NSR: So here's a pet peeve....
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Author Message
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1658
Location: Ohio
Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:51 am quote
Why- PLEASE tell me- why does it seem like everyone in the world is now starting every sentence with the word "so"?? I hear it on TV, radio, and see it in writing. For some unknown reason that gets my dander up quickly! Anyone??

I know there will be responses here that will start with "So......

Discuss

Bob
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2800
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:15 am quote
So sue me.
Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 2064
Location: Northern California
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:15 am quote
So, what I'm hearing you say is....


Yeah, "So" is a trigger word for me. Whenever my wife starts off with "So," I cringe because it's her entryway into a conversation that usually entails a complaint and how am I going to fix it.
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 904
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 am quote
Gee, I thought that was just a MITRE tic... I believe every MITRE engineer I ever worked with started their sentences/thoughts/jokes with "So...."
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, S 150, GTS 250
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7201
Location: KS USA
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:34 am quote
It happens because these people do not know the English language. It is wrong. "So" always follows a previous thought. It is not used to present a topic of conversation.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2711
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:40 pm quote
Common "filler" word. They signal that the person is about to speak but still thinking/formulating the sentence, so that the speaker isn't interrupted.

Some variation found in all languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics)

Strangest one I've heard was in rural China, where some said "urga" so often I thought it was a word.

Some day the robots will take over and we can stop complaining about people being so, uh, damn, like, you know, er, human.

In the meantime?...my pet peeve is that question sound millenials use?...at the end of or mid simple declarative statement? Starting to hear newscasters use it now....
Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 763
Location: Cheshire
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:46 pm quote
not as bad as like

i was like going to the shops

i was like laughing my head off

not right and really annoying
Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 367
Location: Doncaster UK
Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:29 am quote
Basically. This really annoys me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5841
Location: New Zealand
Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:19 am quote
Well....

PGabriel_So.jpg

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 904
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:03 am quote
znomit wrote:
Well....
So,...One of my favorite albums/CDs, by the way.
Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 367
Location: Doncaster UK
Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:10 am quote
Also the word of seems to have replaced the word have, this is just ridiculous and lazy.
Hooked
Matt Black 2014 300GTS Super Sport
Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Posts: 317
Location: Perranporth, Cornwall, England
Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 am quote
You've hit it there, Smeg - just plain lazy. Coupled with incompetent teaching and a refusal to make education competitive. No-one sees the need for correct grammar any more and there's no incentive to get things right. The same thing's happened in maths - metrication has removed the need for kids to learn anything other than base ten and we've allowed them to use calculators so even that's not really necessary.

How many times do you see sentences starting with "and" or "but" - completely wrong grammatically and totally unnecessary words.

Give things another generation or so to evolve and the far-eastern education system will have overtaken our decadent western system completely. Our centuries of educational superiority in Europe and America are fast coming to an end.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1658
Location: Ohio
Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:06 am quote
Another one that gets tossed around is "I mean" of course you do or you wouldn't be saying it..... "So I mean like......" The "so" just gets my dander up quickly....not sure why. The Peter Gabriel reference made me laugh out loud. Good one.

Bob
Hooked
GTS Super Sport
Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 173
Location: San Francisco
Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:32 am quote
So like, like so annoying!

Completely agree.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Posts: 1207
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:40 am quote
"You know..."
"Like..."
"Actually..."
"Sort of...."
"Kind of..."
"So..."
"Maybe..."
These words fall between annoying and lack of commitment or responsibility for what one is saying.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2711
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:31 am quote
So, as an English teacher and a guy with a degree in linguistics (who is married to a woman with a graduate degree in linguistics), here's my pet peeve: arrogant assumptions concerning intellect and education based on uninformed evaluations of regional and age-specific dialect, along with the ill informed and completely erroneous assumption that languages are static.

Do y'all speak the Queen's English?

Why not?

According to this thread, it's because you are all uneducated and lazy.

And since that's the theme of this thread, I suggest you put the computer before you to use and research the topic rather than just spouting off about it.

Because that's really the sign of the educated mind -- not verbal markers distinguishing age, region, gender etc. -- but a willingness and ability to learn; when you encounter something that strikes you as odd or different, why not take the time to learn about it rather than simply judging it as "it's not like me so it's wrong"?

Because, basically, no professional linguists, no one who is actually educated on this topic, would agree with anything written here.

So, how's that feel?

Young people use verbal fillers because, unlike like us old people, they are still developing language skills and are often being asked to address topics they are still learning.

Y'all likely used them when you were young, as well.

Further, language changes. Not one of you uses all the grammatical constructs your grandparents did. Listen to 50 plus year old recording some time and you'll hear for yourselves how different it was.

Pick up a 50 plus year old novel that writes in "white" dialect and you'll probably notice that, 50 years ago people in fact did not employ "So,..." but they certainly employed "Say,...."

Have often are y'all employing "may" and "shall"? What? You don't? Is this because you are lazy and uneducated?

Crimony, if I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum misuses "I" when they mean "me". Should we start insulting each other whenever one of us does that?

So, unless y'all find yourselves frequently saying "Say, could a fellow hit you up for a light, bud (or pal)," shuts yer traps.

Parting shot:
"So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns."

Or, in the original, Old English:
"HWĂT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
■eodcyninga ■rym gefrunon,
hu ­a Š■elingas ellen fremedon!"



Last edited by tdrake on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 904
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 am quote
tdrake wrote:
So, as an English teacher and a guy with a degree in linguistics (who is married to a woman with a graduate degree in linguistics), here's my pet peeve: arrogant assumptions concerning intellect and education based on uninformed evaluations of regional and age-specific dialect, along with the ill informed and completely erroneous assumption that languages are static.

Do y'all speak the Queen's English?

Why not?

According to this thread, it's because you are all uneducated and lazy.

And since that's the theme of this thread, I suggest you put the computer before you to use and research the topic rather than just spouting off about it.

Because that's really the sign of the educated mind -- not verbal markers distinguishing age, region, gender etc. -- but a willingness and ability to learn; when you encounter something that strikes you as odd or different, why not take the time to learn about it rather than simply judging it as "it's not like me so it's wrong"?

Because, basically, no professional linguists, no one who is actually educated on this topic, would agree with anything written here.

So, how's that feel?

Young people use verbal fillers because, unlike like us old people, they are still developing language skills and are often being asked to address topics they are still learning.

Y'all likely used them when you were young, as well.

Further, language changes. Not one of you uses all the grammatical constructs your grandparents did. Listen to 50 plus year old recording some time and you'll hear for yourselves how different it was.

Pick up a 50 plus year old novel that writes in "white" dialect and you'll probably notice that, 50 years ago people in fact did not employ "So,..." but they certainly employed "Say,...."

Have often are y'all employing "may" and "shall"? What? You don't? Is this because you are lazy and uneducated?

Crimony, if I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum misuses "I" when they mean "me". Should we start insulting each other whenever one of us does that?

So, unless y'all find yourselves frequently saying "Say, could a fellow hit you up for a light, bud (or pal)," shuts yer traps.

Rant over. Gotta save some energy for class.
First off, you said "all" - and at no time did I disparage anyone who starts a conversation with "so" or any other piece of dialect. I simply observed that it is widely used within a segment of engineers with whom I have worked. 'So', you might want to read more carefully - How's that make you feel? And, I use "may" and "shall" in normal conversation and writing. Generalize much?
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2711
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 am quote
Nautiker wrote:
tdrake wrote:
So, as an English teacher and a guy with a degree in linguistics (who is married to a woman with a graduate degree in linguistics), here's my pet peeve: arrogant assumptions concerning intellect and education based on uninformed evaluations of regional and age-specific dialect, along with the ill informed and completely erroneous assumption that languages are static.

Do y'all speak the Queen's English?

Why not?

According to this thread, it's because you are all uneducated and lazy.

And since that's the theme of this thread, I suggest you put the computer before you to use and research the topic rather than just spouting off about it.

Because that's really the sign of the educated mind -- not verbal markers distinguishing age, region, gender etc. -- but a willingness and ability to learn; when you encounter something that strikes you as odd or different, why not take the time to learn about it rather than simply judging it as "it's not like me so it's wrong"?

Because, basically, no professional linguists, no one who is actually educated on this topic, would agree with anything written here.

So, how's that feel?

Young people use verbal fillers because, unlike like us old people, they are still developing language skills and are often being asked to address topics they are still learning.

Y'all likely used them when you were young, as well.

Further, language changes. Not one of you uses all the grammatical constructs your grandparents did. Listen to 50 plus year old recording some time and you'll hear for yourselves how different it was.

Pick up a 50 plus year old novel that writes in "white" dialect and you'll probably notice that, 50 years ago people in fact did not employ "So,..." but they certainly employed "Say,...."

Have often are y'all employing "may" and "shall"? What? You don't? Is this because you are lazy and uneducated?

Crimony, if I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum misuses "I" when they mean "me". Should we start insulting each other whenever one of us does that?

So, unless y'all find yourselves frequently saying "Say, could a fellow hit you up for a light, bud (or pal)," shuts yer traps.

Rant over. Gotta save some energy for class.
First off, you said "all" - and at no time did I disparage anyone who starts a conversation with "so" or any other piece of dialect. I simply observed that it is widely used within a segment of engineers with whom I have worked. 'So', you might want to read more carefully - How's that make you feel? And, I use "may" and "shall" in normal conversation and writing. Generalize much?
So, it begins. Wouldn't context dictate that I was clearly not addressing you, as you had not made the disparaging remarks I was addressing?

Are you questioning the content of my argument or simply being defensive and offering a red herring?

Are you interested in learning about the linguistic constructs addressed in this thread of just scoring rhetorical points?

"Shall" is largely considered antiquated, such as "thee" and "thou" and the hard "k" in "knife".

Or maybe you use those constructs as well...?
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 904
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 am quote
The context is summed up here:

According to this thread, it's because you are all uneducated and lazy.

If a red herring is involved, you just provided it.
Molto Verboso
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto (sold) - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)
Joined: 17 Sep 2015
Posts: 1092
Location: Carlsbad, California
Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:06 am quote
So wait, people used to pronounce knife with a hard "K?"
Hooked
'74 super, '07 yellow panda
Joined: 17 Apr 2016
Posts: 144
Location: richland, wa
Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:16 am quote
So sorry
Gosh, I do this all the time. I had no idea how upsetting it was.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 29653
Location: Bay Area, California
Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:33 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
So, as an English teacher and a guy with a degree in linguistics (who is married to a woman with a graduate degree in linguistics), here's my pet peeve: arrogant assumptions concerning intellect and education based on uninformed evaluations of regional and age-specific dialect, along with the ill informed and completely erroneous assumption that languages are static.
You win the internets today, sir. You articulated my pet peeve much better than I have ever been able to.
Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 2064
Location: Northern California
Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:52 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
So, as an English teacher and a guy with a degree in linguistics (who is married to a woman with a graduate degree in linguistics), here's my pet peeve: arrogant assumptions concerning intellect and education based on uninformed evaluations of regional and age-specific dialect, along with the ill informed and completely erroneous assumption that languages are static.

Do y'all speak the Queen's English?

Why not?

According to this thread, it's because you are all uneducated and lazy.

And since that's the theme of this thread, I suggest you put the computer before you to use and research the topic rather than just spouting off about it.

Because that's really the sign of the educated mind -- not verbal markers distinguishing age, region, gender etc. -- but a willingness and ability to learn; when you encounter something that strikes you as odd or different, why not take the time to learn about it rather than simply judging it as "it's not like me so it's wrong"?

Because, basically, no professional linguists, no one who is actually educated on this topic, would agree with anything written here.

So, how's that feel?

Young people use verbal fillers because, unlike like us old people, they are still developing language skills and are often being asked to address topics they are still learning.

Y'all likely used them when you were young, as well.

Further, language changes. Not one of you uses all the grammatical constructs your grandparents did. Listen to 50 plus year old recording some time and you'll hear for yourselves how different it was.

Pick up a 50 plus year old novel that writes in "white" dialect and you'll probably notice that, 50 years ago people in fact did not employ "So,..." but they certainly employed "Say,...."

Have often are y'all employing "may" and "shall"? What? You don't? Is this because you are lazy and uneducated?

Crimony, if I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum misuses "I" when they mean "me". Should we start insulting each other whenever one of us does that?

So, unless y'all find yourselves frequently saying "Say, could a fellow hit you up for a light, bud (or pal)," shuts yer traps.

Parting shot:
"So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns."

Or, in the original, Old English:
"HWĂT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
■eodcyninga ■rym gefrunon,
hu ­a Š■elingas ellen fremedon!"

Noam Chomsky is one of my cynosures and I enjoy reading "The Forme of Cury"
Addicted
Vespa ET4, GTS 250ie (thanks to 'Baudler'), Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (again, thanks to 'Baudler''...damn that 'Baudler'), Enfield, BMW f650gs, Guzzi V9
Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 532
Location: Maryland
Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:41 pm quote
Pet peeves... I have a lot of pet peeves and a major one is A Lot! If my 7th grade english teacher never taught me anything else, I can still hear her yellng "A Lot os NEVER Alot, it is NEVER written as one word damn it"! ( I believe my general stupidity frustrated her).
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Posts: 1936
Location: Finland
Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:51 pm quote
The link provided by drtrake is interesting.

I also checked the Finnish section and sadly found it to be valid - among our youth, swear words are the most common fillers. I can take so, well etc., but words that used to be rude are harder.

English is not my native language, but I can offer a general comment: I blame technology for a lot of small mistakes in written text. I'm one of those using touch screens. With my fingers, every tenth (?) letter goes wrong. Then comes the artificial intelligence: automatic spell checks and grammar corrections attact the text. Sometimes it works, but not always.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 29304

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:58 am quote
People are a product of their environment. North, South etc. You tend to use the accent and words you hear when your growing up and learning the English language. I have friends who are Professors, Lawyers etc that have taken classes to get rid of their accents. Southern accents = dumb to some people. This happens in other languages as well. I learned Arabic from my Egyptian interpreters. When i was in Morocco years ago i couldn't remember m French so i asked a question in Arabic. The woman told me i had a Egyptian accent. Which was true because i learned Arabic from Egyptians. I didn't realize that it was that noticeable.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10847
Location: Oregon City, OR
Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:35 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Strangest one I've heard was in rural China, where some said "urga" so often I thought it was a word.
"Filler" words. Sounds like Russians and "tak...tak...tak"
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1658
Location: Ohio
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:13 pm quote
Reviving this old thread but something that happened today brought me thinking of this pet peeve.... I've noticed this before but today it was just off the charts....today it was crazy obvious.


I went to buy some new clothes this afternoon and while in the dressing room trying things on, WOMEN kept walking into the dressing room area and/or standing right at the entrance staring in. WTF is that about? If I guy did that in the women's he'd be in jail. These weren't moms waiting for children these were 30-60 year old women. The one stood right outside my door. My wife asked if I could have been mistaken and that is was actually a guy from another room "not unless they have size 6 feet with red painted toenails"!!! I was met by a different women every time I exited. This was in a nicer store too..... Anyone else notice this?

Bob
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5462
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:28 pm quote
So yeah (sorry, had to)

I worked in a pretty upscale boutique in Montreal when I was young where we just had curtains for change room doors. I can't tell you how many times I had women basically get undressed right in front of me with the curtains mostly wide open. They also dressed us in the clothes and we all met downstairs and got dressed together with the girls (and us guys) getting down to our undies to get dressed in the open.

In my case it was just a cultural thing I'm sure as the French see it differently and underwear and for that matter being topless no big deal. As a young man in his late teens/early 20's I had no complaint and the clientele was also pretty young.

In your situation I could see it being uncomfortable and there is a good chance I'd feel a little bit that way myself. At the end of the day though... I don't know if it's a big deal. I do see your point if the situation was reversed it could be a bigger deal. Mind you a lot of spas and upscale places are pretty...let's just say check your dignity at the door if you're worried about seeing parts of your body. As long as your in your undies though it's not really any different than saying being at the beach.

The phrase that I find amusing now is "yeah, no" . I try and not say it but I find myself saying it more than I'd like.

Language however is constantly changing and none of us probably seek the same way as our parents did at our age.
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1310
Location: Adelaide
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
The phrase that I find amusing now is "yeah, no" . I try and not say it but I find myself saying it more than I'd like.
Always thought that 'Yeah Nah' was Australian, but New Zealanders are claiming that it belongs to them. Pull the other one.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yeahnah
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5841
Location: New Zealand
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 am quote
Yeah, nah. You guys are always stealing our stuff...


https://teara.govt.nz/files/24146-pc-h.mp4
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2946
Location: Bangkok
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:56 am quote
tdrake wrote:
In the meantime?...my pet peeve is that question sound millenials use?...at the end of or mid simple declarative statement? Starting to hear newscasters use it now....
Yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwyEs-Pn46Q
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 432
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:15 am quote
Ja-no-well-fine...

A uniquely South African expression that means:
"That may well be - I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - I just want to move on from here..."
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1310
Location: Adelaide
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:47 am quote
Sew ?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5462
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:59 am quote
yeah no reminds me of this little gem.

Go away, come here. Hey you.....

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5841
Location: New Zealand
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Ja-no-well-fine...

A uniquely South African expression that means:
"That may well be - I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - I just want to move on from here..."
I've worked with a few of your countrymen. That term is familiar.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1658
Location: Ohio
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
So yeah (sorry, had to)

I worked in a pretty upscale boutique in Montreal when I was young where we just had curtains for change room doors. I can't tell you how many times I had women basically get undressed right in front of me with the curtains mostly wide open. They also dressed us in the clothes and we all met downstairs and got dressed together with the girls (and us guys) getting down to our undies to get dressed in the open.

In my case it was just a cultural thing I'm sure as the French see it differently and underwear and for that matter being topless no big deal. As a young man in his late teens/early 20's I had no complaint and the clientele was also pretty young.

In your situation I could see it being uncomfortable and there is a good chance I'd feel a little bit that way myself. At the end of the day though... I don't know if it's a big deal. I do see your point if the situation was reversed it could be a bigger deal. Mind you a lot of spas and upscale places are pretty...let's just say check your dignity at the door if you're worried about seeing parts of your body. As long as your in your undies though it's not really any different than saying being at the beach.

The phrase that I find amusing now is "yeah, no" . I try and not say it but I find myself saying it more than I'd like.

Language however is constantly changing and none of us probably seek the same way as our parents did at our age.
I don't really care if they saw me coming and going from the dressing room- though it is ignorant to stand right in the doorway. Clothes shopping is one of the worst things in the world for me and to have anything "weird" added to the process makes it that much worse. I had women commenting on how things looked when I would walk out to see myself in the full length mirror. Just weird.

On a more on topic with this thread - why do some millennials say "I know, right?" after everything you say?

I guess I should just end this with "get off my lawn!"..............

Bob
Hooked
BV 350
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 400
Location: Nebraska
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:35 pm quote
maybe
Maybe they watched "Office Space" too many times, and came to admire Lumberg.

My peeve is when people use it as a modifier ( "I was SO tired") and never complete the thought. In times past one would expect "that I fell asleep at my desk" or some other phrase to explain just how tired they were. But no.
Addicted
Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 702

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 am quote
tdrake wrote:
So, as an English teacher and a guy with a degree in linguistics (who is married to a woman with a graduate degree in linguistics), here's my pet peeve: arrogant assumptions concerning intellect and education based on uninformed evaluations of regional and age-specific dialect, along with the ill informed and completely erroneous assumption that languages are static.

Do y'all speak the Queen's English?

Why not?

According to this thread, it's because you are all uneducated and lazy.

And since that's the theme of this thread, I suggest you put the computer before you to use and research the topic rather than just spouting off about it.

Because that's really the sign of the educated mind -- not verbal markers distinguishing age, region, gender etc. -- but a willingness and ability to learn; when you encounter something that strikes you as odd or different, why not take the time to learn about it rather than simply judging it as "it's not like me so it's wrong"?

Because, basically, no professional linguists, no one who is actually educated on this topic, would agree with anything written here.

So, how's that feel?

Young people use verbal fillers because, unlike like us old people, they are still developing language skills and are often being asked to address topics they are still learning.

Y'all likely used them when you were young, as well.

Further, language changes. Not one of you uses all the grammatical constructs your grandparents did. Listen to 50 plus year old recording some time and you'll hear for yourselves how different it was.

Pick up a 50 plus year old novel that writes in "white" dialect and you'll probably notice that, 50 years ago people in fact did not employ "So,..." but they certainly employed "Say,...."

Have often are y'all employing "may" and "shall"? What? You don't? Is this because you are lazy and uneducated?

Crimony, if I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum misuses "I" when they mean "me". Should we start insulting each other whenever one of us does that?

So, unless y'all find yourselves frequently saying "Say, could a fellow hit you up for a light, bud (or pal)," shuts yer traps.

Parting shot:
"So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns."

Or, in the original, Old English:
"HWĂT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
■eodcyninga ■rym gefrunon,
hu ­a Š■elingas ellen fremedon!"

. So nice being dressed down by an expert! Ya know, so, like.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 201
Location: Irving, TX
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:55 am quote
So my linguistic pet peeves:

"prolly" instead of probably
"welp" instead of well
"whilst" instead of while (I know that whilst is an actual word and is being used correctly, to me it smacks of condescension/elitism, and "while" is a shorter word than "whilst.")
"ya'll" instead of y'all
"sammich" instead of sandwich

I could go on and on. I have my HS English teacher father and HS English teacher step-mom to thank.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.5301s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0797s) ][ Debug on ]