62 VBB, 150.
Points. Condenser. No battery.
Seen some time in Indonesia - where she learned a trick or two - it's true - but generally build quality is very solid.
Situation: Bike running fine. Tested some LED AC light bulbs in tail and brake. Were great - for about 1 minute - then faded and went out.
Replaced with old incandescent. Seemed to work - but - noted headlight out.
Then tested horn - whisper of a sound comes from it - barely getting power.
Put multi meter on junction box at motor.
Sure enough - very low power at junction box.
Coil and horn getting 6 or 7 volts - used to be twice that.
Lights and brake light power read 1/2 that at 2-3 volts max.
This is at 2000+rpm.
Stator appears to be putting out low/half power - suddenly.
Receipts/paper work with scoot when purchased read:
- "New ignition coil set, Piaggio #5/156357"
- "New brake light switch"
- "Upgraded to 12 volt system"
All bulbs including headlight are 12V - and have operated fine until now.
Unhooked stator wires at junction box and used 12v battery to power wiring harness.
- Horn back to wailing - full power.
- Tail and brake lights - both work great.
- Headlight - is getting power in to switch - but does not seem to transfer power to output wires going to lights.
- Weidly - I can measure continuity between power input on switch and output to lights - but even with battery can not measure any power crossing that circuit on switch (only continuity). Weird.
Pulled stator - see pics below.
1. Is there a means to test the coils with resistance/continuity? Have struggled to find the values or methods online.
2. Do the two coils wired in series not represent 12V? If yes - its a lot like one of them is dead (half voltage). How do you tell if it is a 12V or 6V?
3. Some goop leaking out of a few of them - maybe this is normal?
4. Cloth covered wires are glazed and stiff - normal?
5. Just to throw it out there - Is it feasible my handlebar switch is damaged and my stator is ok - would that give me low readings at the junction box?
harness I am holding goest to brake and running light on sidecar. - tie in to brake and running lights circuits on scoot.
coil on rt is yellow and aqua colored wires. feed two lighting circuits. coil at 7:00 feeds horn circuit. Ignition coil is at 10:00
Last edited by charlieman22 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total