Went for my longest ride today
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Enthusiast
Vespa Primavera 150 (2019)/Mp3 Sport 500 HPE (2019)
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Posts: 66
Location: New Jersey
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:25 am quote
Drove 90 miles round trip. Was going to a dentist by my Wife's office so I decided to ride.


I hit a bunch of stop and go traffic on the way up (Rush Hour) and the people on the Garden State Parkway I swear are trying to kill you.

But all in all a good ride. I did notice I seem to go through a lot of gas. i'd be surprised if I got 40 mpg

IMG_20190911_085414.jpg
MP3 in Montville NJ

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21412
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm quote
hell that not even long enough for a good lunch ride.

for me a bakery ride is 200 mile loop.
Enthusiast
Vespa Primavera 150 (2019)/Mp3 Sport 500 HPE (2019)
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Posts: 66
Location: New Jersey
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 pm quote
I am still new to this. Most of my rides have been local around the shore area in Jersey.

Working up to bigger longer rides.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5731
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 pm quote
Finn wrote:
I am still new to this. Most of my rides have been local around the shore area in Jersey.

Working up to bigger longer rides.
Good luck and keep at it. Yeah 90 miles is nothing especially with a CVT... But a good starting point. A good test is to just go out for a good ride until you almost run out of gas then fill up and turn around. It's pretty much what I do with new bikes to get used to them. 500 CC's should give you plenty of power to move with the freeway crowd. Hell I just did the freeway for 2 hours today in a 750CC Russian sidecar rig and I can guarantee your bike is faster and handles better...
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2238
Location: Starfleet Command, South Eastern HQ, UK
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:53 pm quote
I notice your bike is a 2019 so it's probably still not broken in properly. You may know, but your engine will still be 'tight' and won't give it's best mpg or power just yet. It takes around 5-10k miles (depending on how it's ridden) before it's properly conformed, that's the process that occurs after the initial break in period. So don't worry about gas mileage just yet. It'll be fine.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1180
Location: Central New York
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 am quote
Finn wrote:
I am still new to this. Most of my rides have been local around the shore area in Jersey.

Working up to bigger longer rides.
Good to see you getting out and riding, the more you ride the more you will want to ride!

As for the car drivers being out to get you just keep that in mind and watch out.

Besides may dad always said the cars with Jersey plate on them were the ones to keep an eye one up here in Central NY!
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3994
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 am quote
Sounds great, Finn!

Stop-and-go freeway riding is rough on mileage. During the "stop" part you are getting zero miles to the gallon. It's too bad you can't split lanes in New Jersey.
Enthusiast
Vespa Primavera 150 (2019)/Mp3 Sport 500 HPE (2019)
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Posts: 66
Location: New Jersey
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:32 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
Sounds great, Finn!

Stop-and-go freeway riding is rough on mileage. During the "stop" part you are getting zero miles to the gallon. It's too bad you can't split lanes in New Jersey.
Cars seem to think they can split lanes. But that is a different story.
Member
2020 Piaggio MP3 500 hpe
Joined: 07 May 2019
Posts: 23
Location: Midwestern USA
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 am quote
miss lane-sharing...
My first two fill-ups on my MP3 500 sport hpe have come out to 55 mpg, as advertised. This is doing street stop and go plus regional highways to 65 mph. I have not yet done the extended interstate driving I plan to do in the future since the engine is still being broken in and going 80 mph for ~20 miles is probably not the best choice. I may try that once before the first service and oil change at ~650 miles, just to check for other issues. I ride to spice up my long commute, so I typically drive or ride about 75 miles per day.

I had my first MP3 and put most of its miles on in it CA. I miss lane sharing so much in the midwest, I almost didn’t get another ride. I wish it were legal everywhere.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21412
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am quote
Re: miss lane-sharing...
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
My first two fill-ups on my MP3 500 sport hpe have come out to 55 mpg, as advertised. This is doing street stop and go plus regional highways to 65 mph. I have not yet done the extended interstate driving I plan to do in the future since the engine is still being broken in and going 80 mph for ~20 miles is probably not the best choice. I may try that once before the first service and oil change at ~650 miles, just to check for other issues. I ride to spice up my long commute, so I typically drive or ride about 75 miles per day.

I had my first MP3 and put most of its miles on in it CA. I miss lane sharing so much in the midwest, I almost didn’t get another ride. I wish it were legal everywhere.
you can throttle it up to 80+ just don't hold it there, keep the speed variable at any speed for the first couple hundred miles, run it up and down.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 3806
Location: San Diego, California
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:36 pm quote
San Diego to Twenty Nine Palms and back. Left at 5am got home at 9pm. 550mile day.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21412
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:19 am quote
14perry wrote:
San Diego to Twenty Nine Palms and back. Left at 5am got home at 9pm. 550mile day.
that's a good days ride, plus
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1449s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0275s) ][ Debug on ]