MP3 GPS Mount
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:15 pm quote
This one is a super-easy mod. This is a standard RAM-Mount 1" ball on a diamond-shaped base. I attached it to the reservoir cover panel on the MP3s handlebars. The cover panel has a built-in standoff / spacer that elevates it above the reservoir below, leaving enough room for a couple of screw heads. Even if there weren't any room, the RAM-Mount diamond shape is positioned on the reservoir cover panel in such a way that the screw heads are over largely empty space on either side of the reservoir.

For this mod, you will need:
- One RAM Mount Aluminum 1'' Ball with Diamond Plate.
- A couple of machine screws, 3/4" to 1", preferably stainless steel.
- A couple of matching locking nuts (with nylon insert).

Remove the cover panel from the handlebars. Lay out the RAM-Mount base on the cover panel at the appropriate spot. It's not critical exactly where you place the holes of the base, but pay attention to where it will come through on the opposite side of the cover plate. Mark the hole locations with a sharp object (like an awl) and then drill the holes with an appropriate sized drill bit.

Screw the base to the cover panel with the screw heads on the underside (they're lower profile) and the locking nuts on the outside.

Re-mount the cover panel and you're finished. Instant GPS mount.

4/5/2007 UPDATE:
I used this GPS mount for the first time today, and it's a bit shaky. On bumpy roads, especially, the GPS vibrates a lot, making it hard to read. I suspect this is largely because the reservoir cover panel is only held on with one screw and two tabs, which introduces some small movement at the base that translates to large movement at the GPS. This is not a horrible problem, as it stabilizes on smooth roads or on the freeway, but I'm going to look for a new place to mount the GPS.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited by jess on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:39 pm quote
Jess, since you bought that MP3 for "your wife," shall we assume that you are making this mod for her, and giving her a GPS?

What a great husband, your wife should be proud!
Imaginary GTS
Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:52 am quote
Gonna have to start a Modern Piaggio Forum now! I'd still check it out
Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 250
Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:12 am quote
Very niiiiice

I like it!

I only wish it was that simple on all scoots! :?
Enthusiast
Non yet gt though as soon as im 17
Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:42 am quote
Look good nice job .. now you wont get lost only joking
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:10 am quote
Len Smith wrote:
Jess, since you bought that MP3 for "your wife," shall we assume that you are making this mod for her, and giving her a GPS?
She could care less about GPS. I'm (probably) taking this bike on the Three-Peaks Challenge on Saturday, so I'm anticipating the need for GPS. The compromise was that I didn't add any electrical hookups to the bike (yet), and will just run off battery.
Addicted
Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:21 pm quote
please move this the MP3 forum!

Oh wait just kidding. but you shold make one it would be fun to see if MP3 owners log into the Modernvepa forum.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:12 am quote
Nyle wrote:
you shold make one it would be fun to see if MP3 owners log into the Modernvepa forum.
I'm hoping that Modern Vespa does indeed become a home for MP3 riders. I posed the question a while back as to whether they should have their own forum area or not, and the consensus seemed to be that we shouldn't divide the forum any more than we do for other types of Vespas.

Maybe I'll start a poll.
Molto Verboso
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:17 am quote
I think MP3 riders would be very welcome here. My dad may be purchasing one soon . . .

Mel
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:12 am quote
UPDATE
Added the following to the original post:
Quote:
4/5/2007 UPDATE:
I used this GPS mount for the first time today, and it's a bit shaky. On bumpy roads, especially, the GPS vibrates a lot, making it hard to read. I suspect this is largely because the reservoir cover panel is only held on with one screw and two tabs, which introduces some small movement at the base that translates to large movement at the GPS. This is not a horrible problem, as it stabilizes on smooth roads or on the freeway, but I'm going to look for a new place to mount the GPS.
Addicted
Suzuki Burgman Executive 650
Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:10 am quote
Jess, is there room on the handlebar cover, dead center, in that smooth area? If possible, that would put the gps right between the tach & speedo. I was thinking more for my Garmin 2610, when I get my MP3. I'd like to have it dead center, if possible. Plus, if there was room in that position, I think the gps would be better supported in that central location. What do you think, Jess?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:51 am quote
jfredrik wrote:
Jess, is there room on the handlebar cover, dead center, in that smooth area?
There's room, but I haven't pulled the silver cover off to see what's under there. I think the goal would be to mount it to something structural (i.e. metal) rather than the surface plastics. The only real problem with that location is that it would obscure the many sundry indicators that are on the dash.
Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 250
Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 am quote
Actually, I am thinking that between the windscreen and the dash there should be some way to mount it - that way it is in your line of sight and should be less agitated.........perhaps some sort of clamping system that would not harm either the screen or the dash?

I know you're a creative guy
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:43 pm quote
jfredrik wrote:
....I'd like to have it dead center, if possible. Plus, if there was room in that position, I think the gps would be better supported in that central location....
Kinda like this:

this is how Piaggio have the TomTom Rider attached to the MP3.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1559s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0357s) ][ Debug on ]