NSR - Coffee lovers of MV!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
Hooked
ET2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 pm quote
We all love the fine Italian scooters, now let's talk about another fine Italian art: coffee! Tell me about your favorite coffee, type of coffee drink, techniques, and pairings.

I'll start: I love starting the day off with a double espresso made with fresh ground Equal Exchange. I pull the shots in my pump driven DeLonghi espresso machine ensuring that the shots take around 20-24 seconds with a rich, thick crema (the light brown, foamy head on espresso).

If I'm feeling self indulgent, I'll make myself an iced caramel macchiato, which is just 2 shots of espresso, milk, and a pump of starbucks caramel syrup, which they'll sell you at the store for around $7 a bottle.

So, tell me your favorite coffee brands and how you make them and why you love them!
Ossessionato
GTS 250ie
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:06 pm quote
Maybe I'm a Philistine, but I can't be bothered to go through all that for coffee.

I do still order my favorite roasts from Porto Rico Importer/Roasters in NYC 15 years after moving away. If you live in NY stop by their store on Bleecker for real coffee heaven.

Espresso neat, occasionally with sugar.

American dark roast or french roast, black or half and half, no sugar.

I'm not too proud for Dunkin', if I must.

I drink A LOT of coffee.

I'm drinkin' some right now!!

P.
Banned
2:6
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm quote
How is this not scooter related?
Hooked
ET2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 pm quote
I live in Boston now and haven't found a good local roaster that I'm crazy about. Dunkins in Boston is about as ubiquitous as those little blue greek cups are in NYC (which I had an affection for when I lived there, but have to admit usually had the worst coffee I've ever had), and Dunkins is a joke. I think they hope I won't notice how bad the coffee is by covering it with too much cream and sugar. That's why I love to make it at home because I know I'm getting an awesome coffee prepared correctly.
Hooked
ET2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:14 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
How is this not scooter related?
Believe me, I wanted to put SSR at the most but didn't know if some pedant would take offense to the fact that it isn't exactly about scooters.
Hooked
2009 Aprilia SC250 (his) 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (hers)
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:15 pm quote
Friends don't let friends drink Char-Bux coffee.

Since moving to the home of Char-Bux I've learned quite a bit, coffee is expensive and pretty much over roasted. For some reason people have been led to believe French Roast is a quality level of roasting but it is waaay over done at that point. Then roasters turn around and charge you $12/lb for this crap.

Solution? Roast your own beans.

For about $4-$6/lb you can choose from a wide variety of green coffee beans from Asia, Central America, South America, Mexico, etc But the best part is the taste of fresh roasted coffee, each roasted to a roast level that compliments the variety of the beans and not that burn charred flavor we're all used to.

Buck the trend. Roast your own. Start by visiting http://www.sweetmarias.com online to see just what I'm talking about. They offer personally selected green beans, espresso blends, coffee machines and espresso machines -- plus lots of great know how.

Last edited by jkdrummer on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm quote
I keep it relatively simple. I'll throw what ever we happen to have into the tassimo, and then have a second. One more for the morning, and then a Timmies (black) when at work. That usually makes me gag, but I'll still go back for a fifth.
Addicted
Vespa '09 GTS 250ie Super, '09 S150 (sold), Genuine '07 Buddy 125cc (sold)
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:21 pm quote
I'm a Starbucks guy.

I just like the combination there that I can't get from anywhere else.

I like my coffee flavored... Vanilla, Hazelnut, or French Vanilla.

I add soy because regular milk upsets my stomach. Starbucks also uses Vanilla soy, so that helps with the flavor.

Plus +1 for the rewards.
Hooked
ET2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:21 pm quote
jkdrummer wrote:

Since moving to the home of Char-Bux I've learned quite a bit, coffee is expensive and pretty much over roasted. For some reason people have been led to believe French Roast is a quality level of roasting but it is waaay over done at that point. Then roasters turn around and charge you $12/lb for this crap.

Solution? Roast your own beans.

For about $4-$6/lb you can choose from a wide variety of green coffee beans from Asia, Central America, South America, Mexico, etc But the best part is the taste of fresh roasted coffee, each roasted to a roast level that compliments the variety of the beans and not that burn charred flavor we're all used to.

Buck the trend. Roast your own. Start by visiting http://www.sweetmarias.com online to see just what I'm talking about. They offer personally selected green beans, espresso blends, coffee machines and espresso machine -- plus lots of great know how.
Beautiful. I've thought about doing this. Thanks for the resource.
Addicted
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:22 pm quote
I do a single drip 'pour over' from Blue Bottle Coffee. I like their Three Africans roast.

http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/

If I stop in to Blue Bottle's brick and mortar on the way to work I pick up a bag of beans (they roast at this location) and a Gibraltar.

On the weekends it's Four Barrel or Sight Glass.

http://fourbarrelcoffee.com/
http://sightglasscoffee.com/

PM me if you want to experience these coffees. I'd be more then happy figure out logistics to ship a bag your way...
Hooked
2009 Aprilia SC250 (his) 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (hers)
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 pm quote
Shebalba wrote:
I do a single drip 'pour over' from Blue Bottle Coffee. I like their Three Africans roast.

http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/

If I stop in to Blue Bottle's brick and mortar on the way to work I pick up a bag of beans (they roast at this location) and a Gibraltar.

On the weekends it's Four Barrel or Sight Glass.

http://fourbarrelcoffee.com/
http://sightglasscoffee.com/

PM me if you want to experience these coffees. I'd be more then happy figure out logistics to ship a bag your way...
Yes! Support your local roaster.
Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:33 pm quote
During the work week I stick with filter drip in the mornings, and almost never a coffee after that. On the weekends I'll break out the Hario for an relaxed coffee 'experience'

Molto Verboso
04 Granturismo- boy thats fun to say
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:34 pm quote
I don't really care that much about coffee.

BUT

We are currently using the cold brew technique to make strong condensed coffee, that you then dilute with hot water or milk or what have you. The coffee tastes just a bit sweet using this method.
The coffee keeps for a week or so- we're not heavy drinkers. and the acidity is considerably lower.
2012 gts 300 super
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:36 pm quote
Harvey wrote:
During the work week I stick with filter drip in the mornings, and almost never a coffee after that. On the weekends I'll break out the Hario for an relaxed coffee 'experience'

i don't think you're supposed to put coffee in there
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:44 pm quote
We found this small town coffee roaster in West Middlesex, P.A. a few years back on a scooter ride. Just went there today -by scooters- to get a couple pounds. They make this stuff called "Burgh Blend" that is really, really good. It's short for Pittsburgh Blend. Hardy but smooth. Great ride into the county with coffee as a destination is a hard combo to beat.
http://www.oneillcoffee.com/

Bob
Ossessionato

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm quote
I have an Elektra manual espresso machine. I only drink one cup per day in the morning to get me going and I mix the espresso with 50% steamed milk, a dash of chocolate & honey and a little whipped cream. Makes a delicious drink that rivals anything Starbucks will sell you for $5. Takes a few minutes to make and clean up the machine but I'm retired and have nothing else to do so it's part of my morning routine seven days a week.

Elektra.jpg

Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:53 pm quote
TLO wrote:
Harvey wrote:

i don't think you're supposed to put coffee in there
Hey- I'll put my coffee where I damn well please
Addicted
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:57 pm quote
XLR8 wrote:
I have an Elektra manual espresso machine. I only drink one cup per day in the morning to get me going and I mix the espresso with 50% steamed milk, a dash of chocolate & honey and a little whipped cream. Makes a delicious drink that rivals anything Starbucks will sell you for $5. Takes a few minutes to make and clean up the machine but I'm retired and have nothing else to do so it's part of my morning routine seven days a week.
You have the espresso machine I've coveted and dreamed about for many, many years... yet you bury your delicious coffee under all of those other 'ingredients.'

Why?!
Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:07 pm quote
I love coffee.

Not the flavored, augmented stuff. Just. Coffee.
In my possibly misguided opinion, anything you add to flavor coffee takes up room where real coffee flavor should be.

Now that my daughters have moved out of the homestead, I'm the only coffee drinker left in the house. (My wife, much to the amazement of her Swedish family, won't touch the stuff.)

Daughter #1 bought me a French Press small enough for a single cup.

I grind up the beans myself (I have a coffee mill like the one below) and drink it plain and strong. Straight up.

I'm still sampling different store brands.
It turns out I'm not a big fan of the Dunkin' Donuts brand either.

kaffee.JPG

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:09 pm quote
Re: NSR - Coffee lovers of MV!
dustinius wrote:
We all love the fine Italian scooters, now let's talk about another fine Italian art: coffee! Tell me about your favorite coffee, type of coffee drink, techniques, and pairings.

I'll start: I love starting the day off with a double espresso made with fresh ground Equal Exchange. I pull the shots in my pump driven DeLonghi espresso machine ensuring that the shots take around 20-24 seconds with a rich, thick crema (the light brown, foamy head on espresso).

If I'm feeling self indulgent, I'll make myself an iced caramel macchiato, which is just 2 shots of espresso, milk, and a pump of starbucks caramel syrup, which they'll sell you at the store for around $7 a bottle.

So, tell me your favorite coffee brands and how you make them and why you love them!
You had me going there, right up until you mentioned the Starbucks Syrup
Quote:
I'm a Starbucks guy.

I just like the combination there that I can't get from anywhere else.

I like my coffee flavored... Vanilla, Hazelnut, or French Vanilla.

I add soy because regular milk upsets my stomach. Starbucks also uses Vanilla soy, so that helps with the flavor.

Plus +1 for the rewards.
Sorry, you are disqualified - this thread is about coffee. Perhaps you should have put before your post NCR (not coffee related)
Quote:
Priceless!

A few years ago while in the US I had a soy latte from Starbucks. Had to phone home to report that I was officially drinking the worst cup of coffee I had ever had (why does everything have to have sugar and extra 'flavour' added)

And don't get me started about coffee cup holders. This is a coffee cup holder

1684863-stunning-woman-holding-cup-of-espresso-looking-away.jpg

Last edited by joedevola on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:13 pm quote
There's a little place on the corner here of Via Dell'Arte and Viale della Musica that I stopped at for an espresso every morning before work when I was working in Rome... THAT, was a cup of coffee, my friends!

Coffee.jpg

Hooked
1965 Vespa 150 VBB
Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 pm quote
Rae wrote:
We are currently using the cold brew technique to make strong condensed coffee, that you then dilute with hot water or milk or what have you. The coffee tastes just a bit sweet using this method.
The coffee keeps for a week or so- we're not heavy drinkers. and the acidity is considerably lower.
I love Hilah's video on this. I love Hilah period, she's a nut.

http://hilahcooking.com/how-to-make-iced-coffee/
Menhir wrote:
Not the flavored, augmented stuff. Just. Coffee.
In my possibly misguided opinion, anything you add to flavor coffee takes up room where real coffee flavor should be.
Totally agree. Coffee shouldn't be flavored with anything but coffee, and I put nothing in my coffee. Nothing in espresso. Even if I have Turkish coffee, nothing goes in it, no cream, no sugar. My parents use Dunkin' Dognuts coffee and pour in that industrial waste that is labeled as "flavored non-dairy creamer"; I gag just thinking about it. It's almost like they don't really like the taste of coffee and are trying to cover it up.
Hooked
ET2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 pm quote
Rae wrote:
I don't really care that much about coffee.

BUT

Cold brewed coffee is awesome. You're right: it is way less acidic and has a sweet, clean taste. If I'm making iced, this is the only way to go.

For those of you who have never done this, it's easy to do and worth trying. Just take some very coarsely ground coffee and put it in a glass jar with filtered water (I think the same proportions apply here as to drip coffee) and let it set for around 24 hours. It really reveals different qualities of the coffee that you don't get from drip.
Hooked
ET2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:32 pm quote
Also, with regards to the folks who don't add sugar/milk/etc to the coffee: I totally agree. I don't consider my homemade caramel macchiatos coffee drinks any more than I consider lemonade water. Coffee is like whiskey: you really need to drink it straight to experience it correctly. If you need to add extra ingredients to it to make it palatable, you're drinking the wrong stuff.
Banned
PGO Buddy 150 "St Tropez" imported by Genuine scooter co.
Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:43 pm quote
Menhir that is a hellava shot of java. I don't like to "taint" good coffee with flavors, but work coffee I'll pour-to-taste. Cool press you have. I may have to try that.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:10 pm quote
I turn back the clock a little to green beans. I buy shade grown high elevation beans when I'm in Mexico in the winter. I belong to a little co-op that helps me get dry processed Ethiopean green beans (Yirgacheffe or Sidamo). I roast a 50:50 blend myself - and use the blend within 7-10 days of roasting. I pull espresso shots on my Expobar (I prefer ristrettos) and then mark them with a bit of microfoam (a macchiato). A couple in the morning start my day off right. Then I saddle up my scooter and off I go . (Does all this make me a coffee - and scooter - snob? Well sure, and I love it!)
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:20 pm quote
Paul G. wrote:
Bleeker
known to cause flashblacks in the wee hours.
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:22 pm quote
Harvey wrote:
During the work week I stick with filter drip in the mornings, and almost never a coffee after that. On the weekends I'll break out the Hario for an relaxed coffee ]
Put a couple of grains of epsom salts in the plant water.

Bialetti stovetop espresso, several sizes of pots, Yama siphon, a pair of french presses. Way, to much coffee here. Menhir's same type grinder resides here.

Last edited by tomjasz on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150
Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:24 pm quote
Beans from:

http://www.batdorfcoffee.com/

French press

Toddy when it gets hot
Banned
2:6
Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:02 pm quote
I don't go high end on the beans, the cafe down the street roasts them and it's good enough when prepared with care.

In the mornings I use a hand grinder and french press. Later in the day I sometimes make another cup, single cup drip (have to adjust the grinder).

When on a ride I typically go for espresso.
Hooked
ET2

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
I turn back the clock a little to green beans. I buy shade grown high elevation beans when I'm in Mexico in the winter. I belong to a little co-op that helps me get dry processed Ethiopean green beans (Yirgacheffe or Sidamo). I roast a 50:50 blend myself - and use the blend within 7-10 days of roasting. I pull espresso shots on my Expobar (I prefer ristrettos) and then mark them with a bit of microfoam (a macchiato). A couple in the morning start my day off right. Then I saddle up my scooter and off I go . (Does all this make me a coffee - and scooter - snob? Well sure, and I love it!)
Well played, sir. Well played.
The Host with the Toast
Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:10 pm quote
Black cat coffee is by far the best I have ever had
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:25 pm quote
The Mocker wrote:
Beans from: http://www.batdorfcoffee.com/
French press Toddy when it gets hot
Batdorf and Bronson - yummm! I try to stop in at their downtown shop whenever I am in Olympia.
Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly
Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:52 pm quote
I have been spoiled absolutely rotten. We have a Diva Espresso on the first floor of our building and the foam is to die for. I usually go for a soy chai latte, but sometimes a single shot mocha. Others rave about the mocha chumley.
Ossessionato
Temporarily Scooterless... :(
Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:16 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
The Mocker wrote:
Beans from: http://www.batdorfcoffee.com/
French press Toddy when it gets hot
Batdorf and Bronson - yummm! I try to stop in at their downtown shop whenever I am in Olympia.
Mmm... Love their beans as well! Always worth a side trip to Oly when in that part of the country - though I miss their older/smaller space on the main drag.

We have a local place in Albuquerque (Napoli Coffee) that uses their beans - I hang out there a fair bit. Also have a place in town that does Intelligentsia beans too (The Grove).

Also have some exceptional coffee roasters in town as well: Michael Thomas Coffee, Whiting Coffee and Moon's Coffee.

Our method: Stovetop Espresso Pot (we have 3-4 of them, different sizes) - Coffee plus a bit 'o cream.

Desi B.
Ossessionato
GTS250

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 pm quote
I have 3 sources:

Temple coffee. It is not bad, around the corner so convenient.

Malabar Gold, from Bean Central.

Something from Whole Foods, that has been roasted that day or the day before.

Espresso machine, Isomac Tea: (Teh-ah, not TEE)

(dang thing has doubled in price since I bought mine 8 years ago)

It is an HX boiler, so I can steam and pull one shot right after the other. I have made up to a dozen drinks in a row for a party. Only stopped because I ran out of milk for the drinks.

and a Simonelli grinder. Bottomless portafilter.

Usually straight up, standing at the machine, and then a second double for an Americano, light on the half/half, or a Cappuccino.

When it is hot, I will do the Americano or Cap iced, with a little sugar added.
Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:23 am quote
Lavazza Espresso - its the fuel that Italy runs on. I'm a lazy maker and have an automatic maker after many years of owning a Bialetti. It grinds the beans for extra laziness.

Triple shot first thing and then
jum on the Super to fence with London traffic.

I can't do with it and am addicted. I cut it out when pregnant but post partum my consumption is higher
than ever.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super (RIP) / Stella 2T
Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:00 am quote
Re: NSR - Coffee lovers of MV!
dustinius wrote:

Ah, finally a thread after my own heart.

Usually, during the week, I do a double shot americano before I leave for work, made from my Nespresso machine. Then another double americano to top off in the afternoon... this time usually made from a Caffe Vita beans from a local joint.

Weekends, I start with Espresso Vivace's double shot, Macchiato style. Then an American in the afternoon, usually from Stumptown, Victrola, or another place nearby.

We do have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to different places to get coffees.

(My weakness would be a shot of Black Cat, ristretto. But that's not as easy to come by.)
Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:15 am quote
something fancy from Drury Coffee, or Lavazza from the shop down the end of the road

french press and a manual milk frother. I have trained Birreh to make a perfect latté using this method.

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold
Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:38 am quote
Cheap Walmart decaf from a stainless steel percolator -- yes, percolator! With a little half-and-half or heavy cream.
Someone earlier said he might be a Philistine. Hey, I'm prehistoric!
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
[ Time: 0.3147s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0682s) ][ Debug on ]