Best, fastest, easiest way to remove rust from chrome. Video
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5397
Location: Home of the Alamo
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:04 pm quote
Rust on your scoot? The absolutely the best,fastest and cheapest way to remove surface rust from chrome. Two different ways shown here.

(In case your browser hates you) www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCB6QGpQZDc
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 4252
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:56 pm quote
Steel wool will work well on hard chrome, not the cheap stuff. I use a little oil rather that water on the pad. It keeps the rust away a little longer and the pad won't rust away quick. Works for me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5397
Location: Home of the Alamo
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 am quote
Tierney wrote:
Steel wool will work well on hard chrome, not the cheap stuff. I use a little oil rather that water on the pad. It keeps the rust away a little longer and the pad won't rust away quick. Works for me.
What type of oil Tierney?
Ossessionato
'09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
Joined: 13 May 2012
Posts: 2553
Location: Midway, Kentucky
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:22 am quote
A piece of aluminum foil works well on removing surface rust and will not scratch the surface.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2521
Location: Latina (Italy)
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:39 am quote
It is better to specify, there are products that simply polish and there are others that are also abrasive and are used to remove the rust spots: the first can be used with vigorously rubbing with a cloth while the second needs a rotating polishing disc.
To protect the chrome parts i give a brush stroke of vaseline oil (... for industrial use ... ), it seems strange but it works.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5397
Location: Home of the Alamo
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:25 pm quote
Attila wrote:
It is better to specify, there are products that simply polish and there are others that are also abrasive and are used to remove the rust spots: the first can be used with vigorously rubbing with a cloth while the second needs a rotating polishing disc.
To protect the chrome parts i give a brush stroke of vaseline oil (... for industrial use ... ), it seems strange but it works.
The 1001st use of the 1001 uses for Vaseline, obviously.
Ossessionato
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 2010
Location: North Jersey
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:09 pm quote
When he says steel wool will not scratch your chrome finish heís not entirely correct. There are many different Iíll call grades of chrome plating thatís possible, and steel wool can scratch it. A 40-year-old motorcycle handlebar can handle the steel wall better than something from the past couple of years, due to the more stringent more recent environmental regulations on the use of chrome plating. Thatís why todayís chrome plating isnít as good as plating from long ago.

Steel wool DID scratch the finish on the chrome muffler of a BMW motorcycle of mine when I was trying to remove a melted plastic bag from it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7902
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 pm quote
Never Dull works without scratching.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5397
Location: Home of the Alamo
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm quote
Vintage1 wrote:
When he says steel wool will not scratch your chrome finish heís not entirely correct. There are many different Iíll call grades of chrome plating thatís possible, and steel wool can scratch it. A 40-year-old motorcycle handlebar can handle the steel wall better than something from the past couple of years, due to the more stringent more recent environmental regulations on the use of chrome plating. Thatís why todayís chrome plating isnít as good as plating from long ago.

Steel wool DID scratch the finish on the chrome muffler of a BMW motorcycle of mine when I was trying to remove a melted plastic bag from it.
What grade steel wool did you use? Iíve never had any issue with #0000 grade (which I call for in the video). Anything more coarse and you may be right.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6152
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:55 pm quote
[quote="Jet Peddler"]
Vintage1 wrote:
What grade steel wool did you use? Iíve never had any issue with #0000 grade (which I call for in the video). Anything more coarse and you may be right.
+1

0000 from the furniture shop is great for waxing wood too.
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 2623
Location: San Jose, CA
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:35 pm quote
Coke and steel wool does a great job of removing rust.
Lurker
300 GTV
Joined: 10 Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Location: SoCal
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm quote
I use #00000 Steel Wool and WD-40. It works great on all but the most rusted chrome.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5397
Location: Home of the Alamo
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 pm quote
enzo5000 wrote:
I use #00000 Steel Wool and WD-40. It works great on all but the most rusted chrome.
Yeah, once the rust has eaten through the chrome and has reached the underlying metal, most all hope is gone for the ol' steel wool.
Ossessionato
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 2010
Location: North Jersey
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:37 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
What grade steel wool did you use? Iíve never had any issue with #0000 grade (which I call for in the video). Anything more coarse and you may be right.
I canít swear it was 0000. It may have been 000 but nothing coarser.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 2649
Location: Springboro, OH
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:58 am quote
Another vote for Never Dull wadding polish. works well and after a final wipe with a clean cloth, it leaves a slight amount of oil on the surface to protect.

I use it a couple times a year on my chrome bars and that's all that is needed.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1862s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0343s) ][ Debug on ]