1963 Sportique - thoughts?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Sportique
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:20 am quote
Hi all,
I'm new here, I used to ride a PX125 back in the early 2000s and I loved it. I miss that bike but hey, life happens.
Yesterday, I went to see a Vespa Sportique (VBB2T) and I need to make a decision on it.

Here it is on ebay.

The chap doesn't have paperwork for the restoration, which is why I'm nervous.
The exhaust is a very good stainless performance model, and the engine is taken from a T5, both of which point to it being a UK resto job.

The paintwork is really good and everything else is tidy, starts first time, sounds lovely.

Question is, am I right to be nervous about this bike or does it look genuine?

(also, I'm aware it's pretty bling and not to everyone's taste but hey, it looks pretty fun!)
[/url]
Sportique
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:12 am quote
I've run the reg through an Experian report and the chassis number comes up as VBB2T-166059
Am i right in thinking that this would indicate it was built in Italy, and not actually a Douglas model?
Hooked
'65 Sprint 177
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:22 am quote
Id be nervous...very nervous.

Theres so much fur coat and jewellery on there its hard to tell if the old girls even wearing knickers:-)

Covered foot wells...always a worry...take a definite look under there

Id think that would be the price for an excellent original condition one with original engine. It just seems too...well just too...euchh
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:33 am quote
I always check seller rating on ebay.
He's at 100%.
So if it's crap, it'd be the first time in nearly 1500 transactions.
Look it over. Seller may not know what to look for.
O.S.
Addicted
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:57 am quote
Second photo has a Honda ignition switch below the seat. pile on a sweet 10” wheel conversion, floor mat, 10” black centerstand. Bike began as a VN “restoration.”

If you want a 10” bike in that era, look for GL or GS.
Sportique
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:08 am quote
thanks so far.

Under the mats was perfect. From what he tells me, he' s had the bike for 2 years, it reminded him of his first original Sportique in the 60's but now he's had a heart bypass and is regrettably selling. He's ridden it less than a handful of times in that time, but has turned it over regularly to inhale the fumes.

He had the backrest custom made locally, and the front accessory bar was his work. He explained to me that he mounted it too high to begin with meaning that the flyscreen hit his decorations. He remounted it leaving 2 holes which he's covered with the little pin badges.

Looking through his ebay history, I think he fitted the Jag Lights too.
Enthusiast
GS150, LI200, TX200, PX125, T5200, SX200, PX125 CUTDOWN
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:29 am quote
whaddya gonna use it for bud? touring? rallys? wazzing about town with the local scooter club? commuting? that will help you decide what to go for.
are you gonna maintain yourself? or use local shop? etc etc

PXs are much cheaper/reliable and easier to work on / get parts etc etc.

There are lots of straight 1960s 150s on ebay - 2000 to 3000 grand, a few GS160s also on at 6000ish....

enjoy......
Sportique
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:51 am quote
I'll be using it on dry, sunny days only! I used to commute everywhere on my PX 15 years ago, hailstorms in an open face helmet were a low point! I want something a bit older now, something a bit more rounded than the PX.

Small local runs with a local scooter club I think. I used to enjoy riding with a few mates, chrome sparkling in the sun. The odd run to work, or trip down the coast.

£3-3.5k is my limit, so I can't stretch to a GS unfortunately.
I'm going to let this one pass I think, there's just too much that I'm unhappy about. And if i came to sell it in the future then I wouldn't have answers to important questions.

I'll stay patient for now and keep my eyes open.
Hooked
'65 Sprint 177
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 am quote
Hey Dave,

I think that's probably a wise move. That's a very specific beast with a fair bit of unknown history (although most are these days) at the top end and beyond of its price range...

Daybreaker speaks sense about understanding the difference between a relatively new PX 15 years ago....and a 60 year old pensioner Vespa from the early 60's. They will rarely be as trouble free as a PX or P, but I do understand you wanting the rounder shape. I did! but it took me a whole lot of lost weekends before I could call her reliable!

Good luck.

Kevin
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:25 am quote
It's a nice scoot, if you want the uber Mod look, and if it really was built in Bristol by Douglas, it's highly unlikely that it spent any time in South East Asia. The ignition switch is possibly just a poor choice by a previous owner, rather than a sign of it being a Vietnamese resto.

If it is a genuine Sportique (gold was used for the Grand Luxe version), I'd want it's factory engine on the shelf, even if I ran it with the excellent T5 motor.
Vespa 152l2
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:41 am quote
It is not a genuine Sportique, Douglas imported Denfield Seats from Germany with the helmet hook on the seat. This has the helmet hook on the frame. Therefore definitely a Vespa of Italian origin. That is the first thing I can see. Sportique have other unique British features.
Check out to other genuine sportiques here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vespa+sportique&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS804US804&sxsrf=ACYBGNQu9XBBYxWIPJYQCewwi-k11V-f3w:1565188812447&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYibDZ_vDjAhVRn-AKHVS7AT4Q_AUIESgC&biw=1680&bih=939#imgrc=PxJt96F17xodiM:
Sportique
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 am quote
swa45: Yeah there's no original engine included in the sale unfortunately.

fraggle: The PX I had was straight out of the showroom, I didn't have to do anything more than change tyres and spark plugs in the years I had it!
So now I'd like something that's almost as low maintenance, PX/T5 engine in an old body maybe, ideally with a bit of added oomph to pull away at roundabouts nice and sharp..

My chief worry about the bike, at this price, is that even if it gives me no problems whilst I own it, when I come to sell it the buyer may well have the same concerns that I have now and I'll be unable to convince them that the bike is actually sound.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 pm quote
Maybe it's just all that chrome bolted on there but I'm suspicious and it seems like a lot of that £3,325.00 is paying for chrome. More of a collector bike if genuine IMO. But after looking at the listing, I saw this Sprint with 10" wheels that seems more like a rider and would get you as many eyeballs as that 'Sportique' . It's about half the money w/ a full rebuild & seller has other old Vespas as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGNAL-PIAGGIO-VESPA-SPRINT-150-FULLY-UK-RESTORED-AND-POWDER-COATED-IN-RAT-LOOK/312723010516
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:12 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
Maybe it's just all that chrome bolted on there but I'm suspicious and it seems like a lot of that £3,325.00 is paying for chrome. More of a collector bike if genuine IMO. But after looking at the listing, I saw this Sprint with 10" wheels that seems more like a rider and would get you as many eyeballs as that 'Sportique' . It's about half the money w/ a full rebuild & seller has other old Vespas as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGNAL-PIAGGIO-VESPA-SPRINT-150-FULLY-UK-RESTORED-AND-POWDER-COATED-IN-RAT-LOOK/312723010516
De-bodged-bodge... check out that side cover!
Sportique
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:58 am quote
Thanks all, I've stepped back from the Sportique.

That Sprint looks fun. Although at £1800 currently with 11 bids & reserve not met, I wonder how much it will fetch.
It's a bit too far for me to travel for it which will stop me from bidding on it.

However, there's a chap selling a PX125 less than a mile down the road from me that I might go and take a look at.
The one I had back in the early 2000s had a 12v battery on the spare wheel side and a front disc brake, but this one says its the non-battery/disc model. I didn't know there was one.

I'm talking my way out of this one now too!
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Molto Verboso

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:25 am quote
Somehow that Vespa Sportique ebay seller even bodged the Moon Eyes sticker placement on the flyscreen.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1901s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0526s) ][ Debug on ]