Cheap crankcase breather with removable catchtank
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Gilera Fuoco
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:01 pm quote
Hi all you mp3 fans! Im new to the site but have been reading alot here since I bought my used Fuoco two weeks ago(just over 20000km or 12000miles on the tripmeter). Man do I love this machine and have already driven 4000km(2485miles) and have learned so much from you guys about these three wheeled awesome machines

Anyway, as I guess all of you know this masterengine blows oilmist from the crankcase by design... When I bought my Fuoco the previous owner had solved it with a tube aprox. 5cm(2”) tube to a filter since the original airbox was replaced with an open air type(shielded and looks very nice and gives the fuoco better performance for sure and a nice grunt to the sound). This solution was no good since the mist will turn to liquid in the filter and started to spill all over the motor.

So, after reading up on all these posts about it I got worried, do I have a cracked ring or do i need to replace the valve?? In my case the engine didnt really use any oil and I think on these 4000kms I have lost maybe between 10cl(3.4oz)-20cl(6.8oz). Started out on centre of dipstick and it is a little lower now after 4000km.

I thought many ideas seemed complicated so tried something simple that I had seen people mention but didnt seem that they had built it. In my various tries with breathers it seemed to be ALOT of oil coming out of the crankcase, absolutely more than the estimated 10-20cl but I guess the fluid that catches are more moisture then oil? I Also guess it depends on how your breather is built but Im not concerned about this phenomena any longer with this latest breather/catchtank I built.

I tried some even simplier versions until this one and all failed in some point(much oil in container or oil that didnt stay in the container). For it to work good I think you have to have the right pressure/vacuum(match the original airbox), a mesh that turns the mist to drops and a tank that collects that is easy to drain or remove.

For this breather I only used things that was laying around at home:

50cl(17oz) plastic can with its screw cap
30cm(12inch) plastic tube with 15mm(19/32inch) outer diameter
small piece of aluminum mesh screen
one strap
some electric tape and glue

As it is so simple to make(drilled holes in bottle) I give you some pictures(tells more then a thousand words I guess

The container itself

5cm(2”) breathertube(same tube as the one I used from the crankcase)

Picture of the 5cm tube inside the container
free pic hosting

The tube inserted in the crankcase plastic part, tight fit secured with electric tape

The other end with the screen. Drilled the cap and secured the pipe with glue and electric tape

Container held securely with plastic strap(loose strap so the container can be removed without the need for new strap every time and it works, no movement it sits very secure tucked under the left side plastic and frame) The strap around the tube is maybe not needed but used it to increase resistance and maybe it helps the valve... that is what im thinking anyways

Another angle

This is how much I collected after a 50km(31miles) with alot of hard accelerations, fast speeds and some ordinary cruising. This version of catchtank has given me lesser oil collected then previous versions and I guess that when using the original airbox alot of this would have found its way back in the motor via the throttle body and some in the drainpipes? Never used the original box that also came with the bike I might add.

And here are some pics on the Fuoco from two of my latest cruises to the swedish mountains

I hope this can help someone it the same situation and for me it works good. I can easily monitor how much there is in the tank, it is easy to drain as you just unscrew the bottle. Regardless of whats in the bottle I always check my oil level, probably too often if thats possible

Happy scootering everyone!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:07 pm quote
This is a fine solution to the problem created when the original airbox is replaced. But the original airbox was designed with the breather and reed valve so that the condensed oil would drain back into the crankcase. The reed valve creates a lower pressure in the crankcase, and oil collects outside a small hole below the reed valve, where the vacuum sucks it into the crankcase. The breather tube runs uphill to the airbox, and droplets have a chance to condense in a little rectangular trap area near the throttle body throat, then they run back down the breather tube. Anything that doesn't condense gets pulled into the throttle body and burnt in the engine.

It works pretty well, until it gets overwhelmed when the engine has too much blow-by from wear or damage, at which time the airbox fills with oil. Once that happens, no catchment system will help.

So, if you don't want to empty the catchment bottle regularly, and replace the lost oil, I would suggest that the bottom of the catchment bottle should just let the oil run back into the engine.
Gilera Fuoco
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:28 pm quote
Thanks for this explanation Squezel!

I thought from reading other posts in the matter that once oil had passed the valve it couldnt go back the same way. Someone said maybe it could if the valve wasnt up to par but what you say seems very resonable =) I see that people route the hose high so it could do just that, condensate and rise back so I guess its not true that oil cant go back that way then.

I dont think I want to reuse whatever ends up in the bottle but I could use a longer hose that I route in a different way to let as much oil as possible condensate and find its way back to the motor the same way it went out. I dont mind the little hassle of emptying the bottle and keep track of the oil level but if a longer/higher hose can minimize whats getting there its grate, thanks once again
Gilera Fuoco
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:45 pm quote
Another thing I will do beside a longer/higher hose is to fit a piece of and old airfilter over the breather hole on the bottle as I guess that would minimize water/moisture in this simple system?
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:36 pm quote
See my photo's in the thread " Another pod filter mod ??? " all mine is , is a clear plastic tube running uphill all the way with a small ram air breather filter on the end of it.
Gilera Fuoco
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:48 pm quote
3legsofman wrote:
See my photo's in the thread " another breather pod mod ??? " all mine is , is a clear plastic tube with a small ram air breather filter on the end of it.
Yeah I saw that after i had posted, nice! I will buy a new plastic hose with inner diameter of 15mm instead of the one I got now that is 12mm and route it longer/higher but to start I will have it to end up in the bottle. I will ”mount” a filter to the bottle, gonna use a small piece from an old foamfilter that I will attach over the hole. I will also put in a reduction in the end of the hose that comes into the bottle(another piece of smaller tube) to simulate that small 4mm? hole in the original airbox.

Last edited by Larsan on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:22 am quote
just replace the breather/reedvalve is a better solution

nou you will get a lower oilpressure that will cost you the pistonrings
Gilera Fuoco
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:27 am quote
Maksor wrote:
just replace the breather/reedvalve is a better solution

nou you will get a lower oilpressure that will cost you the pistonrings
Rhnx Maksor might just do that but that will be done in the winter in that case, not much time left of the dricing season here where i live in the norrh of Sweden!
Gilera Fuoco
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:04 am quote
End of saga. Ended up copying 3legsofman´s solution with a longer/higher/wider hose with a filter ontop,seems to be working good! To mimic the pressure from the original airbox i blowed in the original tube to feel what resistance it had and then I clamped this new hose on two places until I got what felt to be the same resistance while blowing and that I hope will be sufficent to keep the oil pressure good!

Happy scootering peeps!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2572s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0361s) ][ Debug on ]