it with uncaged bearings, which I then managed to knock all over the ground when I pulled them off. Dirt & grease everywhere.
Hooked
Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:33 pm quote
I keep doing jobs on a "while i'm here" basis. The 1st fork rebuild pissed me off so I started again... Y'know, while I'm here.

First up, Clean the Hub and paint. I lke the casting in bare metal and the brake area and backplate in silver. Not correct I know.

Next Forks are cleaned, prepped & painted and new spindle bearings are installed.

Spring pivot cleand and checked. Turned out to be in a better state than the repro I ordered.

Bearings, Spring and BGM damper installed and thrown back up in the frame remembering to install the mudguard first!

On the engine.... the reason I started all this, I hooked up the throttle and choke with Malossi cables. I reformed the original choke pull to accept the cable as I didn't like the spun aluminum one from SRS.

Hooked
Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:39 pm quote
Next up.... While I'm here.

Clean the headset and parts. I dressed the gear and throttle arms with emery and scotchbright and deburred any burrs. Everything else was cleaned and regreased. Everything is smooth as butter now.

bodgemaster
1963 GL, 1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 am quote
Beautiful work. Looking forward to seeing the wide rear tire mounted and installed.
Addicted
GTS 250
Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:28 pm quote
street sleeper
God this build is sooooooo genius. Where do you get the engineering brains from? My Dad was an aero engineer for Rolls Royce airforce jets. He could build anything. My son's a biker he can too. I was chuffed the other day when I worked out after 2 months worrying about the fan on my GTS 250 coming on so often, I needed to top up the coolant. That took me another 2 weeks figuring where the coolant resevoir was. Hats off tothe natural engineers. Gass silver machine gts 250
Hooked
Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 pm quote
Re: street sleeper
gass wrote:
God this build is sooooooo genius. Where do you get the engineering brains from? My Dad was an aero engineer for Rolls Royce airforce jets. He could build anything. My son's a biker he can too. I was chuffed the other day when I worked out after 2 months worrying about the fan on my GTS 250 coming on so often, I needed to top up the coolant. That took me another 2 weeks figuring where the coolant resevoir was. Hats off tothe natural engineers. Gass silver machine gts 250
Thanks!

I'm a proffesional Engineer and work as a Designer. I was Educated and trained in Aerospace Engineering but work in lots of fields now. But my work is not hands on. Very few Engineers work is hands on.

It's a hobby. I've only owned one car younger than me & that was a Mk1 Golf that was 25 years old when I bought it! Owning old things forces you to learn.

I bet you wouldn't think twice about checking your coolant now and be happy to do it. Lots of little events like that add up over time, confidence builds, finding resources, buying tools & manuals and pretty soon you have a shed and a scooter in bits.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125 + projects
Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:14 am quote
Such a kick, watching a competent engineer do whatever he likes. Thanks for the clear & plentiful pics.

Backscrolled looking for info on your flywheel & stator, but couldn't find anything, maybe cuz it's late?

Just says 'stator on' here & none of mine look like that!

Must say, it is lovely.
Hooked
Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:17 am quote
VooDoo,

Thanks. Its a vespatronic kit. So it retards the timing as revs increase like modern motors instead of static 18dBTDC or so like Lammy and Vespa as standard.

Pricey but I got mine on ebay for less than half the cost.
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/ignition+vespatronic+for_50005000

Last night I installed new premium cables from SIP that looked very good. Time will tell. Reinstalled the fuel tank and finished the front end with a new axle and hub.

Only took one pic though so heres the new axle and race compound grooved shoes from Newfran.

Hooked
3 '66 V90s small door
Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:39 am quote
cant wait for this build to finish!!

Im building a sleeper sprint as well at the moment, but the body is more of a patina look.. GREAT JOB and PLEASE POST MORE PICS!
Hooked
Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 pm quote
Quick update. Pics to follow.

Everything but the wide rear tyre is done. Taken out for a test ride and...

FUCKING HELL!!

power wheelies in second. That will do. That will without question do.
Lurker
p166
Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 pm quote
Really hope you can upload of video of it running been so good to watch your progress
Hooked
Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:48 pm quote
stecha05 wrote:
Really hope you can upload of video of it running been so good to watch your progress
I'll try and get some rideing footage. maybe just ride with my iPhone in my teeth.

Ok so I got it all together at last & rode to work on it this morning, feels like a brand new scooter, runs like it's asshole is on fire.. First things first. Front end.

Got the front end back together and cabled up. Fitted new 100/90 tyre on split rim for now.

I had to space the rim 1-2mm off centre to alighn with the rear tyre when it's on. This is not absolutly required but as I had the axle out I fashoined an extra shim so that the hub is spaced rather than washers behind the rim. I don't like that idea as there is presious little stud there to begin with.

With that done onto the headset. All cables and ferrules in and wiring passed up though.

I heard the Vespatronic doen't kick out much of it's 90W of power at idle & can have issues with the SIP speedo because of this. for this reason i installed LEDs all round.

I fitted the BGM bigbox exhaust. It sounds great, deep, loud like a Sito but gruffer and when you wid her up it sounds raspy, angry & hungry in the way an old Porsche 911 does.

But most of all look at this for fit!!!

CHT sensor installed. I put this under the stud closest to exhaust. I was getting good reading but this morning it read very low. I may drill and tap the head or install the plug ring and see.

It's running! ...@ 2000RPM

Filling the shed up with smoke for a couple of heat cycles. I'm not a 'running in' guy.

Test ride time!

Few more jobs to do so I'll post more up. Currently its machine gunning (suspect rich) at 1/4 thottle, a touch rich at 1/2 and like a bat out of hell at 3/4 throttle so the is tuning to do but I'll leave it rich for now.

For comparison I had a 210 Malossi with SIP road 2 (by somebody else) with stock crank and matched-ish casings in a px and this thing makes that look like a 49cc moped. Thats how much extra you get from porting work.
Hooked
Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am quote
New grips and rear wheel installed. Really getting there now.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ofgj9H]
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 am quote
This is such an awesome thread. It definitely inspired me to go bigger with my own Stella rebuild and figure out what was required to take a dremel to my own jug and cases for the top end.

On the intake side, how much meat did you take off the intake opening into the case?

It looks like a decent amount in one photo. Any chance you have a picture of how you marked up your cutting plan for the intakes?

Looking at these pictures of the reed block, it seems that you took out the bar as well as opened up the channels a bit?

Also, what dremel bit(s) did you use to polish it all up? My polishing doesn't look nearly as good as yours.
Hooked
Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
This is such an awesome thread. It definitely inspired me to go bigger with my own Stella rebuild and figure out what was required to take a dremel to my own jug and cases for the top end.

On the intake side, how much meat did you take off the intake opening into the case?

It looks like a decent amount in one photo. Any chance you have a picture of how you marked up your cutting plan for the intakes?

Looking at these pictures of the reed block, it seems that you took out the bar as well as opened up the channels a bit?

Also, what dremel bit(s) did you use to polish it all up? My polishing doesn't look nearly as good as yours.
I just flowed the intake. rounded the corners and blended everything. You will need to bolt the cases together to match everything up. I didn't really open up the inlet (LML / Stella reed case) as the reed is much smaller than the hole anyway.

I don't have photo but if you take straight photos of your case and upload them here I'll mark them up and post them back.

On the reed block I removed the bar then. Once that is done you can see the sealing area (black rubber bit) closest to the screws is wider than than the sides, and one side is wider than the other. I evened it all up so there was 5mm ish of sealing area all the way round.

I used a flap wheel to finish after many passes of all sorts of bits to get in. Finished by hand with wet/dry. You want it even and smooth but not 'polished' per say. You need it textured and the tiny imperfections cause the surface area to be increased that increases surface tension. Sops the fuel clinging to the walls.

Only the exhaust port needs polishing, this doesn't increase performance it stops carbon build up so stops performance loss.
Hooked
150 GLx, Rally 200
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 pm quote
Hi Blake,

Did you just pop in the LED lights? and do you have any specs on 'em - I'm still trying to figure out which ones I need to get.

Also: where did you the SIP Speedo electrical box and button?

Thanks! Maarten
Addicted
2012 Stella 4T
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:32 pm quote
That is pure sex. The SIP speedo is f'in sweet. I may have to change my favorite Vespas from P-series and Rally, to P-series, Rally AND Sprint, just on yours. Beautifully understated.
Hooked
Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 am quote
mr10 wrote:
Hi Blake,

Did you just pop in the LED lights? and do you have any specs on 'em - I'm still trying to figure out which ones I need to get.

Also: where did you the SIP Speedo electrical box and button?

Thanks! Maarten
Hi, LEDs from the internet. You need;

Pilot light : 1165
Headlight: H6M
Tail light: 36mm festoon
brake light 1165 (red)

The Button on the SIP i have not installed yet, I plan to put it on the headset under covers when I get a set. I set the unit up on a power supply before I installed it and don't really need to use the button now so I'm in no rush.

The box is fitted to some velcro in the headset. It fits in there quite easily.
Quote:
That is pure sex. The SIP speedo is f'in sweet. I may have to change my favorite Vespas from P-series and Rally, to P-series, Rally AND Sprint, just on yours. Beautifully understated.
Thanks alot mate. People seem to see the sprint as the common & less wanted of the late 60's early 70's Vespa. But I love how simple it is, no stripes, no I'm faster details.
It suits this sort of build anyway i think. It looks purposeful to those in the know, and to the public it looks like an old grocery-getter. Really enjoying it.

Last edited by blake7even on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2012 Stella 4T
Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:18 am quote
Yeah, I'm not to good with identifying older Vespas, I'm just like "It's an old Vespa." The only ones I know by sight are the P-series, SS180 (which is also one of my favorites, being a Rally with a sweet trap headlight, or rather a Rally being an SS180 with a round headlight, plus FLCL), Rally, T5, handlebar, and fenderlight.

Last edited by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Style Maven
Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:20 am quote
sleeper maybe, but
all this boring motor talk j/k, I'm just jealous

But that bike is so nice looking. REALLY nice looking, with maybe even original paint?
There's no way that you'll be flying under the radar, the bike's an eyeball magnet.

possible paint clues?
Hooked
Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:05 am quote
Re: sleeper maybe, but
V oodoo wrote:
all this boring motor talk j/k, I'm just jealous

But that bike is so nice looking. REALLY nice looking, with maybe even original paint?
There's no way that you'll be flying under the radar, the bike's an eyeball magnet.

possible paint clues?
Thanks alot Voodoo. It's not all original paint but there is a lot of ariginal paint in the frame and here & there. It was repainted but not restored at some point and they laid the paint on just like Piaggio... thin with no high build or filler. It shows everything.

It was repainted in the original Chiaro Di Luna Met. 108 (Moonlight Silver)

I like it becuase I can see how honest it is. It would be nice if it was a OG paint but I like it anyway.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 am quote
I threw my reed block porting plan into my own porting 101 thread just to avoid anyone confusing your handiwork with my hackery.
Hooked
Bajaj Chetak Retro Classic, Px150
Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 am quote
Blake, you have a very very nice and o so cool ride.

Wich jetting do you use on the Pwk 24?

Sara
Hooked
Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:35 am quote
Sara Alexandra wrote:
Blake, you have a very very nice and o so cool ride.

Wich jetting do you use on the Pwk 24?

Sara
Thanks Sara. I appreciate all the kind words.

I'm not nearly done with jetting yet but my 38 Pilot is too lean, and my 44 too rich so I've ordered a 40 & 42.

My JJH needle was way too rich a notch 1 so i've ordered a JJF.

Main seems fine (150 i think) but i'm not really at full throttle yet. I'll post what i use when done.
Hooked
3 '66 V90s small door
Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:09 am quote
Hi blake..

Really impressed on this build of yours, really inspiring to say the least!!

As i mention before, currently im building a sleeper patina sprint myself and i was drooling for your wide tyre rear wheel set up and how it turn out really nicely.

I was wondering about what tyre size did you use? Could you fit a regular heidenau k61 350 - 10 tyre on the sip tubeless wide tyre rim?

Thanks
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.2034s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0673s) ][ Debug on ]