mp3 250 will not start
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Lurker
mp3 250cc
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Location: Kentucky
Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:03 am quote
Hi,
I have a mp3 250 2007 model. It was working fine and has been sitting in the garage for last 3 months. Last week I tried to start it. I fully charged the battery and replaced with fresh gasoline. At the first try, it will start but not stay idling unless I open the throttle. Once I let the throttle go, it will shut itself off.
The 2nd try, it will not even start. I have to unplug the key, wait a few minutes, turn it on, it will start but not stay idling. Then 'Check Engine' Light will turn on.

I searched online, someone had similar problem and suggested it could be the air filter blocking the air. So I cleared the air filter. It is sure very dirty and sticky on the surface. I washed it, let it dry and then sprayed K&N air filter oil. It has the same problem even without the air filter in place.

Do you have any suggestion? Thank you.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 4207
Location: Netherlands Olst
Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:43 am quote
clean the throttlebody
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6172
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:35 am quote
Maksor wrote:
clean the throttlebody
+1
Especially the small idle air port tubes.

Also possible valve adjust needed. I just did my throttle body and valves on MP3 250, due to the scoot stalling at idle, and while the throttle body was pretty clean (~24,000 miles) the valves were all tight. ~15 miles test ride and the idle is much better and zero hint of stalling.
Addicted
MP3 250
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 999
Location: San Carlos CA
Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:12 am quote
Re: mp3 250 will not start
qdkid wrote:
Hi,
I have a mp3 250 2007 model. It was working fine and has been sitting in the garage for last 3 months. Last week I tried to start it. I fully charged the battery and replaced with fresh gasoline. At the first try, it will start but not stay idling unless I open the throttle. Once I let the throttle go, it will shut itself off.
The 2nd try, it will not even start. I have to unplug the key, wait a few minutes, turn it on, it will start but not stay idling. Then 'Check Engine' Light will turn on.

I searched online, someone had similar problem and suggested it could be the air filter blocking the air. So I cleared the air filter. It is sure very dirty and sticky on the surface. I washed it, let it dry and then sprayed K&N air filter oil. It has the same problem even without the air filter in place.

Do you have any suggestion? Thank you.
Often people forget to try the simplest stuff first. Try this, take the bike outside, put it on the center stand and disengage the tilt-lock. Now try starting the scooter and let it idle

Logic: The tilt-lock system has an rpm limiter just above idle when it is engaged and you are not sitting in the saddle. The rpm limiter works by suppressing the spark, it does not suppress the fuel. This can cause the bike to stall. If you let the bike run without the tilt-lock engaged the idle will be high for a few minutes but normally it will settle down into the correct range.

People often mistake "tilt-lock rpm limiting" at idle as a problem. This most commonly occurs when you crank the throttle while not actually putting any weight on the saddle, but it can also happen if the scooter wants to "fast idle" and you are not sitting on it. If you are sitting on it, the tilt lock will automatically disengage.
Lurker
mp3 250cc
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Location: Kentucky
Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:23 pm quote
Re: mp3 250 will not start
Thank you for the reply.

I had the idling trouble while the scooter is on center stand and tilt-lock is off. I originally parked it on stand and tilt-lock on for last 3 months. So when I first tried to start it, it started beeping for 5 seconds. I found in another thread, people suggest NOT have tilt-lock on if use stand. There could be weight pressure on the tilt sensor, especially if park for a long time. This could cause the beeping.
After I turn off the tilt-sensor and let it sit for a while, it doesn't beep any more when I try to start it. However, it will not stay idling as I described earlier.

Even though the scooter is 2007, it only has 1500 miles on it. I got it last summer, the previous owner only used 700 miles. I put another 800 miles last Fall. I researched a little. It seems the throttle body should not be dirty with this little mileage. I didn't find any youtube video/instruction on how to clean it. I attached the picture of the throttle body, (Is it the one under the seat cover?) Do I need disconnect all the wires and hose, take it out, then clean it? Is there anything special I need be aware of before taking it apart?

Thank you all for the suggestion.
Maroy wrote:
Often people forget to try the simplest stuff first. Try this, take the bike outside, put it on the center stand and disengage the tilt-lock. Now try starting the scooter and let it idle

Logic: The tilt-lock system has an rpm limiter just above idle when it is engaged and you are not sitting in the saddle. The rpm limiter works by suppressing the spark, it does not suppress the fuel. This can cause the bike to stall. If you let the bike run without the tilt-lock engaged the idle will be high for a few minutes but normally it will settle down into the correct range.

People often mistake "tilt-lock rpm limiting" at idle as a problem. This most commonly occurs when you crank the throttle while not actually putting any weight on the saddle, but it can also happen if the scooter wants to "fast idle" and you are not sitting on it. If you are sitting on it, the tilt lock will automatically disengage.


IMG_1149.JPG
mp3 throttle body

Lurker
mp3 250cc
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Location: Kentucky
Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:05 am quote
it is the battery
I was able to figure out what is wrong last week. It is the battery!

Last week, there were a few warm days. (>65F). I was able to start the scooter and drove it around. Last Saturday, it is cold again (~35F). The problem re-appeared. I have a conventional acid battery less than a year old. I followed this instruction to test the battery.
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.php?action=1&id=30
after it fully charged, it is around 12.5V. No problem
when i start the engine, it dropped to 9.5V.
It looks like it is on the edge, and the cold weather caused its capacity even worse.

I replaced it to a maintenance free AGM battery, it starts and idles fine now..
Thank you all for the suggestion.
Member
Joined: 22 Dec 2008
Posts: 49
Location: a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (now in TX)
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:16 am quote
Re: mp3 250 will not start
Quote:
Often people forget to try the simplest stuff first. Try this, take the bike outside, put it on the center stand and disengage the tilt-lock. Now try starting the scooter and let it idle

Logic: The tilt-lock system has an rpm limiter just above idle when it is engaged and you are not sitting in the saddle. The rpm limiter works by suppressing the spark, it does not suppress the fuel. This can cause the bike to stall. If you let the bike run without the tilt-lock engaged the idle will be high for a few minutes but normally it will settle down into the correct range.

People often mistake "tilt-lock rpm limiting" at idle as a problem. This most commonly occurs when you crank the throttle while not actually putting any weight on the saddle, but it can also happen if the scooter wants to "fast idle" and you are not sitting on it. If you are sitting on it, the tilt lock will automatically disengage.
This bites me every time the MP3 comes out of winter storage since the behavior (seat switch) is pretty unique to the mp3. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited by red on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4295
Location: Marietta, GA
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 am quote
Not going to help you with your issue, but just a comment.
During the winter months, I start all of mine every two weeks, let then run until they reach the normal temperature, and shut them off.

I only use Non-Ethanol, but Ethanol water separation could be problematic as the Gas is on top, and the water/ethanol is on the bottom. A lot of new video's on youtube lately on separating Ethanol from Ethanol Fuel yourself.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8663
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:23 am quote
klaborde wrote:
Not going to help you with your issue, but just a comment.
During the winter months, I start all of mine every two weeks, let then run until they reach the normal temperature, and shut them off.

I only use Non-Ethanol, but Ethanol water separation could be problematic as the Gas is on top, and the water/ethanol is on the bottom. A lot of new video's on youtube lately on separating Ethanol from Ethanol Fuel yourself.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Unless you are riding them that is not a good idea. One, idling is the least efficient time the motor is running and it is putting unburnt fuel into your oil.
At idle it really doesn't get up to temp, but the coolant does.
And at idle you are getting more carbon build up.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4295
Location: Marietta, GA
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
klaborde wrote:
Not going to help you with your issue, but just a comment.
During the winter months, I start all of mine every two weeks, let then run until they reach the normal temperature, and shut them off.

I only use Non-Ethanol, but Ethanol water separation could be problematic as the Gas is on top, and the water/ethanol is on the bottom. A lot of new video's on youtube lately on separating Ethanol from Ethanol Fuel yourself.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Unless you are riding them that is not a good idea. One, idling is the least efficient time the motor is running and it is putting unburnt fuel into your oil.
At idle it really doesn't get up to temp, but the coolant does.
And at idle you are getting more carbon build up.
Understand your logic, I think...
Assuming gas goes through the Piston Rings and goes into Oil possibly until they expand?

I always start my riding season with a Fresh Oil Change, so the Start / Stop I do over the winter months is no longer in the oil.
I also use BG44K a few times a year in all my Vehicles.

Thanks,
Keith
Marietta, GA
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1567s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0425s) ][ Debug on ]