ABS - EFI/ASR issues after Tire Change.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
2015 - VESPA GTS300ie | 71' Lambretta GL125 | 82' P200E |
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:29 pm quote
I am off to a bad start on my scoot I got last week. So I have a 2015 Vespa GTS 300 abs. This weekend I just replaced the wheels (12inch MP3 250 Wheels) and tires (Power Pures) and put the ABS ring back correctly in the rear. The front wheel has the ABS Encoder Wheel on the hub so that was not touched at all. However, after getting everything put back together I noticed that the bike would not drive very fast and was bogging (at the time the speedo worked) I read in the manual on how to do the Calibration and put it into bypass mode to try and get it to work. Now, the Speedo no longer works and the bike will not pass self-test for EFI/ASR. I have to put it in bypass mode and it runs and drives fine (but no speedo). Anyone know what’s going on? Also, does the speedo come from the front Sensor or rear?

1. - Does the Speed Sensor work with just the front wheel? Could this just be a coincidence and have gone bad? Is there a factory reset?

2. - What is the best way to troubleshoot if I need a cable or not?

3. Is there fault codes I can read and do diagnostics?

Any help is very appreciated I don't have a Vespa Shop nearby.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:54 pm quote
I have a BV350 and I didn't have to remove the ring. I'm not sure why you removed it. Just leave it alone next time. My guess is that the ring and - or sensor was not put back on correctly. I suggest that you recheck your reinstallation of these. And make sure that you torch the main wheel nut to spec as you are doing this.
Lurker
2015 - VESPA GTS300ie | 71' Lambretta GL125 | 82' P200E |
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:06 pm quote
bean counter wrote:
I have a BV350 and I didn't have to remove the ring. I'm not sure why you removed it. Just leave it alone next time. My guess is that the ring and - or sensor was not put back on correctly. I suggest that you recheck your reinstallation of these. And make sure that you torch the main wheel nut to spec as you are doing this.
Bean, I swapped Rear wheels so I had to take the Tone Ring off in order to get the tires off. After further review this evening, I have determined that the sensor as way to close to the Tone ring. I will need to take it back off and check for proper seating. That still doesn't explain why the Speedo stopped reporting unless that is needed for reading from both the front and rear wheel?
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 pm quote
My scooter has a sensor on the front and the back. I haven't read about the sensors going bad. I doubt one would fail right when you did a tire change. I don't believe that the sensors have cables in them. I'm not sure if your speedo has a cable attached to it. Speedo cables are known to fail with use. However, since your speedo isn't working right after you messed with your sensor ring, I'm thinking your speedo issue is the side effect of a sensor issue.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:10 pm quote
I think the sensor needs to be seated right for the speedo to work.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 pm quote
You can leave the ring on when you change your tire. If you are doing this manually yourself I can see that you might want to take it off. For $25 I let a local Cycle Gear put my new tire on for me.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1312s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0349s) ][ Debug on ]