SS 180
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '64 VBB, '66 180SS
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:10 am quote
In the spring, guy brought his dad's SS180 to a friend who has a small engine shop ( mowers, blowers, chain saws, etc. ) to have him get it running. He has been swamped with work and recently lost his helper to a heart attack ( he's OK but can't work) and has not able to get to it all summer. I said I'd take on but would like to know how hard it is to find parts for it. I have read that some things are unique and I would like to get an idea of what I'd be up against. It appears to be complete and is quite good condition but I'd go through the motor and replace the seals at least.
Thanks.
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:29 am quote
If it appears complete, then the parts like cables, bearings, seals, brake shoes, clutch plates, and rubber parts for an overhaul are not hard to find. Any of the main parts distributors will have parts or whole kits.

If gears or major engine parts are too worn out, it could take some time to find them on eBay or other such sites. Even parts like whole carbs and air boxes are out there. Whole bikes are fairly rare, but parts arenít as rare as many people think.
Banned
2:6
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:33 am quote
seals are not a fun job on these bikes, plan to replace main bearings at the same time at the very least.

Combines the pain of the VBB/super/sprint engines of needing to install the seals while the cases are hot and get the bearing in before it cools, with the absolute must of using all the specialty pullers of the Rally/P, and then sprinkle in the need for a clutch puller like a smallframe, and season it with just not being quite like anything else and very limited part availability.

It's a love/hate thing...

Need to be a skilled mechanic with a very good eye for detail and an organized build methodology. But with that, they are not that hard, but still an PITA.
Addicted
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am quote
Thanks for that. I just talked to my friend with the shop and the first thing is to get it running. Motor's free and the bike appears to be in very good condition. I'd do a leak-down on it before I bothered with opening it up and although there's the likelihood the seals will need replacement, there is evidence of work having been done to this bike at some point in its life, and they may be OK. I have confidence in my skill level and have done 7 Vespa motors including the piston-ported 150 for the Motovespa, a Rally 200 ,a VBB, a couple of SF's, as well as a TV200. As I said, I'd first make it run and go from there. I also told my friend that I would not do this without the owner's OK.
I also know that if I do run into a problem, I know where to go.
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:55 am quote
I work on a lot of stuff but I think I know my limitations.

I have some of the special tools needed but not all. I'm pretty good with many different motors but had never done a GS or SS before. So I checked around, hit up people for suggestions.

The motor had never been opened up and I wanted it done right and kept stock. I found a reliable experienced scooter mechanic, pulled the motor and sent it to him. Even then it took some time as his preferred machinist was backed up (1st oversized).

I'm glad I did it that way, YMMV
Addicted
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:41 am quote
Thanks for your input. Your experience with these machines certainly trumps ( sorry) mine and I will keep this in mind if the motor needs more than what it takes to run.
Addicted
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:45 pm quote
It's Mine Now
When I got it in my shop I found the motor was free but the points had been gapped off-the-cam and weren't closing. I got a spark but couldn't fire ether so I found 30lbs compression and pulled the cylinder. The rings were stuck in the grooves and the crank and con rod were rusty. It had been left outside with the cowl off and the air box and bellows missing so water had gone right down the carb into the case and also down the manifold into the body. The rust at the tail end of the tunnel floor is all there is on this bike.
So... new crank, piston, seals and bearings, kick start gear, cruciform, rear axle seal, points, condenser, ignition coil, air box and manifold, tires and tubes.
From what I could tell, there were not a whole lot of miles on this machine. The cylinder looked great so I just cross-hatched it with a ball hone. I filled the exhaust with kerosene for a few days and then flushed it with gasoline. I removed and cleaned the throttle tube and lubed it up. Tank was pretty good and whatever coating someone sloshed in there was in great shape. I put some gas in it and it started right up and ran like a champ. The lights even worked. I rode it around the neighborhood and was amazed at the low end torque. It's very tight and feels as solid as any I have ridden.
The owner was shocked at the cost of the work agreed on by my friend with the mower shop and says he would have just sold it. I told him it's going to be another $500 to really make it roadworthy and reliable and he agreed to sell it to me instead.
It's been painted white and then masked and painted again. No hope for any original paint underneath. It's straight and solid and the bodywork would be easy. I am curious about the single seat ( the cover's new but the frame is not) and the flat tank.
Here are some pics and one of three of mine at this point in time. And I am so tired of white and black cars... The Motovespa was that color when I got it and the little Allstate had to be Bianco Spino. I may change the color of the SS.

100_0014.JPG

100_0010.JPG

100_0012.JPG

100_0011.JPG

100_0015.JPG

100_0016.JPG

100_0018.JPG

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:41 pm quote
That there is a screen full of eye candy.
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm quote
As you noted, the tank is incorrect. An original tank is about an inch higher. The correct original seat, or original type seat, would look much better. The original is not black, but a very, very dark blue.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2032s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0345s) ][ Debug on ]