Any Mp3 riders in Nebraska?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Member
Mp3 500
Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Location: Nebraska
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:43 am quote
I bought a 2019 Mp3 500ie this year, back in August. I bought it in Iowa City, IA at University Scooters, near the campus of the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Funny, born and bred Nebraska Cornhusker traveling to Hawkeye territory to buy an Italian scooter!

It was the closest place that I could find that even had an Mp3 500. Went there to test drive it and fell in love with it.

Just wondering if there are any other Piaggio MP3 owners/riders located in or around Nebraska?

Looks like I will have to trailer my Mp3 to Wichita, KS to get it serviced for the first time. That's the closest authorized service place I could find, other than Kansas City, MO.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 254
Location: Austin, TX
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:57 am quote
That seems like an awful long way just to get it serviced. Most of the service items you can probably do yourself, faster and cheaper. I'm not too sure what the 600-mile service consists of, but it's probably mostly an oil change and check for loose bolts and leaks and fluid levels. Not worth wasting a day trailering it hundreds of miles, IMO.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 217
Location: Belgium
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:18 am quote
The first 600mi-1000km service is probably the most important one for a long useful life.

It is vital to check/(re)tighten/ and lube the headstock bearings along with the gearbox oil and engine oil+filter.

The Piaggio dealers tend to be stingy with their bearing grease. I ended up injecting a complete cartridge.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6017
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 am quote
sbaert wrote:
The Piaggio dealers tend to be stingy with their bearing grease. I ended up injecting a complete cartridge.
It's not the dealer, it's the assembly. And historically (circa 2008 +/-) the headset bearings were adjusted too tight, leading many to notch quickly.

This should not be a problem with the current model. One hopes....
Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 90
Location: Chandler, AZ
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:53 pm quote
Back to NE post
I assume your 2019 is still under warranty. Until it is out of warranty, you almost have to have all scheduled maintenance done and documented by an authorized dealer. As others have posted, otherwise you will be way ahead financially to do most work yourself. I had a MP3 in Kansas City and used Reno's for years. They seemed to know what they were doing, as I never had an issue after taking it there. They are the closest authorized dealer according to the Piaggio website.
Member
Mp3 500
Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Posts: 18
Location: Nebraska
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:14 am quote
Re: Back to NE post
SteveB77 wrote:
I assume your 2019 is still under warranty. Until it is out of warranty, you almost have to have all scheduled maintenance done and documented by an authorized dealer. As others have posted, otherwise you will be way ahead financially to do most work yourself. I had a MP3 in Kansas City and used Reno's for years. They seemed to know what they were doing, as I never had an issue after taking it there. They are the closest authorized dealer according to the Piaggio website.
Yes, Steve, still under warranty. I have just over 400 miles on it. I thought the dealer that sold it to me said 600 miles was the first service that should be done on it. ( I find the owner's manual a little hard to understand the actual mileage intervals when it should be serviced, since it shows in kilometers/tenths of miles till next service). Since it is so far from here to Kansas City or Wichita, KS (the closest authorized service centers), I will have to trailer it to the dealership to have it serviced. I'm hoping to be able to buy a trailer and install a towing package on my jeep before that time comes.

Not sure I completely trust the place that I bought the scooter from (University Scooters in Iowa City, IA), to do the service, or if they are an 'authorized' service center, so was probably going to go to Kansas City or Wichita.
Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 90
Location: Chandler, AZ
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:55 am quote
First Maintenance
The Piaggio's have a built-in Maintenance reminder programmed into the display. It will come on with a symbol at start-up when its due. (I think its a wrench.) The first maintenance is at 1000km = 621 miles. It will also tell you when it thinks a belt change is due, at 10000km = 6210 miles. I would not go more than 1000 miles over on the belt. There lots of threads/posts on the belt issue on this forum with differing opinions. If you are going to do a lot of highway driving and really rack up the miles, the belt changes are very expensive if you do not do them yourself.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6017
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:28 am quote
Re: First Maintenance
SteveB77 wrote:
The Piaggio's have a built-in Maintenance reminder programmed into the display. It will come on with a symbol at start-up when its due. (I think its a wrench.) The first maintenance is at 1000km = 621 miles. It will also tell you when it thinks a belt change is due, at 10000km = 6210 miles. I would not go more than 1000 miles over on the belt. There lots of threads/posts on the belt issue on this forum with differing opinions. If you are going to do a lot of highway driving and really rack up the miles, the belt changes are very expensive if you do not do them yourself.
I do ~4000 miles between oil changes, and ~10,000 miles between belt changes (OEM belt 849090 I think).
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1382s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0261s) ][ Debug on ]