Smallframe with a P200 engine?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12345678Next
Molto Verboso

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:33 pm quote
So what is the current consensus about stuffing a P200 engine in a Smallframe? I have a spare PK frame and a spare P2 engine laying around the shop. I was thinking about putting the two together. I have plenty of fab experience, so it isn't a problem for me to mate them together. The PK 50 frame is from the mid '80s, and the P2 engine is all stock (will be using the 24/24 carb). I have a extra Sito+ or a Simonimi exhaust I can use on it (I think I might have a JL right somewhere in my shop?).
Anyhow, we all know it's a tight fit...very tight...probably have to remove the rear shock bolt and swing down the engine to remove the sparkplug tight.
I'm mainly curious about the handling once the two are together. I consider the Smallframe motor's weight fairly balance in the frame compared to that of a Largeframe's engine. Once a 80lb (I'm just guessing the weight) P2 engine is in the back of a PK am I asking for crazy handling issues? Will the PK look aesthetically unbalanced? I'm not looking to build a show winner here, but I'd like to build something fun and unique that has some sort of feng shui to it. Does anyone have any 1st or 2nd hand experience seeing or riding one of these?
And yes, I know that there are now many, many manufactures that make a cylinder kit for the Smallframe to make it faster than a P2, but that's not what I'm interested in doing.

Here's a link to my findings of the differences between a 20mm PX fork and a 16mm P fork, and what it would take to possibly install it in a PK50XL.... P fork and headset on a PK

Last edited by whodatschrome on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:59 pm quote
The consensus is it's a terrible idea. I admit I have never ridden one and I might be interested in looking at it if I saw it. Ultimately you're taking two pretty awesome things and making a lesser. Similar to a meat smoothie or nonalcoholic beer in my book.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:02 pm quote
Paging Ebeth !

Not a 200, but he rode one around a lot, his not-so-normal smallie and never complained, but he never complains about anything!
Quote:
Ebeth - "i think i am just a boy floating in a huge wave of life"
Seems to me the biggest issue could be less frame weight to fight with a heavier motor w/ its weight more offset, but I never notice that effect anymore on largeframes like I did at first.

200 in a PK? Love the idea! Can you say torquey sleeper?
Hooked
1969 90SS & Sprint 150 3v i.e.
Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 pm quote
delete

Last edited by giramassi on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:08 pm quote
You need the zirri M200 kit. Here is a thread on the smallframe forum building one.

http://vespasmallframeforum.proboards.com/thread/19635/quattrini-m200-build

Putting a P200 in a smallframe is a daft idea but if you can vote Trump in then anything is possible.

Your fired!!
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:16 am quote
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
The consensus is it's a terrible idea. I admit I have never ridden one and I might be interested in looking at it if I saw it. Ultimately you're taking two pretty awesome things and making a lesser. Similar to a meat smoothie or nonalcoholic beer in my book.
I appreciate the feedback, but can you elaborate a bit more on why the masses are against it? I have another PK125XL that is completely stock, and enjoy it for what it is. I'm not looking on tuning up a smallframe motor to get P200 power either.
A meat smoothie sounds pretty darn efficient to me...you can get your days protein in a couple gulps.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 am quote
Do it! It's not like a PK is some super-rare example that should be preserved in a jar of alcohol. Sounds like fun.

I'm sure that PureDrivenSnow is correct about the consensus. But do it anyway.

Ebeth might take a while to show up so here's some pics of his infamous "Not So Normal" smallframe that should give you a better idea of what it might look like. I guess the downside of the PK in this situation is that it's much squarer than Ebeth's, so the engine cover would be harder to blend in.

559347_10202105518502755_701268703_n.jpg

1385619_10202289814670044_282550882_n.jpg

Ebeth NSN.jpg

1148889_10201879980064435_837177388_n.jpg

970045_10201505538943641_420560228_n.jpg

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:43 am quote
I'm not a lover of the PK, but if the PK becomes collectable at some point in the future, one with a largeframe motor installed will be the exception.

Now, a P2 engine is becoming very sought after, at least in the UK. It belongs in a largeframe, preferably an original P2.

IMHO of course.......
Addicted
2012 Stella 4T
Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:17 am quote
Ginch wrote:
I guess the downside of the PK in this situation is that it's much squarer than Ebeth's, so the engine cover would be harder to blend in.
I googled largeframe engine in a smallframe, and one guy cut the side panel off, and carefully welded in pieces to extend the side panel out an inch or two so a largeframe engine would fit underneath. He also did it to the other side to balance it visually, his work looked good, but the scooter looked weird with a huge ass like that. If you wanted, you could add a storage compartment to the left side.
Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
I appreciate the feedback, but can you elaborate a bit more on why the masses are against it? I have another PK125XL that is completely stock, and enjoy it for what it is. I'm not looking on tuning up a smallframe motor to get P200 power either.
A meat smoothie sounds pretty darn efficient to me...you can get your days protein in a couple gulps.
I have no real world experience with the unholy union you speak of. It would be an interesting project to watch. The feedback I've seen that's the most negative is on small frame forums. Here people mention poor handling, bad aesthetics but the crowd is generally biased against most things large frame. It really depends on why you want to do it? What is your expectation or goal?
Hooked
1964 v90, 1970 VBC, lots of dumb twist n go toys
Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 am quote
I think I'd use Sprint cowls or something else from that series... They'd fit the lines better.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 am quote
Just because you CAN put two things together doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Pretzels and beer is good, pretzels IN beer is not.

Seems to me that if you got some more orphan scooters you could make two really good scooters out of what you have......

But go ahead, a Mazda Miata with a Corvette engine is just what some people are looking for.....

Last edited by Larrytsg on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Smallframes!
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:25 am quote
Don't do it. /end thread

Seriously tho, if you must go through with it, widen the PK frame, don't cut the P200 motor.

Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:25 am quote
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
I have no real world experience with the unholy union you speak of. It would be an interesting project to watch. The feedback I've seen that's the most negative is on small frame forums. Here people mention poor handling, bad aesthetics but the crowd is generally biased against most things large frame. It really depends on why you want to do it? What is your expectation or goal?
My goal is to build something a bit more unique. And since I have a PK frame and a P2 engine laying around gathering dust, I figured I would do something with them both. It would also be fun to have a Smallframe that can reliably go thousands of miles at 55-60mph + without skipping a beat. I'm no Smallframe hater either. I also have a 50 Special (with a Pinasco 102 kit) and a PK125 in my stable. I have a few P200s, so I have zero interest in having another one.
I'm sure some Smallframe owners out there will say that a tuned SF can reliably go just as fast if not faster than a stock P2. Part of that is true, but there is no way that a tuned anything can be as reliable for as long as a boring stock P2 engine.
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 am quote
Larrytsg wrote:
Just because you CAN put two things together doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Pretzels and beer is good, pretzels IN beer is not.

Seems to me that is you got some more orphan scooters you could make two really good scooters out of what you have......

But go ahead, a Mazda Miata with a Corvette engine is just what some people are looking for.....
I don't have all the parts to make the PK complete. I just have a frame. If I did decide to get all the parts together to get the PK running, it wouldn't be worth it to me because of time and money...mostly money. And yes, I'm pretty sure that I have all the parts to make a complete P2, but I really don't want another P2 in my stable. I'd rather have something a bit more unique.
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:37 am quote
lucifermonkey wrote:
Don't do it. /end thread

Seriously tho, if you must go through with it, widen the PK frame, don't cut the P200 motor.

I'm in totally agreement on not cutting the motor.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86 and a not so normal pts100 '82
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
PureDrivenSnow wrote:
My goal is to build something a bit more unique. And since I have a PK frame and a P2 engine laying around gathering dust, I figured I would do something with them both. It would also be fun to have a Smallframe that can reliably go thousands of miles at 55-60mph + without skipping a beat. I'm no Smallframe hater either. I also have a 50 Special (with a Pinasco 102 kit) and a PK125 in my stable. I have a few P200s, so I have zero interest in having another one.
I'm sure some Smallframe owners out there will say that a tuned SF can reliably go just as fast if not faster than a stock P2. Part of that is true, but there is no way that a tuned anything can be as reliable for as long as a boring stock P2 engine.
do it mate i am on ur back its the best modification i ever did and i miss doing it but since i barely dont have much time so i can only remeber all the good time i have with that not so normal smallie

good luck with the project and cheer

ps: u will gonna have a rocket launcher as i remember clearly how my bike like to whellie
Hooked
50 N
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am quote
Quote:
And yes, I'm pretty sure that I have all the parts to make a complete P2, but I really don't want another P2 in my stable. I'd rather have something a bit more unique.
So why not build it up then sell one or two of them and get a Quattrini M200 engine for the PK?
Hooked
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:46 am quote
Juan Kerr wrote:
Quote:
And yes, I'm pretty sure that I have all the parts to make a complete P2, but I really don't want another P2 in my stable. I'd rather have something a bit more unique.
So why not build it up then sell one or two of them and get a Quattrini M200 engine for the PK?
Or buy this http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/crankcases+quattrini+c200+_24332000 and then find an old P200 frame and then you end up with 2 scooters instead of one money pit basket case.
Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 pm quote
In my view that m200 kit is excessive. I would do this http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/crankcases+sip+for+54mm+stroke_24311000 if I was building from scratch. A 54mm crank will deliver a very dynamic ride without having to sell your kids to the circus.

You can have a small frame that travels at p200 speeds/torque with a 54mm crank and it could still be reliable. Just set it up properly with port timings to deliver the power at a lower rpm.

I do understand you have this stuff sitting around. Hence you want to put it together but that logic wouldn't really inspire me.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:50 pm quote
I have zero experience with it, so my completely unqualified opinion: go for it if that's what you want to do. You'll either wind up with a super fun scoot or a heap of junk, but either way you'll enjoy the process of making it.

Best,
-Slashy
Ossessionato
1980 P200E, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:56 pm quote
They make such sweet tuning parts for smallies, much more fun than a p200 engine. Plus you keep the looks!
Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:59 pm quote
Ive seen it done and ridden the results
The Galvatron is such a scoot in NZ...( galvanised frame gave the name )..early 90s .

Two pieces of wood were nailed to the workbench the width of a rim

This gave the line so the back and front wheel would line up perfect during measuring

The swing arm area/bolt of the frame was stretched out slightly by using a car jack. Over two weeks the Jack got turned half a turn each night to "retain metal memory"

Then came time to cut the engine swing arm...vs cutting and welding the frame to accept the p200

$$$ and time quicky settled on careful measuring and using a hand held hacksaw was to cut approx 10 cm from ones side only ....and only took minutes ..the angsting prior was longer...in the end.."there was no other way"

The two bits of wood nailed to the bench were vital....Measure ten times cut once.Make that 20

No side door and tin snips gave carb clearance

The rest is lots of nights in the shed

DO IT..and forget the haters and purists

when riding ,your body adjusts to the Lard frame feelings compared to smallie style ride/steer with your hips approach....after all that motor(p200) has the weight to one side even though wheel are in line
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:22 pm quote
To build it 'right' needs another motor plus gofast money and he's already got a proper smallie. He's got most of the pieces and I believe the motor would be 100% salvageable & frame nearly same if he hits project fail status. Def not for everybody or anybody that wants a normal fast smallie, but Ebeth sure had a good time w/ his.
Ginch wrote:
Do it! It's not like a PK is some super-rare example that should be preserved in a jar of alcohol. Sounds like fun.

It's a naked orphan PK frame, not like this would set back the whole NSM scene and if he posts up the project in process, it might be more interesting than many threads these days. We can handle a little well mannered controversy, right?

This should clinch it for you if you're still on the fence:
koenig blues wrote:
do it mate i am on ur back its the best modification i ever did and i miss doing it but since i barely dont have much time so i can only remeber all the good time i have with that not so normal smallie

good luck with the project and cheer

ps: u will gonna have a rocket launcher as i remember clearly how my bike like to whellie
Hooked
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:06 pm quote
I am very sad I wish we could find PK models in Australia. They look like such a nice model.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:46 pm quote
giramassi wrote:
I am very sad I wish we could find PK models in Australia. They look like such a nice model.
A friend recently bought a running PK50 in Melbourne for $600. I don't know where they come from when they turn up here.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:58 pm quote
Oh shit, Now I feel bad. How about I sell you this one( PK love page , first post) dirt cheap because I agree PK's are fine machines! Especially when they have the newer style PK fork, gas gauge, choke on the handlebar, latest clutch and single cable shift - click, click, click. All yours for, say 250 euro, about what I have in it?

What would you do w/ a naked PK frame, and had to track down all the stuff to make it right? Both doors? Legit headset? Gonna add up. Build a rat & it doesn't matter. Tough call, maybe easier when it's an older smallie.
Hooked
1964 v90, 1970 VBC, lots of dumb twist n go toys
Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:40 pm quote
I'd build it as an extreme cutdown. Leave so little that it'd be hard to tell what the hell it started as. Then slap a Serveta badge on the front and a Jawa badge on the back. While wearing an old Harley flat track jacket.
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:10 pm quote
Juan Kerr wrote:
Quote:
You have a point about building up both bikes to sell them. A P2 sells for what, $2k to $3.5k tops? The only PK part i have is the frame and maybe a seat (no headset, no fork), so it isn't worth much.
Since i already have some kitted bikes that run strong and hard, i'm not really looking into getting into the triple mph territory with the M200, even though that is one sick kit! I'm under the notion that any reliably higher tuned scoot engine will cost in the $3.5-$5+ range once you include cases, crank, cyl, clutch, aftermarket tranny, carb, ect... If i were to invest that much money, i'd rather throw it at my Lammy so i can bang through a 5 speed gearbox.

Am i in danger of being ostracized by the United States P2 Preservation Society?
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:07 pm quote
i'll be the dissenting opinion here: cut the engine.

cut the swing arm and then use machined spacers to align it properly. that way when you're done playing with that suicide machine you can always take the P2 lump and throw it into something else.

on the other side of the coin there are considerations: you are going to need a fork and a headset and wiring and cabling and what not. so... by the time you source all of that... you could just throw a smallie motor in and have a rider and be ready to party. sell the P2 motor, score a fork and bits (PK stuff is cheap cuz nobody likes 'em AND you can still get NOS stuff from the EU) and then scoop up a motor and you'd be in business.

if you're considering undertaking the job because you actually *want* to have a smallie with a big frame motor that's one thing. if you're considering the job because you think it's easier... well, that's a whole different story.

frankly, you could probably sell off the motor and frame, dig thru the couch cushions for some spare change and come up with enough to get a decent allstate or vbb... just saying...

-g
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:15 pm quote
greasy125 wrote:
i'll be the dissenting opinion here: cut the engine.

cut the swing arm and then use machined spacers to align it properly. that way when you're done playing with that suicide machine you can always take the P2 lump and throw it into something else.

on the other side of the coin there are considerations: you are going to need a fork and a headset and wiring and cabling and what not. so... by the time you source all of that... you could just throw a smallie motor in and have a rider and be ready to party. sell the P2 motor, score a fork and bits (PK stuff is cheap cuz nobody likes 'em AND you can still get NOS stuff from the EU) and then scoop up a motor and you'd be in business.

if you're considering undertaking the job because you actually *want* to have a smallie with a big frame motor that's one thing. if you're considering the job because you think it's easier... well, that's a whole different story.

frankly, you could probably sell off the motor and frame, dig thru the couch cushions for some spare change and come up with enough to get a decent allstate or vbb... just saying...

-g
I'm not looking at this project to save money, i'm looking at for more as a fun project. I have a very high build quality expectation of myself, so i don't see this as a challenge. I already have a Allstate with a P2 motor with a Grimeca up front. I don't need another...
Addicted
SS180, V90, Lambrettas, RD's and a K1300s and an RZ500

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 pm quote
I like the idea, so much so that I did it in 1990. The end result? something Vespa knowledgeable people took interest in...Was it life changing? No. Did I think it was cool, yes.

It rode fine (I cut a P fork down to have the better suspension and brakes) although like all Vespas was heavy on the right side.

Would I do it again? Absolutely not. The biggest reason - I am nearly 30 years older and although equally as foolish, my tastes have changed. But to be honest, it didn't make a better scooter, just a different scooter. Otherwise I would still be riding and converting others to (yes, we called it) Frankenscooter...

I have a PK motor I don't need if you are interested in building it up PK style.
Sergeant at Arms
Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I'm not looking at this project to save money, i'm looking at for more as a fun project. I have a very high build quality expectation of myself, so i don't see this as a challenge. I already have a Allstate with a P2 motor with a Grimeca up front. I don't need another...
i don't know what all you've got in your stable, but if you don't have a smallie i'd build it as such seeing as that it's basically the same amount of work with a lot less head scratching and fiddle fucking around. however if you do have a smallie, then throw caution to the wind, break out the welder and hammers and get to it! a LF motor in the little frame is equal bits terrifying and enjoyable...

anyway... yeah, if you do it... cut the motor. trust me on this one.

-g
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:13 pm quote
TR wrote:
I like the idea, so much so that I did it in 1990. The end result? something Vespa knowledgeable people took interest in...Was it life changing? No. Did I think it was cool, yes.

It rode fine (I cut a P fork down to have the better suspension and brakes) although like all Vespas was heavy on the right side.

Would I do it again? Absolutely not. The biggest reason - I am nearly 30 years older and although equally as foolish, my tastes have changed. But to be honest, it didn't make a better scooter, just a different scooter. Otherwise I would still be riding and converting others to (yes, we called it) Frankenscooter...

I have a PK motor I don't need if you are interested in building it up PK style.
That's some great first hand feedback.
About your PK motor...does it happen to be a VMX6T engine? How complete is it?
Enthusiast
Rally 180, TS 125, PX 150 and a lot of smallies
Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:13 pm quote
I got a 90 frame, headset, and p200 cases cut down to fit in the frame. That I'll trade for your p200 motor?
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 pm quote
I'm appreciating all of the feedback, opinions, ideas, warnings, and death threats from everyone! Thank you!
Sergeant at Arms
Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:27 pm quote
TR wrote:
I have a PK motor I don't need....
go on... i'm listening...
Addicted
SS180, V90, Lambrettas, RD's and a K1300s and an RZ500

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:04 pm quote
It is a V5A4M...It is missing the rear hub...

I bought it with a bunch of other stuff, I do not know the condition or history, but it is clean and has a Polini kit on it.

I am in Northern Calif, light enough to be shipped.

I also have a Rally motor and a V9A1M if Greasy needs to add to the shelving!
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 pm quote
TR wrote:
It is a V5A4M...It is missing the rear hub...

I bought it with a bunch of other stuff, I do not know the condition or history, but it is clean and has a Polini kit on it.

I am in Northern Calif, light enough to be shipped.

I also have a Rally motor and a V9A1M if Greasy needs to add to the shelving!
Thanks for the offer on the SF engine, but I'm going to pass. A VMX6T engine case is the only one that perks my interest.
Molto Verboso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:56 pm quote
ccsp03 wrote:
I got a 90 frame, headset, and p200 cases cut down to fit in the frame. That I'll trade for your p200 motor?
It would seem most logical to swap parts with you, but my main thing is that I have done a bunch of stuff to my 200 engine, so I really don't want to get rid of it. I rebuild it with a EFL transmission and a DRT cruciform. When I last had my crankshaft disassembled for a rebuild, I polished the connecting rod and crank webs before I had oil slots cut into the con rod. I got a GS piston in there as well. I also matched the carb intake to the intake. Heck, I even matched the cylinder ports to the cases. It was a bunch of little things that I did to try to maximize the potential of the stock engine. I did zero mods to the head or cylinder though. I was trying to keep it super stock. My point is, that I don't think it's worth it to me to sell this particular engine.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12345678Next
[ Time: 0.3047s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0555s) ][ Debug on ]