Piaggio Fly 50 - No AC current, stator keeps breaking
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Fly 50 4v - 2011
Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 am quote
Hi everybody,

I have a 2011 Fly 50 (4st-4v) that is giving me a lot of trouble, since I bought it a year ago, I keep having the same problem. I was hoping someone could help me here, since Piaggio America is not helping me out much.

So here it is :

Problems usually occurs when I'm full throttle, it usually start to be intermittent, then become permanent.

Symptoms are :

NO headlight, no tail light, no instrument cluster light, battery doesn't charge and chokes stay on all the time. (so everything on the AC circuit)

Brake light, turn signal and starter works.

So far Piaggio has changed 2 stator plates. This usually fixes the symptoms, but the problem reoccurred usually a month after.

I now have a scooter that is not charging battery and has no AC circuit for the last 2 months ... Piaggio can't help and are scratching their head about the possible cause. I suggested to change the volt regulator and stator plate .... last one would be main harness ....

what it you guess, anyone had a problem like this ?

thanks for your help

Daniel
Fly 50 4v - 2011
Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:05 am quote
Just came back form piaggio's dealer ... They did test, as per LA head office tech request, that all came normal ...

They will send result to them, and wait for more instruction.

Will keep you guys posted for future reference

Daniel
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:47 pm quote
Did they check the voltage regulator?
Fly 50 4v - 2011
Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:51 pm quote
They actually switch it with an other one to see if the problem would resolve, with no luck.

I'm wondering if the voltage regulator does short under heavy load ( high RPM ) and fry the stator ? Ever seen such thing ?

Daniel
Wiki Moderator
Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:37 pm quote
They'd be able to measure the output from the stator to see if it was causing spikes.
Fly 50 4v - 2011
Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:55 am quote
Frankly, I'm not sure this dealer knows or is eager to work on my scooter. They keep on telling me that Piaggio does not pay well for repairs and

I'm tempted to do some test on my end, I found on the web the Workshop Manual. I might give it a try.

I'll report.

Daniel
Wiki Moderator
Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:40 pm quote
Electrical issues are the worst because they take so long to track down when the actual repair could be something minor. I'm sure dealers aren't too enthusiastic about chasing something like this down, especially as a warranty repair.

On the other hand, that's their job and responsibility. Sometimes you just have to be persistent with them without, somehow, becoming a pest.
Fly 50 4v - 2011
Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:20 am quote
Thanks for the Reply Eric,

It is very frustrating to deal with electrical problem indeed, I can understand.

I try to be persistent without annoying them too much ... but the only way to get them to work on it, is to constantly call them for update.

There's a dealer here in Montreal, that is willing (actually eager as he likes these sort of challenges) to work on the scooter, but he is not a Piaggio authorize dealer, so they won't let him work on it under warranty.

D
Fly 50 4v - 2011
Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm quote
Here is this last week's diary :

I had to call numerous time the Piaggio dealer this week, leaving message without any returns until yesterday .... I was not an happy camper. They told me then, that they needed to swap the headlight relay as per Piaggio LA instruction to cure the problem. That was it for me ... Come on, what does an headlight relay has to do with no recharge system .

I went to the other scooter place in Montreal, these guy are passionate about scooters and they LOVE these sort of challenge ... so he started working on the scooter and 15 minutes after, they found the culprit : the stator connector on the main harness !!!!! It was VERY obvious when he showed it to me, as it was all burn out from not connecting properly and sparking. I can't believe the officla Piaggio dealer never figured out that .... After 3 stator.

Anyway, for those of you who have a LX50/S50/FLY50 4st/4v check this connector if you have my symptoms ...

D
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1370s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0359s) ][ Debug on ]