Center stand woes
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GT200L Daring Plum
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:35 am quote
This 240 lb. old lady weakling needs some tips, tricks to getting the 300+ lb. Vespa 200L up on the center stand. Fortunately my daughter was just leaving for work - otherwise I'd still be standing there!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 am quote
You don't really lift the scooter "up" onto the center stand. You stand beside it on the left side, use your right foot to hold the stand down, place left hand on left grip and right hand on the grab rail beside the seat, and then push/pull the scooter forward in a smooth motion. When done correctly it does not take much force. I think others have posted videos of this in the past.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:46 am quote
You can install a sidestand, and it will solve this problem for you. It's a lot easier to use and better than dropping your bike.

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa/gt-200/gt-200-accessories/piaggio-side-stand-for-vespa-gt-gts-gtv
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 am quote
It's not a matter of strength but rather one of technique. Do as Dooglas suggested. I would add to make sure both points of the stand are on the ground. And when you "stand" on the foot pad of the center stand you simultaneously"lift" with your right hand.

Once you do it -- I would practice it 20 to 25 times in a row to make sure you begin to set that muscle memory.

I just got a 530 pound motorcycle with a center stand. Getting it on the stand is not about muscle -- just the right technique.

Here's an example:

https://youtu.be/ZlwZfTkS7Go

Good luck.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:19 am quote
Motovista wrote:
You can install a sidestand, and it will solve this problem for you. It's a lot easier to use and better than dropping your bike.

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa/gt-200/gt-200-accessories/piaggio-side-stand-for-vespa-gt-gts-gtv
Yes, you can get a side stand put on and I do have one on my 2017 GTV. Be warned though that the side stand is NOT nearly as stable as the centre stand. Once you get the hang of using the centre stand it really is not hard to do and takes little strength. Soon I am going to have to teach my wife how to do this, for now she is using the side stand but I much prefer she does not.

Douglas explains the process well and it really is mostly about the stepping down on the stand and letting physics work. As you step down the scoot lifts up and on to the stand.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:07 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Motovista wrote:

Yes, you can get a side stand put on and I do have one on my 2017 GTV. Be warned though that the side stand is NOT nearly as stable as the centre stand. Once you get the hang of using the centre stand it really is not hard to do and takes little strength. Soon I am going to have to teach my wife how to do this, for now she is using the side stand but I much prefer she does not.

Douglas explains the process well and it really is mostly about the stepping down on the stand and letting physics work. As you step down the scoot lifts up and on to the stand.
Dooglas also says to "Never, never, never ever, ever, ever ever use a side stand. Not for 5 seconds." I've never used one myself but have seen them on other scooters. They seem a bit precarious to me should someone bump the scooter.

The center stand is so easy to use that I can't imagine why I would need a side stand.
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:30 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
The center stand is so easy to use that I can't imagine why I would need a side stand.
I’ve always ridden bikes with side stands, including pretty big machines, like my old ‘83 Honda CB-1000c. They’re really handy when you want to hop off for a few seconds. I remember in the old days when a motorcycle or scooter wouldn’t trigger a stoplight, so I’d toss the bike on the side stand to walk over and press the pedestrian crossing button. I also have a gate on my driveway, which we keep closed because we have a dog. I use the side stand daily to toss the GTV into while I open the gate, and close it behind me. I’ve never had a bike fall over from using the side stand yet. I guess it’s possible, but you’d have to be pretty careless to make that happen. At least, in my opinion.

Still, the center stand on a Vespa doesn’t take much to lever it up. As others have said. Good advice throughout the linked videos, and members.
Ossessionato
GTS 250ie
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:42 am quote
Stand next to the bike on the left side.

Hold the handlebar with your left hand and put your right hand on the grab handle. Push the stand down with your right foot. Gently rock the bike side to side until you feel both sides of the stand are touching the ground.

Then just put your weight on the stand, it will lift itself, your hands are just guiding the bike onto the stand, you don't need to lift.

It takes zero strength if you make sure the stand is firmly down on both sides.

Get a friend to stay with you as you practice 5 or 6 times. Once you feel it working, you'll definitely have it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:22 pm quote
biffnix wrote:
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
I’ve always ridden bikes with side stands, including pretty big machines, like my old ‘83 Honda CB-1000c. They’re really handy when you want to hop off for a few seconds. I remember in the old days when a motorcycle or scooter wouldn’t trigger a stoplight, so I’d toss the bike on the side stand to walk over and press the pedestrian crossing button. I also have a gate on my driveway, which we keep closed because we have a dog. I use the side stand daily to toss the GTV into while I open the gate, and close it behind me. I’ve never had a bike fall over from using the side stand yet. I guess it’s possible, but you’d have to be pretty careless to make that happen. At least, in my opinion.

Still, the center stand on a Vespa doesn’t take much to lever it up. As others have said. Good advice throughout the linked videos, and members.
I think it is people not understanding you have to park on level or just nose up ground and have the handle bars the right direction.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:11 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Yes, you can get a side stand put on and I do have one on my 2017 GTV. Be warned though that the side stand is NOT nearly as stable as the centre stand.
Scooters jump off side stands on the internet, not the real world. (Now someone will come up with a story off the internet about that one person who.... and if you read other posts by or about the person who...., you usually find that they had a plethora of bad experiences with common everyday objects). We rented Vespas with side stands for years, and didn't have one fail the whole time. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. It just means that in four years of renting Vespas to tourists, we never saw it. We put the side stands on so people wouldn't drop the bike trying to put it on the center stand, which did happen.
My current g/f weighs about 115 lbs, and if she had to use the center stand all the time, she wouldn't ride.
Sure, it's good to be able to get it up, on the center stand or otherwise, and not that hard if you've been doing it since Methuselah was a kid, etc, etc..., but it's even better to know that when you get wherever you want to go, you are going to be able to park the bike. That way you are more comfortable riding, and you ride more. And by riding more you become a better rider.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:29 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Yes, you can get a side stand put on and I do have one on my 2017 GTV. Be warned though that the side stand is NOT nearly as stable as the centre stand.
Scooters jump off side stands on the internet, not the real world. (Now someone will come up with a story off the internet about that one person who.... and if you read other posts by or about the person who...., you usually find that they had a plethora of bad experiences with common everyday objects). We rented Vespas with side stands for years, and didn't have one fail the whole time. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. It just means that in four years of renting Vespas to tourists, we never saw it. We put the side stands on so people wouldn't drop the bike trying to put it on the center stand, which did happen.
My current g/f weighs about 115 lbs, and if she had to use the center stand all the time, she wouldn't ride.
Sure, it's good to be able to get it up, on the center stand or otherwise, and not that hard if you've been doing it since Methuselah was a kid, etc, etc..., but it's even better to know that when you get wherever you want to go, you are going to be able to park the bike. That way you are more comfortable riding, and you ride more. And by riding more you become a better rider.
Agreed if it means they ride more it's a good thing. On the 300s at least the side stand sure as hell does not feel all that stable. On my BMW it's rock solid on the Vespa it just feels like a balancing act. The one other thing to remember is if the side stand is not connected to a kill switch and you forget to pop it up that first left hand turn can be a doozy. I have a Piaggio stand on my 2017 GTV and there is no kill switch hook up.
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:45 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
The one other thing to remember is if the side stand is not connected to a kill switch and you forget to pop it up that first left hand turn can be a doozy. I have a Piaggio stand on my 2017 GTV and there is no kill switch hook up.
I have a stock mfg. kickstand on my 2011 GTV, and it is spring-loaded to pop up once you straighten the bike. Is the Piaggio stand no longer spring-loaded to retract on the 2017 models?

On my CB-1000, the kickstand had a little rubber bit that stuck out so when you took off with it still down, if you leaned left, the rubber bit would hit the ground first, and flip up the kickstand. Of course, if you leaned too far, too quickly, the kickstand would contact the ground and give you a happy wake-up jolt!
Hooked
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:37 am quote
In my opinion the center stand problems are caused by the lack of confidence in handling the bike. I'm not talking about handing the bike when sitting on the bike or riding the bike, I'm talking about handling it while standing next to it. The video below shows one of the first exercises participant of BMW Off-Road training camp had to learn and that was handling big 1200 GS bike with one hand while walking around the bike. You don't have to watch entire video, just fast-forward to 2:42 to see what I mean. Anyone who master this exercise will have no problem putting bike on center stand.
[/url]
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:44 am quote
biffnix wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
The one other thing to remember is if the side stand is not connected to a kill switch and you forget to pop it up that first left hand turn can be a doozy. I have a Piaggio stand on my 2017 GTV and there is no kill switch hook up.
I have a stock mfg. kickstand on my 2011 GTV, and it is spring-loaded to pop up once you straighten the bike. Is the Piaggio stand no longer spring-loaded to retract on the 2017 models?

On my CB-1000, the kickstand had a little rubber bit that stuck out so when you took off with it still down, if you leaned left, the rubber bit would hit the ground first, and flip up the kickstand. Of course, if you leaned too far, too quickly, the kickstand would contact the ground and give you a happy wake-up jolt!
Yes Piaggio no longer has the spring loaded side stand on the Vespa. Newer models have it wired in to the kill switch. So while my scoot could fit the stand there was no way to wire it up.
Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:46 am quote
I have to say, I got a bv 350 not long ago and after failing to get the thing off the center stand (and yes, dropping it the first time I tried), I decided to have peace of mind over "damn it all to hell I'm gonna get this if I have to drop it a million more times!" mentality. -So I use the side stand. Every time. And it's never an issue. Good luck.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:32 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Agreed if it means they ride more it's a good thing. On the 300s at least the side stand sure as hell does not feel all that stable. On my BMW it's rock solid on the Vespa it just feels like a balancing act. The one other thing to remember is if the side stand is not connected to a kill switch and you forget to pop it up that first left hand turn can be a doozy. I have a Piaggio stand on my 2017 GTV and there is no kill switch hook up.
Never had a kill switch on my old bikes with side stands. You forget to put it up, you'll know when you take your first left turn, and then it will be up too on it's own. Like an automatic side stand with a bump to let you know you screwed up.

Wayne B
Addicted
2016 Sprint S 150 (his), 2016 Sprint 150 Blu Gaiola (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Excalibur Gray (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Black (his)
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:08 pm quote
If I was not in RI on vacation I would ride up from Rutland VT to demonstrate the technique. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy. My wife does it with her GTS 250
Lurker
LXV 150
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:34 am quote
My girlfriend can get her scooter up on the center stand pretty easily. Her challenge is getting back off the center stand. Her legs are too short to sit on the scooter and push it off. She has to stand on the side and push the handle bar and rear grab bar.
Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 am quote
57 Staf et al
THIS is exactly my issue. No problem getting it ON the center stand. Helluvatime getting it off.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:17 am quote
I have an older P200, and I don't have the extra leverage "arm" on my center stand like in the video above.

I put my foot (right foot) behind the centerstand (standing to the left of the scoot). Pull handlebars back, use my knee against the cowl, one hand on the seat to push the scoot back and up.

Take the scoot down similar, standing next to the left side. Not nearly tall enough to touch the ground while astride the scoot on the stand.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 pm quote
biffnix wrote:
I remember in the old days when a motorcycle or scooter wouldn’t trigger a stoplight, so I’d toss the bike on the side stand to walk over and press the pedestrian crossing button.
What's neat now is that with some of the stoplight and left turn signal switches that are buried, you can trigger them by putting the side stand down and leaning the bike on it. That's probably the main thing I use it for.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1507s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0373s) ][ Debug on ]