Anyone game??
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:30 am quote
Curious about what we all do when we donít ride. I put my scooter away a little over a month ago and Iím itching like crazy for Spring to arrive.
Iíve found a few people on here with similar back surgery/issues, and was wondering what else weíve all got in common here. Iíll start.

Hack musician; grew up playing classical piano, now play guitar as well. Recently Iíve taken up baking. Iím a bit of an aesthete and I like to pursue beauty in all forms.

-K
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 am quote
I recently bought a Casio LK 280 and i'm starting a series of music lessons.
I've always liked it but i didn't have time, i hope it's not too difficult to learn.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:16 am quote
In this part of Texas we don't put our bikes away for the winter.

I like listening to music... Does that count?
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:24 am quote
Forever learning. Bonnie and me, are a wicked team in the kitchen as we continue to explore cooking with sous-vide. Pastry baking while perfecting our French macaron skills. And now "noi siamo studenti di Italiano" at the beginner level. Also having fun with the GoPro, shooting vids about our grandson.

IMG_7731.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:40 am quote
I've been playing around with making a scooter-related project on an Arduino micro computer system. Eventually it will need a case so I'm looking at a 3D printer and all that entails as well.
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:01 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
I've been playing around with making a scooter-related project on an Arduino micro computer system. Eventually it will need a case so I'm looking at a 3D printer and all that entails as well.
Cool! I love messing with the Arduino. I have a FlexFuel kit in my Subaru that allows me to run up to 93% Ethanol. The ethanol content sensor is a standard GM part that emits a pulse varying in rate from 50Hz (0% ethanol) to 150Hz (100% ethanol). The ECU in the Subaru wants an input voltage of 1.5V for 0% ethanol to 4.75V for 100% ethanol. So I used an Arduino to measure the pulse rate of coming from the sensor, do some simple math, and output the appropriate voltage to the ECU. It was a fun project.

-Craig
Hooked
2020 GTS HPE 300, 2013 GTS 300ie
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 am quote
Donít need to put away my scoot here, but I have plenty of non- scooter hobbies.

I am at the beach even in the coldest weather, though walking and not swimming. I also love Disneyland and going to any amusement park I can while my health still allows it. I too am a baker and thus far at every new duty station my husband is assigned to, I am deemed the best baker around Its in my blood.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 am quote
Kansas USA has some pretty mild Winters. It's almost always possible to take the scooter for a ride in the mid-afternoon. But sometimes I'm not thinking about riding or riding.

On the other hand I am also experimenting in the kitchen much more than I used to. I got an air fryer for Christmas. I am experimenting with dehydrating stuff like apples, bananas, plantains, pears, and so on. I haven't tried baking in it yet.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm quote
Family and work consumes most of time, but I'm a half-assed woodworker (promised my wife a bed (frame) when we married, that's 18 years and I only have bedside tables to show for it. I am in the process of the bed finally!

Summertime I'm out in the yard trying to grow things and chasing rabbits.

I'm also a wannabe home repairman.....usually works pretty good, but I was trying to re-do a basement shower, playing with leveling cement for the first time and got some in my floor drain, which is clogged. While that project is on hold waiting for a plumber, I've been taking my frustrations out on woodworking, which seems to be helping me make better progress than in years.

Still looking for my rat......
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:23 pm quote
family and projects around the house are most of my time when not working now...would like to be hiking, skiing or playing softball though...other than that bonfires, beaches and beers...miss mountain biking too
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm quote
Interest piqued
Favorite thing to bake?
Post pics?
sdscooterista wrote:
Donít need to put away my scoot here, but I have plenty of non- scooter hobbies.

I am at the beach even in the coldest weather, though walking and not swimming. I also love Disneyland and going to any amusement park I can while my health still allows it. I too am a baker and thus far at every new duty station my husband is assigned to, I am deemed the best baker around Its in my blood.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:29 pm quote
Thank you for the pics!
Soul Surfer wrote:
Forever learning. Bonnie and me, are a wicked team in the kitchen as we continue to explore cooking with sous-vide. Pastry baking while perfecting our French macaron skills. And now "noi siamo studenti di Italiano" at the beginner level. Also having fun with the GoPro, shooting vids about our grandson.
[quote]

Macarons look very good! What flavors are these?? I just tried my hand at some cinnamon buns. As for music, trying to get some Sufjan Stevens under my fingers, and hopefully some Jeff Buckley songs I havenít learned yet. Before the cinnamon buns, I made the Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies which were VERY high maintenance, and so very worth it...
2020 Vespa 300 GTS HPE
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:33 pm quote
I'm a software engineer by day and 3d print by night(whenever my printer is working). My wife and I just moved up to the Bay Area to help care for my 96-year old father-in-law and we're really looking forward to exploring the area in our just recently acquired Vespas.
Hooked
2005 Vespa GT200L
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:20 pm quote
When I am not building transmissions for FCA automotibles, and the weather is to cold to ride, have my model trains to enjoy. Mostly G scale and live steam powered. This one burns butane/propane mix gas to heat the water to create steam to power the pistons. It also costs nearly as much as good used Vespa. Cheers Mike the Aspie
Ossessionato
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:31 pm quote
Can you see a picture of the whole diorama?
PS: my brother-in-law is an engineer and my sister is a lawyer, they work for FCA in Turin.
Ossessionato
'15 Blue GTS300 Super, '18 White GTS300 Super
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 pm quote
I ride all year round, but also build Meccano (Erector, for Americans) models, run a model railway - O gauge tinplate, do Scottish Country Dancing, study science and read science fiction.

Always fiddling with my two scooters too, tuning or beautifying.
Ossessionato
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:17 am quote
Mike Holland wrote:
I ride all year round, but also build Meccano (Erector, for Americans) models, run a model railway - O gauge tinplate, do Scottish Country Dancing, study science and read science fiction.

Always fiddling with my two scooters too, tuning or beautifying.
Do you like Elizabeth Moon books?
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:02 am quote
Life long woodworker here. I have a Woodmizer sawmill for my own use and a separate wood shop that doubles as a MC/scoot place too. I don't do so much greasy stuff nowdays other than as our own vehicles asked for. I bought and rehabbed a must sought after table saw, a Powermatic Model 66 recently and sold my old saw(newer than the "new" one) Sunday.
I am whats called "wood poor" as I have the stuff nearly filling a building same 24x 36 size as my shop across the road. Living on land, there simply no chance of wondering what I'll find to do? Fat chance for that one...
Recently my pond dam decided it had had one ridiculous rain too many and began ti leak. I fetched 14 bucket loads of soil from back in our woods then toted it to the dam, packed it down and all is well for now. Digging out the overflow, with a shovel, not machine!, in the rain, at age 76 is an e.g. of life on land...
My wife comes from people who cook in a very serious way as do I, (my Mom was often in the newspaper for her cooking) so we eat very well and don't eat out very often either but enjoy doing so when the foods worth the money and not whats so often offered. Our freezer is full of garden veggies and life is good. Honestly, many folks these days obviously don't really know good food given how they are seen in restaurant reviews bragging on what turns out to be not good at all. Mexican/ Tex-Mex is one of our faves yet eating out it is often not so great at all. Fact is that in many Mexican trips and miles their food in their country is like the USA, not always great.

At the expense of (seemingly) trying for a know it all status I'll say that if you have a woodworking need or question, I actually have an answer. If your not so far from me I'll give you wood for your project too.

Never, ever in my life since my earliest days have I had an issue with what to do with myself as I'm artsy, crafty and prone to be a workhorse type of guy. When younger I practiced sports related stuff for hours and hours when not finding others to game with. As I aged sports took all my non- sleeping or classroom time. I caddied from 5th grade up into college as time allowed while also playing sports all year long. What a busy life. I passed it on to my kids too. While visiting us on Christmas, our Texas son, the oldest rode his bicycle several hundred miles. The other two, twins either do family stuff, incl. camping, bicycles, hiking, etc., or play golf or work too much at engineering jobs Just maybe that's part of the reason my body is wearing out?
Being active is a lifestyle choice. I have 50 pounds of pecans curing on my screened in porch for those in between times. We freeze them and then eat over the course of a years time.
If you grow pecans, lets talk cause I need a new source!
And yes, I read quite a bit too- NYT's and Lexington (KY) Herald daily and real books.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:45 am quote
I ride all year round. But I do have other interests.

For me, I write, and I pursue a range of personal photography projects.In addition to digital work, I maintain a darkroom and continue to shoot 35mm black and white as well as 4x5 film with my Zone VI view camera.

The rest of my life, perhaps most of my life, is consumed by two dogs, family and the noise of living!

Junior-and-Lily.jpg
Our two Belgian Sheepdogs, Junior and Lilyhammer, consume a huge amount of time. They are insistent in reminding me of walk time, ball chasing time, meal time, play time, cookie time, treat time, wrestling time, bed time, and on and on.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Curious about what we all do when we donít ride. I put my scooter away a little over a month ago and Iím itching like crazy for Spring to arrive.
Iíve found a few people on here with similar back surgery/issues, and was wondering what else weíve all got in common here. Iíll start.

Hack musician; grew up playing classical piano, now play guitar as well. Recently Iíve taken up baking. Iím a bit of an aesthete and I like to pursue beauty in all forms.

-K
Boy Scouts (Scoutmaster of a Troop for underprivileged boys), Camping, my YouTube channel.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:47 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:

-K
Boy Scouts (Scoutmaster of a Troop for underprivileged boys), Camping, my YouTube channel.
I'll bite. What's the YouTube channel about?
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 pm quote
I have a pack of dogs (five at the moment), and my wife runs a dog rescue, which is on hiatus right now as we establish ourselves in Pennsylvania. I l
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm quote
I have a pack of dogs (five at the moment), and my wife runs a dog rescue, which is on hiatus right now as we establish ourselves in Pennsylvania. I love the feeling of placing a dog in a good home. And keeping the old broken ones for myself, as they're the best!

Working on a new business venture, and restoring a 130 year old house right now. House might be ready in March.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm quote
Larrytsg
Any chance you have pitbulls? Wife and I looking to rescue a pocket pit if at all possible...
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:21 pm quote
I got my first guitar when I was 11. First motorcycle when I was 14. I've stayed with both for well over 50 years. We are enjoying this scooter time of our lives, and in the last two years, I've reconnected with a band mate from when we were in high school (and beyond).

Here's a cover we recently did, a pared down version of Bob Dylan's Make You Feel My Love...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/make-you-feel-my-love-v32

Mark on piano, me on vocal.

And, a song I wrote last year...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/too-old-to-die-young-1

Mark on piano and organ, me on guitar, bass, drums, and vocals.
Molto Verboso
1980 P125X, 1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm quote
jack of all trades, master of none. Right now its vespas which im failing upwards at slowly over time through persistence, and once I get some more space in my garage, I plan on trying to pick up woodworking to build some furniture.

Sitting in front of a computer 10-12 hrs a day for work only makes me want to learn traditional analog crafts more as I get older. I barely touch a computer when I am not at work anymore, except of course for MV posting on my phone!
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:26 am quote
swiss1939- give me a shout and I'll walk you into woods. I have been into most aspects of wood as art or crafts, mostly crafts since childhood and grew up around wood users. There some niches that have never interested me at all, which are quite popular-areas like pen making, and computerized sign making draw some in but have zero hold on me. I've carved free hand, much lathe work such as bowls but more so spindles and chairs recently. Lots of cabinet work-not the kitchen cabinet trade, only my own and furniture in general. I don't buy patterns, it's either purely my own or a steal off of a web or book picture then adapted to standardized measurements.
The largest single mistake of those who come to wood later in life, especially if their deep pockets is to think amassing a huge bunch of power tools is the keys to the kingdom. In truth it's better to decide what interests you most and have enough "stuff" to try it a bit. The classic tried and true way to learn wood is purely by hand, not power.
A class or just the right book can help a bunch. I read just a few days ago about a young boy who got turned onto wood & chairs after reading a book about Sam Maloof (a guru of wood workers if there is one) and seeing his most famous chair. The kid has made several now, they like most chairs are very challenging and sell into 5 figures as an e.g.. They're not what I build. There are clubs in most major cities, often with shop space as part of dues given that urban life often lacks shop space. Retail also sponsors space & classes but leans toward stuff they sell such as overpriced woods, etc..
Google Marc Adams woodworking school in IN as an e.g. of some areas good training might touch on. Finding a sidekick locally, perhaps an old fart like me is great too. The single greatest web source of most overall information is Woodweb. it is not the place to be chatty, other forums lean that way, I like The Forestry Forum for temperment.
The guy from Cinn., OH who recently bought my old tablesaw is coming back down to help me with the sawmill while learning how wood comes about from a tree while snatching a truckload of wood to jump start his newish hobby.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:45 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Any chance you have pitbulls? Wife and I looking to rescue a pocket pit if at all possible...
Pit bulls? Nope. Mostly small dogs like chihuahuas and dachshunds and other small mixed breeds. If you want a goofy looking couch potato pug mix I have one looking for a warm place to snore and fart.
Hooked
2005 Vespa LX 150, 2005 GT 200
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:57 am quote
Iím also in NJ and just recently had back surgery.....laminectomy and a two level fusion. My doctor told me I canít ride again until at least May. I am going stir crazy. It was nearly 70 degrees here last week and I was itching to ride.

These days, Iím spending a lot more time visiting my sons in VA. A much better use of my time than spending it on another hobby.
Hooked
GTS300, GTV300, 71Rally 180, 64VBB, 79&80 P200
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 am quote
My wife says my past time is accumulating stuff. It is really about small/simple mechanical projects. These keep me busy, are affordable and from getting in over my head; like to taking apart a pocket watch or trying to build a Wooton desk.
I have trays of vintage fountain pens and shelves of pressure lanterns. Lately Iíve been working on old Singer sewing machines for family members.

64ABA142-0038-42C5-A764-5ED0C57CDA04.jpeg
Recently cleaned form a stint of daily use.

06CDED01-BD46-4E77-B9B7-210EFA31A017.jpeg
An international selection

475F6599-E9E9-4346-A7EA-0ABE52582753.jpeg
And a few typewriters too.

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:43 am quote
Mopedlar wrote:
Iím also in NJ and just recently had back surgery.....laminectomy and a two level fusion. My doctor told me I canít ride again until at least May. I am going stir crazy. It was nearly 70 degrees here last week and I was itching to ride.

These days, Iím spending a lot more time visiting my sons in VA. A much better use of my time than spending it on another hobby.
Fellow spinal fusion comrade! I had a spinal fusion many years ago and was told I could NEVER ride! Lucky you (and me, I defy authority at most opportunities to do so). You ever do Jersey rides? I don't ride during the winter months (yet) but am trying to find a group to do nice leisurely beautiful scenic rides once it heats up. Let me know if you're down! Heal well, and don't skip out on the PT. I'm a cautionary tale.
2001 Vespa ET4 150
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:44 am quote
I work in Education as my day job, I was a High School teacher, but now work more directly with kids as a Middle School Counselor. Yeah, I am that kind of crazy.

I actually mostly ride a Harley Davidson (almost daily) with my wife who has her own bike. Recently my dad decided to move and gave me his 1975 VeloSolex Bicycle and his Vespa ET4 150. I love being that guy who just enjoys the world and life. I love restoring, tinkering, and building things. Bikes more then cars, cars are too expensive today.
Ossessionato
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:28 am quote
Mopedlar wrote:

21 į C ? But the human body perceives three or four less, they seem sufficient when stationary but in movement they are suffering; if i'm not 24 į C i don't move because of rheumatism.
My other pastime is the restoration of vintage motorcycles and also their research on behalf of others who would like to buy one ... even vintage cars sometimes (not at the level of F40 Motorsport); last Sunday i was to see a 1972 Alfa Romeo Giulia GT Junior 1.3 and two years ago i found a Maserati Sebring for an enthusiast.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:49 am quote
[quote="Attila"]
Mopedlar wrote:
21 į C ? But the human body perceives three or four less, they seem sufficient when stationary but in movement they are suffering; if i'm not 24 į C i don't move because of rheumatism.
My other pastime is the restoration of vintage motorcycles and also their research on behalf of others who would like to buy one ... even vintage cars sometimes (not at the level of F40 Motorsport); last Sunday i was to see a 1972 Alfa Romeo Giulia GT Junior 1.3 and two years ago i found a Maserati Sebring for an enthusiast.
Ummm immagini, per favore Attila!
Hooked
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Mopedlar wrote:

Fellow spinal fusion comrade! I had a spinal fusion many years ago and was told I could NEVER ride! Lucky you (and me, I defy authority at most opportunities to do so). You ever do Jersey rides? I don't ride during the winter months (yet) but am trying to find a group to do nice leisurely beautiful scenic rides once it heats up. Let me know if you're down! Heal well, and don't skip out on the PT. I'm a cautionary tale.
I don't ride in the winter months either. I'm always down with riding once it warms up. I live in scenic Hunterdon county, which borders Warren county. Lots of great back roads to ride and places to see up here, including the famous Hot Dog Johnnys. I'll ride anywhere it's nice. Where in NJ are you located?
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:43 am quote
Bergen County. I know Hackettstown somewhat. Do you do a lot of highway riding?
Hooked
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Not major highways like Rt.78, 80, 95 GSP,etc. I ride pretty much all 55 mph and less roads.

After 27 years living here in NJ, I'm going to be moving to the Richmond, VA area later in the year. I'd really like to do a NJ shore ride before I leave the state.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm quote
Mopedlar wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Not major highways like Rt.78, 80, 95 GSP,etc. I ride pretty much all 55 mph and less roads.

After 27 years living here in NJ, I'm going to be moving to the Richmond, VA area later in the year. I'd really like to do a NJ shore ride before I leave the state.
Make sure to look up the Richmond Scooter club, they are very active. Moto Richmond / Scoot Richmond will be your go to dealer.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:45 pm quote
Mopedlar wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:

I'm down for sure/shore ride. Let me know when you're up and running. I also try to avoid 80, 95, 78. Essentially, any roadway where cars are flying way past 65. We're a dying breed, I feel. Most people I know love highway riding but I am not a fan.
Hooked
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:55 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Mopedlar wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:

Make sure to look up the Richmond Scooter club, they are very active. Moto Richmond / Scoot Richmond will be your go to dealer.
I went to Amerivespa in Richmond two years ago and met the folks in the Richmond Scooter club. Very nice folks. I also have been to the Moto/Scoot Richmond shop. Also, great folks. Can't wait to be active in an organized scooter club. Thanks for the info!
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1921s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0689s) ][ Debug on ]