No washer at all ???
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Fuoco 500
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:45 pm quote
So I opened up my scoot yesterday to install a fuzzy washer.

I was very confused to find that there was no original washer in my scoot at all, so the whole time the outer pulley half was just up against the bushing.

I've never had a problem, never noticed anything. Not sure what to make of this. I've never opened it up before, and I've purchased this bike used from a gentleman who did all his own servicing. Did he lose the washer ? But if there was originally a washer there, I should see an imprint of sorts on the outer pulley, but no sign of it ever being there .

I've decided to just clean everything out and put it all back until I find out more.

IMG20200816142609.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:58 pm quote
lots of wear on the vari . I recommend you get a new inner and outer halves. Also get a new washer to add to the 1mm fuzzy you have now but not installed.

look at the rollers and check for wear/flat spots, replace if worn.

while your in there I would replace the belt unless you KNOW the mileage on it and its less than 3000 miles other wise you will be opening it back up in a thousand or 2 miles replacing it anyway, You don't want it to break as it creates a big mess.
Fuoco 500
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:22 am quote
Thanks OAD

The belt is only about 3000km old, Ive got proof of service from the previous owner so thats okay.

Ive ordered a 3mm "Fuzzy" to be machined from my local workshop.

I cant believe that what ive been experiencing all this time without the washers was normal, reading these forums i thought it was a normal part of owning the bike when in fact what i have been experiencing mustve been even worse compared to everyone elses experiences with just the original 2mm !

Cant wait to see what a difference it makes with the washer. From 0mm to 3 mm...

???

another thing i discovered was the bike already had dr pulley sliders 17g, but only 6 of them
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 am quote
Yep. Needs eight weights. Well at least that explains where the original washer went?

I guess you'll have to buy a new set with 8 in the packet. SR2517/8-17 or FR2517/8-17
Fuoco 500
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:31 pm quote
Finally
Finally after super long delays cos covid,

My order has arrived.

I purchased some of these from maksor scooter parts, very good prices !

Let's see how I go from 0mm washer to 3mm,

And from 6 weights to 8 weights (17g)

IMG20200915162742.jpg

Fuoco 500
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:02 am quote
holy cow
WTF

i have a new fuoco now.

smoothest ride i have ever on this thing.

It is absolutely shocking, i did not realise what i was missing this whole time, and making the jump from 0 washer, to about 3.32mm according to my caliper is absolutely shocking. The takeoff is amazing compared to before, no more low speed vibration 100% GONE. cruising RPM has increased a lot. I didnt pay too much attention but im way up there now like maybe 500 more than usual at a particular speed.

I am very happy with the washer mod and a full set of dr pulleys 17g.

You can imagine how happy everyone else is by jumping from 2mm to 3mm, but i jumped from 0mm to 3mm+
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:49 pm quote
Re: holy cow
Rolo500 wrote:
WTF

i have a new fuoco now.

smoothest ride i have ever on this thing.

It is absolutely shocking, i did not realise what i was missing this whole time, and making the jump from 0 washer, to about 3.32mm according to my caliper is absolutely shocking. The takeoff is amazing compared to before, no more low speed vibration 100% GONE. cruising RPM has increased a lot. I didnt pay too much attention but im way up there now like maybe 500 more than usual at a particular speed.

I am very happy with the washer mod and a full set of dr pulleys 17g.

You can imagine how happy everyone else is by jumping from 2mm to 3mm, but i jumped from 0mm to 3mm+
good to hear Maksor hooked you up with all the good stuff. he is the man when it comes to these MP3's. you folks in the EU are very lucky to have him .
gilera fuoco 500ie
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 am quote
So the belt goes on then the fuzzy washer then the outer half?
Fuoco 500
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 am quote
nope
oddjob1 wrote:
So the belt goes on then the fuzzy washer then the outer half?
Yes

The washer sits between the two halves. It is meant to push the halves further apart

tip:

To get the right clearances to work around youll need to have the belt sit low on the other pulley (clutch side). So you gotta somehow pull that pulley apart and get the belt in as far as you can, If you have good finger strength you can just have your palms on the clutch bell, fingers on the inner pulley half , and pull it towards you and gravity should drop the belt lower as the halves open.

Put it back on the axle and that should leave the belt loose enough on the variator pulley so you can put it together and tighten it up correctly without squishing the belt.

Once the bike runs itll correct itself.

Hope that helps !
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 am quote
Yep, as far as I remember, New South Wales is about as far from Wales as you can get and still breathe air. Both great places to live, I'd heard, too.

Careful with the allowing the bike to run before tightening the variator nut, though- I had the outer sheave on caddy-wumpus, and the nut was pretty tight, started the bike up and immediately stripped the sheave. Make sure the belt isn't being pinched and the nut is torqued before starting the motor! I learned my lesson.
gilera fuoco 500ie
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 pm quote
I changed the belt a few months back but don't remember a washer being there.maksor may have another customer..17g weights and a few washers
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2811s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0858s) ][ Debug on ]