Wrecked Brand New S 150 ... Salvage Value?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Author Message
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:05 pm quote
New to the Vespa crew... bare with me.

2009 Vespa S 150 Black bought brand new. Have not owned it more than a month and a drunk driver rear ended us at a red light.

Looking to sell. Anyone have an idea what the bike might be worth.

Engine has 160 miles on it. Rear of frame is obviously bent and rear wheel hub is cracked, otherwise everything else is pretty much brand new.

Thanks all!

V6.jpg

V1.jpg

V2.jpg

V3.jpg

V4.jpg

V5.jpg

V7.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 7119
Location: New Hampshire
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:10 pm quote
Did you have insurance?
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:12 pm quote
@NightWing... Yes.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 7119
Location: New Hampshire
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 pm quote
Normally, in case of a total, the insurance company will cash you out and they take the bike. They compute the value based on age and normal resale value. A fairly new bike with low miles should command more. Sometimes you can buy it back if you want.
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:20 pm quote
@NightWing... We are not going through insurance. Driver paying out of pocket. Looking to trade in and replace. Want to see what I can get for the bike for the down payment.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 7119
Location: New Hampshire
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 pm quote
VE VESP wrote:
@NightWing... We are not going through insurance. Driver paying out of pocket. Looking to trade in and replace. Want to see what I can get for the bike for the down payment.
I think you have a greater risk doing it that way. I would bet the guy who hit you isn't going to give anywhere near the fair value. Sounds like either he doesn't have insurance or wants to hide the accident for some reason. Maybe his license is suspended.

Question, were the police notified? If so, they will have filed an accident report that will go on your driving record and your insurance company will eventually find out when your renewal comes up and they run your record.
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:30 pm quote
Understand what you are saying. Long story...
Just looking for suggestions on a value.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 7119
Location: New Hampshire
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:31 pm quote
I'm done.
Addicted
Vespa '09 GTS 250ie Super, '09 S150 (sold), Genuine '07 Buddy 125cc (sold)
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 502
Location: New York City
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:33 pm quote
VE VESP wrote:
@NightWing... We are not going through insurance. Driver paying out of pocket. Looking to trade in and replace. Want to see what I can get for the bike for the down payment.
Why did you decide not to go through insurance? Just curious as why you don't want to get it repaired (to new condition)? Are you one of those "I have to have it in new condition" type guys? (don't worry, I am)
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:52 pm quote
Disney wrote:
VE VESP wrote:
@NightWing... We are not going through insurance. Driver paying out of pocket. Looking to trade in and replace. Want to see what I can get for the bike for the down payment.
Why did you decide not to go through insurance? Just curious as why you don't want to get it repaired (to new condition)? Are you one of those "I have to have it in new condition" type guys? (don't worry, I am)
The gentleman committed to paying out of pocket. Length of time it would take to get fixed and quotes on what it would cost to get fixed have me looking towards a replacement. Yeah, I guess I am one of those. Had it been MY fault we would be having a different conversation.
Ossessionato
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 4742
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:56 pm quote
Given its low milage I would expect a replacement of the exact same Vespa so whatever you paid for it is what he should pay since a bent frame is considered to be a totaled scooter.
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:01 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
Given its low milage I would expect a replacement of the exact same Vespa so whatever you paid for it is what he should pay since a bent frame is considered to be a totaled scooter.
That was the agreement. Just looking to get something back from the bike and hope the good parts can be used to help other bikes in need.
Hooked
GtS 300 super
Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 269
Location: Oregon
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:02 pm quote
First of all, I hope you guys aren't hurting too bad. My 2 cents is that the Vespa would probably sell for between $1500 to $2,500. Best if luck..
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 4134
Location: St. Petersburg Florida
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:07 pm quote
Part the bike out. There are a lot of items on that bike worth value....engine, rims, etc
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:07 pm quote
laoster wrote:
First of all, I hope you guys aren't hurting too bad. My 2 cents is that the Vespa would probably sell for between $1500 to $2,500. Best if luck..
Thanks for the thoughts laoster. A few scrapes, bruises and sore ribs, but we are alive and grateful. Appreciate your two cents and thanks for the advice. Regards.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 7119
Location: New Hampshire
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:16 pm quote
Well, I said I was done, but I have more. Rereading your initial post, I see that the guy who rear-ended you was drunk. That explains why no police were summoned because he would have been arrested.

As it stands, unless you have names of witnesses who will attest that this guy hit you, you can't prove it. He could deny everything. He is hiding from the law and you are helping him. A Vespa that suffers frame damage like that is usually considered a total loss because of the high cost of repair.

What will you do if he can't come up with the money to replace your Vespa? If you have a loan on it, you will be making payments on a junker that can't be used safely.

Please, I don't mean to preach here. I understand your loss and certainly hope it works out. Rarely do they because most people have no idea what a new Vespa sells for and this guy probably thinks he can buy out for a few hundred dollars. I wish you the best of luck.
Ossessionato
2010 Bright Orange GTS300 - Finally on the Road!
Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Posts: 2055
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:25 pm quote
I agree with Nightwing...

The reality is if the guy hit you, totaled your scooter, and you wound up with some relatively minor injuries - he owes you SEVERAL thousand dollars - regardless of the 'salvage value' of the scooter...

My guess is he is offering up a few hundred.

Unless he is essentially giving you FULL CASH replacement value for the scooter, seems that you need to be filing a police report pronto before you either get screwed by him or you mess up your chances of being covered by your own insurance.

Best of luck,

Desi B.
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:29 pm quote
NightWing wrote:
Well, I said I was done, but I have more. Rereading your initial post, I see that the guy who rear-ended you was drunk. That explains why no police were summoned because he would have been arrested.

As it stands, unless you have names of witnesses who will attest that this guy hit you, you can't prove it. He could deny everything. He is hiding from the law and you are helping him. A Vespa that suffers frame damage like that is usually considered a total loss because of the high cost of repair.

What will you do if he can't come up with the money to replace your Vespa? If you have a loan on it, you will be making payments on a junker that can't be used safely.

Please, I don't mean to preach here. I understand your loss and certainly hope it works out. Rarely do they because most people have no idea what a new Vespa sells for and this guy probably thinks he can buy out for a few hundred dollars. I wish you the best of luck.
Appreciate your help and the sound advice. We have been in close contact with the guy and he understands the costs involved and the 'fortunate' situation he is in. Multiple witnesses on hand (including close friends on the Vespa in front of us). Funds are scheduled to be handed over early this week. Regards.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 3356
Location: Denver, Colorado & Olympia, Washington
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32 pm quote
I would do this:

1) Go to the nearest police station in person
2) Bring your photos and hand-written notes about the place and time it happened
3) Obtain a police report
4) Tell the police the truth, that you are confused and shaken, and are not sure you want to pursue charges

- - - -

5) Contact the driver. Tell him you have a police report.
6) Give driver an option to make good on full repairs (replace) as was what he already 'agreed' to. About $3,000 to replace the bike is less than a typical repair would be if he had hit a car.
7) Contact insurance company, register police report, tell them you are not sure you want to proceed with the claim.

- - - -

If #5 does not happen in a day or so, Pursue charges on #4 and claim on #7.
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:44 pm quote
sharpcolorado wrote:
I would do this:

1) Go to the nearest police station in person
2) Bring your photos and hand-written notes about the place and time it happened
3) Obtain a police report
4) Tell the police the truth, that you are confused and shaken, and are not sure you want to pursue charges

- - - -

5) Contact the driver. Tell him you have a police report.
6) Give driver an option to make good on full repairs (replace) as was what he already 'agreed' to. About $3,000 to replace the bike is less than a typical repair would be if he had hit a car.
7) Contact insurance company, register police report, tell them you are not sure you want to proceed with the claim.

- - - -

If #5 does not happen in a day or so, Pursue charges on #4 and claim on #7.
Good Advice. Much appreciated!
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 4134
Location: St. Petersburg Florida
Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:48 pm quote
Without having more pics of other things on the scooter to look at and check for damage, I would expect your scoot to be worth about $1500 in parts value.
Hooked
Piaggio BV200
Joined: 16 May 2012
Posts: 244
Location: Oregon
Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:00 am quote
I once received a substantial payment for being rear ended in a friends car.. all I did was bruise my finger (tho of course received the jolt to my body in the car).
Point being there'd be money due for your pain along with the replacement of the scooter.
Then there's the aspect of enabling a drunk driver.. who walks away unpunished.
Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 1014
Location: Vienna, VA USA
Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:37 am quote
First of all, this is a police matter. You seem to be dodging the issue, but if you did not call the police and have a police report in hand (or on the way) you are a fool. Plain and simple.

For some cash and sweet talking, this guy gets away with what may well be a string of DUI incidents. By approaching the accident in this manner, you are condoning, supporting -- and perhaps encouraging -- this guy's drunk driving behavior. And just in case you didn't get the point, let me repeat: YOU ARE SUPPORTING A DRUNK DRIVER"S BEHAVIOR.

That means he pays you off and he continues doing this. That means that all the rest of us are now at increased risk from this guy. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

This may be a criminal matter, and depending upon this guy's record, may even be a felony. I'm also wondering what legal sanctions there may be against YOU for not reporting a motor vehicle accident involving the use of drugs or alcohol. And, frankly, if I was the investigator, I'd be taking a hard look at you as well. Of course, now that time has passed, there is no proving that this was a DUI incident, so this guy can now low-ball you, and you have very little to support your side of the accident.


Sorry for the rant, but for the sake of roadside convenience you may have hurt us all a bit, and especially this driver's next victim(s).

(And I'm still thinking that neither side in this story is squeaky clean.)

Note after edit: Apologies for taking the OP's lack of direct replies on the matter of the police as an indicator that the police were not involved at the scene of the incident.

Last edited by LJClark on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Molto Verboso
honda pcx suzuki burgman
Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 1078
Location: United Kingdom
Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 am quote
IF you are going to go the way you are :- ie not through insurance

he owes you what you bought the scooter for

and as it is a brand new 2009 model you are not likely to find one

so add a bit more for a new 2012 one

so thats about $3500 are you sure thats what he can afford to pay

over here its a offence not to report an accident that involed injurys

still cant see why you want to protect a drunk driver
Molto Verboso
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 1763
Location: pa
Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:56 am quote
that would be totalled via the insurance.....

do you have a police report?
Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 1014
Location: Vienna, VA USA
Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 am quote
VE VESP wrote:
sharpcolorado wrote:
I would do this:

1) Go to the nearest police station in person
2) Bring your photos and hand-written notes about the place and time it happened
3) Obtain a police report
4) Tell the police the truth, that you are confused and shaken, and are not sure you want to pursue charges

- - - -

5) Contact the driver. Tell him you have a police report.
6) Give driver an option to make good on full repairs (replace) as was what he already 'agreed' to. About $3,000 to replace the bike is less than a typical repair would be if he had hit a car.
7) Contact insurance company, register police report, tell them you are not sure you want to proceed with the claim.

- - - -

If #5 does not happen in a day or so, Pursue charges on #4 and claim on #7.
Good Advice. Much appreciated!
That wasn't just "good advice". That described what is essentially mandatory behavior.

The driver already has one "win" because you can't prove a DUI or can't point to open containers or evidence of drugs in the car.


His next win will be when he low-balls or delays the payment.

Meanwhile, he's going to tell his insurance company (if he has one) that someone backed into his car at the WalMart parking lot -- and will have pictures of his car in the parking lot to "prove" it.

Last edited by LJClark on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 3596

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:36 am quote
If the engine and transmission are not damaged, those are the only two items that have any real value and who would you sell them to? A dealer would only give you a small amount for them. I also think that you've made a mistake by not calling the police at the time of the accident. I've read about too many incidents like this where the person who was hit winds up eating their loss because the person who hit them refuses to pay (despite promising to do so). My solution would be to tell the guy who hit you that he needs to pay you exactly what you paid for the bike and he can have the wrecked scooter to do with as he pleases.
Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 500 BLUE DRAGON
Joined: 08 Oct 2008
Posts: 4157
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:41 am quote
I don't make deals with drunk drivers.

Not only did this guy hit you while drunk, you want to take him at his word and get $$$ for your wrecked scooter? He is already a drunk, driving a car, and what makes you think he is going to responsible to YOU?

Screw that, I am calling the police no matter what. I am not tolerating a drunk driver who HITS me! no matter what excuse.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 18110
Location: Kingston, Tennessee, Tn
Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 am quote
enough of telling the op what he should or should not do. they made a decision and is just asking for what folks think the scoot is worth for salvage.

IMO $500-$600 salvage value. no more.
Resident Grump
8Fun BBS01
Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 15327
Location: MN
Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:53 am quote
As it stands today, he wasn't drunk. Unless the OP somehow tested the cager, it's nothing more than speculation as to his condition immediately after the rearending.

So, what's the scoot worth as salvage?
Hooked
Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 255

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:54 am quote
Not reporting it in my state is illigal. Now both oy you have broken the law.


55-10-106. Immediate notice of accident.

(a) The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person or property damage to an apparent extent of fifty dollars ($50.00) or more shall immediately, by the quickest means of communication, give notice of the accident to the local police department if the accident occurs within a municipality, otherwise to the office of the county sheriff or the nearest office of the state highway patrol.

(b) The requirements in subsection (a) shall apply to accidents occurring upon highways and the premises of any shopping center, trailer park or any apartment house complex, or any other premises that are generally frequented by the public at large.
Lurker
aprilia sc250
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Location: sw.wisconsin
Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:35 am quote
I dont know what u paid for scooter,but if u bought it new.Fair market value with insurance company is 20% less then market value.
Member
2010 GTS 300 Super
Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 43
Location: Houston, TX
Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:41 am quote
Quote:
I dont know what u paid for scooter,but if u bought it new.Fair market value with insurance company is 20% less then market value.
This is just not true. I'm an insurance adjuster and we often get quotes from our salvage vendor about what a certain vehicle with a certain type of damage should bring at auction. The data that they give us is based on auction sale prices of similar vehicles with similar damage. I have done some freelance work in which I do not have access to a quote from our salvage vender and in those instances I figure the salvage value at %20 of actual cash value or market value (which is generally going to be less than what you paid for it). HTH.
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 am quote
Thanks for all the comments, advice and recommendations.

Police were on scene. Incident was reported, we simply did not press charges and decided to go with out of pocket pay... (insurance now involved). And he was a lucky guy.

I do not promote drinking and driving in ANY way, but i do wonder how many passing that strong condemnation have driven when they should not have.

Look forward to getting back on the VESP... whichever one that my be.

Thanks Vespa people... press on!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
BV 350, Aprilia SC 300, LX150ie, Buddy 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 6115
Location: Oregon City, OR
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:36 am quote
hexnut wrote:
Not reporting it in my state is illegal. Now both of you have broken the law.
Here too.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 7119
Location: New Hampshire
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 am quote
It's hard to believe that the police were on scene of a MV collision, the offending operator was drunk...and he wasn't arrested on the spot. He should also have been ticketed for following too close. Whether or not you wanted to press charges, if the guy was drunk, it's out of your hands.

I do hope it works out for you.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 21886
Location: north shore oahu hawaii usa
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 am quote
I would say 1k on the salvage, You might get more but i'd go with the lower amt. Good luck and i hope he pays up. Hopefully this will be the guys wake up call since you were nice to him. Sometimes that's all that's needed. Time will tell.
Member
S150
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: South Carolina
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:45 am quote
NightWing wrote:
It's hard to believe that the police were on scene of a MV collision, the offending operator was drunk...and he wasn't arrested on the spot. He should also have been ticketed for following too close. Whether or not you wanted to press charges, if the guy was drunk, it's out of your hands.

I do hope it works out for you.
We are not sure why nothing further was done by the PO at the time. We were not in the right frame of mind to suggest to the officer what he should be doing on scene.
Addicted
Vespa '09 GTS 250ie Super, '09 S150 (sold), Genuine '07 Buddy 125cc (sold)
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 502
Location: New York City
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:46 am quote
Drunk?
I'm rereading the thread and I can't find it where it says the driver was drunk. Did I miss it somewhere?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 7119
Location: New Hampshire
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:47 am quote
Re: Drunk?
Disney wrote:
I'm rereading the thread and I can't find it where it says the driver was drunk. Did I miss it somewhere?
Second sentence, first post.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.2380s ][ Queries: 32 (0.0566s) ][ Debug on ]