Bodgespotting
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...868788Next
Author Message
Hooked
1986 T5,
Joined: 30 Oct 2014
Posts: 453
Location: Oak Brook, Illinois
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:15 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
It might be real. I can't quite tell from the pictures they posted. Headset seems off (it should be a trapezoid or smller than that).

I'm pretty certain, it's been resprayed at some point; the cowl guards are scooterworks imports, not original; wrong tail light; probably re-pop cowls with aftermarket turn signals, but a VBB-style switch plate on the headset and no lefthand horn/hi-lo; tail light replaced, too. It should have a tractor light.

The mudguard looks like it's off a P; seems like it's wider than a Sprint mudguard.

Even if it's legit, it's worth nowhere near three grand. Even here in the midwest, where sprints & supers are super-expensive for some reason, that bike would go for around $2k.

All-in-all, I'd definitely keep right on walking past that one.
I want mine to look like that! Body work and paint are expensive, but from here that scooter looks pretty nice. But not for $3000.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7404
Location: seattle/athens
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:33 pm quote
I got a So Cal trifecta here and I LOVE the pic & ad copy on the last one as well as the somewhat more ?realistic price? which still seems nuts given the unusually frank ad copy.



Only $5500 and only 676 miles plus " runs, in good condition... Custom paint job."



For only six grand this one is a lot fancier and improper black booties too.



But I'm holding out for this lil pink beauty at ONLY $2800 and an honest ad in addition to the enchanting pic! She(the scoot) looks pretty good to me considering...
Quote:
This awesome looking Vespa runs and would be great for store display or film/photo prop - it does shift and seems rideable but will have to be gone through by a mechanic and deemed safe if that is your intention as it appears to be a South-Asian restore which are seldom up to par.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 177
Location: Long Beach, CA
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 am quote
That black and yellow has been listed for sale foEVA.

I'll take the pink lady as a package deal
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Location: York, PA
Member
1964 V9A1T
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Posts: 10
Location: Tucson Az
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 am quote
Original papers and authentication.!
Hooked
PX 150
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 327
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 am quote
And only 112 miles on it in 52 years!!! That scooter really is, uh, something unique.
Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 388
Location: US
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:31 pm quote
sjashe wrote:
Original papers and authentication.!
LOL, is that the one with handwriting?
Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200E, 1965 Allstate
Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 64
Location: Claremont, CA
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:13 am quote
The Holy Grail?
Only 10 grand...

Capture.JPG

Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2880
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am quote
apex wrote:
...And only 112 miles on it in 52 years!!! That scooter really is, uh, something unique.
"Beautiful Vintage 1967 Vespa Spirit with 2 helmets."

Note the bicycle helmet in the spare tire rack.
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Joined: 04 May 2010
Posts: 4228
Location: Sedgwick, Kansas
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am quote
sjashe wrote:
Original papers and authentication.!
Yeah. I don't have that for any of my scooters. Guess that makes them not worth as much.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Location: Florida, USA
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 am quote
Total bodge or better than average?
Seems like a good restoration to me....worth it or too good to be true?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Vespa-VBC-Super-150-fully-restored-free-shipping-with-BUY-IT-NOW/333398810415?hash=item4da01e1f2f:g:wHQAAOSw7iZdzpxz
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1910
Location: North Jersey
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 am quote
Re: Total bodge or better than average?
“SaiGon”
Payment by bank wire.
Zero eBay feedback in past 12 months.
You gotta have it shipped from Vietnam to Florida and then to your address.

Not saying it’s a scam, but I wouldn’t touch it.
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 4074
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:15 am quote
Why anybody, anybody, would buy something this expensive from someone they don't know because it is so easy to just touch the "buy now" button is beyond my understanding. Unfortunately, I just met a guy that did just this, though it was from an American importer. I was selling a GT200 for a guy whose scoots I work on occasionally and the buyer of said GT200 wanted to show me pictures of his "vintage" 1964 Vespa Super. This scoot had every bodgy chrome adornment possible hung on it. It ran 20 miles before quitting. I did not want to burst his fascination with it, so I pointed him towards a few articles to read about bodges. A crying shame, I think he paid over $4K for it.
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 3842
Location: Millbin, Ostrayleea, mate
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:43 pm quote
Re: Total bodge or better than average?
LOOKS good... looks like the same pic they used 10yr ago!

Just think... if there have been so many parts removed (ie pretty much everything besides the frame & engine cases) don't you wonder how shit it was to start with.?

Re; "new crews & nuts"...
The "NEW" they keep talking about are merely the English translation of their workers names: Nguyen, Nyguyen, Ruan, Yuen, and Yuan.
Hooked
‘64 V90 survivor, ‘75 V90 graffiti
Joined: 30 May 2018
Posts: 186
Location: Madison WI
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:30 pm quote
Saw this today when I was looking for clubs.
https://psvintagevespa.com/about-vintage-vespas
Seems they don’t want you using them. Just good for a prop!
Shiny picture to go with it.

FE48F2A9-1D56-4711-B056-6C91A3BE7C89.jpeg

Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 388
Location: US
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 am quote
dam that's a lot of money wasted but I guess it's fine for the purpose.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Location: Florida, USA
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:44 pm quote
Re: Real Sprint Veloce?
oopsclunkthud wrote:
sp949 wrote:
What do you experts say?

If a real one, is the asking price in the ball park?


https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1123233391398456/
I'm not seeing any of the same errors as others in this one.

it's a US market bike with smaller headlight and auto-lube, so not bodge out of SEA.

front fender is correct, cowls seem to have signals or reflectors on the back but no other indication they have been messed with.

the rear crash bars are vintage vigano (note how they don't attach to the cowl, they actually work). as a '72 the switch is correct for the US market.

agree that the tail light is wrong, this would have had the round tuna can tail light. But in the '80s it was common ditch the US taillight. maybe the original is in the box of parts.

speaking of box of parts, the correct rear seat mounting plate is in there as well as a vintage vigano rear spare holder.

Is it worth 3000? for some.
Well, I contacted the seller, and he sent me the attached pictures. Please take a look and evaluate, if you will, this potential deal.....;I am about 2 hors away and would like to go and look at it, but I would first like a second opinion from the esteemed experts on this forum.

Sprint1.jpg

Sprint2.jpg

Sprint3.jpg

Sprint4.jpg

Sprint5.jpg

Sprint6.jpg

Sprint7.jpg

Sprint8.jpg

Sprint9.jpg

Sprint10.jpg

Sprint11.jpg

Sprint12.jpg

Sprint13.jpg

Addicted
2016 Sprint S 150 (his), 2016 Sprint 150 Blu Gaiola (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Excalibur Gray (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Black (his)
Joined: 21 Oct 2016
Posts: 687
Location: Vermont
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 am quote
Opinions on this one:

https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d/vergennes-vespa-1962-vintage-125cc/7012489990.html

Been for sale since the summer.

Capture.JPG

Addicted
GL, PK, PE200, Rustbadge
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 714
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:57 am quote
The white sprint and the red Allstate do not look like an Asian import bodge.
Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7477
Location: San Francisco
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:14 am quote
Re: Real Sprint Veloce?
sp949 wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
sp949 wrote:
What do you experts say?

If a real one, is the asking price in the ball park?


https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1123233391398456/
I'm not seeing any of the same errors as others in this one.

it's a US market bike with smaller headlight and auto-lube, so not bodge out of SEA.

front fender is correct, cowls seem to have signals or reflectors on the back but no other indication they have been messed with.

the rear crash bars are vintage vigano (note how they don't attach to the cowl, they actually work). as a '72 the switch is correct for the US market.

agree that the tail light is wrong, this would have had the round tuna can tail light. But in the '80s it was common ditch the US taillight. maybe the original is in the box of parts.

speaking of box of parts, the correct rear seat mounting plate is in there as well as a vintage vigano rear spare holder.

Is it worth 3000? for some.
Well, I contacted the seller, and he sent me the attached pictures. Please take a look and evaluate, if you will, this potential deal.....;I am about 2 hors away and would like to go and look at it, but I would first like a second opinion from the esteemed experts on this forum.
What I'm seeing in the pictures (in order numbering the pictures even the duplicate)

1. all looks correct for US oil injected bike, no sign of overspray on any of the trim, so likely original paint. Center stand has likely been replaced based on it being black

2. cowl looks good, rubber looks original, crash bars are correctly mounted and even looks to have the triangular thumb screws holding the rear.

3. slotted screws on tank that would hold the rear rack (that was in the box of parts) are original and a nice touch as they fit in a small hole on the rack. the turn signals are obviously not original, same for the tail light. left cowl fits really well, but right has a bit of gap, pin at back may be bent/missing.

4. nothing but goodness here

5. 6. personal thing, I hate chrome rims. I would have expected some holes in the fender for reflector, may have been replaced or painted

7. speedo is correct, looks like there may be some touchup in the paint on the headset but good otherwise

8. aluminum legshield trim looks great, badges all correct, even the screws on the horn are correct. there looks to be paint over the rivets for the vin badge and floor runners indicating some touchup to the paint. levers are not original but have had the post for the front brake light switch added, someone cares about function (a good thing).

9. same comments as 2

10. wow! even has the aluminum screws that plug the spare tire rack mount.

11. again the fender may have been replaced, no holes for reflectors and the spot welds on the support are a bit pronounced. paint on rivets as noted in 8

12. switch is correct to year/market, black grips and dogleg levers not original but also not a bad thing.

13. scooterhelp puts this as a 74 sprint veloce engine, (would not be a bad thing) but could be correct as well, scooterhelp could be wrong here. in any case engine markings look fine, not messed with.

all in all looks like a solid well cared for and mostly original bike to me.
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 4074
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:43 am quote
wbdvt wrote:
It's been on sale that long because it is over priced for the location. BUT it is a cool scoot there and if it is a 62 VNB. that would be a 125cc, three speed scoot that would be a fun city bike. It is not totally original, but given the age, it's somewhat expected. It would be nice to have a pic of the lower fork, front shock/spring area to make sure it is not an Allstate.
Addicted
2016 Sprint S 150 (his), 2016 Sprint 150 Blu Gaiola (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Excalibur Gray (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Black (his)
Joined: 21 Oct 2016
Posts: 687
Location: Vermont
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:20 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
wbdvt wrote:
It's been on sale that long because it is over priced for the location. BUT it is a cool scoot there and if it is a 62 VNB. that would be a 125cc, three speed scoot that would be a fun city bike. It is not totally original, but given the age, it's somewhat expected. It would be nice to have a pic of the lower fork, front shock/spring area to make sure it is not an Allstate.
Well, next time I pass by the shop it is in, I will stop and get some detailed pics. What is a fair price?
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 4074
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:44 pm quote
Fair? Around here it would be about $1200 or so. Running, with clean title.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Location: Florida, USA
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:27 pm quote
Re: Real Sprint Veloce?
oopsclunkthud wrote:
sp949 wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
sp949 wrote:
What do you experts say?

If a real one, is the asking price in the ball park?


https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1123233391398456/
I'm not seeing any of the same errors as others in this one.

it's a US market bike with smaller headlight and auto-lube, so not bodge out of SEA.

front fender is correct, cowls seem to have signals or reflectors on the back but no other indication they have been messed with.

the rear crash bars are vintage vigano (note how they don't attach to the cowl, they actually work). as a '72 the switch is correct for the US market.

agree that the tail light is wrong, this would have had the round tuna can tail light. But in the '80s it was common ditch the US taillight. maybe the original is in the box of parts.

speaking of box of parts, the correct rear seat mounting plate is in there as well as a vintage vigano rear spare holder.

Is it worth 3000? for some.
Well, I contacted the seller, and he sent me the attached pictures. Please take a look and evaluate, if you will, this potential deal.....;I am about 2 hors away and would like to go and look at it, but I would first like a second opinion from the esteemed experts on this forum.
What I'm seeing in the pictures (in order numbering the pictures even the duplicate)

1. all looks correct for US oil injected bike, no sign of overspray on any of the trim, so likely original paint. Center stand has likely been replaced based on it being black

2. cowl looks good, rubber looks original, crash bars are correctly mounted and even looks to have the triangular thumb screws holding the rear.

3. slotted screws on tank that would hold the rear rack (that was in the box of parts) are original and a nice touch as they fit in a small hole on the rack. the turn signals are obviously not original, same for the tail light. left cowl fits really well, but right has a bit of gap, pin at back may be bent/missing.

4. nothing but goodness here

5. 6. personal thing, I hate chrome rims. I would have expected some holes in the fender for reflector, may have been replaced or painted

7. speedo is correct, looks like there may be some touchup in the paint on the headset but good otherwise

8. aluminum legshield trim looks great, badges all correct, even the screws on the horn are correct. there looks to be paint over the rivets for the vin badge and floor runners indicating some touchup to the paint. levers are not original but have had the post for the front brake light switch added, someone cares about function (a good thing).

9. same comments as 2

10. wow! even has the aluminum screws that plug the spare tire rack mount.

11. again the fender may have been replaced, no holes for reflectors and the spot welds on the support are a bit pronounced. paint on rivets as noted in 8

12. switch is correct to year/market, black grips and dogleg levers not original but also not a bad thing.

13. scooterhelp puts this as a 74 sprint veloce engine, (would not be a bad thing) but could be correct as well, scooterhelp could be wrong here. in any case engine markings look fine, not messed with.

all in all looks like a solid well cared for and mostly original bike to me.
Thank You!
Your insight and attention to details is exactly what I was looking for, and confirms what I was hoping. The seller says it has a clear title and everything works. The only other thing I want to check with him is the actual frame VIN. Not sure if it is supposed to be the same as the serial number on the placard, which shows just the number, without the VLB1T prefix. And the seller says that the $ 3000 price is negotiable. This might end up as a good deal, if we agree on the price.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7404
Location: seattle/athens
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:49 pm quote


That's a nice Sprint, old paint w/ script badge and autolube plus lo miles. Somebody cared enuff to not put the cheesiest accessories on it. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you can get it and your PX will become your backup ride.
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Location: York, PA
Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 388
Location: US
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:02 am quote
Re: Real Sprint Veloce?
sp949 wrote:
Thank You!
Your insight and attention to details is exactly what I was looking for, and confirms what I was hoping. The seller says it has a clear title and everything works. The only other thing I want to check with him is the actual frame VIN. Not sure if it is supposed to be the same as the serial number on the placard, which shows just the number, without the VLB1T prefix. And the seller says that the $ 3000 price is negotiable. This might end up as a good deal, if we agree on the price.
Place card # should be the same as the # under the glove box cowl above the exhaust tip. No doubt this one is the US import model. Just weird that it has unicorn tail-light but you can switch it back to the correct tail light which is the tuna can type one. If you can get it for 2500, it would be great.
Lurker
VNA VBB VBC VLX
Joined: 27 Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Location: Honolulu
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7404
Location: seattle/athens
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:38 pm quote
Are you secretly attracted to the shiny bits
as found on this fresh beauty?

But why pay over $4000 when you can get an old American bike that somebody has added some fancy accessories for you already and it's only $2200?
Not quite Deal o' the Day, but looks kinda bodgey and somebody might want a solid bodge wannabe. I like it, has autolube, nice paint that looks like it could be original and looks lo mile too.
Also, it's not mine, but it's a Super w/ papers and it's still on eights

Bend Oregon, https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/d/bend-1974-vespavintage-original/7011898743.html
Lurker
Vespa PX 150
Joined: 16 Sep 2019
Posts: 3
Location: Skopje
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:15 am quote
What do you think about this GS 150 Augsburg?

0515870.JPG

0515869.JPG

0515868.JPG

0515867.JPG

0515866.JPG

0515862.JPG

0515864.JPG

0515865.JPG

0515863.JPG

0515861.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7404
Location: seattle/athens
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:05 pm quote
Bodge not and EXPENSIVE? What is the price?

I do like that bird!

Lurker
Vespa PX 150
Joined: 16 Sep 2019
Posts: 3
Location: Skopje
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm quote
3000 euros
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7404
Location: seattle/athens
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:37 pm quote
Probably a pretty good deal, assuming it's as legit as it appears to be, and is in good condition underneath, motor, fork etc . Is that for sale in FYROM(Macedonia)?

Here's a '63 GL just south of you for the same price, and that GS is worth more: https://www.car.gr/21306088-vespa-150-gl-gl150



Similar sticker too, but I do not like that bodgey chrome leggy trim, should be aluminum for a GL!
If you look at the GS , check to see if the leggy trim is original stainless(inox).
Enthusiast
Joined: 14 Jun 2016
Posts: 91
Location: Macedonia
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm quote
Nice GL there Vodoo, but it can not be imported.

I guess you didnt notice the description (horis hartia) it has no papers.
Lurker
Vespa PX 150
Joined: 16 Sep 2019
Posts: 3
Location: Skopje
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm quote
It is for sale in Denmark with german papers, but I want to import it in North Macedonia (ex FYROM and ex Macedonia )

I will go to see it in person, I am not sure about the story and if it is real or some scam.

Thanks for the answers!

BTW I will ask about the bird if u want it

Best regards.
Vlatko
Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A
Joined: 12 Sep 2014
Posts: 660

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm quote
Re: Are you secretly attracted to the shiny bits
V oodoo wrote:
But why pay over $4000 when you can get an old American bike...?
That's what I'm saying.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Location: Florida, USA
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm quote
E-Bay Sprint
What do you all think about this Sprint V?


https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Vespa-Sprint-150-V-150cc-2-stroke-Vintage-4-speed-Rare-Runs-Great-Classic/254440282673?hash=item3b3dd29a31:g:8B4AAOSwihtd0J4U

What I see from the pictures is that the repainted Green may not be quite the official green, as it appears to be metallic. And, of course the brown P-series brown seat cover that does not fit well. Also, I see the left side of the stand does not touch the ground, suggesting either a bent stand, or worse, a twisted floor pan.
The scooter has already failed to meet reserve with only 2 bids and so far not too much interest in it, either. What do you all think it is really worth?
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 4074
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm quote
Well, obviously a Euro scoot, with the ugliest color I have ever seen. It could all be legit, but I would rather have a US spec scoot with the auto lube. I just don't care for shiny, shiny scoots. But that's just me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7404
Location: seattle/athens
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm quote
Exactly! That $5K buy it now price would buy such a NICE minty original Sprint, but with old paint not quite so shiny. If you can get it for half of that AND the mechanicals are 100%, permission granted if you can just smudge it up a bit please.


Seat looks like ass, so you gotta change that and please replace leggy trim w/ correct aluminum, tnx.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7404
Location: seattle/athens
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm quote
a lovely Super a while back... maybe even a one piece body!
Back to real BODGES w/ a perfect example of that beautiful classic Vespa just few years down the road. So it's now discounted to only $1750!
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/d/everett-1962-vespa-sport/7030400220.html

sad
Quote:
...This little scooter needs some TLC. Mostly body work as shown in the pictures. It has been sitting for a while. Will start up (w/ some fluid sprayed into the carbs) won’t stay running, needs a good home. ...
cringe




Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...868788Next
[ Time: 0.2285s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0851s) ][ Debug on ]