today i ..... bollox 2.1
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...555657...596061Next
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86 and a not so normal pts100 '82
Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 5495
Location: Indo
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:45 am quote
SaFiS wrote:
Parts for the V50 came in. DR 102cc, 18/67 Primary, full engine overhaul. Engine bushings were a PITA. Had to machine a "dilator" to help the tube go into them, using my hydraulic press. Most shops here retrofit the PK ones but then I would need to machine a "compressor" tube to make them go in...

Everything's clean and assembly has begun...
last time i did it i just hit it with a rubber hammer but ur smallie gonna be nice and clean Brother Safis:D

Tonight i manage to fix my smallie, test ride and maybe sleep well for the rest of the night

IMG-20190710-WA0036.jpeg

IMG-20190710-WA0042.jpeg

Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
What the...? Iím having a tough time imagining the forces that were in play here. Were you doing burnouts? Jumping off cubs?
I was just accelerating away from a stop sign on my way to the train on Monday morning. Smooths street, 25 MPH speed limit. It got run pretty hard over the weekend, though. We might have done some aggressive comparative test rides over the weekend down at Malaprop Motors..
SoCalGuy wrote:
Oh well. Just slap a little JB Weld on there n you should be fine
Hah! I think I'd definitely be the winner & all time champion of the "what's the craziest thing you've JD Welded?" contest if I pulled that off.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7413
Location: seattle/athens
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
What the...? Iím having a tough time imagining the forces that were in play here. Were you doing burnouts? Jumping off cubs?

Oh well. Just slap a little JB Weld on there n you should be fine
Just NO! This is a case where JB Weld would be bodging it. Send it to me or maybe qascooter so it can be dealt with properly by REAL welding! Then just use your favorite tool to finish and fit it .
Quote:
There pretty much isn't anything I won't dremel at this point.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 pm quote
The new axle and cruciform should arrive on Friday, assuming UPS keeps to the estimated delivery date.

The old axle is still stuck in the case due to me being unable to get the hub nut off. All I tried was hitting it with the impact wrench again after soaking with PB Blaster, but it's still irritating.

Tomorrow I'll try again using heat along with PB Blaster, followed by picking up a breaker bar if that fails.
Member
'05 Stella
Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Posts: 10
Location: Evanston, Il.
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:14 pm quote
ok, i'll bring a breaker bar tomorrow nite.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:48 pm quote
I got the hub nut off and the axle out today while taking a break from making powerpoint slides, with a little help from my good friend Mr. Angle Grinder.

That axle clearly led a hard life.

IMG_20190711_151127.jpg
Hi-tech two-piece racing axle. For a perfect repair. Grade A.

IMG_20190711_151154.jpg
I'm honestly not quite sure WHAT happened here

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1856

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
I got the hub nut off and the axle out today while taking a break from making powerpoint slides, with a little help from my good friend Mr. Angle Grinder.

That axle clearly led a hard life.
If your whole transmission was still LML, that could have been your problem. Nevertheless, that damage is pretty darn impressive! I ended up upgrading one of my Stellaís transmissions to actual piaggio EFL gears.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7121
Location: Victoria, Australia
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:57 pm quote
Impressive! Same thing happened to Subetherbass' VBC original driveshaft (apart from actually breaking).
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:52 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
If your whole transmission was still LML, that could have been your problem. Nevertheless, that damage is pretty darn impressive! I ended up upgrading one of my Stellaís transmissions to actual piaggio EFL gears.
The driveshaft was not original. I'm not sure who made it.

1st and 2nd gears are original LML and pretty worn, but I went ahead and buttoned the whole thing up and got it rolling again.

Then, I moved on to the Sprint motor. I ordered a new castle nut tool (mine was pretty thrashed) along with a SIP deep castle nut and that thing went on almost as easily as a hex head bolt.

Then, I buttoned everything back up, went to torque the head nuts, and every single one of the damn things stripped out at 16 ft-lbs. Grrrr....

Ordered some M7 time-serts and will get it all sorted back out when they arrive, either later today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've decided (with a little prompting from my wife) that I'm going to reduce the size of my scooter stable to just the Sprint & GL. I'm going to convert my spare LML motor back to autolube and put it in the Stella with the 166 on it.

The VBB will get its original motor back, which was running just fine when I pulled it out, it was just slow.

The Sprint motor will go into the GL, which I'm going to do a patina frame and paint the new cowls since they have to be replaced anyway. I'll just need to sort out suspension, rebuild the front fork, and run cables & wiring/lights. sorting out a tank for autolube will be the most challenging part of that project, I expect.

So I have my next few rounds of scooter projects laid out, I just need to execute on them.

IMG_20190712_125117.jpg
new tool, new nut. All win.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7121
Location: Victoria, Australia
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
Then, I moved on to the Sprint motor. I ordered a new castle nut tool (mine was pretty thrashed) along with a SIP deep castle nut and that thing went on almost as easily as a hex head bolt.
I don't understand why you would put a castle nut back in? You have enough build experience... that surprised me CM! Unless you had to wait a week for a good one?
chandlerman wrote:
Then, I buttoned everything back up, went to torque the head nuts, and every single one of the damn things stripped out at 16 ft-lbs. Grrrr....

Ordered some M7 time-serts and will get it all sorted back out when they arrive, either later today or tomorrow.
M7 nuts/studs have a much lower torque figure than that! 13 seems to be the maximum according to a few sources. I normally only do my 200 M8 studs to 15.
Having said that, I've been guilty of stripping the studs before, most recently in the LML case with the BGM 177. I re-tapped to M8 and put 200 studs in there (worked out because I put a 200 crank in and was using a packer anyway). But I have seen them taken out to M10 with a stud turned down.

LML with packer.jpg

Beedspeed torque settings.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Beedspeed torque settings.pdf
 Filesize:  25.59 KB

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1856

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:16 pm quote
A while back, I installed 4 time-serts in my lammy because one of the threaded holes for the head stud was compromised. You just have to make extra sure to get those inserts perfectly square. Donít want to get get the head studs winging out every which way like Tom Bakerís teeth.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 am quote
Ginch wrote:
I don't understand why you would put a castle nut back in? You have enough build experience... that surprised me CM! Unless you had to wait a week for a good one?
Six-spring clutch. I'm still on the hunt for a flange nut that will fit it and had the SIP order coming anyway so I tried it out of morbid curiosity.
Ginch wrote:
M7 nuts/studs have a much lower torque figure than that! 13 seems to be the maximum according to a few sources. I normally only do my 200 M8 studs to 15.
Having said that, I've been guilty of stripping the studs before, most recently in the LML case with the BGM 177. I re-tapped to M8 and put 200 studs in there (worked out because I put a 200 crank in and was using a packer anyway). But I have seen them taken out to M10 with a stud turned down.
I could probably go the M8/P200 stud route, but am going to go with the TimeSerts for now.

I've always torqued my tuned motors to 16 ft-lbs. Never had an issue before, including on this one.

Oh, well...
Hooked
59" Allstate
Joined: 03 Aug 2018
Posts: 189
Location: TC Florida
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:53 am quote
Ginch wrote:
chandlerman wrote:
Then, I moved on to the Sprint motor. I ordered a new castle nut tool (mine was pretty thrashed) along with a SIP deep castle nut and that thing went on almost as easily as a hex head bolt.
I don't understand why you would put a castle nut back in? You have enough build experience... that surprised me CM! Unless you had to wait a week for a good one?
chandlerman wrote:
Then, I buttoned everything back up, went to torque the head nuts, and every single one of the damn things stripped out at 16 ft-lbs. Grrrr....

Ordered some M7 time-serts and will get it all sorted back out when they arrive, either later today or tomorrow.
M7 nuts/studs have a much lower torque figure than that! 13 seems to be the maximum according to a few sources. I normally only do my 200 M8 studs to 15.
Having said that, I've been guilty of stripping the studs before, most recently in the LML case with the BGM 177. I re-tapped to M8 and put 200 studs in there (worked out because I put a 200 crank in and was using a packer anyway). But I have seen them taken out to M10 with a stud turned down.
Im hoping to learn something here, What would one use if not a castle nut ? stock crank or aftermarket ?
Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7478
Location: San Francisco
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:00 am quote
Replaced the center mat on the rally. The old one was not falling off but was badly cracked and worried that water would find its way in.

DD65C5E8-AEB2-4C38-9F82-1284494A0AEB.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1856

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:23 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Replaced the center mat on the rally. The old one was not falling off but was badly cracked and worried that water would find its way in.
JB Weld that mat back together
Hooked
1964 GS160, 1966 90ss
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 236

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:49 pm quote
I finally sourced an original battery cap for a GS160. This is a stupid latching system, but you know how it goes. Gotta go original.

You may notice that the tray itself is completed with some aluminum stock. I had to do that because the steel had been eaten away. I'll weld in a replacement someday.

IMG_6731.JPG

Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 265
Location: Melbourne, Way Downunder
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:21 am quote
It looked so pretty, sitting in the dappled shade, as I rode down a few hours of back roads to the Drop Zone.



Then I wen't a little too hard down the freeway, and coasted to a stop.



The shadow on the piston looked ominous.



For good reason



Mmm, toasty



And for good measure I've killed the cylinder too.



Yep. Today I.... Bolox.
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 1220
Location: UK (South East)
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:17 pm quote
@GT6, it's kit or 'O' tune time for that scoot. A blessing in disguise?
Molto Verboso
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 1580
Location: London UK
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:44 pm quote
I would like to say unlucky but that has been running terrible for a long long time. Either air leak, timing or jetting way out. Plug must look sad either way.

The only thing not to do from this point is buy a new stock Meteor piston.
Cylinder looks bad but will clean up if you want to reuse it.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/piston+grandsport+200+cc+_12090000
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '64 V90
Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 570
Location: S.Salem, NY
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:12 am quote
Is that your spark plug seat ? If so, looks like an air leak to me....
Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7478
Location: San Francisco
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:12 pm quote
Finished three days of riding in southern Oregon

C6125F4C-5255-49AC-816D-A763BE1E8BD1.jpeg

Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:13 am quote
I spent some time re-dialing in the Frankensprint's carb today. Cleaned up the richness from 1/4-3/4 throttle, took the main down a jet and the idle up one.

It's still a little rich (11-ish) on the air:fuel meter, but since I wasn't able to get it out and test it on the highway, I'll call that close enough with some margin for error.

It REALLY made a big difference to not have four-stroking in the 1/4-1/2 range, which is where I do most of my riding. Really woke the bike up, too.

Next up...ride it to the store and get some beer.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7413
Location: seattle/athens
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:00 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Finished three days of riding in southern Oregon


Beautiful Rally, beautiful pic. 3 days in the saddle, that's hardcore. I'm officially jealous.

And Chandler, you lost me. I must have missed something. How is your Sprint a 'Frankensprint'?

So today I took my first official ride on 50 special on public roads. Did not disappoint. Pics shortly over here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/post2335494#2335494
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
And Chandler, you lost me. I must have missed something. How is your Sprint a 'Frankensprint'?
I put my Stella motor in it. The Sprint motor was fast, but not as fast, and something is off with it, so it's in the stand, waiting to get its cases split. It has a rattle when it's running that doesn't sound healthy.

I thought about starting on it this afternoon, but it's a little warm out for my tastes.
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 100
Location: 3rd Rock From the Sun
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:28 pm quote
today i put my motor back in my purple frame
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7121
Location: Victoria, Australia
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:38 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
V oodoo wrote:
And Chandler, you lost me. I must have missed something. How is your Sprint a 'Frankensprint'?
I put my Stella motor in it.
Less of a Frankensprint than a Chersprint I think.

Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7478
Location: San Francisco
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:48 am quote
Fixed the broken exhaust hanger on the MotoBi

A70AB69F-E663-4558-B6D2-F7F3A240092B.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1856

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:56 pm quote
My PX200 got mostly 7ís on its odometer this evening.

EF1950EA-5C96-45F2-9A40-A334D8A8CA8D.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1856

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:06 pm quote
And yesterday during heavy evening traffic on a fast winding uphill 4 lane highway, my right side mirror started to pivot towards me. I reached over with my left hand to pivot it back in place...at the exact same time that it fell of into my hand. Apparently it just randomly snapped off. Iím guessing vibration killed it. Now to get the rest of the threads out!

7368B1EB-8C5E-412C-8CA1-739CB0DB5591.jpeg

Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:25 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
And yesterday during heavy evening traffic on a fast winding uphill 4 lane highway, my right side mirror started to pivot towards me. I reached over with my left hand to pivot it back in place...at the exact same time that it fell of into my hand. Apparently it just randomly snapped off. Iím guessing vibration killed it. Now to get the rest of the threads out!
Duct tape will fix that in no time!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7413
Location: seattle/athens
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:53 pm quote
Nah, Shoe Goo!
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:26 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
Nah, Shoe Goo!
You know he's going to ignore us both and just use JBWeld, though.
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1856

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:00 pm quote
Iíd figure Iíd use a wad of Bazooka Joe bubble gum to fix it.
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 3842
Location: Millbin, Ostrayleea, mate
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:10 pm quote
Beer can! Get drunk, & Bodge it
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200, Rustbadge
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 717
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:08 am quote
Watching this YouTube video made me laugh through the entire thing.
https://youtu.be/m0uTSEwgZcM

This guy has a P that is blowing headlight bulbs. Instead of researching the issue and getting a regulator he buys a DC light set and installs. Seems he's mechanically inclined but just want to jerry rig the thing. Regulator is still bad but oh well.
Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7478
Location: San Francisco
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 am quote
Did some cleanup behind the battery and finally replaced the rubber bumpers

C3D18526-E6B6-4AAA-A22C-F6134D67B1C8.jpeg

Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 100
Location: 3rd Rock From the Sun
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 am quote
when changing the vacuum pipe on my fuel pump, stripped the thread on the crankcase side and had to strip the engine to helicoil.....

:unhappy
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 2268
Location: Chicago. Well, Evanston, but that's almost Chicago
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 am quote
I'm out of town right now, but over the weekend, I went to split the cases of the Sprint's motor to see what's ratting in there (current theory: cush drive springs).

Aaaand....the SIP Performace/VAPE flywheel is stuck on. Destroyed not one, but two flywheel pullers trying to get it off. next up is grinding down a three-armed gear pulled to fit under the central section of the flywheel and trying that. If that doesn't work, it'll be time to get destructive.

On the bright side, I replaced the shift cables in the Sprint and it made a huge difference in how shifting feels. Lastly, realized that the irritating rattle I was hearing is the front fender crest. Currently, the repair is a bodge of sticking tape under the ends of the crest, because I can't seem to get the pinch-locks to tighten up. Anyone got any advice on that? Would pulling it off and threading the posts so I could lock-nut it on be too extreme?

Overall, though, the bike is really, really fun to ride these days
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 4906
Location: So Cal
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm quote
Quote:
Anyone got any advice on that? Would pulling it off and threading the posts so I could lock-nut it on be too extreme?
I was jokingly going to suggest ďShoe GooĒ, but then remembered that the fender crest is actually a place where Shoe Goo works! Forms a nice rubbery bond that doesnít rattle and comes off easily if you ever want to remove it. Just donít glob it all over the place.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7413
Location: seattle/athens
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:10 pm quote
same boat
Quote:
Currently, the repair is a bodge of sticking tape under the ends of the crest, because I can't seem to get the pinch-locks to tighten up. Anyone got any advice on that? Would pulling it off and threading the posts so I could lock-nut it on be too extreme?
Both the fender crest and rear badge on my 50 special had broken retainers so I went to my most dependable remedy. A small gob of Shoe Goo applied from underneath will hold it securely and eliminate any rattles but can be removed without pain or leaving any trace behind. Also always use it on the leggy badges so I don't have to peen the pegs over in back.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...555657...596061Next
[ Time: 0.5185s ][ Queries: 25 (0.3790s) ][ Debug on ]