Wheres the oil drain plug on 05 Px150?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Member
Px150 P200
Joined: 06 Jan 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Mississippi
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:54 pm quote
Wanting to change the oil. Looking for my oil drain plug(NOT GEAR OIL PLUG) on my 05 Px150
Thanks
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2178

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 pm quote
I'm being a bit of a smart aleck here, but here's a hint, it's not at the top of the engine, and gravity goes downhill...
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 3442
Location: Oceanside/ SF
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:12 pm quote
Whats wrong with your two stroke oil?
Member
Px150 P200
Joined: 06 Jan 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Mississippi
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:16 pm quote
Im under the impression it hasn't been changed in a LONG time.
Banned
2:6
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 7520
Location: San Francisco
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:30 pm quote
there is no drain other than into the injector pump. this gives two reasonable options:

1. use a long bit of fuel line to siphon it out the top
2. disconnect the oil line from the carb box and point it down to allow it to flow out.

in both cases the flow will not be all that fast, leave it overnight...
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 3442
Location: Oceanside/ SF
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:34 pm quote
Youre going to need to find a big syringe and a hose or remove the whole fuel tank and drain it then.

In order- disconnect the fuel and oil line from the engine. Find some old bolts to plug the ends. Remove the seat, unbolt the gas tank, remove the rubber frame grommet on the fuel tank selector rod, then lift the tank up and out.

Drill a screw into the end of your work table and hook the tank onto the screw via the bolt holes at the top. Unplug the bolt out of the oil line and let it drain overnight into a coffee can or something. If the oil looks good reuse it in your P200.

The actual oil tank is bolted to the gas tank. You’ll need a 15mm or maybe 17mm deep socket with a few long extensions attached. Stick the socket down through the top of the gas tank and start unscrewing the tap. You might need to hold the tap on the outside in case it starts spinning. Then unscrew the black plastic collar that joins the oil tank to the gas tank. Clean the tap and tap filter (the reason you used a deep socket). I had margarine like goo in one of mine that had been sitting for an unknown amount of time.

When it comes time for reassembly get another rubber gasket for the tap and another rubber cone for the black plastic collar. Then reverse all the steps and prime the new oil hose before you attach it back to the air box. Usually a good suck on it will prime the hose. Much faster than leaning it over to let gravity do the work.
Member
Px150 P200
Joined: 06 Jan 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Mississippi
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:37 pm quote
Thanks I will try one of those siphon pumps.
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2178

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:03 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I'm being a bit of a smart aleck here, but here's a hint, it's not at the top of the engine, and gravity goes downhill...
Oh, not gear oil plug...pay no attention to me on that then.

For draining the oil tank, i did Patrick's "option #2", and let gravity drain the majority of the oil. For the last bit that's still in the reservior, i turned my air compressor down to about 30psi and stuck the blow gun down the top of the filler neck. I then mostly sealed up it up the rest of the way with my hand. Sure lots of air leaked out past my hand, but it drained the tank very quickly (10-20 seconds).

Two stroke oil doesn't really ever go bad and shouldn't ever need to changed out...unless some sort of impurities got in there, i'd let it be. But then again i don't know what all you got going on.
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 321
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:57 pm quote
So what would happen if you just disconnected the oil feed line, put the end in a bucket and let it sit for the night? Wouldn't it gravity drain? Out of curiosity why are you changing it? I bought my first two stroke last year and I know the oil in the tank was 5+ years old. I topped it off with the oil of my choice and ran it.
Member
Px150 P200
Joined: 06 Jan 2020
Posts: 13
Location: Mississippi
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:18 am quote
When I got it the odometer wasn't working and it shows 11K+ miles and I was thinking it might be time for a change.
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 321
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:59 am quote
Please don't take this wrong but it sounds like you are trying to perform preventative maintenance the same as changing crankcase oil in a 4 stroke vehicle. Two stroke oil is burnt by the scooter just like gas. You don't need to change it, as it is used up, you keep topping it off with new 2 stroke oil. There isn't any crankcase oil like a car has. The oil, fuel and air mixture moving through the motor lube up the motor. This is what I use in my two stroke motors no complaints yet.

https://benelliquattronove.wordpress.com/tag/two-stroke-oil/

The only other oil to change is the gear oil, which does have a drain plug.

See if you can find your owners manual or service manual and it will give you a list of routine service and intervals.
Hooked
2001 LML 150 2t
Joined: 16 Jul 2017
Posts: 352
Location: Queensland, Aus
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:32 pm quote
I don't think it's a bad idea to syphon/drain the 2t oil at all especially if you bought it second hand. Chances are you have no idea what type of oil has been put in. Straight mineral oils don't mix with synthetic oils and it's necessary to drain if changing from one to the other for instance.

I syphoned out both oil tanks when I bought my 2 15 year old scooters. One reason was to pick up any crud out of the bottom. Another reason was because I wanted to start with 'my brand' and also I had no idea on what type of oil was in there.

I'd go for syphoning bc then you don't have to deal with air bubbles in the line from a complete drain and you can pick up the crud if there's any.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125 + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7657
Location: seattle/athens
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:25 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
I'm being a bit of a smart aleck here, but here's a hint, it's not at the top of the engine, and gravity goes downhill...
Oh, not gear oil plug...pay no attention to me on that then.

For draining the oil tank, i did Patrick's "option #2", and let gravity drain the majority of the oil. For the last bit that's still in the reservior, i turned my air compressor down to about 30psi and stuck the blow gun down the top of the filler neck. I then mostly sealed up it up the rest of the way with my hand. Sure lots of air leaked out past my hand, but it drained the tank very quickly (10-20 seconds).

Two stroke oil doesn't really ever go bad and shouldn't ever need to changed out...unless some sort of impurities got in there, i'd let it be. But then again i don't know what all you got going on.
Gravity drain it, get out all you can then add your new oil before reconnecting the oil line. Now blow low pressure air into the tank as described until you see clean new oil coming into your bucket, then reconnect and ride.
Addicted
Honda elite
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 850
Location: California
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:34 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
I'm being a bit of a smart aleck here, but here's a hint, it's not at the top of the engine, and gravity goes downhill...
Oh, not gear oil plug...pay no attention to me on that then.

For draining the oil tank, i did Patrick's "option #2", and let gravity drain the majority of the oil. For the last bit that's still in the reservior, i turned my air compressor down to about 30psi and stuck the blow gun down the top of the filler neck. I then mostly sealed up it up the rest of the way with my hand. Sure lots of air leaked out past my hand, but it drained the tank very quickly (10-20 seconds).

Two stroke oil doesn't really ever go bad and shouldn't ever need to changed out...unless some sort of impurities got in there, i'd let it be. But then again i don't know what all you got going on.
Gravity drain it, get out all you can then add your new oil before reconnecting the oil line. Now blow low pressure air into the tank as described until you see clean new oil coming into your bucket, then reconnect and ride.
great tip!
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1407s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0314s) ][ Debug on ]