Should LX have ground lead from frame to belt cover?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 pm quote
My GT200 has a ground connection from the forward bolt of the belt cover to the frame just above.

My LX150 (also Leader engine) does not have this pigtail. I am wondering if it is missing? If there is no ground connection here, can someone tell me where it is / should be on the LX?

(I am chasing down an intermittent stalling issue, and wondering if it's a bad ground. I measure continuity between the frame and engine with an Ohm meter. But if I am missing a solid connection, I am thinking maybe that could lead to intermittent problems.)
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 pm quote
Usually if you have a bad ground to the engine, the starter motor will barely turn the engine over when you try to start it.
An easy way to find out if you have a ground to the engine problem is to run a wire from the negative terminal to the engine. You can attach it to the same place it attaches on the GT, leave it on and ride around a bit. If the problem is gone, that was your problem.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:23 am quote
There are no electrical components in the transmission so I doubt the wire is part of the electrical ground. I'd guess that it's there to prevent the belt from becoming a Van de Graaff generator; to prevent build-up of static electricity.
Addicted
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:00 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Usually if you have a bad ground to the engine, the starter motor will barely turn the engine over when you try to start it.
An easy way to find out if you have a ground to the engine problem is to run a wire from the negative terminal to the engine. You can attach it to the same place it attaches on the GT, leave it on and ride around a bit. If the problem is gone, that was your problem.
No trouble starting it, so maybe grounding is not the problem here. I was just struck by the difference with my GT.

Good tip on a test method - I think I will try that anyways. Thanks.
Addicted
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:02 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
There are no electrical components in the transmission so I doubt the wire is part of the electrical ground. I'd guess that it's there to prevent the belt from becoming a Van de Graaff generator; to prevent build-up of static electricity.
I think it would amount to the same thing? The transmission is of course electrically connected to the main block since it's all metal?
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1164s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0287s) ][ Debug on ]