Possible retirement at 54/ Bill's Medical Malady
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234...111213Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:24 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
Bjorn Toulouse wrote:
one thing for sure is you spend less money if you are not at work.
This sure hasn't been the case around our house since my wife retired!
Two kids in college and traveling around the world we aren't spending any leads though college expenses end soon and when our house sells that will free up a bit of cash each month too as well as considerably reduce our taxes and insurance rates.
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:46 am quote
Place Mat
I have to say I found his my time with him very beneficial.

He's close to retirement and so he didn't have anything to gain financially to from advising me but this is what he suggested.

1, Once probate has been granted I take an entire year off so I can fully come to terms with the loss of my parents and to see where my condition takes me.

2 Pay myself a wage for this period while putting the equivalent of years pay to one side as an emergency fund.

3 Take the remainder and divide it up into amounts of £85,000 then place it into savings accounts with different banks as this is the maximum amount that banks are obliged to pay out if the bank goes under.

4 Possibly take £50,000 ( the maximum amount ) and buy premium bonds.
Not only is there a chance of winning a million but the small amounts I could win would probably net me more than a bank savings account during one year.

5 After a year possibly take the amount in the savings accounts and invest as much as possible into a higher risk bond while annually creaming off the interest into an ISA which can increase by £20,000 a year.

6 Take a very long vacation.

7 Don't piss any money up the wall ( which has been gained from the inheritance ) within that first year as it's often motivated my resolving short term grief.

8 Ensure that your National Insurance payments are being kept up so they will contribute to your Government Pension.

9 Be awesome.

10 Remain being awesome

Bill x
Molto Verboso
px 200, lxv 125
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:58 am quote
instead of premium bonds or isa
buy a lambretta sx 200 and one of those vacuum bags.
ride lammy on dry days put in vacuum after use.
DO NOT CRASH
sell when required for profit - bound to make more than any isa just now.
no capital gains tax on a lammy.........yet
Banned
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 am quote
Big Drum
It's a nice thought but for reasons that I don't want to repeat I won't be riding anything Italian for a while.

There might be something Indian in my future though.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
px 200, lxv 125
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 am quote
you could just look at it, still a good investment
I missed the boat when you could pick them up for £5000
Banned
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 am quote
Plus
I might be up your way on Saturday if the weather stays good.

Just sayin.

Bill x
Banned
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:22 am quote
Bong
Just sold my Parents house.

On the market for one week.

Bill x
Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede"
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 pm quote
Re: Place Mat
Bill Dog wrote:

He's close to retirement and so he didn't have anything to gain financially to from advising me but this is what he suggested.

1, Once probate has been granted I take an entire year off so I can fully come to terms with the loss of my parents and to see where my condition takes me.

2 Pay myself a wage for this period while putting the equivalent of years pay to one side as an emergency fund.

3 Take the remainder and divide it up into amounts of £85,000 then place it into savings accounts with different banks as this is the maximum amount that banks are obliged to pay out if the bank goes under.

Not only is there a chance of winning a million but the small amounts I could win would probably net me more than a bank savings account during one year.

5 After a year possibly take the amount in the savings accounts and invest as much as possible into a higher risk bond while annually creaming off the interest into an ISA which can increase by £20,000 a year.

7 Don't piss any money up the wall ( which has been gained from the inheritance ) within that first year as it's often motivated my resolving short term grief.

8 Ensure that your National Insurance payments are being kept up so they will contribute to your Government Pension.

9 Be awesome.

10 Remain being awesome

Bill x
Interesting advice. Some things I didn't know the full facts on, there.

Thanks for sharing.
Banned
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:29 pm quote
Bank
Glad I could help.

We've just sold the house so that's another hurdle.

It should all be resolved by the end of the year.

Bill x
Addicted
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 am quote
Re: Bank
Bill Dog wrote:
Glad I could help.

We've just sold the house so that's another hurdle.

It should all be resolved by the end of the year.

Bill x
Glad to hear it.

I was also pleased to see that the pro adviser confirmed the (limited) advice that I gave.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:15 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:

9 Be awesome.

10 Remain being awesome

Bill x
You need to be realistic with your goals Bill. 80% is ok.
Banned
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 am quote
click
These are my thoughts -

My condition isn't going to kill me ( unless it's left unchecked ) but it's unfair on an employer to take me on if I'm going to be doing the rounds with the hospitals.

Right now the drugs are containing it but they aren't stopping it so until it's resolved I'm going to make the best of this sabbatical.

My chromosomes 9 and 22 are getting involved with each other which is making my white cells reproduce like rabbits.

It like cousins marrying, which never goes well.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:49 am quote
Re: click
Bill Dog wrote:

Ewww! And inside of your body, no less.

Seriously, sounds like reasonable thinking. I guess you're fortunate to have the options you do.

Wish you the best, Bill.
Addicted
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:19 pm quote
Thinking about this one, I would stick by my previous advice.
Bill Dog wrote:
Capitano wrote:
check your National Insurance contributions and make sure you have enough for full state pension at 67. If you don't, then one option is to make yourself self employed and pay the minimum contributions to get the entitlement.
If you register as self employed you can pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions when you do your year-end self assessment. It's a fixed rate and discounted as opposed to employed status contributions.

Class 4 contributions are not due unless you earn above a threshold.

This will ensure that your National Insurance record is solid enough to guarantee a full state pension at 67. You can register as self employed doing anything, "blog writer," or "freelance journalist," for example.
You don't have to earn anything. In fact you could register a loss every year if your valid expenses outweigh your profits.

It does mean that you can take on paid work, though, for example if you wanted to cover staff holidays for our previous employer, or get some sponsorship for a prolonged scooter ride. In fact t becomes very easy for an employer as you simply submit an invoice, they pay it, and that's that.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:24 pm quote
purpose they did so claim
Bill Dog wrote:
You tell this to little princess Yoda that lives round the back from us ..... Their family are doing OK 😡
Banned
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:44 am quote
Bong
They may be but it's the next generation I worry about.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 am quote
Sorry to hear all this BillD. I was in a state trying to figure out how to take care of my wife (Multiple Sclerosis). A friend I was working with said this "When it comes down to it, you can always make more money but you cannot get the time back". I believe Capt Jim said something similar.

I've been a full time carer for my wife for the last 2 1/2 years and the finances seem to work themselves out in the long run. Between ETF's and not going crazy on buying stuff, it's working out fine.

I wish you the best with these decisions. Time is short, a life goes by in the blink of an eye, so do what you'd like and live in the moment - that's where it's really at!

Peace brother!
Banned
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 am quote
Slim
Thank you.

That was very heart warming.

Right now I'm going to pace out the next 3 months until probate is being granted then go from there.

Until I get a green light from Oncology I won't return to work, that's for certain.

I'll survive.

Bill x
Banned
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:13 pm quote
List
Just a small up date from the Hospital.

Yes the bad element in my blood is being contained by the drug and it's fluctuating within acceptable parameters so we're going to stick with it until January then we'll have the conversation about changing the drug or go looking for a bone marrow doner.

To occupy my days when I'm not dealing with all the legal stuff I'm walking around 5 miles a day to keep my weight down and my fitness up.

I thought that I might have an issue with not working but I've found it quite easy to adjust.

Strange days indeed.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:07 pm quote
Bill Dog wrote:
I thought that I might have an issue with not working but I've found it quite easy to adjust.
Anyone who thinks they NEED to work for someone else regardless of money requirements is best off trying to live inside of their own priorities for a while and see how it goes. It just requires a workable financial plan - plus the ability to develop your own schedules and commitments.
Banned
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:38 pm quote
Agreed
It sounds lazy but not having to leave the house to go to work for 11 hours a day is something that I don't miss so I think it's time to take stock and see what the house sale and probate brings.

As I'm not a materialist I don't plan to indulge myself, just try and make the best of this sabbatical while at the same time figure out what's best for the long term.

For now a long term self paid monthly wage seems the most attractive option.

Bill x
Banned
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:03 am quote
List
Just a small update.

I'm staying on this particular drug until February with monthly hospital visits.

It will either be a change of drug after that or a bone marrow transplant.

My parents house has been sold twice and the buyers have pulled out the same amount of times.

There are two viewings tomorrow.

Staying away from employment has been the right thing to do while all this dust is settling and even though I've been offered 3 jobs recently I know I'm not where I want to be.

It can wait.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:15 am quote
Bill: Hoping the medical change-up is smooth and effective.

And, yep, house selling can seriously suck. Hoping third time's the proverbial charm.

Thanks for the update!
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 am quote
The last time we sold a house we accepted two offers below our asking price that both fell though.

Then we got a full-price offer that went through no problem.

So you never know.
Banned
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 am quote
We've dropped it by £25,000 in an attempt to speed it's exit but it's coming up to Christmas and Brexit is also on it's way which have given everyone else the jitters.

We could be in for a long haul.

Bill x
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 am quote
It's particularly difficult in the UK at the moment with the Brexit uncertainties. I've had a 2-bed flat in Hampton UK on the market since mid-August, and no offers even after reducing the price below what similar ones are being advertised for.
Enthusiast
Sprint 125, Guzzi V711 Special
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm quote
Bill Dog wrote:

9 Be awesome.

10 Remain being awesome

Bill x
Hi Bill Dog,

All good advice, I think. I would add that:

1. What looks like a lot of money can get spent pretty quickly on emergencies, surprises etc.

2. Inflation eats up money.

3. £100k sounds a lot. At 2% interest rates (and we're not at that) it's only £2k pa.

4. Premium bonds: check average returns - I think it's around 1.3%. You do have the chance of the big prize of course.

5. Take care, enjoy.

Beerman
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:13 pm quote
Hey Bill,

Sorry to hear about your parents. I lost mine when I was 40, but my wife's are still with us. We had the benefit of a great teacher's retirement system during our careers, so we were able to retire in our mid 50's, and haven't looked back. Stay on top of the health issues, hope that goes well. IMHO, money is important, but not as much as the people in one's life. I am thankful for my family, friends, and even my online community. Sharing your passion and adventures with others is strong medicine, partake freely!

Warren
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:38 pm quote
Ay, Brexit...that's thrown everything up in the air, although it's too easy for anyone not directly or indirectly affected to see it as just a curious economic issue and nothing more. A lot more serious to a lot of other folks.
Banned
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 am quote
List
Update,

House is in the process of being sold ( for the 3rd time) as long as the conveyancing goes OK.

Transfer of bonds, savings and investments all going through.

Leukemia being held in check but not being cured by drugs so that will be reappraised in February.

Having a bone marrow transplant sounds very unpleasant.

Not worked since June so I can clear up the mess.

Off to the USA on Friday morning as I need some time away from it all.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:04 am quote
Re: List
Bill Dog wrote:
Update,

House is in the process of being sold ( for the 3rd time) as long as the conveyancing goes OK.

Transfer of bonds, savings and investments all going through.

Leukemia being held in check but not being cured by drugs so that will be reappraised in February.

Having a bone marrow transplant sounds very unpleasant.

Not worked since June so I can clear up the mess.

Off to the USA on Friday morning as I need some time away from it all.

Bill x
Best of luck Bill! Be sure and keep up posted on your progress.
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:26 am quote
Bill,

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Why not take a hybrid approach? Take a year off and get healthy? Fight the crap and when not receiving treatment, do some traveling. Keep in contact with the prospective jobs and contacts.

OR

Do you have the ability to work in consulting or from home? I can tell you that I recently lost a friend to Lymphoma and he was 62. Tragically, his treatment failed. However, he did take the time to travel, visit family, and enjoy his last few years. He worked remotely for us during this time and with Internet and a laptop was able to keep a steady paycheck.

Whatever you do, focus on yourself. Like you say, we only get one go around and you deserve to enjoy it.
Banned
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:03 am quote
Cans
That's the plan.

Once probate has been granted I'll be able to fend off the wolves from my door.

Then I'll plan a few trips while I gauge where the treatment takes me.

It's a good plan.

Bill x
Enthusiast
Primavera 125 3v Liberty ABS125 3v
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:26 pm quote
I know where you are...
Bill,
I was diagnosed Multiple Myeloma two years ago at 52. I was Airline Captain flying transatlantic routes.
My hobby was flying also, aerobatics and classic airplanes (aside from Vespas).
Almost all of this has gone now. After a bone marrow self-transplant that did not serve I’m waiting for another trasplant, this time from a donor.
I never planned to stop flying so early, but believe me I do not regret it. The economy is covered so far and I have a chance to live (don’t know how much...) and enjoy my time to my best now. Really I could not afford going back to work again and loose any precious time.
I do not need to do anything special each day, just plan myself and execute with complete freedom to adjust as needed!
Enjoy your time fellow biker😊
Banned
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 am quote
Wing
Just a quick update.

The couple buying our parents have had to pull out as their chain has broken so they are now re-advertising their property.

Because we're desperate to sell we've given them 3 week to sell their place again..

All of the conveyancing with this buyer has been completed so I can't see any point in putting it back on the market as the process would have to start all over again.

I don't have any regrets about leaving work but I do think that I was being a little naive to think that selling our parents property would take longer than this.

I've got two more hospital appointments coming up with a chance that they are going to try another drug as my condition is being reigned in but it's not improving.

Bugger.

Bill x
Banned
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:24 am quote
Slide
Well after a hospital check up today the bad news is the drugs aren't working so my condition won't improve if I carry on popping these babies so after a week off the meds I'm switching to some more powerful ones in the hope that my bone marrow will eventually behave.

We've had to take yet another hit on the house as our buyers chain has broken so to sell his house quickly he's had to discount it so rather than have to start all over again we're sticking with this guy.

Leaving going back to work until I'm better.

Bill x

Last edited by Bill Dog on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 am quote
Good luck with the new meds Bill.
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:24 pm quote
Hopefully the new drugs will do as they are told Bill.
Enthusiast
Primavera 125 3v Liberty ABS125 3v
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:17 pm quote
Re: Slide
[quote="Bill Dog"]Well after a hospital check up today the bad news is the drugs aren't working so my condition won't improve if I carry on popping these babies so after a week off the meds I'm switching to some more powerful ones in the hope that my bone marrow will eventually behave.

Bill I’m sure you’ll find the right treatment. My chromosome 17 is mad also... and after some ups and downs I’m on the right track now!

I wish you the best.

Jose.
Banned
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:38 pm quote
So
It's my chromosome 9 and 22 that are having an field day at the moment.

Like relatives marrying they are getting involved with each other and that's always bad news.

Thank you for your kind words Jose.

Lets look to the future shall we ?

Bill x
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234...111213Next
[ Time: 0.1877s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0658s) ][ Debug on ]