T5 Gear oil smells like gasoline
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
1986 T5,1979 P200e
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:38 am quote
First I noticed oil on the rear tire. I thought maybe I had over filled the gearbox, so I unscrewed the fill bolt and oil was coming out. I drained the gearbox and the oil smells like gasoline.
Amerivespa in 2 weeks. Scooter runs fine.
Can I just leave it alone until after the rally?
Or should I order seals, bearings, and gaskets and try to fix it in one week?

image.jpg

Molto Verboso

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 am quote
Well, depending upon your skill level, and engine can be torn down in less than 20 minutes if you're fast. Assembly takes much longer. There are 168 hours in a week, so you should easily be able to button it back up in 148 hours.

...at the same time, it would probably be fine to ride as is.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:45 am quote
Bearings probably not needed but you will know once open.

Leave the motor on the scooter, leave carb on the motor, and gear cable in place to save time.

Good luck!
Hooked
PX125E
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 am quote
Gasoline is an excellent degreaser and it's what makes your piston move when it goes bang when ignited by a tiny spark. Do you really want to risk it?
Hooked
P125x (P200 Motor)
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 am quote
worrywort wrote:
Gasoline is an excellent degreaser and it's what makes your piston move when it goes bang when ignited by a tiny spark. Do you really want to risk it?
Yup, gas in the oil will ruin an engine in short order.
Hooked
PX 150
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am quote
I would change the gearbox oil and just make sure I am always closing the fuel tap when the engine is off. Pull the fill plug after a while and see if the level has noticeably increased again, which would indicate more gasoline contamination. I am not sure how gasoline is getting into your gearbox unless it is running through the carburetor and that hopefully will be addressed if you always turn off your fuel tap. At least until you can check your carb float and needle.
Addicted
Honda elite
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am quote
apex wrote:
I would change the gearbox oil and just make sure I am always closing the fuel tap when the engine is off. Pull the fill plug after a while and see if the level has noticeably increased again, which would indicate more gasoline contamination. I am not sure how gasoline is getting into your gearbox unless it is running through the carburetor and that hopefully will be addressed if you always turn off your fuel tap. At least until you can check your carb float and needle.
good advice, had issues myself with flooding carbs but that was partially due to a missing vent tube on the petcock. Change the oil and do some miles before Amerivespa to make sure everything is OK.
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm quote
Gasoline in the gearbox means clutch side seal is going bad. Even if the carb flooded, gasoline would go into the cylinder and the exhaust. If youíre skilled enough, itís a two day job to split the engine and overhaul it in a ďnormalĒ pace. Faster if you are very skilled. Itís the parts that you may need, that could waste your time...
Molto Verboso

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:33 pm quote
SaFiS wrote:
Itís the parts that you may need, that could waste your time...
that there^^
Hooked
1986 T5,1979 P200e
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:37 pm quote
I just finished rebuilding the carb because it was hard to start after sitting more than a few hours. Bad float needle? I will start shutting off the fuel.
When I do the rebuild, I want to replace all the bearings, seals, gaskets, and do the clutch and for a T5 Iíll probably have to order from Germany and thatíll take at least a week. I donít mind splitting the cases and replacing parts, but I donít think I can do it in 2-3 days.
Iíll order the parts tonight and keep checking the gear oil level every few days, hoping it stays the same.

image.jpg

Hooked
1986 T5,1979 P200e
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 am quote
Iíve taken 2 20 mile rides and checked the gear oil after each one. Maybe a tablespoon or so came out of the fill hole each time. Definitely a bad seal.
I did order parts for a rebuild but they wonít arrive until Friday or Saturday. Bearings, seals, gaskets, clutch kit and cruciform. I wonít be able to do it until after Amerivespa though.
Iíll change the gear oil before I leave and change it again once or twice during the rally weekend.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 am quote
Vpfalcon wrote:
Iíll change the gear oil before I leave and change it again once or twice during the rally weekend.
Sounds like a good plan. Murphy's Law eh?!? Have a great time at Amerivespa!
Hooked
1986 T5,1979 P200e
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:52 pm quote
Iím at Amerivespa and the T5 has been giving me trouble. On a 40 mile ride today the motor wanted to die at low speeds, then on a long downhill grade I noticed the the motor would not return to idle when I disengaged the clutch. I pulled over and motor is racing like crazy about 8000 rpms, so I turn off ignition hit the kill switch, still racing, put into 4th and applied the brakes and the motor finally shut off.
I let the motor cool off and rode back into town, and that wasnít easy.
Iím not sure what the heck happened?
Air leak from the carb? Stuck throttle slide? Clutch side seal completely disintegrated?
Other than that, Amerivespa has been great.

image.jpg

Molto Verboso

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:26 pm quote
I've had air leaks that stemmed from all three of those things...

The sticky throttle in my carb was caused by a warped carb (where the throttle slide is). I replaced my carb, and all was well again.

I've had a few clutch side seals that were about 1/4 missing. I replaced the seal, and all was well again.

I'd definetily look at your throttle slide first. The other air leaks will cause a engine to race, but i've never experienced it racing at full RPMs. I have had a sticky throttle causing it to race at a very high RPMs though.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1664s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0232s) ][ Debug on ]