Tank removal necessary for PX rear shock change ?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
PX150E
Sat May 11, 2019 4:16 am quote
I know, sounds like whining, but tank removal is one of those jobs I am really sick of doing on my PX150.
Can you just use 2 wrenches and remove/replace the shock from its spacer above ?

Anyone tried that yet?

TIA
Enthusiast
Molested & Abused 2003 Stella 2T
Sat May 11, 2019 5:37 am quote
Can't you access the nut from the inside of the frame just by pulling the tank up a bit (without taking it all the way out)?
Enthusiast
PX150E
Sat May 11, 2019 5:50 am quote
yackee wrote:
Can't you access the nut from the inside of the frame just by pulling the tank up a bit (without taking it all the way out)?
I doubt it. The last time I changed the shock, the top shock nut inside the frame was way back there.

I am thinking that holding the spacer while unscrewing the shock (once detached from lower mount) might do it.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Sat May 11, 2019 6:29 am quote
You could, in theory, do it without pulling the tank, but only if the shock comes out of the mount buffer without issues.
Molto Verboso
Wrecked '61 VNB
Sat May 11, 2019 11:27 am quote
Just pull the damn tank.
Addicted
P125X, P200E
Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm quote
I did this on my P200 last month and even with the tank out and resting on the frame, it was a damned difficult job. There is very little room to manipulate your hands, but that's probably still the best way to do it.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 am quote
Fatbear5 wrote:
I did this on my P200 last month and even with the tank out and resting on the frame, it was a damned difficult job. There is very little room to manipulate your hands, but that's probably still the best way to do it.
Well, I did a "dry run" this morning. The shock can be accessed on top with either 2 open ended 14mm wrenches or one wrench and a 14mm crow foot attached to 3/8" Drive extensions and ratchet. However, I am thinking that after 34 years, it would be a good idea to also replace the rubber block mount above the shock, as well; doing this will necessitate the tank removal, anyway.

My rubber block seems to be in perfect condition, but I might as well replace it, as the rubber deteriorates with age.
I will also replace the front shock and rubber spacers as well for a complete fresh suspension.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Sun May 12, 2019 6:35 am quote
Fatbear5 wrote:
Well, I did a "dry run" this morning. The shock can be accessed on top with either 2 open ended 14mm wrenches or one wrench and a 14mm crow foot attached to 3/8" Drive extensions and ratchet. However, I am thinking that after 34 years, it would be a good idea to also replace the rubber block mount above the shock, as well; doing this will necessitate the tank removal, anyway.

My rubber block seems to be in perfect condition, but I might as well replace it, as the rubber deteriorates with age.
I will also replace the front shock and rubber spacers as well for a complete fresh suspension.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2963s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1964s) ][ Debug on ]