Vespa ET2. Engine blown? Help
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Vespa et2
Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:36 pm quote
The scooter was driven 100 plus miles with no oil and I heard a pop sound... now there is low compression.. Hard to turn over... is it a blown gasket or blown piston gasket? The scooter worked one until the pop sound... everything else works fine.. Except dosent start up without a bunch of kicks.... but now fails after a minute or less.. So what's easy fix ? Or should I look into new mallosi 70 cc kit. Or just 50 cc replacement? I can send pics and more info if needed. I need your help guys!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 pm quote
Re: Vespa ET2. Engine blown? Help
Samsell wrote:
should I look into new mallosi 70 cc kit. !
Yes. and make sure the bike gets oiil this time.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:02 am quote
IF you ran the bike without oil then you will need much more than just a big bore kit! What model is it you own?
Vespa et2
Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:09 am quote
Vespa 2003 et2 2stroke. It ran without oil I'm guessing 200 to 300 miles what more would I need to do to the scooter. other problems will arise I'm a newbie with some understanding. What kind price or cost can I expect.. also should I give up and take it to a mechanic ? as I lack some tools. I need this thing on the road to get to work.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:47 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
IF you ran the bike without oil then you will need much more than just a big bore kit! What model is it you own?
It's a 2T. If he ran it without oil, he didn't get 100 plus miles down the road. Usually the rings and piston go before the bottom end and bearings, so you can get by with just a top end, but you will want someone with experience to check the connecting rod, crank and bearing between the two, and it might not be a bad idea to replace the wristpin bearing at the same time.
Coat everything with a whole lot of two stroke oil, premix your first five tanks, maintain a full oil tanik, check to make sure it's pumping, (probably not a bad time to change out the oil pump belt), and your bike will likely live on a while.
With a two stroke, you should use the best oil you can get made specifically for bikes with oil injector systems in the oil tank, but you can also cheap 2T oil as a premix in the tank, and go ahead and throw a couple ounces in every fill up or two. It provides extra protection and will often save the engine if the tank runs out, or the line from the tank to the pump or the pump to the carb gets disconnected (happens). Also, the bike will run longer. They are set up from the factory to run at about 2% oil mixture, but thrive at 3-4%. The first two tanks of gas and oil when you rebuild the top end should be about one ounce per quart of gas, or four ounces to a gallon. Then go to three for the next three tanks, and then a couple ounces every time you fill it up with more than a gallon. The motor will last a long time.
Ride it gently in stop and go traffic for the first four to five hours before trying to see how fast it will go.
Vespa et2
Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:10 am quote
Wow thanks so much. this is the info i was desperately needing and i think you are very accurate with diagnoses. Im towing it home with friends today.

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Vespa-ET2-Typhoon-49cc-Cylinder-Kit---MALOSSI-40mm/11497

its a 50cc replacement cylinder and O ring etc etc.

this is what im thinking. im on a budget for now sadly..
Motovista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
It's a 2T. If he ran it without oil, he didn't get 100 plus miles down the road. Usually the rings and piston go before the bottom end and bearings, so you can get by with just a top end, but you will want someone with experience to check the connecting rod, crank and bearing between the two, and it might not be a bad idea to replace the wristpin bearing at the same time.
Coat everything with a whole lot of two stroke oil, premix your first five tanks, maintain a full oil tanik, check to make sure it's pumping, (probably not a bad time to change out the oil pump belt), and your bike will likely live on a while.
With a two stroke, you should use the best oil you can get made specifically for bikes with oil injector systems in the oil tank, but you can also cheap 2T oil as a premix in the tank, and go ahead and throw a couple ounces in every fill up or two. It provides extra protection and will often save the engine if the tank runs out, or the line from the tank to the pump or the pump to the carb gets disconnected (happens). Also, the bike will run longer. They are set up from the factory to run at about 2% oil mixture, but thrive at 3-4%. The first two tanks of gas and oil when you rebuild the top end should be about one ounce per quart of gas, or four ounces to a gallon. Then go to three for the next three tanks, and then a couple ounces every time you fill it up with more than a gallon. The motor will last a long time.
Ride it gently in stop and go traffic for the first four to five hours before trying to see how fast it will go.
Ossessionato
Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 pm quote
If money is tight, you may want to ask (nicely) if anyone has a slightly used top end they put aside when their ET was upgraded to a larger cylinder kit. You would probably get more of a response for this if you put up a new topic on here as well as on the NSM side. Just saying.... good luck.
Vespa et2
Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:45 am quote
UPDATE.... piston still seems ok.. its a leak in intake manifold. I can SEE the leak.. the Intake manifold sputters out oil n gas when i start it up. How would i fix this? a new gasket or intake manifold? pictures are attached to show leak

http://modernvespa.com/forum/post1991497#1991497
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1457s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0311s) ][ Debug on ]