Drive Belt replacement on `08 LX50 ? tools?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
LX 50
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:08 pm quote
Recently acquired an LX50 which i derestricted using the `ole electronic Coil or
rpm/firing ignition that stops the rpms @ like35/mph, much improved but not cheap ( 150$).
So the 8,500 Belt replacement is no BS. My LX50 needs a belt replacement. So from what I can watch on you Tube you need a Tool Like a "clutch Puller" or what ever it`s called in catalog speak. I tried Scoot WEst, ScooterJerks and the guys I use in Atlanta can`t be found these days.
So anybody share some Knowledge to get me lined to to replace the the Belt.
I am able to find a $41.00 Malossi belt which is about the best i can do.?
Thanks for any light on this
Wasp50
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 pm quote
This thread might help in your repair. As an aside, many Vespa owners prefer the OEM Vespa belt rather than aftermarket.

GT200 CVT belt and rollers replacement.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 am quote
I do not use any specialty tools on my LX 50. I bought a $5 strap wrench set from Harbor freight to hold the clutch, and use a large phillips screwdriver wedged in to hold the variator in place. I reuse the nuts, but make sure the threads are clean and dry, and add a drop of Locktite on the threads when installing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-rubber-strap-wrench-set-69373.html
Lurker
LX 50
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm quote
I knew I came back to right place Thanks Fellas ( and Ladies
GranT & Fank ^5 guys i did`nt think i needed a puller tool.
Great I`ll be back on the road this w/end woo-hoo, My other Vespa is smallie 90
Which my Friend Star did the mojo rebuild on the carb and it still honks pretty good.That is where the LX came from Star had it, but the smallie was not a good everyday bike i needed and so Starr looks so good on "kitty" nice racing red paint, I told her "you look better on it than me, I knew she wanted it so I asked her to trade "Silvio" LX and she was like Really? i said sure.
Thanks guys good to be back here, always the best wrench advice.
Thanks
Wasp50
** the cdi/coil is the bomb it buries the needle, but the coil overheats and dies if ya monkey run it, so i just enjoy a more respectable cruising speed for a 50, the GY`s can`t figure it out.
OME Moto Thanks yup Malossi is not the best, but i am tempted to try the
kevlar belt but we once used kevlar grade cable in the Navy dropping CTD instruments over the Side and we Lost like a 50k CTD sampler,, research sub put a lift bag on it was in 1200/ft bottom,,so maybe it was bad kevlar.?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm quote
Re: I knew I came back to right place Thanks Fellas ( and La
Wasp50 wrote:
GranT & Fank ^5 guys i did`nt think i needed a puller tool.
Great I`ll be back on the road this w/end woo-hoo, My other Vespa is smallie 90
Which my Friend Star did the mojo rebuild on the carb and it still honks pretty good.That is where the LX came from Star had it, but the smallie was not a good everyday bike i needed and so Starr looks so good on "kitty" nice racing red paint, I told her "you look better on it than me, I knew she wanted it so I asked her to trade "Silvio" LX and she was like Really? i said sure.
Thanks guys good to be back here, always the best wrench advice.
Thanks
Wasp50
** the cdi/coil is the bomb it buries the needle, but the coil overheats and dies if ya monkey run it, so i just enjoy a more respectable cruising speed for a 50, the GY`s can`t figure it out.
OME Moto Thanks yup Malossi is not the best, but i am tempted to try the
kevlar belt but we once used kevlar grade cable in the Navy dropping CTD instruments over the Side and we Lost like a 50k CTD sampler,, research sub put a lift bag on it was in 1200/ft bottom,,so maybe it was bad kevlar.?
The Vespa OEM belt is also Kevlar.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:49 pm quote
NightWing wrote:
No, it is not. The Vespa OEM belt for the 50cc and the Vespa OEM belt for the 150cc scooters do not have Kevlar or Aramid fibers.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
NightWing wrote:
No, it is not. The Vespa OEM belt for the 50cc and the Vespa OEM belt for the 150cc scooters do not have Kevlar or Aramid fibers.
Here we go again - they certainly have an equivalent fibre, even if it isn't one of a brand name we're familiar with. Perhaps it's Twaron? I don't know - but it IS a para-aramid.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 am quote
jimc wrote:
Here we go again - they certainly have an equivalent fibre, even if it isn't one of a brand name we're familiar with. Perhaps it's Twaron? I don't know - but it IS a para-aramid.
They use polyester and glass fiber. Most OEM RCVS belts don't have a Kevlar, aramid or para-aramid layer. Somehow someone's statement years ago that the OEM belts have Kevlar got repeated over and over again, and now a lot of people believe it.
This has a description of a belt that failed, and what it was constructed of. They show the failed belt and the new one. Only one company I know of used to label their OEM belts like the one in the photo.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/belt-drives
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 am quote
I think I used this tool for the variator last time.

IMG_20200130_100204.jpg

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1447s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0357s) ][ Debug on ]