Some may question how anyone reading this forum could come to that conclusion - a fair point - however - this one's been boiling for 10+ years. Decided its time to act.
For those of you still reading past first 2 paragraphs - would greatly appreciate your expertise/insights. See below.
Use: this is a grocery getter/ pub and coffee shop commuter. Replacing my skateboard. will likely never see hwy - but if it does - it should be rock solid. drivability/durability/reliability/ vespa beauty/ are top goals. Live in So Cal. so year round driver.
Current Plan: Modified PX frame/chassis from these guys https://www.scooter-and-service.de/shop/ to give look I want - mixed with donor P200E or the like from home US market to give the reliability/ cost/value/ parts to assemble. (side car a whole other ball of wax).
I get that I can pay Scooter & Service $15K to ship me a street scorching retro looking super bike. This is not that project.
The goal - Think VBB looks with great torque - and even better breaks/ front suspension to handle side car stresses and provide me a fighting chance of survival as I learn. Everything you need - nothing you don't.
And that's the challenge. Put together a great bike, with enough from Scooters&Service, while using as much of a donor bike as I can - to achieve goals. But what donor and why?
Your view on:
- What donor bike/model/yrs would be ideal - and in your view why?
- Is there a US P model with hydraulic front disc that would fit the bill - or stock solution for disc that will fit a P fork/10" wheel ? Is it even needed?
- Is there a donor model that has a good front suspension for my needs?
- Clutch that will withstand low rev/ high torque?
- Electric start model that would allow me to both kick and push button?
- Is there a US model (uglier and cheaper the better) that has a certain set of specs or components in general that might marry well to the Scooters&Service chassis?
- Gearing options ? I've heard the P150x might be better geared - perhaps go with 150 and tune? thoughts?
- Some combo? P200e with certain aftermarket carb or exhaust? How would you set this bike up?
- Is there a P conversion that someones' written about that you think stands out/ has merit? (I may have missed - feel free to share).
you get the idea.
Welcome out of the box thinking/suggestions - and thanks for input in advance!
- I am specifically choosing the P frame over VBB for its size, frame geometry, and front suspension - to help deal with side car - just not a fan of the P styling.
- Pics below of the PX modified tail and nose S&S does if interested/unfamiliar