OP
UTC

Vespa GT200L

Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
Anyone get a high pitch sound, sounding very much like a distant police siren when they first begin accelerating from low end rpms/"gear" which disappears after a few seconds?

What is that?

What if anything, does it mean?

Peace

John V.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Do you feel a little "kick" at the instant the whining stops?
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Did you check in your mirrors? (sorry couldn't resist) Razz emoticon
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@zippygt avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 200 '04

Hooked
@zippygt avatar
Vespa GT 200 '04
UTC quote
High pitched whine
Yes, my '04 used to do that. Have had new belt and rollers since, it has now done 18000km and its been so long since I heard it, I'd forgotten about it!

Didn't seem to affect the performance, and the bike is still like a zippo lighter... first time, every time
@vetinari avatar
UTC

2005 GT200

@vetinari avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
My 05 GT has done this a few times. Sounds like a siren spinning down? In my case it's only done it when cold and when rolling to a stop. Not when pulling away. It's realistic enough that I've double checked my mirrors looking for flashing lights!

At the moment I have a feeling it only does it when I've washed it recently, but I've not confirmed this yet. It doesn't seem to be anything to worry too much about. (I had the slip-n-grind clutch for that.) Possibly just a resonance in the transmission? A fair amount of air is being pushed around there.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Whining noises
I always thought it was the hamsters objecting!
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
Probably the turbo winding up.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
Re: GT200 High Pitched Whine at low rpms when accelerating?
jcv44wf wrote:
Anyone get a high pitch sound, sounding very much like a distant police siren when they first begin accelerating from low end rpms/"gear" which disappears after a few seconds? What is that? What if anything, does it mean?
Aren't you the same John who reports your GT200, with 800 miles on the clock, is loosing oil? Yeah, you are.
I think I know what's causing your siren John, but I'd rather not say. I think its time for you to take your GT200 to the dealer for inspection.
@zippygt avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 200 '04

Hooked
@zippygt avatar
Vespa GT 200 '04
UTC quote
Re: GT200 High Pitched Whine at low rpms when accelerating?
addicted wrote:
jcv44wf wrote:
Anyone get a high pitch sound, sounding very much like a distant police siren when they first begin accelerating from low end rpms/"gear" which disappears after a few seconds? What is that? What if anything, does it mean?
Aren't you the same John who reports your GT200, with 800 miles on the clock, is loosing oil? Yeah, you are.
I think I know what's causing your siren John, but I'd rather not say. I think its time for you to take your GT200 to the dealer for inspection.
Do elaborate, I think I speak for others when I say I'm dying to know!
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@lasermaster avatar
UTC

GT200

@lasermaster avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I've been getting the siren sound, too. Heard it again tonight, although it's the first time in awhile. I usually hear it right after or soon after I start the bike. Have we determined what this is? Any theories??
OP
UTC

Vespa GT200L

Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
High Pitches Whine
Well, I did take mine in for service as many had suggested. They said they couldn't replicate it. They changed oil and checked stuff but to no avail. I dunno? :?

Anyway, I was out riding today, first time really since the shop/service visit and there it was again. I thought this scoot was chain driven but the guy at the service center said no, it is belt driven. Knowing that now, I'd say it sounds "belt-like" in behvior, i.e. the high pitched whine thing that I used to get with some car belts at times.

Anyway, I feel like going back there and getting them to hear it like I just did! Why is these folks can't replicate these problems when they have the scoot? I feel like a guy who's seen some paranormal phenomeon like a UFO or the Easter Bunny.

Peace
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Mine was making the common "clattering" noise which I think is belt and roller noise. The dealer called it "belt noise". I admit that every GT I have ridden or heard has also made that noise, to some degree. In fact my new GTS make quite a bit of it.

Last year the dealer inspected/adjusted/cleaned the drivetrain. The clatter noise stopped but now I have a bit of the whine you are describing. Could it be a tight belt? 2004 with 2800 miles and no problems. Runs great and clutch takeup is normal, no shudder or catch.
OP
UTC

Vespa GT200L

Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
Belt Noise GT 200
Thanks for the reply.

Wow. A gt and a gts? Must be nice. I was curious about the gts and asked my dealer about upgrading. They said $2800 plus a trade of my '06 gts with 1,150 miles on it. I thought that was a bit much so I am passing for now. I think 250cc would be just the right amount for me, but...Oh well, guess I'll wait a few years.

As for belt noise, I guess as long as dealer checked it out, I am ok? Usually, from my car experience with belts, if it's too tight, it will squeek, or if it begins to slip, then usually however if it is too loose you can nearly feel the slippage in hesitations at acceleration time; and as far as noise, as I recall you will get possibly a squeek, but more often a quick "slap, slap, slap" as the belt flops a bit before 'taking hold.' I am sure though that there is some other maven of vespas and gt's and belts, that can say more on this.

Peace

Thanks for the feedback
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Re: Belt Noise GT 200
jcv44wf wrote:
Wow. A gt and a gts? Must be nice. I was curious about the gts and asked my dealer about upgrading. They said $2800 plus a trade of my '06 gts with 1,150 miles on it.
Yes, it is nice to have two (we actually have 2 GTs and a GTS right now) but I don't need the 2nd GT so it is for sale. I have seen a few 06 GTs for sale and they seem to be bringing at least $4500, usually more. If you got $4500 for it, you could have a GTS for "only" $1300 plus dealer fees. You won't regret it, I promise. Maybe we could have a Modern Vespa bake sale to help raise the money!
UTC

GT-200

GT-200
UTC quote
Would you like a little cheese with your whine?
A very interest subj to me. I have the shuddering, the slippage (and limted whine) at initial acceleration and I have had the belt and rollers changed twice, (least I think so, they have never shown me the old ones) and I still have transmission issues. The mechanic told me the belt was "glazing". Gosh, what I would give for a smooth steady take-off. Funny, the tranny works better (marginally) when the motor is cold. I love the motor, it is a real trooper, and runs great. The power transfer system on my GT leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I could get a real driveshaft and metal gears installed? Doubtful I know, but a little wishful thinking can't hurt.

Remember, a scoot is to a Harley as the hog is to a car!

Jay
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0821s ][ Queries: 19 (0.0552s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]