The Coocase is on
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm quote
I installed the Coocase I ordered from Twisted Throttle this past weekend. The actual installation onto my Faco rear rack was a bit more work than I had hoped. I wanted a more secure install than using the hardware that came with the case, which are clamps and bolts. I used the same u-bolt method that micbergsma used in his thread and Witch and others have used in their roll bags. See page 1 of micbergsma's thread here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic47742?page=1

The Coocase base has a grid pattern that uses square washers and bolts/clamps to hold the base onto the rack. With the u-bolts, there were only a few options in the grid pattern to hold them onto the cross bars of the Faco rear rack. See the pictures below. I also had to grind down a few of the supplied washers to fit along the top edge of the bases' triangular grid.

It's on very tight, but I may use a few of the supplied bolts and clamps on the top edge for extra holding power just in case. The electrical portion of the install was amazingly easy. Using the supplied wiring kit and a few additional lengths of wire (not supplied) the wiring took about an hour, mainly because I'm very slow, meticulous and not very experience with electrical work.

There are two ways to install the wiring according to the instructions. One for CANbus and one for non-CANbus systems. My GTS (thank you Midnight Rider for clearing this up) is non-CANbus, so I needed to use a supplied additional harness. I ran the base wiring through the vents near the gas cap area down into the engine compartment. Then using the supplied connectors, I ran the hot and ground wires from the battery compartment (not connecting to the battery yet) to the engine compartment. Then I opened the taillight and using the supplied connectors, attached the supplied harness to the brake light hot wire and the license plate light hot wire. Then ran a wire through the rubber grommet behind the taillight into the engine compartment.

I hooked all the wiring together according to the instructions, and then hooked up the hot and ground wire to the battery. I turned on the lights, tried the brake lights, turn signals, remote and all worked great. Satisfying project completed and I can finally store my helmet on my scooter.

IMAG0112.jpg
Base installed with center cover.

IMAG0113.jpg
Base uncovered showing u-bolt pattern.

IMAG0115.jpg
Underside of base and rack.

IMAG0116.jpg
Side view installed.

IMAG0111.jpg
Inside view.

IMAG0110.jpg
Not room for much else with my Schuberth C-3 inside.

Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy
Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm quote
Please show it with the lights on!
Hooked
Fly 150, Stella
Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 pm quote
Coocases are nice. You're going to be grateful for that fob -- I didn't think I would use it, but it most definitely comes in handy.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250
Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:27 pm quote
Glad to read about Coocases here.

Was unfamiliar with the brand, but now high on the list of top cases to consider.
Addicted
GTS 250ie, Kymco People 50
Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:18 am quote
super jealous! it looks great!
i still can't decide between the clear or the smoke lenses for mine.
Molto Verboso
Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm quote
Update, All is not great in Cooville. It seems I was premature when I said all was well. I tried to take some pics at night with the lights on and it seems I have no running or turn signals after all on the Coocase. I do have brake lights and all the other functions of the case.

Then...I took off the taillight to see if maybe the posi-connector didn't make it through the hot wire from the license plate light. I tightened it as tight as I could and still no running and turn signals, then I noticed the remote wasn't working either. Since nothing was working on the case I figured I somehow blew the fuse. I took off the battery cover and found I was correct.

I'll pick up a new fuse tomorrow to see if I have all functions or just the ones before the fuse blew.
Hooked
Fly 150, Stella
Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:39 pm quote
Yeah, I never got my running lights to work -- don't remember that I've heard anyone else get theirs working, either. It's all right with me because those LED lights are so tiny you can hardly see them. [Come to think of it, I don't know if LEDs can serve a dual purpose - running and brake lights].

Is the siren very loud for your alarm [I think they might have improved that since I got mine]?

* Don't think it's set up to do turn signals, unless you specifically wired it that way.
2008 Stella ('Raj'), 2009 Vespa 150S (Wifey's), 2012 Vespa GTV 300ie ('Vespasian')
Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:09 pm quote
Love that Coocase..
Mikey ~ excellent install! Looking really sharp in black. So does that GTS ....

Yep, it's a bit of work to install, not purely plug n' play but since it's more of
a universal installation, that didn't surprise me too much.I did get all
the lights to work, but as mentioned earlier, they are pretty small, so
are more effective at night then the daytime.

I don't find the alarm all that loud, so I have my doubts about how effective
it is, but I sure like both the remote (which has a folding key built in) and
the ability to remove it if I don't need it.

They also take to a matching paint job pretty good ... all in all, well made
and doing it's job just like I wanted.

CIMG2598r2.jpg

Ossessionato
'10 GTS 300 Super, '79 Vespa P200E, '04 Vespa PX200, 2011 SportCity 300 Cube [Sold]
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 pm quote
Re: Love that Coocase..
Ldave wrote:
Mikey ~ excellent install! Looking really sharp in black. So does that GTS ....

Yep, it's a bit of work to install, not purely plug n' play but since it's more of
a universal installation, that didn't surprise me too much.I did get all
the lights to work, but as mentioned earlier, they are pretty small, so
are more effective at night then the daytime.

I don't find the alarm all that loud, so I have my doubts about how effective
it is, but I sure like both the remote (which has a folding key built in) and
the ability to remove it if I don't need it.

They also take to a matching paint job pretty good ... all in all, well made
and doing it's job just like I wanted.
Wow. That's the first coocase that I've seen that is 100% painted. Where did you get that done? Was it sent to you like that?

And do you have a picture from the other side? Did you put a Vespa topcase cushion on it?
Molto Verboso
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:40 am quote
tpring wrote:
Yeah, I never got my running lights to work -- don't remember that I've heard anyone else get theirs working, either. It's all right with me because those LED lights are so tiny you can hardly see them. [Come to think of it, I don't know if LEDs can serve a dual purpose - running and brake lights].

Is the siren very loud for your alarm [I think they might have improved that since I got mine]?

* Don't think it's set up to do turn signals, unless you specifically wired it that way.
As ldave mentioned, the alarm is not impressive. You'd need to be within 25 yards or so to even hear it. The LED lights aren't very bright, but at night they do give a bit more visibility. I've read a few threads where riders have added LED light strips to replace the three single bulbs on each side.

I bought it more for the added storage space, remote lock/unlock and the charging port for my electronics. Any lighting is just a plus for me.

Update: I installed the new fuse and it's back to the way it was, lock/unlock, alarm and brake lights work again. Still no turning signals or running lights. There must be a way to get running lights since the supplied harness has a lead to feed into it. I'll keep an eye out for any members who may have found a way to get full functionality. Until then, I'm still a fan of the Coocase and am happy with it the way it is.
Molto Verboso
Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 am quote
Update:
I was never able to get the running lights or turn signals to work, even after contacting Twisted Throttle. They had not responded to that issue. Since then the lid would not stay up for more than a few seconds. Very annoying.

Also the liner for the lid keeps slipping down. It has a little circular piece of the liner cut out that has adhesive on it that is supposed to hold the liner in place.

I emailed Twisted Throttle about these issues and their response was for me to send pictures of the case installed. I did this, had no response, emailed them again. They wanted more pictures showing the back of the case. For some reason, they thought that the case/lid was hitting the rear vertical portion of my Faco rack. I sent them more pictures. No response.

So...I gave up on the emails and called them today. I told them I do like the case, I just want it to stay up til I close it and for the liner to stay in place. They agreed to send me a new case and I'll send this one back. I'll report when I get it.
Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:40 am quote
I've had the same CooCase on my bike for about 3 years and many miles.

1. Liner stays in place.

2. Lid stays up.

3. Remote works, but I've disconnected power to the case as I suspect it was the source for some battery drain. So I don't use remote or alarm.

4. Brake lights work, but are too dim to see in the daytime.

5. Rivet on rotating key busted. I've got mine screwed together.

For me, the liner alone makes it worth the money.

P.
Molto Verboso
Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:56 pm quote
Update:
Received the replacement Coocase today. Popped it on and the electronic options work as with the replaced one. Still no running lights or turn signals, but the brake lights work. The remote features work perfectly too.

My biggest issue and the reason I returned the first one is the top would not stay up. This replacement works great. The stays seem very firm and hold the lid up tight. The other issue, though minor was the inner lid liner kept slipping down. The replacement case's top liner is held in the lid nice and tight.

All is well again in Cooville.
2014 Rally in the Valley   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1551s ][ Queries: 32 (0.0823s) ][ Debug on ]