January ride
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 am quote
40 degrees F today and I have the day to myself, so I got the scooter out and went for a ride.

I hate to say it, but it's no fun. The streets are mostly clear of ice but I'm still nervous. There are too many stupid drivers out. And my gear fits too tight.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 am quote
Too much holiday turkey?

Honestly you need separate gear for winter riding to really be comfortable. My winter jacket has enough room to accommodate layers and straps that allow adjustment so the armour is in the right place. I have about 4 different ways to gear up depending on temp. From just the heavy jacket and Dainese Gore-tex gloves with merino liners to full on heated glove liners, balaclava, heated vest and merino long johns with heavy merino wool socks. A wool skull cap under the helmet also helps without the hassle (fogging) of a balaclava. I can and have ridden in up to about -15 C and been comfortable.

Now as far as being nervous, I can't help you there. It does depend on where you are of course. While it can get cold here Toronto doesn't get a lot of snow. I'll skip riding for a few days after a good snow just to give things time to dry up and with the insane amount of traffic the roads clear up fast. I won't lie, I have hit ice though only small patches and then it's a matter of waiting to hit dry pavement.

There are stupid drivers out year round, pretty sure they don't take time off Uber and Lyft have certainly added to the fun... I have been cut off by drivers for both services more than once as they pick up their fare.

If you don't want to ride in the winter I totally get it. I think there are maybe only 3 of us on MV that do it on a regular basis. In my area there are only 2 of us that park near my office regularly. Me and one guy with a GTS that has muffs on his scoot. On the roads near me I recognize about 4 other riders that do it and this is in a city of millions with free parking for motorcycles.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:23 am quote
Could this be why my clothes don't fit? Too many trips to Mel-O-Glaze?

No, I'm not going to make a habit of January rides. SWMBO put the kibosh on that, after another January ride three years ago. But while she's away...

Patches of ice, and being surrounded by drivers yakking on their phones -- kinda takes the fun out of it. Back into hibernation 'til Spring!

IMG_1574.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:52 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Could this be why my clothes don't fit? Too many trips to Mel-O-Glaze?

Naw, couldn't be it. Besides, got to keep a layer of insulation until spring.

Thought about riding, but no donut shop to go to, and the corners are full of sand, streets full of salt. Meh. Don't mind cold weather, but it's sort of a three strikes thing.....
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 pm quote
Riding Up North in Frost Bite Falls
We do a super job up here to keep cars safe for riding. This includes a
ton of salt and chemicals. The road ways are almost white with chemicals.

Kicking all this up on to your scooter can not be good. Especially because it
is to cold to wash them.

My two scoots are clean and sleeping in the garage until next season.

I would definitely join you Kraig and the donut shop. Nothing better that
hot coffee and super donuts.

Bob Copeland
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.5238s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1334s) ][ Debug on ]