Large Givi Windshield for BV350
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 1234Next
Addicted
Piaggio Beverly Sport Tourer (BV350)
Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 am quote
I've just collected my Givi windshield. Will take "before and after" pics when assembled. Also closeups of the kit. Meanwhile here's a scan of the assembly instructions. Looking good

givi358a800.jpg
Givi A358A assembly instructions. Givi website says this is good for BV350 also.

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:33 am quote
Re: Large Givi Windshield for BV350
Kruella_DV wrote:
I've just collected my Givi windshield. Will take "before and after" pics when assembled. Also closeups of the kit.
So far my windscreen seems to hit me just right, sending air just over the top of the helmet. It might be a bit noisier than the screen on my GT200, but it's not bothering me as of yet.

I look forward to seeing your pictures and reading your impressions of the screen after riding with it for a bit. It looks like the assembly directions are straight forward.
Addicted
Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 am quote
Well, the Givi windshield is fitted. It took about one hour in all. No problems.

1) Removed stock windshield (3 screws)
2) Removed mirror stalks to release stock windshield mounts
3) Assembled Givi windshield arm components. The windshield mounts in tubes welded to the handlebars thoughtfully provided by Piaggio.
4) Inserted windshield arms into the tubes, giving each bolts a healthy tap with a leather mallet to ensure fully seated.
5) Attached rubber grommets to windscreen.
6) Attached windshield to mounts using collets, nuts & bolts provided.
7) Tightened thes nuts, then tightened the allen bolts on the windshield mounts.
8 ) re-attached and adjusted the rear-view mirrors.

First Impressions? No draught on my hands. No wind on my helmet either, but I am looking through the top 3" of the windshield. Can hear a little more engine noise. Probably have knocked 5mph off the top speed. I feel quite cozy behind this barn door. I'll wait until I've covered enough miles to work out fuel consumption before considering cutting the windshield down a tad so that I look over it. That's irreversible though so I'll see if I get used to it before doing anything dramatic.

P1010363.jpg
Before - Stock Screen

P1010368.jpg
After - Givi 358A

P1010364.jpg
The two screens side-by-side

P1010366.jpg
Mounting bracket detail

P1010365.jpg
All the widgets

Veni, Vidi, Posti
BV 350, Aprilia SC 300, LX150ie, Buddy 125
Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:43 am quote
Can you tell us the measurement from the top of the headlight to the top of the windscreen? Doesn't Givi also make a medium windscreen for the 300/350 also? Any idea it's corresponding height?
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:24 am quote
Very nice! I like the Givi windscreen on the 350.
Hooked
BV 350
Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 am quote
Givi windshield
Kruella-DV,
Thanks for the pics and information on the Givi windshield. I do not like the look on some of the larger windshields, however, the proportions on the Givi are better than most and the black tinted areas help the esthetics also. I will look forward to hearing more after you have ridden with it for awhile.
Regards,
BVEE
Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce 2009 GTV 250, Ragazzo Vespa 946
Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:58 am quote
I like the looks of that! It's a much better look than than the Piaggio tall. I, too, look forward to hearing how it works out and seeing some pictures of the whole bike with the Givi screen installed.
Enthusiast
Typhoon 125
Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 pm quote
It looks fantastic! I hope it works out for you because I think I may want to get one. Did you order it or buy it locally? I would most likely have to order it.
Addicted
Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:42 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
Can you tell us the measurement from the top of the headlight to the top of the windscreen? Doesn't Givi also make a medium windscreen for the 300/350 also? Any idea it's corresponding height?
Yes, Dooglas, the number you want is 18". It is sloping about the same as the stock windscreen so the vertical height of the top of the windscreen from the top of the headlight is about 17".

For comparison, the stock windscreen measures about 10".

Givi do indeed make a medium windscreen but it isn't as wide so does not give hand protection. In fact it's very similar in size to the stock Beverly screen. The Givi website gives its height as 16cm (6.25") less than mine.

Check out their website: http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/?ma=PIAGGIO&mo=Beverly-125ie-300ie-10--11---Beverly-350-Sport-Touring-12

Regards, John W.
Addicted
Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 pm quote
FourIsCompany wrote:
It looks fantastic! I hope it works out for you because I think I may want to get one. Did you order it or buy it locally? I would most likely have to order it.
It's readily available in the U.K and I got my local dealer to order one for me. It took about 4 days to come. Cost about 113 GBP.
Hooked
2012 GTS 300
Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:27 pm quote
Fantastic!! Looks great.
Addicted
Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:36 am quote
Large Givi Windscreen update:

It's raining in jolly old England AGAIN so I decided to test-ride my BV350 with large Givi screen.
Result? - in a word - "cozy". Warm dry hands. Much less wind noise. More engine noise, but that's nice . I'm trying to get used to looking through the windscreen (top 2") although I can stretch up to look over or peer round the side if I have to. Acceleration unaffected. She seems slower because it's quieter but I had no difficulty maintaing 75mph on the motorway. Too early to report on any change in fuel consumption but am monitoring that.

John W (2,300 miles and counting).

P1010368.jpg

Ossessionato
X10 350
Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 am quote
Good write up, John. The screen doesn't look as big as I thought it would. How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

(Great to see the Malvern Hills Conservators sticker. I spent my teenage years in Herefordshire, and after that the family home was in Malvern Wells for another 15 years or so, so I spent plenty of time around there. Once I'd got over the stigma of having a WR postcode, rather than a proper HR one, I really loved it around Malvern )
Addicted
Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:27 am quote
Benelli Boy wrote:
Good write up, John. The screen doesn't look as big as I thought it would. How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?
I am 6' tall with a long back and shortish legs (31" inseam). I seem to be just the right size for this bike .
Benelli Boy wrote:
(Great to see the Malvern Hills Conservators sticker. I spent my teenage years in Herefordshire, and after that the family home was in Malvern Wells for another 15 years or so, so I spent plenty of time around there. Once I'd got over the stigma of having a WR postcode, rather than a proper HR one, I really loved it around Malvern )
We've swapped locations! I grew up in Waltham Abbey and moved to Malvern in my 20s. I like it here with one exception - couldn't be further from the sea. But the choice of rides is awesome: Wales, Cotswolds, Mendips, etc etc.

Regards, John W.
Beverly (BV) 500 2006
Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:39 am quote
How is the cross wind stability with this Givi?
I'm thinking of a Givi screen to my Beverly 500 but I have decided which model to buy.

//Peter Bj÷rkdahl
Addicted
Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:58 am quote
Peter Bjorkdahl wrote:
How is the cross wind stability with this Givi?
I'm thinking of a Givi screen to my Beverly 500 but I have decided which model to buy.

Peter Bj÷rkdahl
Too early for me to say - haven't experienced strong cross winds yet. So far I haven't noticed any wind-buffeting effect on the screen.

My brothers and I are going up to the North Yorkshire Moors later this month so the Beverly and her new windscreen will no doubt experience some serious crosswinds up there. I'll report back on this thread in due course.

As far as choosing which Givi screen to go for - it was a "no brainer" for me. Of the two available only the taller one offered the hand protection I wanted - and it's very good at that .
Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:09 am quote
I wanted to echo most of the responses that the tall, wide, Givi screen looks fantastic on the 350. My worry is the height and how that can/will affect vision and fuel economy, but I'm thinking the width is exactly what I need moving forward even if the width cost a little extra in fuel usage, because it seems necessary for regular highway travel.

I'll be looking for something as we get into Fall weather. I've owned a 350 for about three weeks, but we're in a drought and have not yet encountered rain. My commute is rather long and high speed and I've already had some uncomfortable rides. I'm 5'8 X 31" inseam. Short torso; not good for building muscle mass.

I'm an absolute newbie with anything under 4 wheels for highway riding and have no knowledge about anything to do with motorcycles or scooters, save what I'm starting to learn on here. It's hard for me to understand a lot of what is discussed, because I don't know the basics of riding gear types, equipment options, how wind, rain, cold, hot, etc. affect riding and what solution options are available. I don't have a social network to help with this either except for this great crowd. I guess what I need is a "getting started" manual; maybe a library book or something.

I notice that when I'm riding east on the highway in the mornings with nice temps., I'm really happy unless the wind is gusty. When the wind is gusty, strong head wind, and/or crosswind (not sure, because I have no knowledge of the effects of drag/wind), I get a lot of turbulence, vibration, sudden one-side-of-my-body pushes, and noise. I bought the cheapest, full-face helmet and riding jacket I could find that had good customer reviews. The riding jacket is fine for moderate temps, but is a little stiff; a little tight; and a lot hot in the afternoons. The matching pants are great!

I wish I had discovered this board sooner. I've since learned about mesh jackets and how important helmets are for cutting noise and vibration. My helmet is great for wearing comfort and city riding, but I wonder if it is part of the problem on the highway. It's a Vega; $78 delivered. It's got a sun glass inner shield. Very good at looking through. Fits great except a little tight on my cheeks. I have to be careful not to yawn or I'll spend the rest of the ride trying to get my teeth back together, but it couldn't be any looser on the top half of my skull.

Anyway, I know this is a windscreen post but wasn't sure where else to post my thoughts/concerns.
Ossessionato
X10 350
Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:24 am quote
Thanks, John. If you're looking through the top inch or two of that screen, then it will definitely be too high for my wife (who's considerably shorter than you are), so that's good to know.

(I still dream of living in Ledbury. Maybe one day.....)
Addicted
Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:38 am quote
Benelli Boy wrote:
Thanks, John. If you're looking through the top inch or two of that screen, then it will definitely be too high for my wife (who's considerably shorter than you are), so that's good to know.

(I still dream of living in Ledbury. Maybe one day.....)
It's quite easy to cut a windscreen down in height. There are threads on MV giving advice on how to do this. Not so easy to put the height back on
Ossessionato
X10 350
Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:49 am quote
The smaller, stock, screen will (hopefully) be fine for her. She rides with a small screen on a GTS at present, and is happy with that.

I was sort of hoping that there might be a slightly larger (but not too large) screen which would be fine for her, and also better for me (6ft 2 ish) when I deceide to nick her ride for the odd day.

(But, as you say, cutting may provide a compromise. It's just unlikely that I'd get her to buy into that, given that it's her bike, and all that trivial stuff )
Addicted
Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 am quote
Well. I've had my large windscreen on for a week now. There doesn't seem to be any downsides. Performance is virtually unaffected up to 75mph. I've probably lost about 3-5mph on top speed. Just filled up with fuel too, 150+ miles at 75mpg (English gallons) compared to 78mpg for previous fill-up.

Oh yes, and there's very little buffeting of the windscreen in a crosswind.

It's MUCH quieter, with virtually no wind noise, just a nice buzz/growl from the motor.

I'm going to spend quality biking time with my brothers and cousin on the North Yorkshire moors next week. When I come back I'll have a good indication of mpg.

Regards, John W.

Last edited by Kruella_DV on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 am quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
Well. I've had my large windscreen on for a week now. There doesn't seem to be any downsides. Performance is virtually unaffected up to 75mph. I've probably lost about 3-5mph on top speed. Just filled up with fuel too, 150+ miles at 75mpg (English gallons) compared to 78mpg for previous fill-up.

It's MUCH quieter, with virtually no wind noise, just a nice buzz/growl from the motor.

I'm going to spend quality biking time with my brothers and cousin on the North Yorkshire moors next week. When I come back I'll have a good inication of mpg.

Regards, John W.
Thank you for the update. I look forward to hearing your mpg when you return from your trip.

...oh and more pictures!
Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:07 pm quote
Kruella_DV wrote:

I'm going to spend quality biking time with my brothers and cousin on the North Yorkshire moors next week. When I come back I'll have a good indication of mpg.

Regards, John W.
Thanks John W. for giving us reports on your big windscreen. You're giving us valuable information. Mine is used primarily for a moderate-speed hwy. commute--85%. I think the BV 350 is perfect for my application except for the wind noise. It looks like the large screen may take away that one negative for me. My main concern is the fuel economy, but preliminary reports are encouraging.
Addicted
Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 am quote
We're enjoying ourselvers in the North Yorkshire Dales. Ride up was wet - but screen was pretty effective. Stiff crosswind on Hartside summit but practically no tug on the steering. Two fill-ups so far - 74mpg (English) so the large screen is costing me less than 3mpg . More tomorrow

P1010411LR.jpg
In North Yorkshire Dales.

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 am quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
We're enjoying ourselvers in the North Yorkshire Dales. Ride up was wet - but screen was pretty effective. Stiff crosswind on Hartside summit but practically no tug on the steering. Two fill-ups so far - 74mpg (English) so the large screen is costing me less than 3mpg . More tomorrow
Very nice!
Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce 2009 GTV 250, Ragazzo Vespa 946
Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 am quote
I can't find a US distrbutor that sells this windscreen. Can anyone else put me in touch with a vendor?
Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:15 pm quote
DailyRider28465 wrote:
I can't find a US distrbutor that sells this windscreen. Can anyone else put me in touch with a vendor?
I'm a newbie, but what I've been reading here, is that the only choices in America for changing the windshield for the BV 350 are a Laminar Lip and the big OEM screen from the dealer, the latter is well over $200. There are members on here that have each and there is a thread discussing the performance of each side-by-side, but many BV 350 owners are hoping for this Givi model in the near future and some are hoping Givi will build and sell a mid-height screen, because many of the short riders don't want a tall screen that we would have to cut down.

Kruella has ordered and mounted the Givi and is reporting his results from the UK. Hopefully, Givi USA will begin carrying them, because it looks like a win all the way around based on Kruella's reports so far so far. I guess the best thing for American riders to do is to contact Givi USA and let them know BV 350s are selling like crazy, and we want them to start carrying BV 350 accessories. Many of us also want Givi USA to carry the mounting plate kit for Monolock top cases, so we don't have to pay as much for shipping as we do the products.
Addicted
Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 pm quote
We're having a lovely trip in North Yorkshire Dales. Beverly's holding her own amongst my brothers' bikes. Can confirm that strong crosswinds do not attack the large Givi windshield. Fuel consumption remains over 75 mpg (English Gallons)

200 mile ride home tomorrow.

John W.

IMG_1282.JPG

Addicted
Piaggio BV 350
Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm quote
Great picture! Looks like a great get away trip!

Good news that the windshield is working out too!
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:33 pm quote
Another great photo! I sure am hoping a vendor in the U.S. will be getting the Givi windscreen. It seems to be doing the job and on top of that, it looks good!
Hooked
BV 350
Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:26 am quote
John....looks like you had some great roads to ride on your trip. The Givi windshield is obviously working well on all counts. It's nice to know it doesn't reduce the top speed by very much. Thanks for sharing all the information.
Regards,
Ed E.
Lurker
BV 350
Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 pm quote
BV 350 Big Screen
Great post.
I just got a BV 350. Sweet! But I am getting an air blast with the stock wind screen. I may get a closed mask or a bigger wind screen. But I see no 358A+A358A offered in USA. I think / hope GIVI will soon offer that screen here. The accelation, speed, handling of this scooter is outstanding.
Get one or two!
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:21 pm quote
djt wrote:
Great post.
I just got a BV 350. Sweet! But I am getting an air blast with the stock wind screen. I may get a closed mask or a bigger wind screen. But I see no 358A+A358A offered in USA. I think / hope GIVI will soon offer that screen here. The accelation, speed, handling of this scooter is outstanding.
Get one or two!
Congrats on the new scoot. I think several of us are watching for the Givi windscreen to make it here. The Piaggio will work, but I like the lines of the Givi windscreen.
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:25 pm quote
I forgot about some of these previous windscreen threads until I started going through my Notes section so I apologize for starting a new thread.

I ordered this windscreen today from ScooterWest. The info is in this thread: http://modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1483896#1483896 .
Addicted
Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 am quote
Well, I've lived with my Givi Windscreen for a few months now. I've become increasingly frustrated with peering through a rain-spattered windshield (it's been fine in the dry) - so I "took the bull by the horns" and cut it down by 1.25". I should have done it earlier! I can now see over the top of the windscreen yet it still provides excellent protection from the wind, etc. (my head is still well below the turbulent air flow)

I took the windscreen off the bike, masked both sides and marked a new cut-line on the inside with a fine-tipped black marker. I used a hand fret-saw to make the cut, resting the windscreen face down on a pad of towels. Following advice from elsewhere I then remounted the windscreen on to the bike before sanding the cut edge smooth with my trusty Permagrit Silicon Carbide sanding block.

I am VERY happy with the finished result - both in appearance and functionality.

Regards, John W ( 4,200 miles and counting).
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 am quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
I took the windscreen off the bike, masked both sides and marked a new cut-line on the inside with a fine-tipped black marker. I used a hand fret-saw to make the cut, resting the windscreen face down on a pad of towels. Following advice from elsewhere I then remounted the windscreen on to the bike before sanding the cut edge smooth with my trusty Permagrit Silicon Carbide sanding block.

I am VERY happy with the finished result - both in appearance and functionality.

Regards, John W ( 4,200 miles and counting).
Do you have a photo of the finished product? I would love to see what the windscreen looks like after the cut-down.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
BV 350, Aprilia SC 300, LX150ie, Buddy 125
Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 pm quote
Kruella_DV wrote:
Well, I've lived with my Givi Windscreen for a few months now. I've become increasingly frustrated with peering through a rain-spattered windshield (it's been fine in the dry) - so I "took the bull by the horns" and cut it down by 1.25". I should have done it earlier! I can now see over the top of the windscreen yet it still provides excellent protection from the wind, etc. (my head is still well below the turbulent air flow)
Good on you! You certainly have my attention as that is exactly what I am interested in doing. Like you, my preference is definitely for a windscreen adjusted so that the rider can look over the top edge.
Addicted
Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:56 am quote
ScooterGirlinAL wrote:
Do you have a photo of the finished product? I would love to see what the windscreen looks like after the cut-down.
Certainly ScooterGirl - I'll take and post a photo as soon as the weather improves. (that may take a while though )
Addicted
Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 am quote
Here are some pictures of my Beverly (BV350) with the cut-down Givi Windshield. I have to say it's just about perfect now - better vision and yet no increase in wind noise or turbulance.

Regards, John W

P1010843.JPG

P1010844.JPG

P1010846.JPG

P1010849.JPG

P1010850.JPG

P1010852.JPG
This is my view of the road ahead

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 am quote
Looks great! You did a nice job with the cut-down.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 1234Next
[ Time: 0.3835s ][ Queries: 32 (0.2868s) ][ Debug on ]