New Fuel Pump?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio mp3 125
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:48 pm quote
Hi guys,

I am just wondering if anyone could help me with an issue Iím having with my MP3 yourban.

In September I got caught short with low fuel and the bike stalled. It started straight away and got it to a petrol station where I was headed.

After filling it up, it wouldnít start and after a while with recovery coming out it started up fine.

I was told by the mechanic that I probably had air in the tank to lack of petrol and it should clear whilst riding the bike.

Since then I have lost about 30-40 miles fuel economy from a tank, before Iíd get 130 miles min and now Iím lucky to get 100.

I also keep hearing a popping noise that sounds like itís from the exhaust and the bike lacks a bit of power some times.

Would it be a case of replacing the fuel pump as a bit of research says letting the fuel run low can affect the pressure in the tank and damage the pump.

Is it that difficult of a job Iím terms of do I just have to unscrew the pump after disconnecting the hoses or does it need to have special tools for pressure etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:02 am quote
I'd try resetting the ECU first. When the fuel ran out, it might have messed with the system calibration. Just disconnect the battery for a minute, then reconnect it. That may clear your problem. It's sure an inexpensive and easy fix if it works, and if it doesn't you can start messing with a new fuel pump, etc.
Piaggio mp3 125
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 am quote
Thanks for the tip but the battery has been out a few times since and itís not got any better.

I even tried with the master key to no avail.

Looks like it will be a new pump.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 pm quote
i should change the relay first
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:39 am quote
From your description of the timeline of events I would guess that some dirt was picked up from the bottom of the tank and may be preventing the injector from closing properly. That would account for the high fuel consumption. Have a look at the oil level and see/smell if there is fuel in it.
Hooked
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:52 am quote
I had success cleaning another bike honda cbr 125 injector after the main tank had rusted. using carb cleaner and a 12v rig to power the injector open. back flushing it.
Piaggio mp3 125
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm quote
Thanks for the replies,

I checked the oil and there is no change to the level and cannot smell fuel.

I tried some STP moto boost just before Christmas which has done nothing.

It seems that it gets good economy up until a quarter of tank and then for that last quarter I get 10 miles at most.

I havenít noticed the little whoosh when opening the fuel cap when filling up so Im wondering if it is down to pressure.

Iíve managed to get a new fuel pump on eBay for a quarter of the new price on Fowlerís.

Iíll change the relay like Maksor has suggested and see what that does for a couple of weeks before changing over the pump.
Hooked
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:36 am quote
from memory you can get a new unbranded fuel pump of ebay for around £30 comes with filter and clamp. its just such a pain to do it though. there is a hidden bolt right at the front of the scoot at the lower end of the tank.it sits behind the lower casing panel. couple of water pipes around it so be careful not to nick the pipes with anything sharp.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 am quote
roadster wrote:
From your description of the timeline of events I would guess that some dirt was picked up from the bottom of the tank and may be preventing the injector from closing properly. That would account for the high fuel consumption. Have a look at the oil level and see/smell if there is fuel in it.
Why do people think this? And Lots of people think this.
The fuel pick up sits on the bottom of the tank all the time, it picks up every bit of fuel from the bottom of the tank. What has running out of fuel changed?
They design them like this so stuff doesn't build up on the bottom of the tank.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 am quote
Mcgeever wrote:
Thanks for the replies,

I tried some STP moto boost just before Christmas which has done nothing.

STP fuel cleaner is very weak.
Try some Chevron Techron Plus Concentrate. Make sure it is the concentrate or it is almost as weak as the STP junk.

You want that in your fuel system as long as possible, so don't add it and just
go for a long ride, you want short trips.
Piaggio mp3 125
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:19 pm quote
I went ahead with changing the fuel pump today and it seems straight forward.

I managed to get access to the old pump to take it out and out the new one in.

Thanks buddyspudface for that tip on the awkward bolt.

Only problem I am having is I cannot get the hose off of the old pump.

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube, I tried for 2 hours manouvering it about and trying to gently coax it out to no avail.

Does anyone have any hints to get it off?
Enthusiast
Vespa t5 Mk1
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:14 am quote
Some piaggio models have a recall on the fuel pump
Check hete if yours have
http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-piaggio_en.html
Hooked
mp3 500 sport
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:38 am quote
Changing fuel pump is a pain in the ass I had to change mine last year just keep at it getting new pump is the hardest bit weíll in my opinion anyway I got one off eBay cost £160 if I had known you can get away with just replacing pump itself
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.7187s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0863s) ][ Debug on ]