BV 350 (or BV350) RAM-Mount Ball for GPS -- Clean and Easy
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Molto Verboso
None
Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:44 am quote
This mounting is to support my GPS on the BV 350. It uses a through-bolt version of the 1-inch RAM ball.

The RAM part number is "RAM-B-367U". This mount is designed to attach to handlebar clamps with 8mm bolts. Three different lengths of 8mm 8.8 bolts are included -- which you won't need for this project.

The other parts for this project are:

1 ea. - 5mm x 65mm stainless steel Allen cap screw
1 ea. - #10 x 1" (long) x 5/16 OD aluminum spacer
4 ea. - 5mm stainless steel flat washer
2 ea. - 6mm or #10 stainless steel flat washer (SAEs tend to have wider flanges)

I needed to take a rat tail file to one end of the spacer to get the cap screw through. It was more than just a little metal from cutting the spacer -- that end of the spacer just had a smaller ID.

As you might deduce from the pictures:

-- remove the stock black 5mm screw from the middle windscreen support.
-- Load two washers (5mm, then #10 or 6mm), the spacer, and the RAM ball onto the cap screw.
-- Load the remaining four washers (#10 or 6mm, followed by three 5mm).
-- Dab of Locktite.
-- Install.

I used the short RAM arm (RAM-B-201U-A). I discarded the wing nut in favor of a 1/4-20 lock nut. I tried the locking knob before and it rattled like mad when locked (which leaves the knob loose). I keep an 11mm ratcheting combination wrench (or use 7/16") in the scooter and this works much better than either the wing nut or the locking knob.

120616-ram-x100-008.jpg
View of installed RAM-Mount ball.

120616-ram-x100-009.jpg
Slightly different view.

120616-ram-x100-010.jpg
The parts. The first set of washers and the spacer are loaded onto the cap screw.

120616-ram-x100-012.jpg
Mounted with GPS in place.

120616-ram-x100-013.jpg
Stepping back for a view of the cockpit. Old mount can be seen on left windscreen support.

120616-ram-x100-015.jpg
Driver's view. (The power cable was later secured to the windscreen support.)

Molto Verboso

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:59 am quote
Looking good
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:04 am quote
I like having the option of adding another Ram mount to my scooter if I decide to use a second camera. Very nice work!
Hooked
BV350 gts 250 older sport 100, T5, cx 650
Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:35 am quote
so how fast is your bv ?? I want to buy that ram mount for my bv now. That's a great install. My little tom tom just had no place to mount , mine hits 140 kph easy,on a wind free day 150 kph, and yes I don't think its the real speed ,5 off + -
Hooked
2015 GTS SUUUUPPPPEEEERRRRR,
Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:37 am quote
NICE!
Hooked
BV350 gts 250 older sport 100, T5, cx 650
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:17 am quote
order parts , a big thanks for the wright up ,very nice .
Molto Verboso
None
Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:22 pm quote
Gaber wrote:
so how fast is your bv ?? I want to buy that ram mount for my bv now. That's a great install. My little tom tom just had no place to mount , mine hits 140 kph easy,on a wind free day 150 kph, and yes I don't think its the real speed ,5 off + -
I haven't maxed it out yet -- still breaking it in with commuting, errands, and "gentlemen's" rides in the country.
Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:54 pm quote
Looks very clean Larry.
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350
Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:26 am quote
Re: BV 350 (or BV350) RAM-Mount Ball for GPS -- Clean and Ea
LJClark wrote:
This mounting is to support my GPS on the BV 350. It uses a through-bolt version of the 1-inch RAM ball.
LJClark, thanks for the great write up and pics! Two questions:

1) Do you feel the M5 bolt will stand up to the weight and vibrations of the installed GPS?

B) Seeing your Laminar Lip I was wondering how effective you felt it to be? I am looking for a quieter windshield, not a bigger one.

Off to find the 65mm M5 bolt - not your standard household item!
Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm quote
sloliver wrote:
LJClark wrote:
LJClark, thanks for the great write up and pics! Two questions:

1) Do you feel the M5 bolt will stand up to the weight and vibrations of the installed GPS?
I installed this last summer and have had no vibration issues. It is dead steady when traveling, shakes only on the center stand. Get the shortest Ram connector to keep the position low and tight to the windscreen.
Molto Verboso
GTS 300
Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:15 am quote
Solution fot LX & GTS :

Progetto RAM (for LX & GTS)
Hooked
BV350
Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:49 am quote
I have managed to fit this to my new BV350. Thanks. I am getting a fair amount of vibration, which it'd be useful to lower. Any suggestions? I will have a play this weekend to try and figure something out.
Also, more importantly, how do you run power to the unit? I ran a cable from the cigarette plug in the glove box, but obviously that is waterproof and needed to be open. Any none evasive method for running an iPhone cable (and keeping waterproof when not in use)? I'd even consider adding in a USB charger instead/as well as.

Thanks
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350
Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 pm quote
Center mounted RAM adapter
I too have done LJClark's GPS mod - thank you for the research - and have found it to be very effective. I little vibration, but the whole bike vibrates to a certain extent. Looks almost OEM.

As to power, I am simply running a cable down to the 12v outlet. Living in the desert rain isn't a significant factor. If it starts raining, I'll probably go in (with GPS in hand) and have a cup of coffee. Storms out here don't last long but they can be news worthy .

Thank you!
Hooked
GTS 300ie
Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm quote
My Quick solution for one day trip ))

The other side of type in my Iphone ))
Hooked
BV350
Thu May 09, 2013 1:45 am quote
Well, my holder is working great. I've used some sort of loctite to keep it from vibrating free. Worked fantastically when I travelled from London to Wiltshire/Somerset last weekend. (TomTom - twisting roads only please!) ...

Am just wondering when a mechanic would try and attempt to undo this bolt for the middle windscreen support? If they wanted to remove the front panel, they can leave in place?

Thanks
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Sat May 18, 2013 5:42 am quote
LJClark wrote:

2 ea. - 6mm or #10 stainless steel flat washer (SAEs tend to have wider flanges)

Where did you find the 65 mm allen cap screw? I haven't shopped in stores yet, but looked at probolt.com and haven't yet found the screw you reference. Thanks.
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350
Sun May 19, 2013 4:07 am quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
LJClark wrote:

Where did you find the 65 mm allen cap screw? I haven't shopped in stores yet, but looked at probolt.com and haven't yet found the screw you reference. Thanks.
I bought mine from https://www.boltdepot.com. I doubled the order on the bits as s&h was more than the purchase! Not included was the RAM mount (amazon.com) and the bushing.

By the way, the mount works wonderfully!

#6456 - Metric socket cap, Stainless steel 18-8, 5mm x 0.8mm x 65mm $0.55
#4515 - Metric flat washers, Stainless steel 18-8, 5mm $0.05
#4516 - Metric flat washers, Stainless steel 18-8, 6mm $0.06
#14826 - Metric high collar lock washers, Alloy steel black oil finish, 5mm $0.05
Shipping $5.95
Total $7.79
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Sun May 19, 2013 6:55 am quote
Thanks Sloliver!
Appreciate the link and part numbers. Thanks.
1968 Vespa Granturismo, 2012 Stella 4t, 2013 Vespa 300SS
Sun May 19, 2013 12:24 pm quote
My solution was much the same at the original post.[/img]

IMG_1202.JPG
Ram mount added to windscreen center mount. This is part #RAM-B-342U and is listed as "Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1" Ball". It came with a bunch of other parts but this is all I used and the price was under $15. The whole setup was u

IMG_1204.JPG
whole thing mounted. Quick and easy

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 pm quote
sloliver wrote:
TN_Sooner wrote:
LJClark wrote:

I bought mine from https://www.boltdepot.com. I doubled the order on the bits as s&h was more than the purchase! Not included was the RAM mount (amazon.com) and the bushing.

By the way, the mount works wonderfully!

#6456 - Metric socket cap, Stainless steel 18-8, 5mm x 0.8mm x 65mm $0.55
#4515 - Metric flat washers, Stainless steel 18-8, 5mm $0.05
#4516 - Metric flat washers, Stainless steel 18-8, 6mm $0.06
#14826 - Metric high collar lock washers, Alloy steel black oil finish, 5mm $0.05
Shipping $5.95
Total $7.79
I've found everything but the spacer. Has anyone been able to source the spacer?
Molto Verboso
None
Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:58 am quote
ScooterGirlinAL wrote:
I've found everything but the spacer. Has anyone been able to source the spacer?
The spacer should be a hardware store item. Look for a retailer that has that aisle of little hardware drawers. My local Ace Hardware has them, and I would bet the Lowes will also. You can also try Home Despot.

You can also use steel, chromed steel, or nylon. The spacer is just an alternative to a stack of washers to keep everything in line and spaced out properly. If you already have the long bolt and washers, print the photo that shows all the parts, and take the bolt, RAM mount, and a couple of the washers with you when you go shopping.
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:55 pm quote
LJClark wrote:
ScooterGirlinAL wrote:
The spacer should be a hardware store item. Look for a retailer that has that aisle of little hardware drawers. My local Ace Hardware has them, and I would bet the Lowes will also. You can also try Home Despot.

You can also use steel, chromed steel, or nylon. The spacer is just an alternative to a stack of washers to keep everything in line and spaced out properly. If you already have the long bolt and washers, print the photo that shows all the parts, and take the bolt, RAM mount, and a couple of the washers with you when you go shopping.
I got back into town today and the parts had arrived in the mail. I tried Lowes and Fastenal for the spacer before I left town, no joy. I have a stack of washers, but I'll try a hardware store tomorrow. Thanks for your help LJ!
Hooked
2013 Piaggio BV350 Silver
Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:33 pm quote
I found the one inch aluminum spacer at Home Depot recently. Also 3/4 and 1/2 inch long were on offer. Try searching their website and then check store availability. Then call and get somebody to haul it out and put it aside for you. I wouldn't have found it on my own as it was in a low unmarked drawer. Each store's internal computer system will tell the employee where the part is physically located. Good luck!
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:02 pm quote
RogerJ wrote:
I found the one inch aluminum spacer at Home Depot recently. Also 3/4 and 1/2 inch long were on offer. Try searching their website and then check store availability. Then call and get somebody to haul it out and put it aside for you. I wouldn't have found it on my own as it was in a low unmarked drawer. Each store's internal computer system will tell the employee where the part is physically located. Good luck!
I went to a local hardware store, no joy finding the spacer, then on to Home Depot, I spotted a long time employee there and he took me straight to the bin and we pulled a 3/4" and a 1" spacer. When it cools off a bit my dog and I will get outside and as he lounges in the shade I will piece this together and get it fitted on my scooter.

I could have saved a stop at the local hardware if I had spotted your post, Roger. On second thought, it is a beautiful day and it is great to be out on the scooter.
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 am quote
The ram mount was put in place last night. I bought black fingernail polish to paint the bolt, washers, and stem located below the ram ball.

Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350
Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:06 pm quote
Thank you for the excellent mounting instructions! Locating the 65mm screw has proven impossible, locally. I just wanted to add that I did find a 70mm screw, and it still works perfectly.

Thanks again!
Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:37 pm quote
Yet more kudos to this forum! Successfully installed the RAM ball on my BV350 today using the parts list having ordered the hard-to-find 65mm bolt from the online bolt website noted here.

I ordered a variety of lengths, the 60mm, 65mm, and 70mm just in case I wanted a little flexibility -- glad I did because with the Givi windscreen and hence without using the windscreen center mounting point or associated bracket, the 60mm was a better fit.

A nice liberal amount of loctite should keep things nice and snug!

I completed the installation in about 5 minutes (would have gone faster but I had to hunt around for the right size hex bit). I can't wait to take it out for a spin to see how stable/vibrate-y the mount is (or isn't).

I ordered a weather-resistant iPhone 5 case from RAM for it that doesn't actually have openings for headphone jack or lightning cable, will need to xacto in some slots for them.
Addicted
MP3 250 -> MP3 400 -> Gilera Fuoco -> SRV 850 -> Beverly 350
Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:33 am quote
TCjohn wrote:
My solution was much the same at the original post
Ram mount added to windscreen center mount. This is part #RAM-B-342U and is listed as "Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1" Ball". It came with a bunch of other parts but this is all I used and the price was under $15
I did this set up the other day. Simple and perfect. Also got the shorter of the RAM 'arms' to go with.

It does wobble just as the screen wobbles, but only when you're crossing rough ground. No wobble/vibration normally.

I'm a little worried about the wobbling causing the M5 bolt to maybe fatigue and snap, but *shrug* it's supposed to be built for just this purpose.
Piaggio Beverly ST 350
Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:06 am quote
TCjohn wrote:
Hi TCjohn, that looks really neat. I've just replaced my stock windscreen with one which only has two supporting brackets so where the centre bracket was there's now a hole. From what I understand you're saying the Ram ball-mount (RAM-B-342U) will fit directly into that hole and can then be tightened up as the makers suggest. To me the RAM fitting looks a lot larger than the screw hole left after removing the centre bracket which also doesn't appear to have enough depth to be able to push the fitting in far enough to be secure. Am I looking at this wrongly? Also in your photo you have an aluminum bracket which attaches the RAM mount to your screen which I wouldn't have, so I'm not sure if that's an important part of your RAM mount set-up or is just extra support for the screen.
I'm looking at a video where a guy is fitting one of these to a bike's fork stem and he's cut the cone thing to size and then attached a nut to the bottom end so that the central screw can be tightened and the cone expands to fit the hole tightly. Am I right in thinking that in our case, the bolt which goes through the centre of the whole thing might screw into the screw hole on the bike itself, left after removing the centre bracket and tighten it all up that way, rather than screwing into the supplied nut?
I hope you understand what I'm not saying very well, but your help would be much appreciated.
So basically if you're saying that I just need to buy the RAM ball assembly with no other parts - other than those needed to attach a phone or something to the ball, remove the old bracket which attached to the stock windscreen and then the cone shaped RAM attachment can be inserted far enough to form a good solid mounting, then I'm going to order one right away. I just can't see how it could be that easy, so I'm eager to hear from you if I'm reading it right, if you don't mind. Thanks & regards, John
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:51 am quote
LJClark wrote:
This sounds like something I want to do for my BV. I have a few questions. I never shop for hardware; If I go into the hardware section at Home Depot will I easily be able to find these parts?
LJClark wrote:
I needed to take a rat tail file to one end of the spacer to get the cap screw through. It was more than just a little metal from cutting the spacer -- that end of the spacer just had a smaller ID.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Was the hole in the spacer to small, but only on one end?
LJClark wrote:
I used the short RAM arm (RAM-B-201U-A). I discarded the wing nut in favor of a 1/4-20 lock nut. I tried the locking knob before and it rattled like mad when locked (which leaves the knob loose). I keep an 11mm ratcheting combination wrench (or use 7/16") in the scooter and this works much better than either the wing nut or the locking knob.
From the picture, it looks like you removed the plastic tightening knob and replaced it with a bolt. Is that the lock nut?

Also, I realize this post is right at 3 years old, and it looks like OP has not posted since May 2014. Hoping someone else might chime in though to help out.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 am quote
waterboysh wrote:
Also, I realize this post is right at 3 years old, and it looks like OP has not posted since May 2014. Hoping someone else might chime in though to help out.
I did this mod and it worked out perfectly just as LJClark described it. The 5mm x 65mm stainless cap screw was hard to find. As I recall, I ordered some though Fastenall. I don't remember having any trouble with the spacer. If I did, I probably chucked it in a drill press and drilled it out.

I kept the original Ram Mount locking knob and have had no problems.

And many kudos to LJClark for a brilliant idea!
Piaggio Beverly ST 350
Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:52 am quote
Thanks mate It works a treat, but it's a bit of a sod keeping the washers on at the far end. I tried Loctite with no success, but I found the parts on eBay and it was pretty cheap. It's as solid as a rock now. Cheers, John.
Lurker

Thu May 26, 2016 1:02 am quote
I have used the original M8 RAM Allen cap screw. Is is possible to drill the hole up using a 7.5 mm drill. With a M8 tapping thread I made the hole suitable for the original M8 Allen cap screw. The plastic mount for the windshield can also adapt a M8 screw.
Because I have a Givi windshield I did not use the middle mount. However, it was neccesary to shorten the Allen screw with 1 cm otherwise the headlight will not fit.

IMG_20160524_200953.jpg
Final result

IMG_20160524_200935.jpg

Piaggio Beverly ST 350
Thu May 26, 2016 1:20 am quote
Dam023 wrote:
I have used the original M8 RAM Allen cap screw. Is is possible to drill the hole up using a 7.5 mm drill. With a M8 tapping thread I made the hole suitable for the original M8 Allen cap screw. The plastic mount for the windshield can also adapt a M8 screw.
Because I have a Givi windshield I did not use the middle mount. However, it was neccesary to shorten the Allen screw with 1 cm otherwise the headlight will not fit.
Hi Dam023. I didn't use the bolt that came with the RAM mount, so I can't advise you on that I'm afraid. I was able to find the cap screw specified in the original thread fairly easily on eBay, I think. I could try find out exactly where I got them from if you like, but you'll need something to use as a spacer as they're a fair bit narrower than the one that comes with the RAM mount. I used a short length of (white) quite stiff nylon tube for that and everything works a treat. I have a Kappa shield but it's identical to the GIVI one, except it was cheaper. So there was no middle mount on mine either. Hope that helps.
Hooked
BV 350 ABS/ASR
Tue May 16, 2017 12:16 pm quote
TCjohn wrote:
A variation with my Malossi Shied.

1 Aluminum Spacer w/6mm hole

[img][/img]

I Drilled one end; not all the way out; to a little over the length of the threads on a 10mm 1 inch ram ball, and then I tapped it.
[img][/img]

I trimmed a 3mm socket flat head screw around the edges so it would fit the 10mm threaded hole in the spacer. (5mm bolt size - is the same as stock mounting bolt)

Then I mounted the ram ball to the spacer. Next, mount a slip grip for my Iphone.

Addicted
2019 BV 350
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:25 pm quote
I followed TCjohn's advice and ordered the RAM Mount (RAM-B-176-A-UN7) from Amazon ($57.99). The installation is so clean and easy that I think Piaggio designed this piece for an optional RAM mount. All I did was remove the Piaggio bolt, and than screw in the bolt that comes with the RAM.

P7310004.jpeg

P7310006.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:17 pm quote
I do not trust the RAM X _Mount. The phone can come out of that WAY to easy.
I like the new Quad Lock. You could flip the bike over and your phone will still be in the Quad Lock.
https://www.quadlockcase.com/
They have cases for popular phones, I used the universal adhesive mount.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1921s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0377s) ][ Debug on ]