@koenig_blues avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@koenig_blues avatar
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint
UTC quote
i hope Josh can use that nose nicely on his vb1

as for your bike, i dont think u need to replace the whole floorboard from what i see, instead u can patch the holes as i see the rust isnt that badly beside i like the look in ur bike the way it were.. just need more buff with the wax to bring the glory

i have a friends that swap the christmas tree with the later version of p series and combine with a 22 teeth 7 spring clutch, i hardly cant said it slow even with 2 port on his vba and he even have 4th gear now but i didnt ask him the detail

good luck with the bike and cheer mate
UTC

Lurker
59 Vespa VBA Frame, Vespa RALLY 180 engine

Lurker
59 Vespa VBA Frame, Vespa RALLY 180 engine
UTC quote
Wow! Can't believe I actually found someone with the same bike as mine!
Love the color! The bike looks in decent shape. Good work on the restoration, CLR has been a little secret of mine for some time. Did you manage to find a front brake drum that will fit! I find it near impossile to find one...
UTC

Lurker
1959 VBA

Lurker
1959 VBA
UTC quote
My 59 Vespa VBA
I just fount your '59 rebuild thread. I have owned my '59 VBA for nearly 30 years. I was working in a market and parked my 76 Gold Wing out front. A meat cutter asked about my bike and offered to show me his son's wheels. It was a '59 VBA. I got it for 75 bucks. It had a mickey mouse motorcycle rack mounted on the rear using conduit for spacers. It was painted black primer and i thing they polished it. After about 300 kicks, it started. I drove it home. Grease leaked on the read shoes and the front brake causes a super nose dive. I have replaced the tires and tubes, got it painted after bondoing in the stupid holes, bought new seats, cables, a carb kit and some other items. I'm in it to about 650 bucks. I just scoot around town and won't dare go over 30 mph. It most mostly sitting all those years and now runs. As soon as i can find some cheap insurance, AZ will reissue me a new license tag. I just want to scoot around town and use it in parades and car shows and the like. I haven't got the guts you do to do a tear-down. As long as it runs, I'm happy. I will keep watching you progress.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked
1959 VBA, 1959 Allstate boat anchor

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
tgag78 wrote:
Did you manage to find a front brake drum that will fit! I find it near impossile to find one...
My front drum is in great shape. It must have had a front brake job in it's previous life as the pads and drum look almost brand new. Sorry, not able to help out with a source. My rear drum, however, is pretty scored and will probably need to be replaced at some point.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Re: My 59 Vespa VBA
Payson Dave wrote:
I just fount your '59 rebuild thread. I have owned my '59 VBA for nearly 30 years. I was working in a market and parked my 76 Gold Wing out front. A meat cutter asked about my bike and offered to show me his son's wheels. It was a '59 VBA. I got it for 75 bucks...I'm in it to about 650 bucks. I just scoot around town and won't dare go over 30 mph.
That's a great story. Let's just say I'm into mine for WELL OVER $650. After dealing with all sorts of other life stuff in the past few months, I'm finally ready to turn my attention back to the VBA. We'll see how it goes
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Hows your restore going, your doing a fine job of documenting. keep the pics a coming.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Alright, so the deal is that I decided to repaint. I know, I'm a horrible person to ruin my scoot by not keeping the original paint. So be it. Let it be known to all who read this that I've chosen to ignore the pleas from the NSM community to leave it as-is. May I suffer the wrath of the non-original police and be forced to listen to endless cries of, "why did you repaint it" and "it's only original once."

Whew, I feel better now

Things continue to move slowly. The frame is at the painter. The guy who's doing the work has a day job so this is just a side project for him. Because of that, it's taking a really long time. A few weeks ago, he cut out the old rusted floor and welded in the new one. Good thing too because apparently the floor was in worse shape than it looked. It's in primer now and I'm going to stop by this weekend with the floor rails so he can locate and drill the holes before the new color goes on. Unfortunately, he hasn't sent me photos along the way so I've got nothing else to share. I haven't made a final decision on color. I'm leaning toward the original Azzurro Metallizzato, but I've seen a lot of white scooters lately that l look hot.

On the parts front, I think I've got everything I need to put it all back together. The only other thing I haven't addressed is the seat. It's got a tatty Guillari bench seat that doesn't fit extremely well and I'm considering going with a saddle/rack combo.
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
for gods sake dont throw away that seat. sell it on scoot.net it can be fixed
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Thanks for the update.
Subscribed.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
jamesjohn wrote:
for gods sake dont throw away that seat. sell it on scoot.net it can be fixed
What?? Throw it out? I NEVER throw anything away. Just ask my wife
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
lol. glad to hear it.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
flyngti wrote:
Alright, so the deal is that I decided to repaint. I know, I'm a horrible person to ruin my scoot by not keeping the original paint. So be it. Let it be known to all who read this that I've chosen to ignore the pleas from the NSM community to leave it as-is. May I suffer the wrath of the non-original police and be forced to listen to endless cries of, "why did you repaint it" and "it's only original once."
We plead the case, you listened carefully, understood AND spent a lot of effort TRYING. YOU decided it was untenable for good reasons and I respect that.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna look great if your work so far is any sign. It needs to be sound(new floor!) more than just look 'cool' with patina(rust) run amok where we can't see, but you have to.

approved
non-original police charter member
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
its gonna look good mate id go with metallizato one
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Finally, some updates
Last weekend, I went up to visit my Vespa frame at the paint guy. It's looking pretty good. Most of the bodywork is done and he's down to final sanding. Funny, he made the comment, "now I remember why people put stickers on motorcycles." Apparently there were quite a few ripples on the engine cowl under those stickers.

Hopefully I go pick up the color soon. Supposedly, he's been taking photos along the way so some day I'll have photos with it in bare metal. Good thing is no surprises under the paint. No bodgery here.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Here's a shot of the floor replacement. The inside of the tunnel doesn't look too bad. Before he sealed it back up, he took a wire wheel to clean up the rust and before shooting the color, he's going to coat the inside of the tunnel with epoxy primer to slow down any new rust.

As you can see, the old floor is shot.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
The main reason for going to the shop was to locate and drill the new holes for the floor rails before paint. My old rails are in decent shape and should clean up ok. Before I took them over, I straightened them out the best I could and scraped all the rust and crap stuck to the bottoms. We drilled the holes and as soon as I get a materials list from the painter, I'll go down to Wesco and pick up the color.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Nice to see some progress.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, that's lookin' good & I'm gettin' jealous. A REAL paint job! Sigh emoticon

Let me know if you need any little misc bits, like any missing tips for your floor trim.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
IMO I think you should consider replacing those floor rails. They don't look too bad now but when your scooter is all painted and shiny they will look shabby in conparison. It is not something that you have to decide now. If you're like me you will eventually be getting new ones. Things are looking great BTW.
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
if you take the time you can get them looking new. lots of guys here have done it. i would at least try.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Paint at last!
Finally heard back from my painter and he sent me some photos. My frame finally has paint on it! I'm going to try to pick it up tomorrow. The color looks a little dark in the photos, but it's supposedly lighter outside in the daylight. Pretty exciting stuff. Guess I'd better start working on the motor and other pieces. I haven't even finished cleaning up those floor rails from my last update three months ago!
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
That looks Great! Good color..
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
UTC quote
Great colour mate

^^Correct spelling^^

Cheers
@abuello avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@abuello avatar
UTC quote
That's a might fine color choice! My painter can't take mine for another two months, or so. In the mean time, I'll lust over yours LOL!
Now, get busty and finish cleaning those remaining pieces.
Happy assembly....
@plasmax23 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1963 Vespa VNB

Hooked
@plasmax23 avatar
1963 Vespa VNB
UTC quote
It's looking really good! I bet the anticipation is really building now. I think you made the right decision to paint because it is yours and your choice.

If anyone else was still looking for the same horn cover there are a few on eBay Italy. Just do a search for Ulma.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
looks really good mate
@paul_e_lee avatar
UTC

@paul_e_lee avatar
UTC quote
Awesome documenting. Definitely going to try the CLR Rust remover technique on a couple of rusty projects I have going on.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Abuello wrote:
Now, get busty and finish cleaning those remaining pieces.
I'd forgotten how slow cleaning and finishing are. I used some citrus-based paint stripper to clean off the floor rails. With all the paint and junk stripped off, the rails don't look too bad.

They just needed some TLC to get back to shape. To reshape the angled sides, I needed something of the same shape to use as a dolly. I realized that the angle is the same as a dovetail router bit so I made one out of a piece of wood. The rail slid over it and I used a deadblow hammer to gently reshape each rail. This only worked on the straight sections of course, and I used lineman's pliers on the curved sections. They need some more work before buffing but I think it's looking pretty good.
After stripping before straightening
After stripping before straightening
Dovetail dolly
Dovetail dolly
@groover avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa P200E & P125x

Hooked
@groover avatar
Vespa P200E & P125x
UTC quote
You are doing great work. Good job!
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Paint looks good. Was there a reason you didn't use a different colr for the other parts ( other than frame )? Hard to tell but did you fill in the floor rail holes before paint and then to redrill new holes or are/did you keep the old holes?
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
Was there a reason you didn't use a different colr for the other parts ( other than frame )?
VBA/VBB used the same color for the frame, wheels, fork and front swingarm. I want to keep it looking as original as possible. I realized too late that there are still a few pieces that didn't get painted like the taillight housing and front axle so I'll be spraying those separately along with the touchup on the centerstand spring bracket on the underside of the floor.
Lynnb wrote:
Hard to tell but did you fill in the floor rail holes before paint and then to redrill new holes or are/did you keep the old holes?
Before the final color coat, I took my rails up to the painter and we located and drilled holes in the new floor.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
A few updates. Before the frame was painted, I asked my guy to make a new centerstand spring bracket and weld it on. Instead, he drills a hole in the floor and puts in a bolt to hold the spring. I know, it's underneath the scoot and no one will know. No one except me...so I set out to fill the hole and make a new bracket. I wrapped up the frame to protect the paint during the welding and grinding and was able to keep the spot needing repaint as small as possible. The new bracket is plug welded as well as around the edges. Should be plenty strong for this. I'll shoot color on this as soon as I get the taillight housing any other remaining parts ready for paint so I can do it all at once. While the frame was upside down I also cleaned up and undercoated the inside of the wheelwell. I undercoated the mudguard as well.
Wrapped up to protect the paint
Wrapped up to protect the paint
New spring bracket ready for paint
New spring bracket ready for paint
Wheelwell ready for undercoating
Wheelwell ready for undercoating
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Still working on the floor rails too. I turned my attention to the rail caps. They were coated in black paint too so they needed to be cleaned. Also, half of them had the rivet corroded in place so I had to carefully drill them out. Somehow, I seem to have lost a cap but I think Kyle has one for me.
Where's that last cap?
Where's that last cap?
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
paint looks spectacular. gonna be stellar.
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
I think I'm pretty much done with cleaning up the floor rails. They're not perfect as some of the scars were pretty deep. Rather than remove too much metal, I decided to just leave them and polish the best I can. I've got another end cap on the way so I should be ready to reinstall soon.

Speaking of polishing, it's really kind of magical. Dull grey lumps of metal turned into bright shiny objects.

I finally got around to spraying the spot on the floor underside, as well as the front spindle center and the taillight housing. Now I can flip the frame right-side up and start re-assembly.

The case is now back on the workbench and I've started going through the parts. The cush drive got a new bearing and springs. I went through some challenges with the clutch with wanting to replace the center bushing. In case you missed it (or care), I talk about it here.

Compared to the VBB taillight, I like the VBA taillight so much better. It isn't as big and chunky -- more curvy and svelte.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
You are doing a most awsome job and great documenting. I was wandering though, when you took the rails to the body guy after he primed , was there any special technique used for drilling the holes in the floor and lining all the rails up and secure? I would imagine you didn't rivet them in place one hole at a time then redrill them out?
Reason I'm asking is I went ahead and ordered new rails from scootermur and I'm undecided whether I should have the my body guy fill in all the old holes and start from scratch or perhaps leave the the holes for each end of the old rails as a guide or ???
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
You are doing a most awsome job and great documenting. I was wandering though, when you took the rails to the body guy after he primed , was there any special technique used for drilling the holes in the floor and lining all the rails up and secure? I would imagine you didn't rivet them in place one hole at a time then redrill them out?
Reason I'm asking is I went ahead and ordered new rails from scootermur and I'm undecided whether I should have the my body guy fill in all the old holes and start from scratch or perhaps leave the the holes for each end of the old rails as a guide or ???
When I took my rails in, we started with the outer rail first. Located it, clamped it in place, then marked and drilled the holes. Rinse and repeat for the others. In my case, the holes for the front end of the rails were still in the legshield and the rest of them down on the floor needed to be drilled. The first hole allowed us to properly locate where the rail starts and the rest falls into place. A measurement of the front holes gave the sideways rail to rail distance which was used at the back of the rails.

I'm not sure, but I THINK the new rails come without holes. I say this because the holes on mine don't seem to be spaced evenly. It's as if at the factory they put a blank rail on the floor, decided "a hole should go here" and just drilled as they went. In your case, I'd leave the original holes in the floor and use them as a guide to drill new corresponding holes in the new rails.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Thanks thats some very good information. Have you decided what your going to use to fasten the rivets in place?
OP
@flyngti avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@flyngti avatar
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
Have you decided what your going to use to fasten the rivets in place?
I'll probably run down to the hardware store, get a handful of solid rivets and do some experimenting on the best way to peen them. I'll need some sort of dolly (one for the ends and one for the rails) and something to beat the rivets with. There's an old air impact hammer in a drawer somewhere so I'll test out using it vs. a hammer. Once I figure out how to do this without boofing it up, I'll use the "correct" rivets and secure the rails for real.
@filmworker avatar
UTC

Hooked
1962 VBB1

Hooked
@filmworker avatar
1962 VBB1
UTC quote
For all the trouble you are going to, spend the money on the rivet tool from SIP. You won't regret it and someone will buy it from you afterwards.

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/riveting+tool+sip+for+floor_13104000
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2257s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1843s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]