Sito+ not fitting on P200E
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
1977 P200e
Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:37 pm quote
Hello All: I just received a Sito+ exhaust for my P200E but cannot get the mounting bolt hole to line up for the life of me. Once the flange side is slipped onto the exhaust port, there is very limited movement available to line up the mounting hole on the Sito+ to the mounting hole in the swingarm. It appears the Sito+ holes are about 3/4" off (too far right), when looking from the rear.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I removed the rear tire for more room to work but it didn't help.
Hooked
'87 PX200E; '65 V90; '59 Lambretta Li125
Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:07 pm quote
mount the sito with the bolt first. only stick the bolt through the first flange, do not tighten the bolt. this should keep the pipe from falling, and give you some wiggle room.
Slide header over the exhaust port. If it needs coaxing, use a block of wood and a hammer. Tighten the clamp on the header.
Go back to the flange bolt. Now tighten that down. It ought to go right in.
nothing at all
Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 am quote
those garages look familiar,and that awsome bike does too.

what area are you in kev.
Ossessionato
Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:29 am quote
did you send away for the sito+ ?
where'd you buy it
Molto Verboso
2007 GT200 1979 P200E 1980 P200E 2011 Triumph America
Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 am quote
I had to spread the bracket apart to get it on. I then used a dremel to cut to nut holder so I could remove the nut. The brackets were way off. I then used a new bolt and lock washer/nut. After slipping the neck on I used a friend to hold a pry bar to push the body of the exhaust away from the exhaust port side. Next I taped the nut onto the end of a screwdriver to hold into place while I turned the bolt and caught the nut. It's kind of a bitch and really takes two people. I'm not sure why Sito doesn't even come close in mounting the brackets.
1977 P200e
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:29 am quote
SteveinSac wrote:
I had to spread the bracket apart to get it on. I then used a dremel to cut to nut holder so I could remove the nut. The brackets were way off. I then used a new bolt and lock washer/nut. After slipping the neck on I used a friend to hold a pry bar to push the body of the exhaust away from the exhaust port side. Next I taped the nut onto the end of a screwdriver to hold into place while I turned the bolt and caught the nut. It's kind of a bitch and really takes two people. I'm not sure why Sito doesn't even come close in mounting the brackets.
After wrestling around for an hour more, I gave up. I spread the bracket so it cleared the swingarm; however, the holes were still way off. I tried mounting the bracket side first, but I just dont feel comfortable with all that pressure pulling on the exhaust port of the head, Iron or not. When I have some more time and pick up some more new power tools I'll modify the bracket. For now, it's back to stock, which isn't all that bad.

I picked up the Sito+ from ScooterWorks and would try to return it if I didn't "adjust" it so much.

Jimmy, I'm in the South Bay, Torrance area.
nothing at all
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 am quote
hey kev,you are not that far.

the stock pipe is good.

take your time with "fitting" things so you don't make more work for your self.

i would like to suggest contacting mario from the southbay scooter club.

you can google them,they are all around you and a great crowd.

i am haveing dirty tank-cloged jet issues at this moment or i would ride down right now. day off and nice weather,yea.

i am glad someone snagged that bike,sweet ride.

lets keep in touch.

jimmy
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:49 pm quote
Brings back memories of what I was told as a teenager by our family's auto mechanic:

If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer. If it still don't fit, use a torch.

Al
nothing at all
Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm quote
hey kev,you know al might have a point.

you could be agressive with this fit if need be.

the stock barrel and stub are almost bullet proof,unlike a mallossi where you would not want to beat on it.

rubber mallet,hammer with a little piece of two by four?
nothing at all
Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm quote
hey kev,you know al might have a point.

you could be agressive with this fit if need be.

the stock barrel and stub are almost bullet proof,unlike a mallossi where you would not want to beat on it.

rubber mallet,hammer with a little piece of two by four?
1977 P200e
Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:57 pm quote
OK, today was a long day... I couldn't let the difficult Sito+ defeat me, so I took to it with my little Dremel. After 4 metal cutting wheels, the Sito+ bolts right up.

I took a trip down to ScooterShop in Orange today for a gear shift cable adjuster bolt/nut (thread broke off in housing), and the guy there gave me some words of encouragement regarding the Sito+ so I was once again determined.

Today I ended up getting the Sito+ mounted up, jetted the main to 118, changed both gear shifter inner cables and adjuster bolt/nut, and finished with a Hefenwizen.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take out the gas/oil tanks to replace the oil level window because it's really aged.

Once the new Pirelli SL26 tires arrive on Wednesday, hopefully the rain will have came and gone so I can ride.

Jimmy, my buddy did a few runs with SBSC. I have to get down to one of their meetings/rides. They sound like a great bunch of guys/gals.
Ossessionato

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:47 pm quote
Is that the P that was for sale on Craigslist?? Did you buy it or are you the OG owner?
1977 P200e
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 pm quote
VLBJS1 wrote:
Is that the P that was for sale on Craigslist?? Did you buy it or are you the OG owner?
It was the P on Craigslist up until last month. The previous owner was an avid Scooterist and used it for his daily commute. I'm the opposite, daily garaged and weekend warrior, at least for now.
Molto Verboso
2007 GT200 1979 P200E 1980 P200E 2011 Triumph America
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:58 pm quote
Ours alike.
Ossessionato

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:44 pm quote
kevpoppapump wrote:
VLBJS1 wrote:
It was the P on Craigslist up until last month. The previous owner was an avid Scooterist and used it for his daily commute. I'm the opposite, daily garaged and weekend warrior, at least for now.
Very cool...congrats on a super nice P!
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1417s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0274s) ][ Debug on ]