New Shock Absorber Help/Advice for Vespa PX200
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:00 am quote
Hello-

Hoping everyone is well.

Can anybody offer me some advice on new shock absorbers for my 1998 PX200? I currently have Biturbo shocks (12+ years old) and I'm looking to replace them. Thinking of either the same updated Biturbos or the BGM PRO SC/F16 COMPETITION.

I ride pretty aggressive, not crazy, but sometimes ride on some bumpy tarmac and I'm looking to dial-in my suspension just right for my riding style and roads here. Greece baby!

I'm open to any other shock absorber recommendations/suggestions too.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers from John down in Greece.

bi-tubo-px-front-shocker-2-zoom.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hooked
Vespa Supertech 2019 (EURO3/APAC)
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:05 pm quote
First problem, clearly you've got your bitubo from a mirror universe 😛
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:18 pm quote
steelbytes wrote:
i also highly doubt he's got twin turbo shocks.

Bitubo NOT Biturbo

as any good pirate can tell you it sometimes comes down to the placement of the RRRRRR

but yes, those are good shocks. comparable to the bitubos with a little softer ride.

-g
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:51 am quote
steelbytes wrote:
He-he

I didn't see that...I need new glasses...something "felt" a bit weird about that pic...
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:58 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
steelbytes wrote:
i also highly doubt he's got twin turbo shocks.

Bitubo NOT Biturbo

as any good pirate can tell you it sometimes comes down to the placement of the RRRRRR

but yes, those are good shocks. comparable to the bitubos with a little softer ride.

-g
Good to see some old familiar names still here. Hope you are well Greasy! I haven't bene back to Redondo Beach in over 4 years now...missing California...

Thanks for replying to my post. This was the type of info I was looking for when comparing the Bitu(R)bos versus the BGM's. I think I'm gonna go for there BGM's...

Thanks again for replying and have a nice crispy chicken, beef or fish taco for me...one of things I greatly miss about California when living on a Greek island.

Cheers and safe riding to you Greasy.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:20 am quote
us old salty types just keep hanging around.

i'll make some chorizo tacos in your honor!

but yeah, there's tons of really great equipment now. BGM and SIP are making some affordable top quality stuff. malossi still makes a johnny kick ass front shock that's double adjustable.

i'm not trying to shit on bitubo, but there's stuff that's better and cheaper now and there's stuff that's the same price and wayyyy better now.

hth

-g
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:14 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
i'll make some chorizo tacos in your honor!

-g
Man that makes my mouth water! It's been so long that chorizo wasn't even on my radar...

Maybe swing by In-N-Out and eat a couple of double-doubles for me as well...you pick the flavor of shake...I like 'em all! Ha!

There is great/awesome food here in Europe of course, but the two things that I have yet to see beat living here are a super tasty crispy taco and a proper cheeseburger like we have back in the states.

Again, thanks for the advice on the shocks Greasy...looks like BGM for the win.

1375298418004-XXX-Great-American-Bites-In-N-Out-05-3299-1307311547_16_9.jpg

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:10 am quote
My bitubo lost its red plastic coating on the spring within a year.

I also found that the external reservoir made it harder to work on the front end. I went back recently to an RMS, which is much cheaper and seems to be very good quality.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:05 am quote
yackee wrote:
My bitubo lost its red plastic coating on the spring within a year.

I also found that the external reservoir made it harder to work on the front end. I went back recently to an RMS, which is much cheaper and seems to be very good quality.
Hi yackee-

Thanks for your post.

I've had a very good experience with the Biturbos that I put on my scoot. I can only compare them to the original shocks that came on the bike, so take that for what it's worth. But still, no complaints...glad the RMS shocks are working-out for you now.

I'm looking forward to putting on the BGM shocks to see what difference there may be. Hopefully a better one. I'll post again in the future once I get the shocks on my bike and driven on them for a bit.

Cheers.

John
VNA VBB VBC VLX
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:40 pm quote
Hiya, You guys have any shock suggestions for a VBC with 10" wheels? I had the SIP performance 2.0 fr rr set but felt like they were a little unforgiving on Honolulu's junk roads. I just passed them off to another vespa nerd here and I'm ready to try something else. I have some old original type shocks on there now but they don't seem to do much besides take up space
Addicted
P125X, P200E
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:09 pm quote
This may be (another) dumb question but I just don't know so I'll ask. Is there really much difference in shocks? I replaced the old stock shocks on my p200 with Perfshocks from ScooterMercato and I didn't really notice any difference. Would I have felt a difference with Bitubo or some other premium brand?

My riding style is Old Man Wimpy so I don't put a lot of demand on my suspension.
Addicted
P125X, P200E
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:08 pm quote
Quote:
Is there really much difference in shocks?
Anybody on my dumb question?
VNA VBB VBC VLX
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:02 pm quote
Well I've been riding my vbc around on some old original type shocks a few days now and is a more comfortable ride compared to the SIP set I pulled off. I, like you, enjoy the "old man wimpy" style. My conclusion is that I need a shock that is functional... not completely worn out but that's about it. Anything more performance oriented just makes my scoot unpleasant on the rough pavement here in Hawaii
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:03 pm quote
Fatbear5 wrote:
Quote:
From tuning shocks in racing applications in cars, there's a difference. Guessing that you and I aren't pushing our scoots to tire squealing around corners so we can't tell the difference.
Hooked
PX150E
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:14 pm quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Fatbear5 wrote:
Quote:
From tuning shocks in racing applications in cars, there's a difference. Guessing that you and I aren't pushing our scoots to tire squealing around corners so we can't tell the difference.
Completely agree. If the roads you ride on are as smooth as the ones here in NW Florida, and ride as "conservatively" as I do, then you won't feel the difference. I replaced my 30+ years old original shocks after 40,000 miles with new standard shocks, and yes, I did notice a slight improvement. However, in my case it was expected.
Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:17 pm quote
Still trying to decide on my performance shocks, but so far I think they are better than the bitubos I removed. Im 220lbs and crappy roads in my area meant that the bike felt too squishy and uncomfortable. Only put some minimal effort into adjusting my shocks so far, but even with minimal adjustments I was able to dial it in a little better for my weight and roads. I'll reserve whether they are worth the extra for the time when i finally spend a few hours setting them up correctly and doing some fine tuning. But maybe my improvement is going from tired old shocks to new. Can't say for sure.
Hooked
Vespa PX200
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:13 pm quote
Comfort and handling are two things that different shocks do differently, and more than the uninitiated might expect.

One thing not brought up here though is *safety*. A while back, after growing used to how a set of SIP shocks and then a set of Fournales would eat up the big holes, I took my dad's '81 P200 for a spin to Toronto and back. It still had the clapped-out Piaggio originals, front and rear. I hit a not-so-big divot in the road somewhere south of Union Station, and am still not sure how I didn't dump the bike: that little dip sent the front pogoing all over the place. Scared the bejesus out of me.

I came away from that convinced that it's a good idea to invest in decent suspension. Just like investing in a decent helmet.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1682s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0413s) ][ Debug on ]