Riding and Rusting after snow
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:41 am quote
The weather in Connecticut is highly variable. In the last few weeks, we’ve had Fahrenheit temperatures ranging from 10 to 50. We’ve also had heavy rain, a few snow storms, and an ice storm. Remnant snow is still on the ground, but the roads are ice/snow free (but wet), so I’ve been riding on nice days. Whatever is used to treat the roads to melt ice/snow is still there. And the snow melting methodologies vary depending on location. In my town, they were using some blue/green crystallized substance. In a neighboring town, they were using something that smelled like manure - maybe manure or cheese brine? Anyway, does anyone know how corrosive theses various ice melting treatments are in general? Should I be wiping down the Vespa every time I use it to get the stuff off and prevent corrosion? I’m probably not going to wash it (as hoses, etc. are in storage for the winter), but I suppose I could bring it to a car wash. Or am I just being paranoid? I tend to keep my vehicles forever (my daily drivers are a 2005 and a 2006), so rust is my enemy and a concern - I’m NOT going to turn in my 2015 Vespa for an HPE anytime soon (I wish)...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:11 am quote
Unless they are using Beet Juice the stuff is REALLY corrosive to metal. I won't ride my Vespa if there is ANY sign of the crap.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:21 am quote
So, I should try to wipe it down/wash it off periodically? Can anyone suggest a recommended product? Are there “corrosive salt remover” wipes or sprays? Or should I just head to the local car wash on a nice day when everything dries up a bit?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:34 am quote
I would use Salt Away once a week or so if you can.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:43 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I would use Salt Away once a week or so if you can.
I’ve never heard of Salt Away, but it looks like just what I need. Thanks, WEB-Tech. You (and all the forum members) are always tremendously helpful! Now, it’s possible this thread will devolve into utter chaos having nothing to do with the OP... Just another reason I love MV!
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:51 am quote
i had parked mine after that last snowstorm we had...i had attempted to ride to work but she died halfway there...i figured something in the eletrics got wet

I'm near you..and figured on trying to ride this past week...wont start..my throttle is all frozen...i suspect the cable got some salt or something in it...but this is the 1st time this has happened....

i suspect something yucky in the pretreat ..or de-icer is affecting it
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:23 am quote
theschuman wrote:
I’ve never heard of Salt Away, but it looks like just what I need.
https://www.theruststore.com/Salt-Away-C69.aspx
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:28 am quote
I grew up around classic cars and in that group salt is hated, especially that brine crap.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:05 am quote
Anticorrosion treatment is better both preventive ...
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:32 am quote
ACF-50 applied every few weeks will provide an anti-corrosion surface. Always did the trick for me in the UK. It's what they use on aircraft, after all.
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:45 am quote
i think i will need to consider something like this Jim...

i take it that the Salt Away product is something i mix with water and just rinse the whole bike..... not ideal if the temperatures is around freezing..

that ACF-50 stuff looks great....i take it that is to be applied on the ignition and motor area?...seems pricey to spray down the entire bike but perhaps im just not understanding

also...im fairly certain that my throttle cable is all frozen due to rust or maybe salt...i suspect salt as the cable is only a few months old, and the last time it ran was in a snowstorm......i bet i can free the cable, but what can i do to prevent this in the future?..just wd40?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:47 am quote
jimc wrote:
ACF-50 applied every few weeks will provide an anti-corrosion surface. Always did the trick for me in the UK. It's what they use on aircraft, after all.
Yeah, That should work. I winter ride and have for a while. Rust can be an issue though usually you can get it off if it happens and it's early enough . TBH though here in Toronto we get enough above freezing days that simply going to the self serve car wash and hosing the bikes down has kept the salt from getting a grip.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:17 pm quote
I use a brush to apply ACF-50 to all areas liable to corrosion. The spray comes out pretty thick - it's not like WD-40 or other spray stuff, but the spray mechanism is useful in a few places where you can't easily get a brush to make contact.

A little goes a very long way!
Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:38 pm quote
That's why I moved out of Fairfax County, Virginia......to get away from the road salt in the winter.

Over use of road salt is the game there.

fried okra
Ossessionato
'09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:50 pm quote
I never ride after a snow or snow event unless we have a good rain where it washes the salt from the roadways. All of the crap they put on the road is hard on anything metallic
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:31 pm quote
Connecticut uses a magnesium chloride with pine tree sap to make the lines you see on the highway and in intersections. They look like white lines and come off the truck in a liquid. This mixture is activated by moisture and sticks to everything. I will not ride if there is visible road salt. This will eat up your scoot fast. If you are presistant in wanting to ride, use a petroleum jelly at the joints in the frame and take the glove box off to give a good cleaning come spring. If you want the scooter for 5 to 8 years you dont have to worry but it will be eatin in about 10 from the salts they use.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:02 am quote
fried okra wrote:
That's why I moved out of Fairfax County, Virginia......to get away from the road salt in the winter.

Over use of road salt is the game there.

fried okra
Yep, Oh 20% chance of snow put a thick coat of brine on all the roads.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:26 am quote
orange s150 wrote:
If you want the scooter for 5 to 8 years you dont have to worry but it will be eatin in about 10 from the salts they use.
Is this because of the thin metal used for the Vespa’s frame? The 2005 Corolla is still fully intact. In fact, I haven’t worried about rust since my 1981 Buick Skylark developed a hole in the floor - in 1994.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:32 am quote
orange s150 wrote:
If you want the scooter for 5 to 8 years you dont have to worry but it will be eatin in about 10 from the salts they use.
Is this because of the thin metal used for the Vespa’s frame? The 2005 Corolla is still fully intact. In fact, I haven’t worried about rust since my 1981 Buick Skylark developed a hole in the floor - in 1994.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:05 am quote
theschuman wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
Just saw a fairly new NY state plated car in the parking lot of the data center and his quarters panels were about rusted though.
So rust is still an issue. The stuff they put on the roads now is the most corrosive they have ever used.

Salt gets in seams, holds moisture and rust starts.
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. Tethys - 300 GTS Titanium
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 am quote
scooter wash?
I ride year round and the salt does build up in the winter. I'm not terribly good at taking care of it. In fact, every so often when filling up, I just use the windshield cleaner thingy to wipe everything down.

It does clear off the salt, but is that wiper fluid equally as bad for my scoot?
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:10 pm quote
theschuman wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
The rust proofing from the factory stinks. If you look into the GTS itnhad rust issues from the radiator condensation building up in the frame. It rotted alot of low mile scoots out. I would say it is from thin outer metal, lots of crevices and not the best rust proofing from the factory. Most cars have a rubberized undercoat that keeps rust away.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 pm quote
I ride year round and we get lots of salt on the roads in winter. Our local council puts salt grit mixed with molasses (to make it stick to the roads) everywhere. Yet I have not the slightest amount of corrosion anywhere on my Vespa, even underneath the bike.

So I strongly suggest following some of the good advice above. I use a coating of an anti-corrosion wax called Waxoyl under the bike. This gets renewed every 6 months. I also rust proofed the entire bike shortly after I got the bike using Waxoyl, which lasts the life of the bike. This was applied to all bike internal panels and everywhere inside the bikes frame.

Aside from that just rinse her down with fresh clean COLD water to remove the worst of the dirt and salt. Add a mild detergent used for cleaning cars, not dish washing liquid which has corrosive salts in it. Use COLD water at all times to avoid activating the salts corrosive acidic action. Warm water is your bikes enemy in winter when salt is around.

Don't forget to touch up paint stone chips to prevent rusting. I have serviced 10 year old GTS bikes, both 250's and 300's with very high mileages on the clock and none of them have any amount of rust. A little care is all that's needed to keep them good.
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:09 pm quote
Stromrider wrote:
I ride year round and we get lots of salt on the roads in winter. Our local council puts salt grit mixed with molasses (to make it stick to the roads) everywhere. Yet I have not the slightest amount of corrosion anywhere on my Vespa, even underneath the bike.

So I strongly suggest following some of the good advice above. I use a coating of an anti-corrosion wax called Waxoyl under the bike. This gets renewed every 6 months. I also rust proofed the entire bike shortly after I got the bike using Waxoyl, which lasts the life of the bike. This was applied to all bike internal panels and everywhere inside the bikes frame.

Aside from that just rinse her down with fresh clean COLD water to remove the worst of the dirt and salt. Add a mild detergent used for cleaning cars, not dish washing liquid which has corrosive salts in it. Use COLD water at all times to avoid activating the salts corrosive acidic action. Warm water is your bikes enemy in winter when salt is around.

Don't forget to touch up paint stone chips to prevent rusting. I have serviced 10 year old GTS bikes, both 250's and 300's with very high mileages on the clock and none of them have any amount of rust. A little care is all that's needed to keep them good.
They tried to use molasses in the salt about 10 years ago here in the northeast USA. What ended up happening was the deer would come out to the highway and lick the sweet salt off the pavement. Needless to say lots of deer strikes happend, now they use pine sap.
Addicted
BV 350
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:56 am quote
maybe
I'm always concerned with the brine solution getting into the moving bits and corroding them. So I'm done riding if there's brine on the road. As an added bonus, the stuff they use around here is extremely slippery if it is the least bit moist. And when it dries, you get to drive through a fog of the dust for the first few days, presumably getting into every crevice and waiting for moisture to re-activate the corrosive property.

Bought a used FJR1300 last year. As part of the 'new to me' maintenance, went through and lubed all the pivots including the rear (linkage) suspension. Had to drive some of the bolts out, as they'd corroded into the sleeves. Fortunately the seals on the bearings were OK, so the sleeves and bearings were fine. The brake pedal pivot was also badly corroded, so I'm guessing it'd been ridden in salt at some point. Still fighting a few 'stainless' fasteners that are seized into alloy parts, even after extended soaking in penetrating oil, so I'm guessing more corrosion.

Made the mistake of riding my Airhead BMW in the brine one year (after it dried), and found rust all over the frame the following spring, where I'd previously seen none.

I'm not confident you can wash or prep the scooter well enough to keep off all the corrosion.

Most new cars have fully-primed or galvanized body panels to reduce rust-through. But I still see newer cars and trucks with rust holes. That new brine they are using is nasty.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:55 am quote
I've ridden my GTV through 2 seasons and there are no rust issues I can see. The thing is I want to ride so will and if I lose some value on the scoot so be it. It’s a trade off I'm willing to take. I do wash my bikes down on warmer days and that does help. The Ural I paid for the undercoating rust protection on. There is some rust on the ammo box screws but that will come off or news screws put in.

Vespas are relatively cheap when looking at the big picture. Not that I want it rusted or damage but the happiness I get out of riding and the money I save not using Uber makes it worth. Public transit is something I avoid at all costs. I'd rather but a new Vespa every 4 years.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:03 am quote
Thanks again for the advice. This isn’t the Vespa’s first exposure to corrosive road “stuff”. It is four years old and has some small areas of rust already (notably in the underside and seams in where the frame pieces meet). Is it too late, or will the techniques/products mentioned in this post still help?
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 am quote
You can slow the rust down by having a coating of oil or cosmoline or petroleum jelly on the areas that are rusting. Goes by how much you want to work at it. The best way to remove is with fine sandpaper and a metal brush, take all the rust off and repaint. But if you are to put a protective coating over it, this will drastically slow down the rust.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:53 am quote
orange s150 wrote:
theschuman wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
The rust proofing from the factory stinks. If you look into the GTS itnhad rust issues from the radiator condensation building up in the frame. It rotted alot of low mile scoots out. I would say it is from thin outer metal, lots of crevices and not the best rust proofing from the factory. Most cars have a rubberized undercoat that keeps rust away.
The newer ones do have a anti corrosive coating under the paint.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:56 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
I've ridden my GTV through 2 seasons and there are no rust issues I can see. The thing is I want to ride so will and if I lose some value on the scoot so be it. It’s a trade off I'm willing to take. I do wash my bikes down on warmer days and that does help. The Ural I paid for the undercoating rust protection on. There is some rust on the ammo box screws but that will come off or news screws put in.

Vespas are relatively cheap when looking at the big picture. Not that I want it rusted or damage but the happiness I get out of riding and the money I save not using Uber makes it worth. Public transit is something I avoid at all costs. I'd rather but a new Vespa every 4 years.
I made the mistake of getting the Sei Giorni. It was suppose to be my back up commuter scooter, but I have fallen in love with it and it will only be a fair weather rider now.
Have my MP3 500 and BV 350 for daily riders.
Molto Verboso
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:41 pm quote
jimc wrote:
+1 on the ACF 50!
Also, I give the scoot a rinse with pump, garden sprayer after a winter ride with any hint of bad stuff on the road.
Leaf blower after that.
O.S.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:21 am quote
OldSchooot wrote:
jimc wrote:
+1 on the ACF 50!
Also, I give the scoot a rinse with pump, garden sprayer after a winter ride with any hint of bad stuff on the road.
Leaf blower after that.
O.S.
Water doesn't remove salt well though, hence the suggestion of the use of Salt Away.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 pm quote
Four Ounces of Prevention
From the very first Winter with Melody, I was aware of potential corrosion issues, so I armed myself with the bare-minimum of rust-prevention items, and now that kit has expanded to four:

- S100: The big deal here isn't just spraying the bike down, but washing the crap off: I give it a quick once-over with this, using warm (not hot, but not cold) water to loosen whatever Kosmic Debris up faster and more thoroughly.

- Salt Off: this comes next, with a generous spraying on the bike's underside. Followed, again, by a warm rinse.

- Gempler's Aerosol Rust Preventer: Melody has developed a small chip right at the seam on the right-front side of the legshield, and the moment I saw the sightless hint of rust, I put this to use. I really should follow this up with the proper touch-up paint of your choosing, but as this was such a tiny patch I've decided to wait a bit until conditions for a proper touch-up are ideal. The important bit is that I've bought corrosion in that area to a screeching halt.

- Nevr-Dull: There are precious-few chrome bits on Melody (pretty much the way I like it), but the crashers I added a few years back did not have the best chrome-plating work done to them, which I knew from the start, so I got hold of a can of this stuff: just pull out a wad of the stuff and start working it into the surface. Light pitting goes straight away, heavier pitting takes longer, but 8 times out of 10 it gets the crap off, leaving just the chrome.

Bonus: I covered this earlier last year, but think it bears repeating: if your Vespa came with the protective cover cleverly tucked into the seat underside, you no doubt thought that was a clever idea; if you ever actually used that rain cover in anything more than the lightest of drizzles, you were likely underwhelmed at the cover's "waterproofiness." Many people suggesting chucking it, but I felt the convenience was too good to not try augmenting the cover's performance somehow. A can of Scotchgard, properly administered in several light coats, did the trick for me. Not exactly a wintery solution, but given that we've had way more rain than snow in these parts the last few months, it's actually a good deal less off-topic than imagined.

s100.jpg
S100: The first step.

saltoff.jpg
Salt Off: Second in line, equally important.

gemplers.jpg
Gempler's: Whereever rust happens to be, stop it in its tracks.

nevrdull.jpg
Never-Dull: Whatever ails the really shiny bits, this helps.

scotchgard.jpg
Scotchgard: A saddle bonnet's best friend.

Last edited by amateriat on Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:04 am quote
When I had my boat Star Bright was always bottom of the line stuff that just worked OK, I would buy a better salt remover like the name brand Salt Away. All the jet skiers seems to use the Salt Away brand.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:22 am quote
My 2006 GTS has been through 13 central Pennsylvania winters of heavy salt, grit and grime. The Commonwealth really likes to load up the roads.

Commuting daily on the Vespa isn't conducive to meticulous care and cleaning away the salt. I resigned myself to the fact that the scooter would suffer from such use.

Cosmetically, the impact of the salt is almost immediate as it chews things up. Structurally, it has been much slower. After 12 years I had to have the bottom of the scooter repainted as it was getting rusty enough that I wanted to stop any rust through. I've been amazed at how durable the scooter has been in terms of not rusting.

The muffler, it gets mucked up fast. Pulling it and restoring it with matte black engine paint is an annual affair.

I suppose what I'm saying, if you are going to ride a lot in the winter when the roads aren't dry, and there's salt and grit, the scooter will pay a price. If you're like me and don't particularly care what it looks like, it will be worse. I spray mine off perhaps once or twice during the winter.

But damn, it's worth the ongoing joy of riding!

131231_vespa_snow003.jpg
My GTS 250 on a typical, snowy ride.

rusted-exhaust.jpg
This is how my muffler looks each spring. Finally rusted through after 12 years. The replacement from eBay should get me to the nursing home or worse...

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:08 am quote
jimc wrote:
Once after your suggestion eons ago I went up to the airport maintenance store just to buy that stuff. I couldn't find it anywhere else. They looked at me and my Vespa, nodded, whispered into each other's ears, came back and told me that they only had two left. I said okay then I'll take two.
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 am quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I used Salt-Off last weekend. It was around freezing (32 degrees F) and the temperature was dropping, so I sprayed the Salt-Off on and then drove to the local car wash to spray it off (rather than hook up my lawn hose in the freezing temperatures). I think the car wash has a similar product to Salt-Off that comes out of the standard multi-purpose car wash hose. On the selector dial, it is billed as “Salt Remover” and comes out blue (i.e. the same color as Salt-Off). Thoughts on using this?

On a related note, it will be close to 60°F in Connecticut today. I’m off for a ride and will probably need to use some Salt-Off (or the car wash equivalent) again soon.

Thanks again MV.
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:38 am quote
orange s150 wrote:
Connecticut uses a magnesium chloride with pine tree sap to make the lines you see on the highway and in intersections. They look like white lines
Pine tree sap! Holy Crap! That explains what happened to my truck. I was on NJ Turnpike and saw a truck putting down that brine in the left lane. I stayed a lane over (only two lanes there) and about 300 feet back. I thought that was far enough. I wasn’t in any mist or anything. There were cars actually riding the trucks bumper. When I got home the front of my truck was a white mess that felt like it was glued on.
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:28 pm quote
Welcome to Connecticut, soon to also implement tolls for your driving pleasure.
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:11 am quote
orange s150 wrote:
Welcome to Connecticut, soon to also implement tolls for your driving pleasure.
Good luck with that. When both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway were built, people were surprised and upset that there’d be toll booths. Not to worry, the state said, they’ll only be there long enough to pay for the construction cost of the highways! And we all know how that went. 60 years later they’re still there.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1866s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0375s) ][ Debug on ]