Phone Holder
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:55 pm quote
I've seen a couple of different phone holders for Vespas, clamped either to a mirror or the handlebar. I know they're pretty commonly used. I'm still curious, has anyone had any phone damage due to vibration?
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:55 pm quote
I've had my RAM X-Mount for about a year - no issue with the phone (as of now).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm quote
Nope....only a couple thousand miles in. Did find that the rubber retaining band helped my screen protector develop a couple of cracks, but no big deal....that's replaceable.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 pm quote
I have RAM mounts on both of my mirrors, one for my coffee cup the other for my iPhone. I use the coffee cup a lot and occ use the iPhone holder as most of the time i know where I am going and do not need the GPS. When I use the GPS on the iPhone and use the iPhone holder, likely do to my paranoia, I also put 2 rubber bands to have an extra hold on the iPhone. Likely not needed but I have read a blog or two where people had their iPhone fall out of the holders. I have never had an issue but as I do tend to be a belt and suspenders type person I will continue to use the rubber bands but I think the iPhone holder is secure. I have the universal holder which will hold almost any size phone. Hope this helps, if you need pics let me know.

larry
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, (Both NZ new Airco assembled), Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:12 am quote
I use a Ram mount with an iPhone 8 and use the rubber retainer. I mount the phone sideways so the X arms are under and over the phone. Only once have I had a hint of the phone moving out and that was before I had the retainer. I was on a very rough gravel road that was being used by logging trucks during the week. I saw it before it happened and just put it central again.
Hooked
1974 Vespa Primavera 125, 1980 Bajaj Chetak
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:11 am quote
RAM mounts are A+++++ but you need to use the rubber strap! It will vibrate a lot while you're idling but once you get moving they're fine.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:40 am quote
Thank you all! The Ram Mounts sound like the way to go. I'll give it a try.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm quote
so what is the rubber retainer?
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:34 pm quote
My Ram x-mount has been awesome! you can get theses silicone holders that clamp on from the rear and secure the phone at the corners.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:25 pm quote
perhaps I am stupid but i do not find those extra holders, any more info?

larry
Enthusiast
2018 300 GTS Super
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:25 pm quote
Deleted

Last edited by Sky Fort on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 pm quote
LarryMK wrote:

larry
The rubber piece that fits over the corners of the phone came with the RAM X-Mount.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:22 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
LarryMK wrote:

larry
The rubber piece that fits over the corners of the phone came with the RAM X-Mount.
They can be purchased separately:
https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/communication-cameras/cameras/ram-mount-x-grip-tether/p/53954
Lurker
Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:41 pm quote
Phone mount
I have used Quad-Lock Mirror Mount for over a year with no problems. No vibration, no slipping.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:13 pm quote
When I ride, the phone must just ring away merrily in my pocket.
My mind is needed to be focused on what I am doing.

The first time I rigged a setup to speak while riding, it was with a plug-in earphone and microphone set that attached by Velcro to the helmet inner.
The phone was set up to answer automatically... and that is exactly the problem.

I was on a well-earned vacation. I was riding a fairly tricky mountain pass with misty conditions and no safe stopping or run-off places. Just then my supervisor from work phoned with some urgent, unimportant matter that he just HAD to discuss with me immediately. The phone reception was patchy and his call kept dropping - which he interpreted as me hanging up on him. Then he would call back to demand why I was being so rude and argumentative? Despite my requests for him to hang up and let me call back when reception and road conditions made it safe for me to do so, he just kept calling back repeatedly...

As the only person I wanted to be available to speak to was my wife at home.
So at the first possible safe opportunity, I pulled over and pulled the plug.
That was the last time I ever took a call while riding!

(PS - On my return to work, my supervisor had lodged a formal complaint to his supervisor. In my formal written response, I pointed out the Department's own regulations published under legislation prohibiting use of devices while driving. In the end, the supervisor was given a written warning for ignoring my request to call back when safe. He resigned weeks later when our internal audit started verifying the qualifications he had claimed when interviewing for the post. It turned out to be a case of identity theft and fraud. Perhaps he should not have called me while riding...?)
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:
(PS - On my return to work, my supervisor had lodged a formal complaint to his supervisor. In my formal written response, I pointed out the Department's own regulations published under legislation prohibiting use of devices while driving. In the end, the supervisor was given a written warning for ignoring my request to call back when safe. He resigned weeks later when our internal audit started verifying the qualifications he had claimed when interviewing for the post. It turned out to be a case of identity theft and fraud. Perhaps he should not have called me while riding...?)
Thats such a beautiful story, it deserves to be the lead item in a thread about NSR Nasty Bosses.
Betcha glad you've retired and don't have to put up with that type of crap anymore.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:31 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
LarryMK wrote:

larry
They can be purchased separately:
https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/communication-cameras/cameras/ram-mount-x-grip-tether/p/53954
thanks ordered it. I have had my mount for quite a long time and it did not come with the tether so I used rubber bands to do the same thing but this will be better, thanks.

Larry
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:44 pm quote
Iíve been using the RAM X-mount for my iPhones for six years without the silicon retainer band with no issues whatsoever.
Enthusiast
2019 Primavera 150 Touring
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:28 pm quote
I am using the quad lock as well only when I need to navigate.
Hooked
1974 Vespa Primavera 125, 1980 Bajaj Chetak
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:01 am quote
David Masse wrote:
Iíve been using the RAM X-mount for my iPhones for six years without the silicon retainer band with no issues whatsoever.
My phone has fallen out before! Luckily, it landed on the floorboard. I also have a friend who rides a motorcycle whose phone has fallen out before on the highway. Luckily he was able to circle around and recover it. It's a pain to put it on, but I've found it to be less of a pain than having to buy a new phone.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 am quote
Bazziemoto wrote:
David Masse wrote:
My phone has fallen out before! Luckily, it landed on the floorboard. I also have a friend who rides a motorcycle whose phone has fallen out before on the highway. Luckily he was able to circle around and recover it. It's a pain to put it on, but I've found it to be less of a pain than having to buy a new phone.
In my case I have a simple protective case that has grippy edges plus an indent to expose the silence switch which combined donít allow the phone to budge in the X-mount.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:08 pm quote
just got the RAM mount tether for the x mount. I have not taken it on the road but just trying it in the garage it looks very sturdy, certainly better then the rubber bands I was using, thanks for that tip

larry
Lurker
Vespa GTS250
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 am quote
My Two Cents and a question
I searched on "quad lock" to find just such a discussion.

I have been using a mirror mounted RAM mount for several years. Early on, my iPhone fell off. Luckily I wasn't going too fast, and my LifeProof case protected the screen. I bought the silicone tether, and things have been fine ever since. Recently though, one corner of the tether broke, and the RAM mount rubber tips keep falling off, AND I'm trying to streamline my mount/dismount rituals. I ride almost everyday, so most of my trips are either short or very short. Part of the problem is that my new Bell full-face helmet doesn't have a quick-release chin-strap, so that takes two hands, taking the phone off of the RAM mount also takes two hands, and I'm worried about dropping the phone in the process. Oh, and I installed the new Sena 30K (includes FM radio which is a very nice upgrade for me), which means that I'd like better access to my phone. I know, a lot of whining.

Back to the original reason for the response... has anyone used the QuadLock that keeps popping up in all of my facebook feeds? It looks like it is secure, and easy to attach and detach from. I'm even considering buying their Qi charger one for the Vespa. It probably sounds like overkill, but it's something that I would use everyday.

Thanks in advance!
--Bobby
NOLA
Enthusiast
2019 Primavera 150 Touring
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:24 am quote
Re: My Two Cents and a question
bobbyoakes wrote:
I searched on "quad lock" to find just such a discussion.

I have been using a mirror mounted RAM mount for several years. Early on, my iPhone fell off. Luckily I wasn't going too fast, and my LifeProof case protected the screen. I bought the silicone tether, and things have been fine ever since. Recently though, one corner of the tether broke, and the RAM mount rubber tips keep falling off, AND I'm trying to streamline my mount/dismount rituals. I ride almost everyday, so most of my trips are either short or very short. Part of the problem is that my new Bell full-face helmet doesn't have a quick-release chin-strap, so that takes two hands, taking the phone off of the RAM mount also takes two hands, and I'm worried about dropping the phone in the process. Oh, and I installed the new Sena 30K (includes FM radio which is a very nice upgrade for me), which means that I'd like better access to my phone. I know, a lot of whining.

Back to the original reason for the response... has anyone used the QuadLock that keeps popping up in all of my facebook feeds? It looks like it is secure, and easy to attach and detach from. I'm even considering buying their Qi charger one for the Vespa. It probably sounds like overkill, but it's something that I would use everyday.

Thanks in advance!
--Bobby
NOLA
I use the Quad Lock Case and just purchased another one for my S10 Plus as well as two of my bicycles! They are an amazing product to hold your phone.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am quote
FWIW I was at Sportique in Boulder recently and they had a Prima phone holder that looks the same as an xmount but came with a mirror stem sized mount so you didn't have to use an adapter like the ram mount. I'd I didn't already have the ram mounts I'd pretty openly but it.
GTS 300
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 am quote
Quad Lock is the best bike mount Iíve used.
Use it on my Harley too and itís smooth and doesnít budge an inch.
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:47 pm quote
Have no complaints with my RAM X-mount although I don't use it too much.
Hooked
2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 am quote
I have a RAM mount that clamps onto my mirror stem. Been using it for years, no complaints.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1481s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0371s) ][ Debug on ]