Ideas; What fits into a suitcase & is only from USA ?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:28 am quote
Yip, what can i get brought over from America that dem Germaniums dont have?
Must fit into a suitcase, from New York
Budget; a few hungee
Performance parts... ohh hell yeah! Unless its something unique... who knows.
I like the Boomstick exhaust & the current one has had an almighty thrashing, so EXHAUST is an option.
Cylinder kit sounds nice
Carb possibly (currently using PHBH28, but would like to try something shorter, as it hits size cover & bowl is hard up against cylinder)
Its for Speedy 150 VBC 8" ... so NOT 200cc things.

Cheers

P.S. Nope, not illicits this time!
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 am quote
Re: Ideas; What fits into a suitcase & is only from USA
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Budget; a few hungee
I like the Boomstick exhaust & the current one has had an almighty thrashing, so EXHAUST is an option.
Cylinder kit sounds nice
Carb possibly (currently using PHBH28, but would like to try something shorter, as it hits size cover & bowl is hard up against cylinder)

Cheers

Given that almost all parts come from Europe, I'd say nothing scooter related.. and if there is something it's definitely not from NYC so you are talking about shipping to wherever you are staying in NYC and the associated delivery time.

There are two Vespa dealerships one in Manhattan one in Brooklyn but good luck finding nsm performance parts at them. There is only one nsm repair shop in Brooklyn which is a small space, doubt they carry anything on shelves like that, but you can check. Scooter Bottega.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:58 am quote
I thought the subject was a setup for a joke. I came here for the punchline....

As stated I doubt you will find much on the shelf that you can't get in Germany. In Italy sure, but even a city the size of Manhattan won't have a lot of NSM stuff. Maybe some memorabilia type stuff though.
Addicted
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:50 am quote
Ah - a post I'm actually qualified to help with.

There are a handful of major shops in the US.
Scooter Mercato - Ga.
Scooter West - Ca
Scooter Works - Chicago
Scooter Spped - Ca
Others.

Make up your fave list.
Have em ship to "guest/your name here" with the hotel address before you arrive.
Get tracking number(s) - shipping is cheap in US.
Upon arrival - present info at desk - where they will deny any knowledge of shipment.
Present tracking information.
Boxes will be found and whisked up to your room
Unwrap boxes - admire
Pack suitcase full of goodies.
Use soft duffle you packed to actually drag your clothes back in.
Fire picture of box mayhem and post here.
Leave said boxes for staff to wonder wtf went down in there.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:08 am quote
^ ahahahaha

Let me know if you want a US tractor light mounting bracket and/or one of our funky plastic fuel tap levers.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:25 am quote
And how about a nice set of unique USA blinkers to go w/ the tractor tail lite?

Now Speedy will meet DOT regulations.
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:58 am quote
^ perfect.
Molto Verboso

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:13 am quote
I was going to say a hitchhiker, but that might require two suitcases depending upon how big they are/were.
Enthusiast

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:48 pm quote
Re: Ideas; What fits into a suitcase & is only from USA
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Budget; a few hungee
Cylinder kit sounds nice

Cheers

A suitcase full of those stupid, ugly, plastic American market fuel levers?
I just sold nine of those piece of shit levers to someone in Asia. So get ready for bodges with American fuel levers to fool ya!
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:01 pm quote
A coffee cup holder
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:05 pm quote
plastic fuel lever w/ clever plastic gears
^What's the story on those weak ass POS's? And they need a 'special' valve because they're 'special' . How come USA bikes got them?
Doesn't seem like something DOT would mandate.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:56 pm quote
Re: plastic fuel lever w/ clever plastic gears
V oodoo wrote:
^What's the story on those weak ass POS's? And they need a 'special' valve because they're 'special' . How come USA bikes got them?
Yes, the DOT did mandate along with a lot of other things.

OK, this is my Cliff Claven moment.

Back in the 60's this dude name Ralph Nader was battling GM about how the unsafe the Corvair was. This began safety standardizing cars and down the line to motorcycles in the late 60's and throughout the seventies. Some motorcycles had throttles, brakes, clutch, and gear shifters on different sides. This may have confused riders and caused accidents. The DOT standardized all of this to what we have today. They even standardized the direction of up shifting and down shifting, the location of the kill switch, the distance between turn signals, requiring turn signals, size and height of brake lights.

During that time the fuel petcock on/off switch was changed due to safety standardization. Not sure about the why's but maybe the compete "on" and "off" words had to be on the switch instead of O, C, R. and/or the switch had to turn a different way. Could be a host of things. Not to bring in port inspections that can make a motorcycle manufacture change things on the fly and hold up shipments.
Enthusiast

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:10 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

Back in the 60's this dude name Ralph Nader was battling GM about how the unsafe the Corvair was. This began safety standardizing cars and down the line to motorcycles in the late 60's and throughout the seventies. Some motorcycles had throttles, brakes, clutch, and gear shifters on different sides. This may have confused riders and caused accidents. The DOT standardized all of this to what we have today. They even standardized the direction of up shifting and down shifting, the location of the kill switch, the distance between turn signals, requiring turn signals, size and height of brake lights.

During that time the fuel petcock on/off switch was changed due to safety standardization. Not sure about the why's but maybe the compete "on" and "off" words had to be on the switch instead of O, C, R. and/or the switch had to turn a different way. Could be a host of things. Not to bring in port inspections that can make a motorcycle manufacture change things on the fly and hold up shipments.
Those stupid things create more problems than they ever solved. Frankly I don't think they solved ANY problems. The levers easily snap off if you bump your heel on them, the plastic gears wear out easily, the wording wears off, they don't match any fuel taps currently for sale....and they are ugly as shit.

Anybody who is jonesing for those because of some "originality" fetish is delusional.
Molto Verboso

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:13 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

Back in the 60's this dude name Ralph Nader was battling GM about how the unsafe the Corvair was.
I was at a car show about 10 years ago, and there was a very nice Corvair there. The licence plates on the car read "FUC NDR". Not sure how that plate slipped though DMV cracks.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:01 pm quote
You can get some T-shirts from the local shops that are still around. Mercato, Kyle, Saints Cycle, Gickspeed, Scooter Speed, Scooter West, and etc may have t-shirts, patches and swag you can show off, give away, or barter with when you get home. Also put the word out for rally t-shirts and swag from event organizers. It's a lot of that crap laying around but not worth the cost shipping to Australia.

That stuff would go well in a suitcase hiding the weed and weird pleasure devices you're gonna purchase when you're here. You did say no illicit but you never know when an opportunity for yourself will get presented.

Safe travels!
Addicted
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:58 pm quote
Not Scooter specific.. . . .Pick yourself up some great made in the USA tools. One specifically i use in my shop is made by Milton is a tire inflator with gauge. I think you can buy through Milton but you differently can buy through McMaster Carr.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/index.php/gauges/inflator-gages/inflator-gage-single-head-chuck.html
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm quote
Petcocks huh?
We can't have roosters in suburbia, but anyhow..... what do these petcocks look like?

taillight sounds/seem cool
Ive seen a few similar looking Cheesy oversized indicators

But overall I'm unsure about any of these, as it's highly unlikely I would ever use them, more sell them.

I can't even find a BoomStick, as it looks like Piston-Ported no longer have them.
Ossessionato
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:04 pm quote
What about a 226 exhaust?
I just spotted this BARGAIN ... I didn't know 226 were from there

https://www.scooterwest.com/226-vintage-exhaust-for-the-vespa-gs150-black-226exgs150-bk.html

Yip, its for a GS160, but i wonder if there is a way to make it fit a 2-port VBC1 ?

The CORRECT version may be a smidge out of my budget!

https://www.scooterwest.com/226-h-bomb-lh-125-150cc-exhaust-black-226ex125lh-bk.html

FYI: it's often expensive to get freight from USA to Australia, hence why im trying to take up this opportunity... as far as i know/hear;
there are 3x Boomsticks in Australia, all for PX, all RH pipe, all imported by me...
there are a handful of 226's, only 1 in Victoria...
Therefore both if these exhausts are of interest as they are as unique as a badly designed fuel taps, or the tractor lights (ive seen 1 of them on the 1 Allstate ive ever seen).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:55 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I was going to say a hitchhiker, but that might require two suitcases depending upon how big they are/were.
My personal favourite Post of the Day! Very very funny!
Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm quote
8 inch disc brake front
Fill that bag with mythical 8 inch front disc brakes and make your fortune
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:01 pm quote
Re: 8 inch disc brake front
Bluecati wrote:
This one? You'll need to travel a little further east for that.

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
As stated I doubt you will find much on the shelf that you can't get in Germany. In Italy sure, but even a city the size of Manhattan won't have a lot of NSM stuff. Maybe some memorabilia type stuff though.
But the suitcase is going from NYC to Straya.?
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm quote
You might find good customer service - something that you definitely won't get in Germany.
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 am quote
When looking for my PWK 35, the US sellers had really good prices on big carbs, but the shipping and import duties were prohibitive.
Hooked
Looking
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 am quote
What fits into a suitcase & is only from USA?

Jimmy Hoffa?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:33 pm quote
swa45 wrote:
When looking for my PWK 35, the US sellers had really good prices on big carbs, but the shipping and import duties were prohibitive.
Yep. I bought a few needles from JetsRus and I think the needles were like $5 each... by the time it arrived they had set me back about $90.
Hooked
bare metal cafe racer
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:23 am quote
These are made in the USA... And would fit in your suitcase. But need to check how much Li power the airline will be ok with.

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

Ossessionato
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:17 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
Bluecati wrote:
This one? You'll need to travel a little further east for that.

Bluecati;They don't even make cars with brakes (nor real handling, suspension & steering) in America, as there are only straight roads, unlike Coromandel

Ginchi;
Now we knowwhat it looks like, we need to obtain one & send it to Ebeth for duplication
Hooked
2001 LML 150
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:01 am quote
A rear brake for speedy?
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:30 am
NotAutomatic has been ejected from this topic
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:31 am
NotAutomatic has been ejected from this topic
Ossessionato
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:40 am quote
Philos wrote:
A rear brake for speedy?
What do they do?
I only use the foot pedal to make the brakelight come on
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:47 pm quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Ginchi;
Now we know what it looks like, we need to obtain one & send it to Ebeth for duplication
Think you got excited the first time you saw it... however it's made to fit a closed type wheel - VBB style - so wasn't sure you'd want that. I see Dee Princi has bout the 10" version, will be interested to see the quality in the flesh.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86 and a not so normal pts100 '82
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:10 am quote
Yup its a close wheel, so have to make the wheel and hub by machine, i know how it work but got no machine tools, why didnt u take me inside the bag, maybe i can find a job in ur place
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:56 pm quote
koenig blues wrote:
Yup its a close wheel, so have to make the wheel and hub by machine, i know how it work but got no machine tools, why didnt u take me inside the bag, maybe i can find a job in ur place
I'm pretty sure you aregoing to have to get a bigger place to live after your local World Vespa Day... there's going to be a LOT of excess baggage coming your way! I've got a stack of Scootering Magazines for starters.
64 Allstate 62 Vbb 64 Li 77 Et3
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am quote
We make really good hot sauce.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2008s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0606s) ][ Debug on ]