Riding after Spinal Fusion
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Thunder Thief
2010 GTS 300 Super & 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Location: in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia... on the trail of the lonesome pine..."
Fri May 03, 2019 5:54 am quote
Okay... I am quite sure there are others out there who have had this surgery and I would love to hear your stories about recovery and getting back on the bike. My surgery is coming up in a few weeks and I am wondering what I am in for. I am not shy to pain given I have had numerous other surgeries but this is the first spine one for me. I am having L4-S1 fusion. I have dealt with this pain for over 15 years that I can remember. I have tried everything and nothing lasts more than a few weeks, PT, injections, meds etc.
It is time....

Tell me your stories my scrinchy back comrades
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Fri May 03, 2019 6:19 am quote
I had spinal fusion in 1982 after 2 car accidents and having been in constant pain (and we are talking real pain) for about 4 years.

The surgery was successful and within 6 weeks I could do anything. I had two rods put into my back.

This lasted until 2003 when I had more prolapses needing attention. This time the rods messed up the MRI imagery and the Surgeon worked on me in 2004 not really knowing what he would find. He ended up taking out the rods and doing a discectomy on me.

Having not ridden on two wheels since 1972 I took up scootering again in 2008. I have been riding ever since. I bought a new 125 GTV in 2008, replaced it with a 125 GTS SS in 2012 and a new Honda Forza in 2015.

I now have more prolapses since December 2018 and have had another MRI. The Jury is out at the moment as to whether to operate for the third time or not.

I could no longer handle the 162kgs of the Forza and last month replaced it with a 105kgs Honda Monkey bike.

To date I'm still riding.

Good Luck Froggie.

somerset
Thunder Thief
Location: in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia... on the trail of the lonesome pine..."
Fri May 03, 2019 7:55 am quote
Thank you for the reply somerset.

I can't put my finger on a moment in time which everything started happening, but I can look back and know my back has been wrecked from my mid 20's on till now. For a long time doctors would give me the pat pat, and send me on my way until I had a neurosurgeon look at recent scans. He did a CT, multiple X-rays and and MRI to see all details he could. I was told he was the best and have read reviews for him. I feel fully confident in his assessment. Several years ago my big toe on one foot started to go numb. That led me to seek more than the basic level of help from ortho's and injections. Basically I have degeneration on the left side of L5-S1 making my spine tilt to the side while compressing the sciatic nerve (good times), thus making my lower spine curve back and twist. I have some stability and no disc ruptures but the compression is what is getting me.
I am asking because I have heard numerous stories of back surgery recoveries, from perfect results to "he was never the same again". Realistically, I am currently in pain every day and it affects everything I do, everyday. I am able to ignore it for the most part but I walk around like a geriatric patient and I am only 40.

I appreciate your reply, it helps lower my worries some.
somerset wrote:
I had spinal fusion in 1982 after 2 car accidents and having been in constant pain (and we are talking real pain) for about 4 years.

The surgery was successful and within 6 weeks I could do anything. I had two rods put into my back.

This lasted until 2003 when I had more prolapses needing attention. This time the rods messed up the MRI imagery and the Surgeon worked on me in 2004 not really knowing what he would find. He ended up taking out the rods and doing a discectomy on me.

Having not ridden on two wheels since 1972 I took up scootering again in 2008. I have been riding ever since. I bought a new 125 GTV in 2008, replaced it with a 125 GTS SS in 2012 and a new Honda Forza in 2015.

I now have more prolapses since December 2018 and have had another MRI. The Jury is out at the moment as to whether to operate for the third time or not.

I could no longer handle the 162kgs of the Forza and last month replaced it with a 105kgs Honda Monkey bike.

To date I'm still riding.

Good Luck Froggie.

somerset
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri May 03, 2019 12:20 pm quote
No personal experience, but have seen dozens of patients who have had fusions, either prior to seeing me or after conservative treatment failed. I'd say the majority have done quite a bit better, a few not so much. More than one wished they hadn't waited so long. Sometimes stopping things from moving is the only way to make things better.

I can imagine you're nervous, but in the hands of a good surgeon, you know that the outcomes are favorable. Good results may not be 100% relief, but even half of that should make you feel it was worth it. And you may be surprised.

My two cents'......
Ossessionato
Fri May 03, 2019 1:41 pm quote
I don't know if this will help - but I have had a couple of back surgeries. first one was in 2010, herniated disc, left side, L5-S1. Short story - discectomy worked great. Until it did not and I blew it out again, same side, same disc, four years later.. Discectomy again, but with all the scar tissue, it did not work out as well as the first time. So, I have good days and bad days, I don't pick up anything more than 60 lbs. without help and stay very aware of body mechanics. Losing weight and exercise also helps - that comes with my job (I'm a plasterer). I also have learned that the worst thing I can do is sit around, so staying active is a must. I know you already have a surgeon but I have to give a shout out to the surgeon that worked on me first - Dr. Musante at Triangle Orthopedics (Raleigh/Durham area). I wish you good luck. Unless someone has been thru this, they can't imagine the pain. I was in a wheelchair three months after my first injury and was real lucky to get 3 to 4 hours asleep a night. That much constant pain just ruins your life. The shots are a joke, I had 2 at $3500 a piece (no insurance) and they did not last and barely took the edge off. Hope this works out for you.
Thunder Thief
Fri May 03, 2019 2:11 pm quote
thank you for the replies. At this point, any reduction in pain would be welcome.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm quote
Dear Frog,

Just a nod of empathy with your pain. I'm just coming off of two weeks of pulled torso muscles. Stabs of pain if I tried to do anything. I've also had in the past a viral infection which resulted in continuous back pain.

I'm just curious if you have as I seemed to have, taught yourself not to sneeze. Sounds dumb but I go through all the motions except the sudden exhale.

Best wishes for a future wit no pain.
Thunder Thief
Fri May 03, 2019 11:17 pm quote
I feel your pain man. My back issue is more structural vs muscular. With any bending, or twisting motion, I get a seering hot pain in my lower back. If I overdo it, my sciatic acts up too. I basically operate like an old person, careful and slow at everything I do. Asking for help with stuff etc. I hope after my surgery I can feel a bit more vibrant and active because this crap pain after 15 years has wore me down.
waspmike wrote:
Dear Frog,

Just a nod of empathy with your pain. I'm just coming off of two weeks of pulled torso muscles. Stabs of pain if I tried to do anything. I've also had in the past a viral infection which resulted in continuous back pain.

I'm just curious if you have as I seemed to have, taught yourself not to sneeze. Sounds dumb but I go through all the motions except the sudden exhale.

Best wishes for a future wit no pain.
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Sat May 04, 2019 12:00 am quote
waspmike is absolutely spot on with his advice.

Sneezing was, and is, the worst thing that I can do when my back is really bad. The consultant told me back in 1982 that it is the most violent action that goes on inside of us.

I too have taught myself not to sneeze in the normal way if I can help it. On the occasions that it does come out naturally I am immediately in excruciating pain.

I don't usually swear but at that point I can rattle off more swear words than most do in a lifetime.

Just remember you are not alone. Anyone who has experienced real back combined with leg pain caused by sciatica will know exactly what you are going through.

Over the years I have had:

1. 1978 a week's stay in hospital on traction with weights attached on pulleys to try and stretch me.

2. Chiropatic treatment

3. Acupuncture

4. Physiotherapy

Regrettably, none of those excellent therapies worked for me.

This man saved me in 2004 and I am hoping that he will take another look at me.

https://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/consultants/maurice-peacock-paterson

If you need someone to let off steam with if you're having a bad day feel free to message me.

somerset
Ossessionato
Sat May 04, 2019 7:15 am quote
A few more thoughts: After spending a horrific amount of money on my back, I learned a few things. Going to a chiropractor is all well and fine, but if the injury lasts more than six weeks, it ain't going away. X-rays are a starting point, and useful for chiro work, but they don't really show any kind of detail when it comes to nerves, discs, etc. The MRI and the person reading the same, makes the difference. There is no hiding injuries with an MRI.
Also, as I mentioned before, meds and shots are a joke. They will tell you need a series of three shots, so many weeks apart, to really alleviate the pain. This is ok on a temporary injury which would only last, maybe, a few weeks. But doesn't fix anything that is more permanent. This is usually the next step with or after chiro treatments, but the $10k it will cost is better spent on an MRI. I can understand doing anything to want to get rid of the pain. And that's why these pain centers are in business. But I'll never go back to one.
Anyhow you are having this surgery, so I guess your disc or discs must be really messed up to go to fusion. If mine fails again, they told me that is what I will be getting. Only other option is a disc replacement and you have to be really careful to go to the right surgeon or you will wind up in worse shape.
I'll finish up by giving you the advice that was given to me: Lose weight, quit smoking and stay active. The less pressure on your spine the better. Building up your core muscles is a must. Sitting more than 20 minutes at a time is out. I frequently set a timer when I do sit to watch TV or read a book. After 20 minutes, I more around some, it helps. I never smoked, so I did not have to give it up. I quit eating all red meat, dairy products and sugar as part of my diet and it helped a lot. And I'm sure your doc told you that the bottom disc (L5S1) takes the most pressure. So when fusion comes in, the pressure just moves farther up. All the more reason for exercise and losing weight.
I'l be hoping and praying that this goes well for you. No one can understand nerve pain unless they have gone through it. Muscle and ligament tears are nothing compared to it. I described my pain, which was fairly constant, as being cut with a red hot knife up my leg and the being stabbed in the lower back with the same knife and then twisted in for good measure. It ruins any quality of life you may have. And I want you to get your life back. You are probably in for at least six weeks of healing, then some PT work. But you'll get there. Please come back to let us know how this goes. If there is anything I can do for your, please do not hesitate to ask. PM me if you prefer and I'll get back to you.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Sat May 04, 2019 10:06 am quote
I had the surgery 20 years ago. Mine was high up in my neck so its probably different from a lower back operation. Was able to drive (with difficulty) home from the hospital after a week. Much better feeling now although I do have some restricted mobility these days.
Hope it all goes well, good to hear from you.
Thunder Thief
Sat May 04, 2019 10:24 am quote
I feel ya. I cant count how many injections I have had both cortisone and blocks. Neither lasted more than 2-3 weeks. Another doctor handed me a bottle of muscle relaxers and pain meds, another suggested I do physical therapy (about 10 years ago) and I did the round of 6, my back was many many times worse than when I started. I just got to the point where I was suffering with it and somehow managing. I have heard that lose weight argument but I have gained and lost and gained close to a 100 pounds in the span of 15+ years, my back hurts the same either way. Honestly, it probably hurt worse when I was thin because I was trying to be active and do yoga and such. I dont trust chiropractors to deal with my issue. I have stretched and done yoga and it makes it worse. My back has me wince with pain and jump away from anyone who rubs that area. My discs are just kinda fizzled out and my vertebrae are squinched down on the left side, where the facet joint area is. Resulting in compression of the nerve root coming out of that foramen. It is kinda like having the tower of Pisa in my back, going wonky to one side and then leaning back and twisting to compensate. What the neurosurgeon will do is place a spacer thing in those disc spaces, put the bone growth crap in there too, and then put the screws and bars on the outside to hold it still. By doing that, he opens up that disc space again relieving the constant pressure on my nerve roots out the left side. I get the surgery done May 20th and hopefully will be riding end of July into August before the fall semester starts.

You are so right describing nerve pain. It is a hot searing feeling combined with that oh so pleasant whacking your funny bone sensation sprinkled in. I know I am young for this surgery, but I really dont want to wait until I cant pick up my foot or become incontinent from nerve damage.
Tierney wrote:
A few more thoughts: After spending a horrific amount of money on my back, I learned a few things. Going to a chiropractor is all well and fine, but if the injury lasts more than six weeks, it ain't going away. X-rays are a starting point, and useful for chiro work, but they don't really show any kind of detail when it comes to nerves, discs, etc. The MRI and the person reading the same, makes the difference. There is no hiding injuries with an MRI.
Also, as I mentioned before, meds and shots are a joke. They will tell you need a series of three shots, so many weeks apart, to really alleviate the pain. This is ok on a temporary injury which would only last, maybe, a few weeks. But doesn't fix anything that is more permanent. This is usually the next step with or after chiro treatments, but the $10k it will cost is better spent on an MRI. I can understand doing anything to want to get rid of the pain. And that's why these pain centers are in business. But I'll never go back to one.
Anyhow you are having this surgery, so I guess your disc or discs must be really messed up to go to fusion. If mine fails again, they told me that is what I will be getting. Only other option is a disc replacement and you have to be really careful to go to the right surgeon or you will wind up in worse shape.
I'll finish up by giving you the advice that was given to me: Lose weight, quit smoking and stay active. The less pressure on your spine the better. Building up your core muscles is a must. Sitting more than 20 minutes at a time is out. I frequently set a timer when I do sit to watch TV or read a book. After 20 minutes, I more around some, it helps. I never smoked, so I did not have to give it up. I quit eating all red meat, dairy products and sugar as part of my diet and it helped a lot. And I'm sure your doc told you that the bottom disc (L5S1) takes the most pressure. So when fusion comes in, the pressure just moves farther up. All the more reason for exercise and losing weight.
I'l be hoping and praying that this goes well for you. No one can understand nerve pain unless they have gone through it. Muscle and ligament tears are nothing compared to it. I described my pain, which was fairly constant, as being cut with a red hot knife up my leg and the being stabbed in the lower back with the same knife and then twisted in for good measure. It ruins any quality of life you may have. And I want you to get your life back. You are probably in for at least six weeks of healing, then some PT work. But you'll get there. Please come back to let us know how this goes. If there is anything I can do for your, please do not hesitate to ask. PM me if you prefer and I'll get back to you.
Thunder Thief
Sat May 04, 2019 10:27 am quote
I am glad yours went so well. I am dealing with the restricted mobility now as it is with my janky back. We just moved and I couldn't do much because of my stupid back issues. It is good to hear from you too
ashbrook wrote:
I had the surgery 20 years ago. Mine was high up in my neck so its probably different from a lower back operation. Was able to drive (with difficulty) home from the hospital after a week. Much better feeling now although I do have some restricted mobility these days.
Hope it all goes well, good to hear from you.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sat May 04, 2019 12:29 pm quote
As we all know each of us is a quite unique situation, thus all comments are unique. My back doc said don't do it till you have no other choice. My back MRI is 3 pages long. He's the expert/main back guy @ U of KY until a new one came along last year from Vandy that he enticed to replace himself. Since my hips were replaced I've had zero sciatica after 8 mainline episodes over a several year period. I did the epidurals 3 times hoping sciatica would abate. My spine became better aligned as a result of THR's-it's that simple.
My "magic cure" for now.
My other cure was a front end loader to handle logs and lumber.
My next "cure" needs to be a human that helps me do this farm work!
I am still looking!

Yes I have daily, nightly, 24/7 back pain, some days more than others. Stay busy, do yoga, philates and a few McKenzie's, no fusion for now, knock on wood. What I'm doing right this second bothers me more than bicycles, farm work, etc..
Molto Verboso
Sat May 04, 2019 12:34 pm quote
As we all know each of us is a quite unique situation, thus all comments are unique. My back doc said don't do it till you have no other choice. My back MRI is 3 pages long. He's the expert/main back guy @ U of KY until a new one came along last year from Vandy that he enticed to replace himself. Since my hips were replaced I've had zero sciatica after 8 mainline episodes over a several year period. I did the epidurals 3 times hoping sciatica would abate. My spine became better aligned as a result of THR's-it's that simple.
My "magic cure" for now.
My other cure was a front end loader to handle logs and lumber.
My next "cure" needs to be a human that helps me do this farm work!
I am still looking!

Yes I have daily, nightly, 24/7 back pain, some days more than others. Stay busy, do yoga, philates and a few McKenzie's, no fusion for now, knock on wood. What I'm doing right this second bothers me more than bicycles, farm work, etc..
Good luck with the surgery. I used to vocational rehab evaluations and have seen most every sort of back trauma/repair this side of still in the hospital. Some could no ,longer drive cars or cook meals for themselves. Sad indeed. Lawyers (administrative law judge) would give them $90 weekly and send them to me to see what new career was best for people NOBODY! on earth would hire for paid work. Really sad cases some times.
I still remember years later this guy trying to talk to me while pushing the remote button on his implanted spine pain killer device.
When I lose bowel control, no ,longer able to live my lifestyle, then I'll go back for a new eval.
Hooked
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
Sat May 04, 2019 2:45 pm quote
My my, I am always surprised what issues are being discussed on this SCOOTER themed forum. Apparently now we are into medical advice! Well, let me add my two cents worth:
I have suffered from a painful back all my life, since cracking my spine while playing rugby at school. Over the past sixty years I have tried everything, seen several expensive spine specialists, chiropractors and physiotherapists, had every treatment known to man, including six spinal injections, considered spinal fusion and laminectomy, all to no avail.
Then, one fine day I was googling spinal pain relief and came across the 'ladder of pain'.
Apparently there are three rungs: one involves over-the-counter analgesics like aspirin and iboprufen etc, the second is a combination of NSAIDS like Celebrex plus Panadol, and the third involves opiates.
I decided to go with the second rung, involving a combination of Celebrex and PanaMax. You know what, I have been pain free ever since! Incredibly, no one, not one of the 'experts or 'specialists' ever suggested this remedy.
By the way, the conventional wisdom against chronic back pain here is: stay away from surgery. Instead exercise, lose weight and keep moving. At age 78 I now go to the gym every day and, most importantly, ride my scooter around the place as often as the weather permits.

Last edited by Breitie on Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
2016 GTS 300
Sat May 04, 2019 6:00 pm quote
Hi froggie, I had a herniated L4-L5 disc with severe sciatica back in 2001. I declined surgery and other interventions, and started aquarobics. You can exercise as gently as necessary in the pool, with the buoyancy of the water taking the weight off your injured disc. My back improved over a few months, and I actually continued the aquarobics for years afterwards (in a pool class) because it was such good exercise, especially for the core muscles. You need to be in a deep pool (2 metres) with a flotation aid, not a shallow pool that you can walk in. Maybe consider trying this after your surgery?
Cheers. - Jim.
Ossessionato
Sat May 04, 2019 6:12 pm quote
Jim in NZ wrote:
Hi froggie, I had a herniated L4-L5 disc with severe sciatica back in 2001. I declined surgery and other interventions, and started aquarobics. You can exercise as gently as necessary in the pool, with the buoyancy of the water taking the weight off your injured disc. My back improved over a few months, and I actually continued the aquarobics for years afterwards (in a pool class) because it was such good exercise, especially for the core muscles. You need to be in a deep pool (2 metres) with a flotation aid, not a shallow pool that you can walk in. Maybe consider trying this after your surgery?
Cheers. - Jim.
I heartily concur with the in pool exercise.
Thunder Thief
Sun May 05, 2019 12:44 am quote
I wish pool was an option. I live about 40 miles outside of the closest bigger urban area. It would be a nice option though if realistically available for me.
Molto Verboso
Sun May 05, 2019 3:42 am quote
Rural livers don't have pools unless deep pocket personal versions.
Panadol we don't use much in USA but I'll add that it's not an anti-inflammatory nor an NSAID, like ibuprofen which is taken like candy by many in the USA. I do a pre-cautionary renal panel blood test to hopefully avoid kidney issues.
Opoids need discussion in a serious way here and anywhere, that I agree with.
It is, however, a very touchy subject to throw out capriciously ( "killed ourselves in droves") as it has killed people in many families, most likely someone here is touched by this drug.
Chinese Fentanyl is the danger drug of past few years. 60 Minutes TV did an interesting segment last week on the Chinese mailing it directly into the USA given our US Mail has poor monitoring. Also commonly comes in through the Mexican border as yet another cartel money maker.
An aging scooter riding reality makes for more vibrant medical concerns. I'm pretty healthy at 75 but still requires an annual cardiologist, dermatologist and orthpedic visits along with a family doc to renew my meds. Meanwhile I do much other stuff in larger quantities than many younger people.
It's pretty simple, we live in a time where there are medical solutions along with lifestyle choices that help us avoid doc visits & talk too.
Ossessionato
Sun May 05, 2019 11:11 am quote
[quote="froggieposition"] I know I am young for this surgery, but I really dont want to wait until I cant pick up my foot or become incontinent from nerve damage.

You are not too young. You need this done and once you heal up, you'll : (1)wish you could have had it done it sooner, (2) get back to living again and (3) get back to riding. Then you also be able to help others that have the same problem that you understand all too well and will be able to help them out. Which, I think, is why we are all here.
Hooked
BV 350
Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 am quote
Yep
Had fusion in my late 30's. Went back to riding in my '40s, with tenderness when hitting bumps. Only started working out seriously about 5 years ago, in my 60's, mostly focusing on core strength. Has helped tremendously with bump tolerance. Weights, walking, and swimming seem to do the trick. Helps with the weight issue as well. Had fallen into the "annual five pounds" trap for a few years in my 50's, and I've started to gradually reduce that. Seems like a substantial overhang over the belt buckle puts a lot of strain on the back.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 am quote
Sorry to hear of your pain-filled lives.
South Africa has recently legislated use of medicinal marijuana and the oil extract form has had very good results with patients in similar conditions.

PS - They have also de-criminalized marijuana grown for own personal consumption.
"Grown your own" is becoming quite a social fad as curious amateurs try to master the intricacies of growing a most fickle plant from seed.
Molto Verboso
Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm quote
CBD- I know little about the stuff but read an article today how this Texas lady got arrested for selling it in her little convenience store.
Then later today I saw it on a sticker on my small town pharmacy door.
When I lived in my native state Kansas the roadside ditches were full of marijuana-actually was hemp that had gone wild from the time around WWII when it was a cash crop. They grew it here in KY too but I've never seen any in a roadside ditch, etc. here? Very little THC in hemp I'm talking about but still not something you want to be found holding.
Thunder Thief
Wed May 08, 2019 8:09 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Sorry to hear of your pain-filled lives.
South Africa has recently legislated use of medicinal marijuana and the oil extract form has had very good results with patients in similar conditions.

PS - They have also de-criminalized marijuana grown for own personal consumption.
"Grown your own" is becoming quite a social fad as curious amateurs try to master the intricacies of growing a most fickle plant from seed.
I wish that were an option too. The state I live in, even medical is illegal. One state over, its legal recreationally. The US is super screwed up when it comes to THC laws. I support peoples use of cannabis for whatever use they desire, but I cant partake since I am going into nursing. I have too much time and schooling invested, more to come, to risk losing it all with a positive drug test
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am quote
Simmer Down Now - Bad Backs
With all our bad backs, this tread topic could go on forever.

I also could not appreciate back problems until mine went bad. My sincere empathy for those who suffer.

I did find it informative about sneezing/coughing causing great pain with back and muscle back problems. I thought I was the only one who experienced this. My upper back went out from snow shoveling (age 70). All my life I have, I admit, obnoxiously real boomed out sneezes. With the recently hurt upper back, I blasted out a sneeze. Almost had to go to the hospital emergency.

Best to everyone.

Bob C
Minnesota
Thunder Thief
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 am quote
Well the surgery went well. The first week was rather rough as to be expected, then the pain lessened to a tolerable level. I think the hardest part of this recovery is sticking to the no bending, no twisting and no lifting heavy stuff rules. Currently 3 weeks out, my pain is less than before I had the surgery. Oddly enough, I gained about 3/4 of an inch of height with the intervertebral spacers he put in.

I thought I was doing pretty well a few days ago then I sneezed. LOL two steps forward one sneeze back.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:08 pm quote
Heal Well
Froggie,

Sorry you have to go through this painful experience. Best to
you.

Bob C
Minnesota
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:11 pm quote
froggieposition wrote:
Well the surgery went well. The first week was rather rough as to be expected, then the pain lessened to a tolerable level.
Good to hear that you are on the road back from the procedure. Now I am waiting for that "up on the scooter" report.
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 pm quote
Oh Yeaaah! Glad you got that done. As you already found out, there will be a few set backs (I ripped my stitches 2 days after surgery). I can't tell you how great this is knowing that you be sooo much better off. Then you can start living again! Keep posting to let us know of your progress.
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:47 pm quote
Frog,

How about a corset when you ride? No one will see it under the gear.

I remember reading that sport bike posture is better than sit-up-and-beg Harley style as in the Hog position the spine is straight and has less ability to absorb the energy from bumps.
Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 pm quote
Wow, I never knew there were so many OTHER people riding Vespas AND having had spinal fusion surgeries!! Especially since the first time I had my surgery, I was told, pre-op, that I would ďnever be allowed to ride a motorcycle.Ē That was all the way back in 1994, and I was devastated then, as a 13 year old girl.

This just made me feel a million times better about riding, and buying a BV this past weekend. P.S. My mother can still NEVER KNOW.

As for pain... My surgery was years ago, but I actually didnít have pain then, the pain came years later, but my hardware also broke between T5 and T6. Nevertheless, itís been broken since 1996, apparently. But aside from some major pain once or twice a year when it goes out, Iím great. I say if the surgery can reduce your pain by even 40%, is that not worth it? Iím mildly uncomfortable most of the time, but you acclimate and it cancels itself out in a way. But YOUR surgery is modern, new, and lightyears ahead of what they offered me in 1994. I honestly canít believe there are so many of us on this site. This just made my week! Thanks, guys!
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:36 pm quote
froggieposition wrote:
I wish that were an option too. The state I live in, even medical is illegal. One state over, its legal recreationally. The US is super screwed up when it comes to THC laws. I support peoples use of cannabis for whatever use they desire, but I cant partake since I am going into nursing. I have too much time and schooling invested, more to come, to risk losing it all with a positive drug test
The tobacco and alcohol industries don't want cannabis to get into use like their product.
Tobacco causes cancer and the social effects of alcohol are far more detrimental to health than THC.
Most of the people I know that still smoke are...
medical staff - and they drink heavily !
They don't lose their jobs because of their lifestyle.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4831s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1046s) ][ Debug on ]