Piaggio mp3 400 ie 2008 *Stalling*
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
2008 Piaggio MP3
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:24 pm quote
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all the enthusiasm on this site. Makes me feel like I'm in good hands!

I bought a 2008 practically mint condition mp3. There's only 2 issues which I believe are related.

The bike stalls rarely coming out of redlight and once at the lowest RPM. Also the "P" light is on though the parking brake works just fine. The "!" light flashes on and off occasionally.

The mechanics in Brookly seem hesitant to mess with the MP3. Most of the word I've gotten so far has been related to "throttle body cleaning".

Has anyone successfully done this? Or had a similar issue and solved it some other way.

I have electrical cleaner I'm happy to apply myself if the throttle cleaning is simple. But if its complicated I would love some direction to give to the mechanic here in Brooklyn.

All the Best.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:21 pm quote
Engine stalling is likely a dirty or clogged throttle body. May be able to fix with a spray. There should be a relevant thread around here somewhere. I wouldn't use electrical cleaner though. Carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner would be a better choice.

The "P" light for the parking brake I believe is just a mechanical switch near the lever. Could be stuck from lack of use. Unfortunately a lot of pieces need to come off in order to remove the knee panel and get to where the switch is. While you're at it, make sure the parking brake is actually functioning correctly and the parking brake cable is not sticking.

The "!" light is a warning for the tilt system. Problem with the pressure sensor? Is it leaking? Problem with the tilt motor position sensor? Is the motor not moving correctly? Tilt switch itself stuck? Mine does that and I have to manually center the switch. It's not difficult to remove the y-shaped nose piece, the windshield, and the dash cover. Then you can get a look at the tilt motor and the tilt fluid reservoir.

Would be worth your while to find the service manual here on the forum and download the pdf for a reference.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:23 am quote
Sounds like a clogged idle port. It's the small hole in the throttle body when you take the intake pipe off.
Get some throttle body cleaner and spray some in that hole while revving the motor. Motor may stall just start it back up.

Good to do an oil change afterwards too
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:49 am quote
Yes to throttle body cleaning.

Make sure you use throttle body cleaner, not carburetor cleaner, which can damage the electronics.

I used this on my 2008 MP3 400: https://tinyurl.com/y3tcmqyb
Lurker
mp3 400ie 2009
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:46 pm quote
I Will try this
Thank You
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:01 am quote
Mike Time wrote:
I Will try this
Thank You
Spray it in nice and slow and you can keep the motor running while doing it.
I spray for a minute or so then douse it good till motor stalls, then let is sit for 15-20 minutes. Then fire it up and give a little more in nice slow spray to clean any junk that loosened up out.
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:38 am quote
Similar stall-at-idle problem with my Scarabeo 500ie MASTER engine (460cc). The spray quickly bogs the engine. Suggest running it at a few thousand RPM, closing throttle, and immediately squirting into the bypass as the engine slows down.

This hasn’t done anything for me. I removed the throttle body and cleaned the bypass from both sides, which is really the right way to do it. I have no evidence the stepper motor in there is doing anything. Even disconnecting the stepper motor connector from the throttle body while idling has no definitive effect, better or worse, which I believe suggests the stepper motor is kaput. But it is hard to tell when an engine already idling badly is idling worse. EDIT: actually I’ve learned that the stepper motor resets itself when the key is turned off. You can hear it, and feel it with your hand if it’s visible, if you know to expect it.

EDIT: what seems to have worked for me (after a LOT of other troubleshooting that I won’t enumerate here) is reseating all the connections into and out of the coil. The plug wire-to-coil connection seemed a little less firm that ideal, though not loose, but the engine is running great now on the stand. (Unfortunately it will probably take me two hours to reassemble all the components I had to remove to get at the coil...such is life with an Aprilia.)
Hooked
2009 MP3 400ie
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:54 am quote
same problem as mine 2009 400cc
My problem before is that when I release the throttle it stalled sometimes it will idle for 3 to 8 seconds and it will cut off. I tried cleaning the throttle body but still same problem. until my mechanic for final trouble shooting replaced the ignition coil and wala problem solved. maybe thats another thing you can check. goodluck and ride safe
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:10 am quote
The OP is a two-post wonder and seems to have abandoned the situation despite all this good advice.

Can’t help but wonder, envirosolarmate, if your situation was a failed coil or just a loose or impaired connection. I don’t know about the MP3 but on my 08 Beo that part takes about 45 minutes of annoying disassembly to reach, it wouldn’t surprise me if it had not been touched in years if ever.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400ie
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:55 am quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
The OP is a two-post wonder and seems to have abandoned the situation despite all this good advice.

Can’t help but wonder, envirosolarmate, if your situation was a failed coil or just a loose or impaired connection. I don’t know about the MP3 but on my 08 Beo that part takes about 45 minutes of annoying disassembly to reach, it wouldn’t surprise me if it had not been touched in years if ever.
its easy access on the mp3
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2083s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0457s) ][ Debug on ]