GT200 won't start...oil light not coming on
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
Vespa GT200 2008
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:02 pm quote
Hi, I have owned my gt200 for 12 years and it has never let me down..until today!. Yesterday it ran perfectly, the lights are strong, it's regularly serviced, has only 13000 kms and the battery is reasonably new.
I put the key in and the red immobiliser light is flashing as normal on then goes out when I turn the key to the start position but the red oil pressure light is not solid for a moment when I turn to the start position and then goes out..the green light for the lights is on when I turn the key....but when I push the start button nothing happens.
(the brake light comes on, and the headlight is very bright).

All the fuses are fine including the 15 amp one ....
If the oil pressure light is not coming on I presume there is no power to the starter circuit and ignition to?
Is there anything obvious to check as I am quite a long way from my dealer.
I've tried all 3 keys and its the same issue.
Could it just be the starter relay, the starter button or something else?

thanks very much

Nick
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 am quote
Usually it's just a dirty starter button switch. You can lever out the button and clean the contacts inside - but be very careful not to lose the tiny spring!

The starter relay can go faulty, the contacts inside can get very pitted from the arcing involved when releasing a very inductive load like the starter motor.

Both the switch and the relay are cheap to replace and/or keep as spares.
Lurker
Vespa GT200 2008
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:50 pm quote
Thanks very much; so either of those would effectively cause a break in the ignition circuit and hence prevent the oil pressure light coming on when the key is turned to the starting position?
I felt like the problem was before actually pressing the starter button so it might be the ignition switch itself. ( but electronics are a bit of a mystery to me !)
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:59 pm quote
nicholas wrote:
Thanks very much; so either of those would effectively cause a break in the ignition circuit and hence prevent the oil pressure light coming on when the key is turned to the starting position?
I felt like the problem was before actually pressing the starter button so it might be the ignition switch itself. ( but electronics are a bit of a mystery to me !)
It certainly could be the ignition switch. Again, they're very cheap to replace.
Lurker
Vespa GT200 2008
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:27 pm quote
Thanks again.. I might try that first ..
Hooked
2009 250
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 pm quote
Could be the kill switch? Try rocking it back and forth a bunch of times.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1467s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0353s) ][ Debug on ]