Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:49 pm quote
Interesting product
Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:54 pm quote
A very cool idea, but I worry about accidentally setting it off. The site says this:
Quote:
If the "one-touch release" is not unfastened before the rider dismounts, a scooter or light motorcycle may be pulled over. If the rider is attached to a heavy bike a strong tug will act as a reminder. Failure to heed this reminder may cause the "Hit Air" to inflate unnecessarily. A force of more than 25kgs (55 lbs.) is needed to activate the air cushion.
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:57 pm quote
I like the idea, would like to see it in person. Thanks for the link Gary, Beale.
Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T
Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:09 pm quote
interesting, but why the disclaimer at the bottom of the page? Seems like the shifty emails I get through Yahoo.
Technical Moderator
Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:09 pm quote
You're welcome, Beale. I'm quite excited about it too, and have contacted them about buying one. If it works out, I'll get one for my wife ASAP. I wonder if it's going to be a hot jacket though, because the air bag system probably restricts air flow and venting possibilities. I'll see.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:22 pm quote
addicted wrote:
I wonder if it's going to be a hot jacket though, because the air bag system probably restricts air flow and venting possibilities. I'll see.
That is what I was thinking. It sounds like a good idea, but down here with the heat and humidity mesh gear is a necessity.
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:25 pm quote
These are very interesting. I read a review about the MotoAir Jacket, another airbag type jacket HERE

Also check out MotoAir's site http://www.motoair.com/

They have a video explaining the system on there. Pretty cool ... Enjoy.
Hooked
04 GT200, 58 VNA, 74 Rally 200, 06 Bonneville T100
Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:39 pm quote
http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/CTGY/AT

$699.00

I have sticker shock. I know...what do you price a few broken bones at, but geesh.
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:43 pm quote
RScott wrote:

$699.00

I have sticker shock. I know...what do you price a few broken bones at, but geesh.
That is alot of money. I guess I put it in perspective, a good quality Vanson runs that range, and IMO, I do like them also, Beale.
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:14 pm quote
RScott wrote:

$699.00

2 ribs, clavical, and shattered scapula = $3500 (no surgery)

femur broken and cracked 3 places = $20k (includes titanium parts and my own set of crutches to take home!)

Even though I broke several bones, never had a scratch on me because of my gear! Propper riding boots and helmets probably kept me from breaking tib/fib and serious head injuries. I know its hard sometimes to spend a lot on safety items, but just do the best you can is was I tell anyone who rides.... just my $.02
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:26 am quote
Looks like a great idea. Do these companies have distribution...has anyone seen one in person yet?

Len
Technical Moderator
Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:30 am quote
Yes, $699 is sticker-shock. I was guessing twice the list price of the average textile jacket, at $350-$400. At $699, it's about 3-4 times the price of a comparable textile jacket with CE armor.

For most riders, who never experienced severe body trauma, it sounds like a good idea, but they have trouble justifying the price. Grscum knows its value, from experience. I have no doubt that Seth's next helmet purchase won't be influenced by price.

I have never been seriously hurt on a motorcycle, which is astounding. I have been seriously hurt while on bicycle though, having been run over twice. In my teens, I was a hit-and-run victim of a drunken driver. I didn't walk for two years, had home-schooling, bore two major operations, 4 compound fractures, bone grafts, and lots of titanium hardware. One lesson I've learned, is you're never too old to have a great childhood. The driver was not convicted of the criminal charges, had minimum automotive liability, and was a janitor by trade. My father paid the entire medical costs, as our family-owned metal fabrication business wasn't profitable enough to support my 3 uncles, their families, our family of 6, and pay for medical insurance. A few years later, as an undergraduate, I severed (castrated) 2 toes at the ball of my foot, with a lawn mower. I paid for the operation, hospital, and all medical costs, myself. A week after I lost my shifting toes, I bought a Triumph, because it shifted on the right. Don't get the impression that I'm incapable now, as I've overcompensated for my injuries for many years. It's a powerful driving force. The only reason why I'm willing to share these guarded secrets of my life, is to demonstrate that pain and trauma is real. There are financial consequences, even though they are secondary to bodily injury. It could happen to you, and maybe it can be avoided with proper riding gear. That would make me very happy. Somehow, the passing of my friend Bob, gave me the courage to relay this message.
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:14 pm quote
Hey, Gary-- Thanks for your willingness to share these real-life reality checks with us-- and for having the will and the zest for life to keep on keepin' on.

Best,
Deborah
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2331s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0326s) ][ Debug on ]