Does MV have cyber bullys
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12345Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed May 29, 2019 3:37 am quote
fleece wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Well don't I feel special now. Not sure if I was just bullied or not though? Not really sure why I got picked in here but oh well.
no need to worry, the OP was talking about Harbenger.. he was a right pain in the ass
breaknwind wrote:
I don't like Harbenger
Ah! You're right that guy was a royal PITA. Wonder where he is now?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
fleece wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Well don't I feel special now. Not sure if I was just bullied or not though? Not really sure why I got picked in here but oh well.
no need to worry, the OP was talking about Harbenger.. he was a right pain in the ass
breaknwind wrote:
I don't like Harbenger
I think I heard he moved somewhere up Nort, eh.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Wed May 29, 2019 3:47 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
fleece wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
I don't like Harbenger
It was Harbunger who worried me.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed May 29, 2019 4:04 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Cyberbullies don't survive long on MV. They always run afoul of the posting guidelines and then either fall away themselves or get banned.

But there was one member when I first joined MV that I felt did get cyberbullied. Seemed like many dissed and despised him for some reason. And then he got banned. I always wondered if he was treated like that in the real world. I never had a problem with his posts. Maybe I just didn't read the offending ones. But he was a unique case.

Overall tho, there are lot of really nice and very helpful people on MV.
Did he ride a yellow scooter with a milk carton on the back with a lawn chair hanging from it?
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Wed May 29, 2019 4:07 am quote
Plus
Yard Sale.

You're welcome.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 29, 2019 4:27 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
fleece wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
I don't like Harbenger
You hoser, take off eh? we're all polite up here. Step in our toe and we'll say sorry to you. Actually we do say sorry and thank you for everything, it's really just an automated response drilled in to our heads at a young age. It's kind of funny if you go to a big Canadian city and listen for it and I will admit I am also guilty of it. When I lived in the states my friends made fun of me all the time because of my "Canadianisms". At least the girls thought it was cute.
eeee-bip
Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 am quote
Upper
Can I just say a well done to all of us for keeping the intercourse civil and not turn into a total bitch session.

I salute you.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 29, 2019 4:40 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Can I just say a well done to all of us for keeping the intercourse civil and not turn into a total bitch session.

I salute you.

Bill x
I did call Sully a hoser. I apologize for such crass rudeness. Here's to us all keeping our sticks on the ice and our heads up.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Wed May 29, 2019 4:50 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

I salute you.

Bill x
I did call Sully a hoser. I apologize for such crass rudeness. Here's to us all keeping our sticks on the ice and our heads up.
But I do love a good ol' time physical hockey game.. on that note. Bruins are some good ol' time hockey right now! SWEEP IN 4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3gWv1nmr7w
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Wed May 29, 2019 6:48 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Cyberbullies don't survive long on MV. They always run afoul of the posting guidelines and then either fall away themselves or get banned.

But there was one member when I first joined MV that I felt did get cyberbullied. Seemed like many dissed and despised him for some reason. And then he got banned. I always wondered if he was treated like that in the real world. I never had a problem with his posts. Maybe I just didn't read the offending ones. But he was a unique case.

Did he ride a yellow scooter with a milk carton on the back with a lawn chair hanging from it?
Yup, YS. His name still comes up occasionally in infamy, even tho he was banned 8 or 9 years ago.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed May 29, 2019 7:07 am quote
Re: Pulse
Harbinger wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
I've been here for over 10 years so does that make me a member ?

Bill x
Well I didn't vote for you

(bonus points for anyone that gets the Monty Python reference) .
Too easy, that's from the Brian's life

Do the bonus points increase the number of my roundels, or....
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
Iím aware that on most threads I start or posts I put, there are a set few who nearly always chime in to say the opposite or derail my threads.
They have no real interest in the subject as their responses are there to usually alter the original meaning.
Not going to name them, but I can literally hit return and wait for them to chime in.

I just assume itís an old boys club and being a young whipper snapper with only 2 years membership I havenít been accepted by the few elite.

But on the whole the other 99% are wonderful people.
It's the picture of the motorcycle that does it.

JK...I don't think time on this board has any bearing on whether or not your posts are accepted or declined. TBH, Jet Peddler showed up not too long ago and he likes to make sure every thread here has his input...and nobody seems to mind.
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
eeee-bip
Wed May 29, 2019 7:48 am quote
Ask
Which begs a question.

Actually, don't say it because if you speak of the Devil he will appear.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 29, 2019 7:53 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

I salute you.

Bill x
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed May 29, 2019 8:08 am quote
Miguel wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Yup, YS. His name still comes up occasionally in infamy, even tho he was banned 8 or 9 years ago.
He did get a lot of flack but he did have some crazy posts and brought at least some of it on himself. It was before I was a moderator but if I remember right he got banned then came back under another name and was allowed to stay but then squandered that with some posts. I may be wrong but I think his problem was drunk posting.
eeee-bip
Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 am quote
Bonus
I think that he was probably a bit mental as pretty much every post was the same.

He'd ride to the local Gay Bar, smoke a cigar, check out the Twinks ( his words ) and ride home.

I also heard that someone here saw a wrecked yellow GTS with a yellow crate attached laying on its side at a junction a while back.

Who knows.

Bill x
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
don't say it because if you speak of the Devil he will appear.
someone called?
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am quote
I'm too new to know who you guys are talking about but this thread reminds me of my favorite scene in Zoolander. No harm intended.. it's great!

Ironic cause this thread made me think of this scene this morning, then when i was driving to grocery store this song played... And then played again at the grocery store. I think the world is trying to tell me to watch Zoolander today, or maybe to avoid getting gas today..

https://youtu.be/ZnZ2XdqGZWU
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 29, 2019 8:44 am quote
This is what came to mind for me. Good show and worth watching.

Ossessionato
Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:

He did get a lot of flack but he did have some crazy posts and brought at least some of it on himself. It was before I was a moderator but if I remember right he got banned then came back under another name and was allowed to stay but then squandered that with some posts. I may be wrong but I think his problem was drunk posting.
I remember he resurrected himself as another persona (I couldn't remember his new name) but was quickly "rediscovered". I think that's when Jess built in the ability to identify people by their source address to subvert banned members from reincarnating themselves, as well as blocking bots. He did have some crazy posts. Anyway, he seemed to attract a lot of membership and moderator attention.

Hey, don't push on that posting-while-drinking point too hard, ok? 🥂
Miguel
eeee-bip
Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am quote
Such
I sort of had the impression that he was somewhere on the scale because no matter how many warnings he had he just kept posting the same report.

I'm sure that he was a very interesting guy.

Bill x
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Wed May 29, 2019 10:18 am quote
RRider wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x

Actually, it's from The 'Oly Grrraill... "King of the 'Oo??
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am quote
Nautiker wrote:
RRider wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x

Yep

Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed May 29, 2019 11:57 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Nautiker wrote:
RRider wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x

Yep

]
Darn, so close, but no roundels.

Now that I think of it, I got this script mixed with the" committee" meetings and voting in the Brian' s... you know, the one with "this calls for immediate discussion".
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Wed May 29, 2019 12:18 pm quote
Yard Sale was part of our "Local Color".
Addicted

Wed May 29, 2019 1:11 pm quote
My replies to people have been called crude but effective elsewhere. Never had to use any of that here, you people are too easy. Great place. I have known people who could cuss you up, down, sideways, inside and out with such eloquence that you thanked him when he was done.
eeee-bip
Wed May 29, 2019 1:16 pm quote
Arse
Na, I'd just walk off.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed May 29, 2019 3:48 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Wrong or not, every once in a while I find myself searching out banned members and reading their posts. It can be fun to re-constitute the puzzles caused by disemvowelment.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Wed May 29, 2019 3:57 pm quote
Seems like there are always a few,
Best ignored since they feed off blood in the water.
It was a sad day when my teenager explained this thing to me a couple of years ago - after I bought a Dell.

O.S.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Wed May 29, 2019 4:57 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Wrong or not, every once in a while I find myself searching out banned members and reading their posts. It can be fun to re-constitute the puzzles caused by disemvowelment.
You need to get in quick and quote before the vowels get sent to the naughty corner.
Ossessionato
Wed May 29, 2019 5:23 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Miguel wrote:

I went back and read his last 10 or so posts before my initial post about him. For the most part they were ok. Anyway, he has never come back.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Wed May 29, 2019 7:27 pm quote
Every forum has its d-bags.
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Thu May 30, 2019 3:56 am quote
I'm not sure I would call it bullying, exactly. Maybe 'karma abuse' would be a better term.

There are certainly some here who wield karma as a way of expressing their personal biases / prejudices, rather than as a reflection of whether a particular post/poster was helpful or obnoxious.

To be clear, I am a strong proponent of the karma system here on MV. I think it, and to a lesser extent the quiet work of the Mods, is responsible for the fact that MV has never devolved into a troll farm (as other online forums almost inevitably do).

But the karma function - even with its built-in limitations on how often it can be used - is still open to small-scale abuse. People can and do try to game the karma system. A few are caught and punished, but most karma abuse passes under the moderator's radar.

The net result is that, while the level of civility remains admirably high on MV... there are less off-topic (NSR) posts and off-the-cuff banter due to people being worried about opening themselves up to personal vendettas.

In the end, people vote with their feet. I'm still here (albeit I post more judiciously), so I guess that means I accept the current reality.

[shrugs]

Bottom line, we all have our favorite posters (Bill Dog has always been one of mine), as well as those whose posts rub us the wrong way. But I hand out negative karma VERY infrequently, and then only when someone is truly being a douche.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Thu May 30, 2019 4:23 am quote
I do wonder about those that have Negative Bias, does that mean they dislike more than they like on here? Glass half empty maybe?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu May 30, 2019 4:56 am quote
fleece wrote:
I do wonder about those that have Negative Bias, does that mean they dislike more than they like on here? Glass half empty maybe?
Yep, it means they hand out negative bias more than positive. Like many here I almost never use negative karma unless the poster is a total DB in what they have to say. We are a diverse bunch here for sure and when you get so many different types together they are not all going to get along. One thing I've noticed is most of the people that PM me are similar to me in many ways and "get me" while some may not like my occasionally very dry sense of humour. I've also been around the internet a long time and know most of the memes and am comfortable with geek culture and inside jokes. People that are new to BBS type forums can take offence to some things while others will understand it's just joking around and no harm meant.

Keeping politics and some subjects being verboten here goes a long way to adding to the civility. I'm pretty passionate about a few subjects and dislike some political views. I try to tamp that down here and do so for the most part.

Now as to why the OP doesn't like me... I honesty can't even remember why or what for. They obviously do though and it's unfortunate they carry a grudge. I try not to as a general rule in life as I find it does little good and burns too many bridges.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 am quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
But I hand out negative karma VERY infrequently, and then only when someone is truly being a douche.
Many of my favourite posters have passed away. You Trepp are one of my favourites still posting. And I totally agree with you on the point quoted above.
Addicted

Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 am quote
So if i click the thumbs down thing because i disagree wth what was posted, that counts against me for showingmy opinion. If that is the case, that you are punished for disagreeing with someone, thdn i will have to think about continuing on here because that is bassackwards.
eeee-bip
Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 am quote
All
Thank you Treppenwitz, Harbinger, breaknwind and Paddlenround.

I'm touched.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 am quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
So if i click the thumbs down thing because i disagree wth what was posted, that counts against me for showingmy opinion. If that is the case, that you are punished for disagreeing with someone, thdn i will have to think about continuing on here because that is bassackwards.
Why, you show as very good and positive. I think you really have to be heavy handed with the negative karma for it to have an effect. When you think about it there should at least be as many posts you strongly agree with as those you feel the opposite about. Most of us try to be helpful or humorous etc. Very few try to be dicks and those that do should get the point pretty quickly. Yes it isn't the perfect system but still works well. Besides where else in the English speaking world are so many Vespa enthusiasts online in a setting like this?
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12345Next
[ Time: 0.4863s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0471s) ][ Debug on ]